daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #4481
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Chicago! Baby!!! Hope Seattle is next after Chicago host 2016 Olympic Games.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #4482
Cruise
Crazy young doge man

Likes (Received): 914

If i were a betting man i would have my money on Chicago or Rio

I really don't think the others stand a chance
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4483
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
If i were a betting man i would have my money on Chicago or Rio

I really don't think the others stand a chance
The fight is really going to be between Chicago and Tokyo. There is serious doubt that Rio may even make the shortlist. We will know after June 6.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4484
Olympiaki-Agones

Likes (Received): 0

Remember that the ones who decide after all are the IOC members capable to vote. And there is background which says that they are pretty unpredictable!

The elections of Atlanta, SLC, London and Sochi were controversial for many factors. And remember that Toyo and Madrid are eclipsed by Beijing and London.

In the other hand, many voters are from Latin America, Africa and Asia who fully support the idea of "new frontiers". I don't think that voters from Middle East would support Chicago, and if Rio can make the shortlist, they may support them, above all when Toyo is in the race and Doha and Baku certainly are also in Asia, so their chances are bigger if Tokyo is out in 2016. Otherwise it could happen the same like Prague and Madrid. And both of then are conscient that it is pointless to bid for 2016 when London is just preceeding.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #4485
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
The fight is really going to be between Chicago and Tokyo. There is serious doubt that Rio may even make the shortlist. We will know after June 6.
According to whom? Sources?
Alphaville no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #4486
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
According to whom? Sources?

See Mo Rush's post #173 above.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #4487
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

BAKU 2016 - Sport venues

Baku 2016 Bid Committee presents architectural designs for sport venue.

The internationally acclaimed planning and architectural practice AS&P – Albert Speer und Partner GmbH (Frankfurt, Germany) – is currently engaged in defining and expanding on the Venue Concept presented in the Baku 2016 Bid Book. The main objective is to validate a sustainable and exemplary ecological planning concept. This relates not only to the remediation of seriously contaminated areas (e.g. the former Bibi-Heybat oilfield), but also the integration of ecological components into the architecture of the sports facilities. A pre-eminent role is played therein by factors such as energy saving and the employment of sustainable materials. It also includes the development of an architectural language appropriate to the staging of future major international sporting events.
At this stage of work the progressive development of the Venue Concept is a pivotal task. The possibility of timely implementation independent of the current Olympic Bid is being investigated for a number of sports venues. Initially the spotlight is focused on the design and construction of an Olympic-sized Aquatic Centre and Multifunctional Gymnastics Complex. The funds required for planning and realising these two venues have been set aside in the national sports facilities development budget. For this important planning assignment, AS&P can draw on its extensive international expertise in the master planning of mega events and the design and construction of sports facilities.
The Olympic Park, comprising 11 sports facilities, will be located on the former Bibi Heybat oilfield site. The artificial landfill created for crude oil exploitation will be transformed into spacious urban parkland with the Competition Venues embedded in the newly modelled terrain. The National Aquatics Centre and the Gymnastics Complex will be situated at Azizbekov roundabout at the northern entrance to Baku city centre, adjacent to the Azizbekov metro station. A 40-storey hotel tower will occupy the corner plot and landmark this Olympic Venue.
The predominant architectural motive will be a floral pattern developed from the famous, traditional Azeri carpet design. The attractive ornament will be duplicated and applied to the plantings of landscaped areas, pavements of plazas and boulevards and the facades and roofs of the sport facilities. In all, the pattern will create a calmness and continuity of design that embraces all venue ensembles.
The venue construction costs for the Olympic Park and the Azizbekov Complex add up to an estimated US$ 630 million.

For picutres, please click on: Sport venues of Baku 2016
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #4488
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

'Albert Speer'. Couldn't be the same old Third Reich's architect one of Adolf Hitler's more famous sidekicks? I thought he was in jail?
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4489
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #4490
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 217

Those venues are so cool!!!!

Quatar or Baku, will get the olympics(in my oppinion)
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4491
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12581

Incredible!
Hed_Kandi no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4492
Zorba
Stadium Fan

They look horribly tacky, and if people don't think they are ugly now wait until 15 years from now when this "style" is no longer in for stadiums....
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4493
AZBaKuCiTy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

BAKU 2016 BAKU 2016
we have good chance to win.
InshAllah
AZBaKuCiTy no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM   #4494
AZBaKuCiTy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

i like it, BAKU 2016 InshAllah
go Baku go Baku
AZBaKuCiTy no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:23 PM   #4495
Olympiaki-Agones

Likes (Received): 0

Come on Zorba, I think I have seen ven worse projects, like te one in 2012. London i not realy better. he only thing is that the azeris, in case they remotely get the olympics, they have to keep those stadia very well preserved.
Olympiaki-Agones no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4496
guigotz

great surprise… totaly original project

i like it .... many people had said that… they would not have any possibility… and I say that they have one of the best projects presented in these games… I desire that they can be very successful with this project

Last edited by guigotz; May 31st, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
guigotz no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4497
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Wow, I've never seen anything like this even in visions

Baku has great vision for the future which will allow its potential be realized.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #4498
RobH

Likes (Received): 10332

In all likelyhood, your bid will only exist for a few more days. I admire your optimism but you do not have a good chance of making the shortlist, let alone winning.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4499
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Wow, this looks hugely cheap. The olympic stadiums design is one of the tackiest I've ever seen... Anyway, how long will it take to clean that oilfield site this stuf is supposed to be built on? I saw a documentary on it once, and apperantly it's one of the most polluted places on earth!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4500
RobH

Likes (Received): 10332

Is this really a vision for the future or just Baku saying "Hey, we're not going to win but we may have a small chance of getting on the shortlist if we put some crazy designs in front of the IOC!"

They've already admitted they're unlikely to win but want to get some positive publicity for the country which will come simply through bidding. There's nothing wrong with that and I wonder if these designs are an extension of that policy.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but will these designs be continued if, as is expected, Baku doesn't make the shortlist on Wednesday?
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016