daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #4401
Bandera
Ukraine/USA

Likes (Received): 168

I also think that Baku and Doha will host good olimpic games if they are given a chance, but honesly i think Chicago is the clear winner for 2016 bid.

De Ucrania con amor

Ucrania La Tierra de Belleza

Kyiv/Kиjев
Bandera no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4402
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

They would host great games, I just think Chicago's bid book looked better put together and portrayed the Olympic spirit better then the other cities.
Dallasbrink no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #4403
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

consider that China is now the highest polluter...not the US, it doesnt follow kyoto either, AND China executed between 7,500 and 8,000 people in 2006.

Yet they still got the Olympics in 2008.

I don't think Chicago will have any problem.
xXFallenXx no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #4404
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

True, the U.S. is held a higher standard in some respects then some other host or potential host as hypocritical as it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfbrumalta View Post
I think Chicago will win it, just for one reason: it is located in the USA, north hemisphere, and it is time for an american city to host the olympic games.

However USA is the major greenhouse gases emitter in the world, it did not follow kyoto protocol and it is permanently under threat of terror. These do not seem to harmonize with a olympic bid, do they?

Rio has big problems with crime and public transport. Some solutions are underway, with or without the 2016 olympic games, since there is the 2014 world cup and the city will host the final match.

But i still think Chicago will be the winner.
Good and fair analysis on both city's. I think U.S. foreign policy may come into play more then its green houses though and Chicago is known for having many leading green initiatives in the U.S. so the environment is not a problem. However I do think that both city's (Rio and Chicago) will offer the best scenic vistas and views. I would like to see the city's host back to back but whereas I feel that Rio will eventually get it sometime soon I think this is more a one time opportunity for Chicago to be a serious candidate for a very long time.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #4405
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfbrumalta View Post
However USA is the major greenhouse gases emitter in the world, it did not follow kyoto protocol and it is permanently under threat of terror. These do not seem to harmonize with a olympic bid, do they?
We had to worry about Terror threats in Athens, Salt Lake and Torino. All free countries get terror threats. Also China is a Communist country that does not allow free trade and keeps a close eye on what freedoms and liberties its citizens can have. They execute people in higher rates then the USA for lesser crimes then in the USA. Another thing, China is THE LARGEST Green House gas emitter in the world and USA is on the fore front of green alternatives.
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #4406
Bandera
Ukraine/USA

Likes (Received): 168

I agree with you!

De Ucrania con amor

Ucrania La Tierra de Belleza

Kyiv/Kиjев
Bandera no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #4407
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

These territories used to be oil territories in 10 km to Baku center. If Baku bid wins, they are going to make these territories a big park with different sport venues. A great project!

Galandar no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #4408
Dallasbrink
BANNED

So do they need to use the olympics as there launching board for cleaning up there mass?
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4409
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
So do they need to use the olympics as there launching board for cleaning up there mass?
Actually, they do not. But they hope to come investments in these territories. It is a long process and take few years to make this territory full of apartments, parks and sport venues.
The government of Azerbaijan have begun to clean up all the oil structures from those territories.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4410
Dallasbrink
BANNED

yayaya, if they dont get the Olympics (thats a small if) then this wont get cleaned up for another 50 years...So that means it wont be cleaned up for another 50 years.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM   #4411
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

I wouldn't discount Doha from the reckoning, although they may have a better chance in 2020. I would agree that Chicago is the favourite though.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM   #4412
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
yayaya, if they dont get the Olympics (thats a small if) then this wont get cleaned up for another 50 years...So that means it wont be cleaned up for another 50 years.
Why are you so rude? This project was approved one year before Baku apply to be an applicant city. Project consist of three parts. And in 2015 Baku boulevard will be prolonged from 3 km to 15 km along Baku bay. They don't wait for IOC's candidate cities announcement. They have begun this work.
Actually i am in New York city now, it is a big and good city, but believe in general Baku is not that worser in comparison. Please don't be ignorant! It is not the best way to associate with people
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:32 AM   #4413
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Some awesome projects in Baku

Hotel Crecsent u/c

SOCAR Tower u/c (Note:SOCAR - State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic)

Old January 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4414
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

New committee set up to spread green message through sports

A PERMANENT forum has been formed to strengthen Doha’s bid for the 2016 Olympics by using sports as a tool to promote awareness about the environment, a spokesman said yesterday.
Consisting of seven members, the new body – Sports and Environment Committee (SEC) – will work under the Qatar National Olympic Committee (QNOC).
It is headed by Saif Ali al-Hajari, who is also the chairman of the Friends Of Environment Centre (FEC).
“Environment has become a third pillar, after culture and sports in any progressive country’s portfolio. We don’t aim to be just another committee, but take concrete action, which is highlighted in our first year’s slogan ‘From Plan to Action,” said al-Hajri, while announcing the formation of the committee to media yesterday.
During the meeting, al-Hajari also announced that December 1, will be observed as a Sports and Environment Day in Qatar every year.
“We will be organising seminars, workshops, conferences, school trips and whatever it takes to make sure that every one in Qatar understands the local and international environmental dynamics,” he said.
The other members of the committee are: vice chairman, Mohammed al-Sayrafi (FEC), Yousuf al-Kazim (FEC), Tariq Saeed al-Abdallah (QNOC), Ghanim Ali al-Kuwari (QNOC), Yousuf Ibrahim al-Hamar (Supreme Council for Environment and Natural Reserves) and Ismail Mohamed Hasan.
The logo of the SEC is the internationally recognised Olympic sign placed under a lime-green palm tree branch.
“While the palm tree will be the symbol of environment, it also represents the Qatari climate and culture,” explained al-Hajari.
Also speaking on the occasion was al-Sayrafi, who said: “Our aim is not only to ensure that sport activities are not causing any environmental degradation, but also to involve the businesses and clubs and communities in order to sustain that plan.”
According to him, the committee is hoping to organise a regional environmental conference, inviting all the sports clubs and federations.
“From here on, we are calling every one in Qatar, from schools to shopping centres, exhibition places to media, to extend co-operation with us in order to ‘change the behaviour’ of all,” he added.
Asked whether SEC was a requirement of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for Qatar’s bid of Olympic 2016, Dr al-Hajari said: “Yes, all candidate cities need to showcase their environmental track record to IOC in order to be able to make a presentation.”
“Officials of IOC will also make random inspections including talking to locals and residents during the Olympic bid. We need every one in Qatar to be environmentally aware and help us achieve 2016
,” he said.
Yousuf al-Hamar of SCENR emphasised on the environmentally-friendly venues during the selection process, while highlighting the role sports clubs and their managements can play in minimising the use of resources, recycling of water and waste management.
“We will also be coming up with a lot of activities pertaining to monitoring of air, water and soil in Qatar,” said al-Hamar.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #4415
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

You really are into it are you?
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4416
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Took you long ! btw no news these days ...... oh well maybe
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4417
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

What do you mean?
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4418
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Im glad we build green buildings now, even though global warming is fake.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM   #4419
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

no, green as in not to harm the enviroment..... save the trees and animals anyone ?
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #4420
Dallasbrink
BANNED

o please, there are enough trees and Animals, there environmentalist have filled your heads with lies!

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016