daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4461
Príncipe
um príncipe de araque

Likes (Received): 847

Look to what one IOC member told "off the record" about the 2016 bids :

2016 Olympics is Chicago's to lose: IOC member

PARIS (AFP) — The American city of Chicago is such a hot favourite to win the right to host the 2016 Summer Olympics that only they can mess it up, a senior International Olympic Committee (IOC) member told AFP.

The 'Windy City' is bidding to succeed where New York failed in the 2012 race won by London, and the IOC member is convinced that such is their professionalism and power that the Summer Games will return to the United States for the first time since Atlanta hosted the 1996 edition.

"They are streets ahead of their rivals," the member confessed.

"They have been the frontrunners since day one and nothing has as yet changed my mind that they can lose.

"However, as the saying goes 'it is theirs to lose'.

He cautioned, however, that despite initial reservations the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro could be the dark horses even if Brazil are hosting the 2014 World Cup.

"The organisation of last year's Pan American Games (in Rio) were not the best," he admitted.

"Also there was a feeling that having secured the World Cup that IOC members would not feel keen to award them the 2016 Olympics because in their style they do not want to feel they are the dessert coming after the main course.

"Nevertheless Carlos Guzman (Brazilian IOC member) told me that there was no question of Rio letting up and they would be going all out for victory.

"He should not be underestimated as he is a formidable and well liked character."

However, the IOC member added that Tokyo's chances of winning the Games were negligible.

"With Beijing hosting this year's Games and the decision for 2016 to be taken in 2009 (in October in Copenhagen) - just a year after China is host - it is highly unlikely that IOC members will favour a return so soon to Asia," he said.

Despite Rio's surge, the IOC member believes that the decision will boil down to one thing should they be neck and neck - the head of state of the country.

It is widely believed that then British Prime Minster Tony Blair swayed several IOC members to vote for London ahead of Paris for the 2012 Games and that Russian President Vladimir Putin's standout performance in the final presentation for the 2014 Winter Games on behalf of Sochi also played a huge role.

While some IOC members have pushed for heads of state to be barred from lobbying actively, even IOC president Jacques Rogge hinted after the Sochi decision that their participation could be reviewed, the IOC member is dismissive of that happening.

"I doubt that will be brought into force, just imagine how flattering it is for Jacques Rogge to have heads of state bowing their way to his throne in search of glory for their candidates," he said.

"In terms of the 2016 race one has to be brutally honest and say if the Brazilian president came into my hotel room I would ask him to go and fetch me some sandwiches and a coca cola from downstairs...I just wouldn't recognise him.

"Now if the President of the United States walked in then that would really grab your attention....it would be a no contest."

Chicago, Rio and Tokyo face several other potential rivals including Madrid, who finished third in the voting when London won, Prague, 2006 Asian Games hosts Doha (Qatar) and Baku (Azerbaijan).

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/inde...5&st=0&start=0

and I strongly agree with his comments, despite I'm being Brazilian I prefer that we stay focus on the WC organization, I remember now all the problems caused before the Panam games last year in Rio, many venues were finished on the very last minute, and it were the Panam games, which are much smaller than olympic games, I can't imagine the mess that a WC in 2014 and Rio 2016 would cause in this country. Rio has a better shot in 2020, but I don't know if they would keep the games in America for 2020 or would prefer rotate to another country.

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4462
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 792

cool thread love the olympics
Леонид no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #4463
Xtreminal
Azeri Dragon

Likes (Received): 2086

To be honest, I don't think Baku is worst than Athens. We have good capability and even more money than Athens. The trouble is country's politics can affect the bid but I like to be optimist in this point so I support Baku's bid
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #4464
Cerises
99% Angel

Likes (Received): 371

The Baku bid seems unrealistic for 2016. First off, it's their first bid. It can be hard to win an Olympics first time around. Then there will be stiff competition with other countries some more well known and more developed then others. The IOC will also have to narrow the number of bids down and will be examining several factors like how developed a city is, will look at infrastructure (which is very important), technical capabilities, touristic capabilities and so on and so forth. And money and resources are important too (like how you will be paying for the Olympics). It's all part of the package! Greece and China didn't win first time around (two countries that had already hosted major sporting events prior to hosting the Olympic games). And also look at Istanbul, they bid how many times and lost? Several. But that isn't to say their time won't come. They really wanted the Olympics too and lobbied hard for them but it wasn't enough to win. But Istabul's future bids can only improve and as of now stands a better chance then Baku of hosting an Olympic Games in near future. I believe that after 2020 seems more probable for your country.

Last edited by Cerises; March 11th, 2008 at 08:29 AM.
Cerises no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #4465
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

I think that Chicago will diliver a great games.......however seems
that USA has had it few times before.....so be great for it to go
to another part of the world....really would be good...

however Chicago's bid looks strong....however I think that what ever city
wins the bid, could be caught out by London 2012, because the Brits intend
not to follow the other Olympic Games of the past years and change the Games..
2008 will be the last Games of the current type of games...

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.2012infohub.2012olympichost.com/
jerseyboi no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #4466
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vini2 View Post
What about USA WC 94 and Atlanta 96?
USA WC 94 and Atlanta '96 had very few spheres of convergence. WC 94 was organized and run out of LA (w/ a lot of the 1984 staffers running that show). Atlanta '96 was being handled by an entirely new group based a continent away.

I believe (and I'm too lazy to check) the only arena that was used for both WC 94 and Atlanta 96 might have been the RFK Stadium in the DC area as a football venue. But see, Atlanta wasn't even a WC host city.

The US had/has enough large companies to have the 2 organizing committees to pick and choose from -- which is not the case in other countries.
So very few overlaps.

Unlike Rio where everything for both events will be centered in Rio. So there will be the appearance AND reality of Brazil's resources competing amongst themselves within that compressed time period of 2014-2016.

And South Africa is gunning for the 2020 Games, so RSA (and the African votes) will certainly try their darndest to sabotage any 2016 chances of Rio.

Last edited by rover3; March 14th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #4467
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Chicago all the way baby!
Smallville no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #4468
jerseyboi
BANNED

Britian and 2016 Games ( from the independent )

Former athlete Alan Pascoe, who helped to mastermind London's acquisition of the 2012 Olympics as a bid vice-president, has joined the clutch of Britons who will be influential in deciding the destination of the following Games in 2016. Pascoe, 60, is lending his promotional expertise to contenders Madrid through his company Fast Track, who with stablemates Bell Pottinger have been appointed to support the Spanish bid. Pascoe says his role will be to "provide strategic advice on a bid that is coming together very well". With London's former communications chief Mike Lee pushing for Doha and Briton John Tibbs, who worked for Paris, now in charge of Tokyo's publicity campaign, it should be a fascinating battle of PR wits.
All have said and know that London 2012 will be a bench mark games as beijing 2008 will
be the last games of the 'grand style', giving way to the ' new smaller and greener compact games' that London will start at 2012.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #4469
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5760

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
USA WC 94 and Atlanta '96 had very few spheres of convergence. WC 94 was organized and run out of LA (w/ a lot of the 1984 staffers running that show). Atlanta '96 was being handled by an entirely new group based a continent away.

I believe (and I'm too lazy to check) the only arena that was used for both WC 94 and Atlanta 96 might have been the RFK Stadium in the DC area as a football venue. But see, Atlanta wasn't even a WC host city.

The US had/has enough large companies to have the 2 organizing committees to pick and choose from -- which is not the case in other countries.
So very few overlaps.

Unlike Rio where everything for both events will be centered in Rio. So there will be the appearance AND reality of Brazil's resources competing amongst themselves within that compressed time period of 2014-2016.

And South Africa is gunning for the 2020 Games, so RSA (and the African votes) will certainly try their darndest to sabotage any 2016 chances of Rio.
Thats BS... why would africa sabotage brazil's chance?!?! they are in different countries
TEBC no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #4470
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadeu View Post
Thats BS... why would africa sabotage brazil's chance?!?! they are in different countries
Because, duh!!, do I have to spell it out? There will never be 2 SUMMER OLYMPICS in a row in the Southern hemisphere. It probably happens once every 20 years. If Rio wins 2016, then Capetown can kiss its 2020 ambitions goodbye. That's why.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #4471
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

But Rio wont win 2016 because of Chicago, so Capetown and Rio can go head to head for 2020. Also, how would Madrid get the 2016 Bid if London is already hosting 2012 in the same hemisphere? Madrid's chances get thrown to shit by your Rio/Capetown theory.

Last edited by Dallasbrink; May 8th, 2008 at 02:47 AM.
Dallasbrink no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #4472
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5760

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Because, duh!!, do I have to spell it out? There will never be 2 SUMMER OLYMPICS in a row in the Southern hemisphere. It probably happens once every 20 years. If Rio wins 2016, then Capetown can kiss its 2020 ambitions goodbye. That's why.
i want to say continents... your theory is weak... there is nothing saying that two countries from south hosting the games in a row.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #4473
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

I agree, the only country in the southern hemisphere who has hosted was Australia, does that mean Australia is the only one capable (now) of hosting based on some precedent? Considering that with a few exceptions the games haven't had much of a problem putting consecutive games in the northern hemisphere kinda throws that concern out the window.

The only thing that I could see a concern is if both say Rio and Cape Town had to change their schedule to adjust to northern hemisphere summer TV schedules. However Rio at least could still very easily hold its games during its winner which has summer like conditions.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4474
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadeu View Post
i want to say continents... your theory is weak... there is nothing saying that two countries from south hosting the games in a row.
Well, yes, the sun could also decide to rise in the west and set in the east tomorrow, no?

History and numbers have shown that two southern hemisphere Olympcs in a row is highly improbable. With perhaps only 1 southern hemisphere city against 8 northern hemisphere city bids in one or 2 cycles, then what do you think the chances of a southern hemisphere hosting(s) are? Consider for the 1956 Games, Melbourne beat Buenos Aires by 1 vote. Well, did the IOC go with Buenos Aires in the next 3 or 4 rounds? No. The next time the Olympics went south was after 44 years, and back to Australia.

The TV schedules, the IFs' schedules, the atheltes' training schedule, the sports calendars are ALL geared to northern timing. That's why it happens only once every 40 or 20 years in the South.

And don't compare it to FIFA. That's only 1 sport vs. 23 on the SOG slate; and some 15 on the Winter list.

But hey, if you don't believe me, then good luck. Word is Rio might not even make the shortlist again.

And history has a way of repeating itself. So if Rio doesn't make it this time; then we may see a Capetown-Rio header for 2020; thus another repeat of the 1956 duel. Again, history is the best teacher -- not...there is nothing saying that two countries from south hosting the games in a row

Last edited by rover3; May 10th, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #4475
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

summer olympics games 2016 will be in
Doha
love-qatar no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4476
jerseyboi
BANNED

from a UK paper>

RIO HAS A BOOST

RIO DE JANEIRO, May 8 (Reuters) - Rio de Janeiro's bid to host the 2016 Olympics has been boosted by last week's upgrade of Brazil's credit rating to investment grade, organisers said.
"This is important because it gives the Olympic movement the certainty that Brazil has the financial security to deliver the games at the level required," Carlos Arthur Nuzman, president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB), told Reuters.
"It consolidates a strong and safe candidature."
Organisers said the country's new status would help dispel the stereotyped, but long outdated, image of an economy ravaged by inflation, where a suitcase of bank notes was needed to buy a light bulb.
Standard & Poor's last week upgraded Brazil's credit rating one notch to "BBB-", praising its debt reduction efforts, prudent spending and growth prospects.
The move improved Brazil's ability to raise funds on the world's international capital markets.
It is a far cry from the early 1990s, where inflation at one stage reached over 2,000 percent and the local currency was devalued on a daily basis.
Nuzman said the organising committee was working hard to show that there was more to Rio than sun, sand, carnival and soccer.
He highlighted the country's economic strength.
"There are various positive factors; there's no more inflation, Brazil has enjoyed economic stability for a number of years, the value of the Real against the dollar is rising, the level of external investments in Brazil is enormous," said Nuzman.
"While there is a reduction in property investment in the rest of the world, it continues to grow in Brazil."
FACILITIES READY
Nuzman said staging the Pan American Games last year proved that Rio could stage a major event successfully despite failing in its bid to host the 2004 and 2012 Olympic games.
"It was practical, public proof of our capacity to organise mega-events and this was fundamental," he said.
"We realised we couldn't organise the Olympics without first staging the Pan American Games, this was the message."
The Pan American Games facilities, including the showpiece Joao Havelange stadium, were built to Olympic standard, at a cost of around $2 billion, with the 2016 candidacy in mind.
"Naturally, this will reduce the budget for the Olympics. The more expensive facilities are ready, and we only have the lower-cost ones to worry about," Nuzman said
As for other infrastructure, Nuzman said the transport plan for the 2012 bid, which involved building an extensive metro system, was too ambitious. This time, Rio has gone for a simpler system of dedicated bus lanes this time.
"The crucial point (in the 2012 bid) was transport because it was very ambitious and expensive and the International Olympic Committee understand that it was unviable.
"We have changed the transport project. This time, it's absolutely balanced and absolutely viable."
Brazil hosting of the 2014 World Cup was another cause for optimism.
"It's an enormous benefit. Mexico held the Olympics in 1968 and the World Cup in 1970, Germany had the Olympics in 1972 and the World Cup in 1974 and the United States had the World Cup in 1994 and the Olympics in 1996.
"A lot of infrastructure work will be done for the World Cup in terms of hotels, transport and security."
Nuzman also felt it was South America's turn to stage the Olympics for the first time.
"South America's moment has arrived, this is one of our arguments," he said. "We are talking bout a population of 400 million people," he said.
"When they talk in the United Nations about helping the youth of the world, we can't forget about the youth in South America."
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #4477
rover3
BANNED

Yeah, right. Like the Doha bid is probably the most heavily financed -- but that doesn't make them any more certain in getting the Games. It's a lot of other factors like:

- geo-politics

- certainly the right infrastructure, public support, etc.

- certainly, a photogenic city

- who has NOT pissed the IOC off or who can best kiss IOC ass;

- the final presentation with a charismatic head of state to make the pitch, and

- really, whose turn it is.

The right combination of those eventually decides the outcome -- not superflous news like credit ratings, enodrsements, etc.

Last edited by rover3; May 10th, 2008 at 09:43 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4478
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
from a UK paper>

RIO HAS A BOOST

RIO DE JANEIRO, May 8 (Reuters) - Rio de Janeiro's bid to host the 2016 Olympics has been boosted by last week's upgrade of Brazil's credit rating to investment grade, organisers said.
"This is important because it gives the Olympic movement the certainty that Brazil has the financial security to deliver the games at the level required," Carlos Arthur Nuzman, president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB), told Reuters.
"It consolidates a strong and safe candidature."
Organisers said the country's new status would help dispel the stereotyped, but long outdated, image of an economy ravaged by inflation, where a suitcase of bank notes was needed to buy a light bulb.
Standard & Poor's last week upgraded Brazil's credit rating one notch to "BBB-", praising its debt reduction efforts, prudent spending and growth prospects.
The move improved Brazil's ability to raise funds on the world's international capital markets.
It is a far cry from the early 1990s, where inflation at one stage reached over 2,000 percent and the local currency was devalued on a daily basis.
Nuzman said the organising committee was working hard to show that there was more to Rio than sun, sand, carnival and soccer.
He highlighted the country's economic strength.
"There are various positive factors; there's no more inflation, Brazil has enjoyed economic stability for a number of years, the value of the Real against the dollar is rising, the level of external investments in Brazil is enormous," said Nuzman.
"While there is a reduction in property investment in the rest of the world, it continues to grow in Brazil."
FACILITIES READY
Nuzman said staging the Pan American Games last year proved that Rio could stage a major event successfully despite failing in its bid to host the 2004 and 2012 Olympic games.
"It was practical, public proof of our capacity to organise mega-events and this was fundamental," he said.
"We realised we couldn't organise the Olympics without first staging the Pan American Games, this was the message."
The Pan American Games facilities, including the showpiece Joao Havelange stadium, were built to Olympic standard, at a cost of around $2 billion, with the 2016 candidacy in mind.
"Naturally, this will reduce the budget for the Olympics. The more expensive facilities are ready, and we only have the lower-cost ones to worry about," Nuzman said
As for other infrastructure, Nuzman said the transport plan for the 2012 bid, which involved building an extensive metro system, was too ambitious. This time, Rio has gone for a simpler system of dedicated bus lanes this time.
"The crucial point (in the 2012 bid) was transport because it was very ambitious and expensive and the International Olympic Committee understand that it was unviable.
"We have changed the transport project. This time, it's absolutely balanced and absolutely viable."
Brazil hosting of the 2014 World Cup was another cause for optimism.
"It's an enormous benefit. Mexico held the Olympics in 1968 and the World Cup in 1970, Germany had the Olympics in 1972 and the World Cup in 1974 and the United States had the World Cup in 1994 and the Olympics in 1996.
"A lot of infrastructure work will be done for the World Cup in terms of hotels, transport and security."
Nuzman also felt it was South America's turn to stage the Olympics for the first time.
"South America's moment has arrived, this is one of our arguments," he said. "We are talking bout a population of 400 million people," he said.
"When they talk in the United Nations about helping the youth of the world, we can't forget about the youth in South America."
Rio could be dropped off Olympic shortlist

Lausanne, 8 May 2008
Rio de Janeiro's hopes of hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games were dealt a major blow as rumours prevailed that Rio has failed to make the shortlist of candidates . Sources close to Lausanne, the IOC headquarters, say that the IOC's technical team have postponed the finalization of the technical report to be handed to the IOC executive board, who will make the final decision.

While IOC president Jacques Rogge has praised Rio for its preparations and hosting of the 2007 Pan Am Games, sources now say that only 3 cities will be presented to the IOC executive board as candidates , amid fears that the Rio's weak infrastructure along with inadequate accommodation, presents too large a risk for the Olympic movement. Sources say that Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid comprise the 3-city shortlist.

The shortlist of candidate cities is expected to be announced next month and the winning city in Copenhagen in 2009.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #4479
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Mo, is there a link to that article somewhere?

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 11th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #4480
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

I think Chicago will win, I am still surprised Dubai isn't trying.
Mr. Met no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016