daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 31st, 2005, 08:57 AM   #421
Lex

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu
Well your telling us that Paris has this won hands down.Ofcourse i'm going to laugh.What's the point of the other cities preparing for their bids?
Look.I do agree that Paris is the favourite.But to simply imply that it is in the bag is nonsense.Besides i do think that a couple of other cities are making very good bids and giving Paris lots of competition.
Just bear in mind that the favourite doesn't always win.
But if you want to be arrogant and think it's already won.Then go ahead as this can only benefit the other candidates.
Not necessarily Peshu - there are reports that London has practically given up in response to overwhelming support for Paris... Heres an article. (Don't shoot the messenger).

"Headlines in the Sunday Observer screamed “London’s Torch Goes Out” and “London’s Olympic Dream In Tatters”. The Observer reported that key members of the bidding team have told the newspaper, “London has in effect abandoned hope of winning the 2012 Olympic Games, because it is so far behind Paris”.

One unnamed board member is quoted as saying Paris had taken an unassailable lead in the bidding process while a second stated that morale among the top brass had plummeted.

Mike Lee, London 2012’s director of communications, described the pessimism from within the bid as “a nonsense”. He said the mood is upbeat and confident. “We have received extremely positive feedback on our proposals, and on the details of our candidate file which we submitted in November”.

Culture secretary Tessa Jowell dismissed the story and declared those involved in the London campaign believe the race for the 2012 Games is still wide open. She said “the newspaper report claims key figures in government have given up hope of winning. I’ve never met these people, nor spoken to them”.

Bid chairman Sebastian Coe said he was astonished by the report. He said that recent discussions with all 22 of the bid’s board members had failed to uncover any disenchantment.

He told BBC Radio Five, “the only reaction this story has brought from the whole of the senior team this morning, and I’ve spoken to many of them, is incredulity. It quotes an unnamed board member. There are 22 of these and I met them all two weeks ago. Unanimously they endorsed the strategy and thinking behind the bid”.

Coe said, “the only issue raised by IOC members is that they feel this is one of the toughest competitions they’ve been in. They think we’re doing rather well”.

A London 2012 spokesman told GamesBids.com that they believe the story was designed to be as sensational as possible but is so poorly researched and reported that it lacks any substance or credibility. He said there were no sources named and every source is anonymous.

The spokesman told GamesBids that “a senior London sports editor has already expressed his doubts publicly about the story, telling BBC Radio Five Live this morning that ‘I don’t think the story is right’”.

He added, the story also demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge or understanding of the Olympic Games itself, citing an example that at one point the report talks about 16 Olympic sports when there are actually 28 sports."
Lex no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM   #422
ua_emirates

Likes (Received): 5

MADRID
ua_emirates no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM   #423
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

LONDON should win bring back some excitement to the games
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:38 AM   #424
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 262

London should get it because I live there :p

I'm joking before everyone starts getting a tantrum.

London should get it but i'll post why tomarrow.
eXSBass no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:53 AM   #425
rational crazy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

After the racist incidents in Spain where a multitude of Spaniard had called blacks monkeys, Madrid is DISCARDED!

Madrid is banished of world-wide esport calendar!
rational crazy no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:24 AM   #426
Mo Rush

k so moscow stand no chance and madrid does not either who knows why new york even try?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:54 AM   #427
skysdalimit
Uptown Bound

Likes (Received): 132

I LOVE NYC!!! And they are building a new $1.5 billion stadium on the West Side of Manhattan. That's why, not to mention the symbolic post-9/11 rebound.
skysdalimit no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM   #428
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
Not necessarily Peshu - there are reports that London has practically given up in response to overwhelming support for Paris... Heres an article. (Don't shoot the messenger).

"Headlines in the Sunday Observer screamed “London’s Torch Goes Out” and “London’s Olympic Dream In Tatters”. The Observer reported that key members of the bidding team have told the newspaper, “London has in effect abandoned hope of winning the 2012 Olympic Games, because it is so far behind Paris”.

One unnamed board member is quoted as saying Paris had taken an unassailable lead in the bidding process while a second stated that morale among the top brass had plummeted.

Mike Lee, London 2012’s director of communications, described the pessimism from within the bid as “a nonsense”. He said the mood is upbeat and confident. “We have received extremely positive feedback on our proposals, and on the details of our candidate file which we submitted in November”.

Culture secretary Tessa Jowell dismissed the story and declared those involved in the London campaign believe the race for the 2012 Games is still wide open. She said “the newspaper report claims key figures in government have given up hope of winning. I’ve never met these people, nor spoken to them”.

Bid chairman Sebastian Coe said he was astonished by the report. He said that recent discussions with all 22 of the bid’s board members had failed to uncover any disenchantment.

He told BBC Radio Five, “the only reaction this story has brought from the whole of the senior team this morning, and I’ve spoken to many of them, is incredulity. It quotes an unnamed board member. There are 22 of these and I met them all two weeks ago. Unanimously they endorsed the strategy and thinking behind the bid”.

Coe said, “the only issue raised by IOC members is that they feel this is one of the toughest competitions they’ve been in. They think we’re doing rather well”.

A London 2012 spokesman told GamesBids.com that they believe the story was designed to be as sensational as possible but is so poorly researched and reported that it lacks any substance or credibility. He said there were no sources named and every source is anonymous.

The spokesman told GamesBids that “a senior London sports editor has already expressed his doubts publicly about the story, telling BBC Radio Five Live this morning that ‘I don’t think the story is right’”.

He added, the story also demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge or understanding of the Olympic Games itself, citing an example that at one point the report talks about 16 Olympic sports when there are actually 28 sports."

Well i still think that both Madrid and New York will be serious contenders.Although being realistic.I think that Paris will indeed win.But you never know.
Peshu no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM   #429
daft_freak

where is athens? dont shoot!
daft_freak no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:11 PM   #430
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysdalimit
I LOVE NYC!!! And they are building a new $1.5 billion stadium on the West Side of Manhattan. That's why, not to mention the symbolic post-9/11 rebound.
No offence, but I think the violins for 9/11 stopped playing a long time ago... especially since Afghanistan and Iraq...
Lex no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #431
legolas
I'm back!

They are here.... I can feel them....
legolas no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #432
BOLSCHOI
Bannerbeauftragter

Likes (Received): 81

Moscow
Moscow touts its river, new facilities, and the city’s Olympic track record

Among the remaining contenders for the 2012 Olympics, Moscow was the most recent host to the games. Political tensions overshadowed the 1980 Olympics, as most Western nations boycotted them. The desire to hold a full-fledged Olympics has been cited by Russian officials as a major stimulus to the current bid. The sporting events of 1980 also left a wide-ranging infrastructure in place that will contribute the essential components in 2012.

The futuristic $500 million Olympic Village, media hub, and press center would be the games’ most ambitious project. The Luzhniki Olympic Complex, built for the 1980 games, will receive major additions. A new fanlike stadium, for soccer, will also rise in the Otradnoe suburb of Moscow.

www.m2012.ru/en/ | Photography courtesy Moscow 2012 Bid Committee

During the formal bid presentation in November, the plan outlined a vision of a compact Olympic quarter, located entirely within the city limits. Most venues are spread out in five complexes within the radius of about 6 miles along the sinuous Moskva (Moscow) River. A group of planners and architects from Studio #2 of Mosproekt-4 Institute is responsible for the concept. The river contributes not only the spatial axis to the scheme, but also serves as the main transportation artery, where spectators can be ferried to sites from 70 passenger piers. The so-called “Olympic River Concept” is also an effort to showcase the city. The Moskva meanders for about 45 miles from the northwest to the southeast of the city, unfolding along the historic center around the Kremlin to the edifices of the Soviet period.

Another selling point of Moscow’s bid is the readiness of more than two thirds of the necessary infrastructure. As in the 1980 Olympics, the Luzhniki Olympic Complex and its Olympic Park will be at the core of the games, hosting opening and closing ceremonies and many sporting events. The structure of the Luzhniki Stadium was built in 1957 and renovated in 1979 and 2000. Major additions are planned from 2009 to 2011. A number of complexes built for the 1980 games will be refurbished, including the Krylatskoe
racetrack and the CSKA soccer/track-and-field stadium.

While new venues will go up in the Tushino area of Moscow, the single most ambitious new project includes a planned set of buildings for the Olympic Village, media hub, and press center. This gleaming complex, each building with a terracelike descent toward the river, will rise in the northwest of Moscow at a cost of more than $500 million.

The financial estimate for the games is a modest $2.5 billion. Planners tout Moscow’s experience with major sporting events and the value of holding the games in the “New Russia.” 2012 will also mark the hundredth anniversary of Russia’s participation in the Olympics. It is only ironic that IOC inspectors are unlikely to experience the vital “Olympic River Concept” during their planned February visit. The waterways are likely to be barely navigable, covered in snow and ice.

BOLSCHOI no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #433
with_a
...........^_^

Moscow
with_a no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #434
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

^

\/
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #435
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

london
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #436
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 51

Spain already had it in 92 forget them, New York or London deserve it most. Defaintely be important to NY as they will be continuing to "re-build" after 9/11. An event like 9/11 stays with a city for a long long time not something u can just brush off after 11 years....
Barsby no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #437
Be_Happy

Who cares if a city/country has hosted it before? There's no rule against it and its not as if its going to ruin the games. It might be unfair, but that's life...

London should definately be hosting in 2012. The London stadium is out of this world, amazing. If that doesn't get built, i'll be very dissapointed. Moscow doesn't look too bad either. If London doesn't get it, then I hope it goes to Moscow. I suspect, however that Paris is gooing to be hosting the games in 2012.

1 - London
2 - Moscow
3 - Paris
4 - Madrid
5 - New York
Be_Happy no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #438
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

just be serious:

-Unfortunately NYC is out because this controversial west city stadium has been too much talked about...it raised too many issues so in the meantime none of the other aspects of the bid are discussed...

-moscow :themselves they know they won't have it

so it's a 3-horse-race really.

and if Madrid gets stronger (IOC members apparently were so impressed by the madrid infrastructures that they applauded several times during their visit) this will damage London'position at number 2 more than Paris number 1 spot...

I really think it's will be between Paris and London/Madrid. I doubt the final round will oppose London and Madrid.

There are high possibilities madrid comes back at the number 2 spot (even number 1 before Paris) come june (final IOC report).

If so, London:bye bye

Then if it's a Madrid/Paris fight: i predict (and hope) Paris will win with 55 % votes. But i could be wrong
kony no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #439
Mo Rush

9/11 HAPPENED many days in iraq its does not make new york deserve the olympics remember the usa is not the most popular place amongst the global audience,
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #440
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

And Neither is Cape Town.......its his opinion dont alter it also please speak english in this forum...."9/11 HAPPENED Many days in Iraq..."?? what r u talking about?
Giorgio no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016