daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #4321
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
Bro believe me, they are not going to let muslim country to host Olympic Games, even if it has a budget of few western countries. Maybe it is my opinion, but i don't believe it anyway. A great example of it is ISTANBUL. For Azerbaijan it is early for Olympics (maybe in next years) i can accept it, maybe Istanbul and Kuala-Lumpur can do it once. But i hope best wishes to Doha too!
couldnt say it any better thanks
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #4322
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
couldnt say it any better thanks
Oh yeah, now everyone is against muslim countries in the IOC or what ? Giving Istanbul as an argument for this statement is rubbish, everyone knows Turkey has a seperation of state and religion.

It's bull to say that 'they won't let muslim countries host the olympics'. As long as those muslim countries don't have some fundamental regime like Saudi Arabia, as long as they respect women's rights, etc etc, there is no reason why a muslim country can't host the olympics.

Fact is that Azerbaijan is probably too poor at this moment to host the Olympics. Doha may have a fair chance, the hot weather in their summer is against them though. Both have nothing to do with being a 'muslim county'.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #4323
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Lind View Post
You saw only best views. I think Baku is typical post-Soviet city.
I think your country is typical post-soviet country. Think about it!
Galandar no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #4324
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Bro believe me, they are not going to let muslim country to host Olympic Games, even if it has a budget of few western countries. Maybe it is my opinion, but i don't believe it anyway. A great example of it is ISTANBUL. For Azerbaijan it is early for Olympics (maybe in next years) i can accept it, maybe Istanbul and Kuala-Lumpur can do it once. But i hope best wishes to Doha too!
KL won't get them for a while. Too much political tension.

Just look at what happened during the Commonwealth games there. Rioting erupted, police locked down the city, coverage moved from the games to the people getting hit with tear gas canisters in the streets. It's far too early for KL to host. They need to work on human rights a lot more first.

and before anyone starts saying "what about China then?" - Beijing and KL are two different cities. KL segregates because of Race, Beijing does it through class and money.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4325
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
GDP growth of 20% or 30% per year? That's kinda impossible really, do you have facts to prove those percentages? Azerbaijan is just too poor to host the olympics at this time - even for Greece, that is more developed than Azerbaijan and has a higher population - the Olympics were a huge investment. And is there any info on where the olympic site will be located in Baku, what constructions are needed, what they will cost and what they will look like etc? None of this info can be found on the bid's website...
Look at data about Azerbaijan in 2006 here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/aj.html

And try to plus 25% to all this (in 2007% GDP growth more than 25%)
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4326
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Look at data about Azerbaijan in 2006 here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/aj.html

And try to plus 25% to all this (in 2007% GDP growth more than 25%)
My bad, I didn't know Azerbaijan had that much oil. But it appears that the gdp growth is solely because of this oil, or as the CIA factbook states:

Quote:
Baku has only recently begun making progress on economic reform, and old economic ties and structures are slowly being replaced. Several other obstacles impede Azerbaijan's economic progress: the need for stepped up foreign investment in the non-energy sector, the continuing conflict with Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, and the pervasive corruption.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #4327
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Chicago Olympic bid

Chicago 2016 applicant official bid details released......
http://www.chicago2016.org/ioc_down.aspx

city's official bid in pdf.....
http://208.96.205.108/Chicago_2016_Applicant_File.pdf
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #4328
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Anberlin no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4329
speed_demon

Likes (Received): 456

BAKU 2016 - I BELIEVE!

speed_demon no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #4330
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

You have my support. I didn't know about this bid
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #4331
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burislav View Post
You have my support. I didn't know about this bid
Thanks bro!
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #4332
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
My bad, I didn't know Azerbaijan had that much oil. But it appears that the gdp growth is solely because of this oil, or as the CIA factbook states:
Let them think so. Anyway in 2007 corruption rates were decreased but economy increased very fast
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4333
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

Greetings from the 2nd richest country again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4I.â.B4 View Post
I received this from Qatar Son

Doha launches bid for hosting 2016 Olympics
Published: Wednesday, 16 January, 2008, 01:55 AM Doha Time

Sports Reporter
Hassan Ali bin Ali (second left), chairman of the 2016 Doha Bid Committee, addressing a media gathering along with his bid teammates Hamad al-Baker (right), Laila Hussain and Farid al-Abdullah (left), at the InterContinental Hotel in Doha yesterday
QATAR has not left any stone unturned for the Olympic Candidate City selection in June. The Doha 2016 application file submitted on Monday to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has promised more than what one can dream about and certainly puts the capital as one of the frontrunners for the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics Games bid.
What gives Doha the edge is the fact that no Arab nation has ever organised the mega event before.
‘The Games would create understanding, hope and change that could unite the entire region with the rest of the world’ is the trump card that Qatar has used in the bid application.
That’s not all. Qatar is already a sporting powerhouse in the region and has world-class sporting facilities already in place with more than 70% of the venues ready. And what’s going to give an added advantage is the compact plan and state-of-the-art venues.
Around 85% of the athletes will compete within a 7.5km radius from the Olympic Village. The farthest venue is only 30km away.
The oil and gas-rich country had taken the 2006 Asian Games to a new level and the standards set then will be hard to match in coming years. The 100% financial backing and full support from the government can’t go unnoticed.
“We have full support from the Emir of Qatar HH Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani and HH the Heir Apparent Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani and the members of the government. Without them we couldn’t have put forward such a concrete proposal,” said the chairman of the Doha 2016 bid committee, Hassan Ali bin Ali, during a press briefing yesterday.
The budget for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be structured in principle on a 60/40 basis of public and private financing. Besides the funding from the IOC and the government of Qatar, Doha 2016 estimates that it can generate $784mn through an innovative commercial programme. From sponsorship $450mn, ticket sales $259mn, licensing $15mn and others $60mn. The total Games budget will be well over $2.5bn.
The bid application also mentions 86% support from the people in Doha and of the region backing the Games, based on an independent poll.
“We have managed to gain full support from the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) heads of the state during the recently concluded GCC Summit in Doha,” reveals Ali bin Ali.
If you think the influx of the large number of delegates and Games enthusiasts into the country would be a cause of worry; then you are wrong. Doha will surpass the minimum accommodation bar of 60,000 rooms and has guaranteed 82,852 rooms, of which 87% will be within 10km of the Games centre.
Doha has 17,964 hotel rooms as of now, primarily in four and five-star and deluxe apartment hotel categories. A total of 22 new hotels with 4,854 rooms will open by this summer, in addition to 2,319 delux apartments, hotel rooms and 1,212 expected this year. The Doha Port will also house a minimum of 6,000 visitors in luxury cruise ships.
“Accommodation will not be a problem. We have made sure to stay well above the required 60,000 rooms norm set by the IOC. This was always a part of the Qatar infrastructure development plan and so we can fulfil those requirements with ease,” assured Ali bin Ali.
Qatar has already invested heavily to develop transportation infrastructure. The new Doha International Airport to be completed by 2009 has a capacity of 50mn passengers annually with the most modern paraphernalia. By the Games, the metro /light rail network with tram lines and feeder bus network will be in place as per the bid proposal.
What should be an added advantage in Doha’s favour would be the carbon-neutral Games with zero waste goal focusing on water reclamation, conservation, renewable resources, international sustainable design competition.
The Games will also promote social progress throughout the region creating programmes to foster mutual respect and gender equality; support for Paralympics athletes.
However, the region’s volatility could be the only deterrent factor to Qatar’s aspirations. The West has been sceptical of the Arab nations and to convince them on the security aspect would be a big ask. Ali bin Ali rubbished such claims and said, “We have never faced any security concerns in the past and are confident of conducting the Games smoothly. The successful completion of the Asian Games in 2006 is a prime example.”
Qatar has proposed October 14-30 as the dates for the Games in 2016 which is quite contrary to the dates of the Games held in the past.
“Lot of people have asked me the question why not early? But we have gone through the climatic condition of this region in the last 10 years and have come to the conclusion that these dates were ideal for the athletes to give their best.
“We have also sifted through the records and found that dates are not at all a problem for the IOC as there are cases when the Games have been hosted in November-December.”
Sheikh Saoud bin Abdulrahman al-Thani, secretary-general of the Qatar Olympic Committee, was also pleased with the way things have gone so far.
“I received a lot of calls from the IOC members after the submission of the applicant file. I request all the people in Qatar to rally behind our Games bid.

Last edited by QatPhils; January 16th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #4334
ņuto

Likes (Received): 0

Galandar,do you have the Baku 2016 mini-bid book please?
ņuto no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #4335
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 2943

Madrid shall wait until 2020, i think. For 2016, i would take Rio.
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #4336
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Chicago will get the 2016 Bid.
Dallasbrink no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4337
PejatBR

Likes (Received): 32

The fight will be between three: Rio de Janeiro, Chicago and Tokyo. But Rio will have to make an effort to structure as well as the others.
PejatBR no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #4338
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Online bid books

Online bid books released. I guess Baku and Prague haven't released theirs yet.

(PDF Format)

Chicago - http://208.96.205.108/Chicago_2016_Applicant_File.pdf

Tokyo - http://www.tokyo2016.or.jp/applicant/TOKYO2016.pdf

Rio - http://www.cob.org.br/candidatura/imgs/rio2016.pdf

Madrid - http://www.madrid2016.es/pdf/CUESTIO...S-ESPANOL).pdf

Doha - http://www.gamesbids.net/library/app...stionnaire.pdf
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4339
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

We thought we were going to get New York for 2012 but we didn't. And I think Salt Lake City will reclaim the 2018 or 2022 bid just because our infrastructure was made for the Olympics and we're still vastly improving on it. Plus the accessibility of the ski resorts from the city is un matched by any other contender. Just a 35 minute drive at the most. Plus our snow is... well I like to say it's like floating on top of a cloud. We have the fastest ice at the Utah Olympic Oval. Plus pretty much all the US winter athletes train in Utah. It is a natural setting for any Winter Olympic Games.
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4340
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ņuto View Post
Galandar,do you have the Baku 2016 mini-bid book please?
I am interested in it very much, unfortunately i have no information about it yet

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016