daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4441
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Doha 2016 Unveils Youth Ambassador Programme

The Doha 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid committee has unveiled its Youth Ambassador Programme aimed at schools in Doha, according to Qatar publications.

At a press conference in Doha, Dr. Saif Ali Al Hajari, Environment Director of Doha 2016 said, “we at Doha 2016 bid committee call upon students from various schools in Doha to be 2016 Doha Olympics bid ambassadors.

“As part of the program we invited schools in Qatar to select three students to be our ambassadors. They would act as promoting our bid for 2016 Olympics. They can highlight the role of Qatar and help build awareness about 2016 Olympics”.

He added that about 500 schools in Qatar would be invited to send their students, including schools for special needs.

The bid committee has already selected four students from different schools and the rest will be selected by March 3, and all of them will undergo special orientation sessions in the coming months.

Al Hajari said “students who can speak more than one language, drawn from different nationalities will serve as official bid representatives. These students will be trained here in Doha and if the need arises we will send them abroad for further training”.

Speaking about the program Hassan Ali bin Ali, Chairman of Doha 2016 said, “leveraging our youth through the Youth Ambassadors Programme will enable us to unleash the power of the Olympic Movement and sport to create understanding, hope and change that could unit the entire region with the rest of the world”.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #4442
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

In addition to the new 70,000-seat stadium, a 40,000-seat stadium is also planned for Baku. The existing 30,000-seat Tofig Bakhramov Stadium could be put at 3rd place soon.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #4443
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Rio 2016 Bid Video

JPBrazil no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #4444
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Well I don't want to get this discussion to derailed. But for instance in other international events I know some Iranians have refused to compete against Israeli athletes as a form of protest or non-recognition. Would Qatar be ready to have such athletes disqualified who do refuse to compete against Israel?
Well it depends in the laws of sports, if in other sports which some athletes have refused to compete but shouldn't be disqualified, then thats how it is.
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #4445
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
why in Copenhagen?
Because Baghdad was booked.

No; Rogge has this thing for the Little Mermaid, so...

No; really because:

1. Copenhagen bid for it;
2. It is assumed that no European city will win 2016, thus a European site. Olympic host cities chosen were picked in cities/continents not belonging to the winning bids (i.e., Atlanta won in Tokyo, Sydney was picked in Monte Carlo, London was picked in Singapore; Sochi won in Guatemala, etc., etc.)
rover3 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #4446
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4639

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrazil View Post
Rio 2016 Bid Video
Interresting...but Rio has no chance: Brazil will host WC 2014.
American cities are, of course, favorites after Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London but not Rio. I don't understand why Buenos-Aires or Toronto are not biding.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4447
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
You can't afirm that, I think Rio has several chances
JPBrazil no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #4448
Vini2

Likes (Received): 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
American cities are, of course, favorites after Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London but not Rio. I don't understand why Buenos-Aires or Toronto are not biding.
What about USA WC 94 and Atlanta 96?
Vini2 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4449
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7545

NEW STADIUM IN BAKU

Azerisport.com brings to your attention photo of new football stadium on 60 thousand people. Building will begin this year. This stadium will locate near Azizbekov subway station.

Source: http://www.azerisport.com
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4450
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Ya but that didn't count because no one in America really cared about the World Cup.

When will they announce Chicago is the winner?
Dallasbrink no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #4451
ChicagoFan

Likes (Received): 0

I think Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Santiago, should have bid.My pick is Rio, and yes my username says ChicagoFan, I live there. I just think other parts of the world should be given the opportunity; however something tells me Daley and his goons will get the IOC to once again come back to the states.
ChicagoFan no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4452
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 595

I love the idea! Go Baku! It's time to show the world that countries like Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova are beautiful, and not just some old commie slums.
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4453
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vini2 View Post
What about USA WC 94 and Atlanta 96?
It was a mistake (not the WC but Atlanta): it's not necesary to do it again.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #4454
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

and why use USA as an example..they are a developed country...doesn't mean a developing country could pull it off too. I do support Rio, but USA hosting within 2 years is not the same as Brazil doing the same. Its not impossible, but circumstances are different for each country.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4455
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrazil View Post
You can't afirm that, I think Rio has several chances

I think so as well, a very good chance in fact. Either Rio or Chicago would put on a great and scenic Olympics I have no doubt and said so before this race even started. I am rooting for my home city but Rio is for sure worthy and a good selection.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #4456
Olympiaki-Agones

Well, to be honest I see very far the possibilitites of Baku to become an olympic city. I remeber my trip to Azerbaijan was greatr, but still very complicated to travel around. Went to the mountains ans a huge lack of decent transportation. Also pollution all over the Caspian Coast. I also wonder if the games will help with the problem in Nagarno-Karabakh and that phobia which can be smell among the azeri people towards the armenians. What about democracy in the country? Some how the games in Seoul changed that dark side of South Korea.

And the most important, hopefully this investments and refurbishments to Baku and Azerbaijan could be done with or without the games.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4457
Olympiaki-Agones

We shouldn't forget that Mexico and Germany organised both events from 1968 to 1974 and it was a great success, except for Black September.

I also don't understand why people can't trust in the brazilians to organise the games. Many developing countries have got the best results in organization when the IOC gave them the chance. Sarajevo'84, Seoul'88, Barcelona'92, Athens 2004 and now Beijing 2008.

In the other hand, Montreal'76 got that financial catastrophy, Atlanta'96 is even a waste of time to mentioned it and that corruption scandal with Salt Lake City for the 2002 winter Olympics.

Let's remember that also the IOC voters seem to be unpredictible in the last minute and vote for weird bids like London and Sochi.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4458
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiaki-Agones View Post
Well, to be honest I see very far the possibilitites of Baku to become an olympic city. I remeber my trip to Azerbaijan was greatr, but still very complicated to travel around. Went to the mountains ans a huge lack of decent transportation. Also pollution all over the Caspian Coast. I also wonder if the games will help with the problem in Nagarno-Karabakh and that phobia which can be smell among the azeri people towards the armenians. What about democracy in the country? Some how the games in Seoul changed that dark side of South Korea.

And the most important, hopefully this investments and refurbishments to Baku and Azerbaijan could be done with or without the games.
Today, Azerbaijan is changing faster than any other country in the world
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4459
Olympiaki-Agones

I know it is changing, but as I remember Azerbaijan, it should really run in order to conveince the world that they are a serious nation. Who is the president of the Azeri Olympic Comittee? And whos these idea to host the games in Baku? I also wonder if in the next bid races we will see Istanbul and Baku biding all the time until they get the games?
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:33 AM   #4460
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

well brazil organized a satisfactory Pan Am Games, the capability of developing nations is not the same as the capability of a developed nation.

sponsorship for the olympic games would also be impacted by 2014.

then theres the transport issue in Rio. I fully support Rio, BUT it might be biting off more than it can chew. If it makes the IOC shortlist, it would certainly be a strong contender.

Last edited by Mo Rush; February 21st, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016