daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM   #4501
AZBaKuCiTy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

it is only your opinion. we have the same chances like the others.
AZBaKuCiTy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4502
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBaKuCiTy View Post
it is only your opinion. we have the same chances like the others.
Obviously not. Baku is not London or Athens or anything like that, in terms of infrastucture.
somataki no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #4503
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
Obviously not. Baku is not London or Athens or anything like that, in terms of infrastucture.
I like to think it's not decisive. Then again- I don't recall London or Athens having even 5% of the ambition to change their infrastructure. It's not all about having, but also about developing. And many believe Baku could surprise the world in this matter, me too.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #4504
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Apart from the fact that London is developing the area the size of a small city for these Games you're right, London has little ambition to change its infrastructure!! lol!
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM   #4505
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
I like to think it's not decisive. Then again- I don't recall London or Athens having even 5% of the ambition to change their infrastructure. It's not all about having, but also about developing. And many believe Baku could surprise the world in this matter, me too.
huh? ure kidding right?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #4506
potiz81

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
huh? ure kidding right?
If South Africa can organize a World cap then anything could happen!!!
potiz81 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM   #4507
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by potiz81 View Post
If South Africa can organize a World cap then anything could happen!!!
world cap?

7 rail lines to the olympic park, the largest urban park in europe for 150 years...using venues like wembley, wimbledon, lords...and the budget to back up that ambition. if anything london 2012 might be called overambitious. baku is hardly the city to be using as yardstick esp during its last 48 hours in the 2016 race.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #4508
AZBaKuCiTy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Baku is not London or Athen, thats right. Baku is developing, the infrastructure is changing. & Baku could surprise the world its correct.
I believe in it & Azerbaijani Republic will do everything to make all this.
AZBaKuCiTy no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4509
michał_

Quote:
world cap?

7 rail lines to the olympic park, the largest urban park in europe for 150 years...using venues like wembley, wimbledon, lords...and the budget to back up that ambition. if anything london 2012 might be called overambitious. baku is hardly the city to be using as yardstick esp during its last 48 hours in the 2016 race.
So look at starting points of London and Baku, maybe you'll notice the difference in ambition- the way I mean it.
What effort was for London2012 to use Wembley or Wimbledon if these venues already existed when London started bidding (Wembley was initailly planned too anyway)? None. So an attempt to solve all major problems (let's face it- poor transportation, extreme pollution and living standards are issues that don't exist in London or by far not in that scale) of a reasonably big capital city and trying to build what I see as very impressive olympic complex is more for me.

RobH- London is developing an area of a small city's size. wow Azeris want to redevelop the whole capital city. See the difference?

Last edited by michał_; June 2nd, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM   #4510
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

OK, maybe you're right in that regard. But that only makes my initial point stronger. If, as you suggest, Baku needs complete redevelopment to get it up to Olympic standard in terms of transportation, hotels, environment etc. why should the IOC risk shortlisting its bid?
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4511
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

world cap?
I think he meant a world 'night CAP.'
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4512
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
OK, maybe you're right in that regard. But that only makes my initial point stronger. If, as you suggest, Baku needs complete redevelopment to get it up to Olympic standard in terms of transportation, hotels, environment etc. why should the IOC risk shortlisting its bid?
Funny you should say that. Many commentators and journalists asked the same question about shortlisting Poland&Ukraine for Euro 2012.
By the way- I didn't say for one second I think they will get it now. But I have a lot of respect for this underdog, no matter how odd the whole bid seems.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4513
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 595

I'm all behind this bid, great venues, great city, great people. This is a HUGE opportunity to increase attractiveness of Azerbaijan as a tourist resort.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM   #4514
Mo Rush

Quote:
So look at starting points of London and Baku, maybe you'll notice the difference in ambition- the way I mean it.
What effort was for London2012 to use Wembley or Wimbledon if these venues already existed when London started bidding (Wembley was initailly planned too anyway)? None. So an attempt to solve all major problems (let's face it- poor transportation, extreme pollution and living standards are issues that don't exist in London or by far not in that scale) of a reasonably big capital city and trying to build what I see as very impressive olympic complex is more for me.

RobH- London is developing an area of a small city's size. wow Azeris want to redevelop the whole capital city. See the difference?
i disagree. londons project is plenty ambitious. if i described what baku was doing i'd use "admirable" yet optimistic. phrases the IOC have included in their report due on 4 june.

using sydney, athens and even beijing as a base, london's project as a whole is quite significant and as Denis Oswald confirmed, the level of detail and planning is unprecedented. if anything london has the best of both worlds, building tons of new venues and using existing iconic and world class venues.

olympic stadium
velodrome
handball arena
basketball arena
hockey stadium
whitewater centre
bmx park
aquatic centre
paralympic tennis centre
sailing venue
greenwich arenas

major upgrades to its already iconic base of venues
- the dome into the O2
- wimbledon and a retractable roof
- wembley finally being completed-
- upgrades to lords

the package is almost out of this world.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM   #4515
michał_

I still see no change here. I never said London's project is poorly planned or includes outdated infrastructure.
But I guess we're arguing about specific terms rather than facts. I see nothing bad in Baku's bid being "admirable, yet optimistic". As I said, London will build what you listed above, Baku wants to change the whole city around. Plus the difference of potentials- immense. So, no comparison for me in these terms.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM   #4516
Icantthinkofaname
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Baku won't get Olympics.
Why?
1) There is an unwritten rule that no city is awarded with olympics after their first bid.
2) Azerbajan is at war with neighbourging Armenia.
Icantthinkofaname no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #4517
Mo Rush

Quote:
I still see no change here. I never said London's project is poorly planned or includes outdated infrastructure.
But I guess we're arguing about specific terms rather than facts. I see nothing bad in Baku's bid being "admirable, yet optimistic". As I said, London will build what you listed above, Baku wants to change the whole city around. Plus the difference of potentials- immense. So, no comparison for me in these terms.
i think we are debating different things.

The Baku project is admirable but I'd like to see it begin before its next bid and regardless of a bid. The location and venue plan as a whole is quite good and the aims to improve significant areas of the city is admirable.

The room for transformation is Baku is of course much greater since its starting from a much lower base than London.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM   #4518
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

I support BAKU 2016. Let's wait the shortlist
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4519
gho

Likes (Received): 44

I love the stadium and olympic villages, look great, breathtaking. One of the greatest stadium designs i have seen for a long time. Reminds me of the olympiastadion in Munich.
gho no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #4520
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Goodbye Baku. Come back in 4 years.
rover3 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016