daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #441
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsby
Spain already had it in 92 forget them, New York or London deserve it most. Defaintely be important to NY as they will be continuing to "re-build" after 9/11. An event like 9/11 stays with a city for a long long time not something u can just brush off after 11 years....
The USA had them in 96 so what kind of comments are these? The olimpics are attirbuted to a city not to a nation... London and Paris had them twice and Madrid, well never!

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #442
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 2942

I have voted for Madrid, but my reason is.. the Games did a lot for the development of Barcelona, Atlanta or Athens. So, now is our chance to have a make up in our city (that is developing itself without having games!)..

By the visit of the IOC last weekend and their valorations, i think the battle will be Paris/Madrid. But i think every world city must have hosted a Games at least once, so it should be our time (yes, i know last time for Paris was 1926.. dont repeat it again)..
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #443
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

it seems indeed Madrid did a very good job in impressing the IOC...a paris Vs madrid is very likely to happen...and Madrid still can win...
kony no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #444
Tosco
Nid de Poule

Likes (Received): 0

It's going to be between Madrid and Paris.
Tosco no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #445
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos69
And Neither is Cape Town.......its his opinion dont alter it also please speak english in this forum...."9/11 HAPPENED Many days in Iraq..."?? what r u talking about?
meaning many lives were lost on many days in iraq just as they were lost in the 9/11 attacks, human life is important not who was killed/attacked lets feel sympathy for iraq and give them the games too, new york has an excellent bid i hope they do well as they have strong support from top athletes nadia comaneci and pele are just two athletes featured in the new york bid book.Does anyone think paris will not win??? although it would seem more interesting if the bid race was competitive, are we fooling ourselves or not? i really hope the race is not one way..

PARIS, Feb. 7 (Xinhuanet) -- With the high-profile bid race for hosting the 2012 Olympic Games now in the key evaluation phase five months before the vote, Paris officials are wary of being portrayed as untouchable front-runners.

"This is something I've been hearing for a long time," said Philippe Baudillon, chief of the city's Olympic bid campaign. "I don't believe in favorites. It's really a competition. We have to work very hard to get the games."

Paris is competing against London, New York, Moscow and Madrid in the race. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will select the winner on July 6 in Singapore.

Ever since the five finalists were picked last spring, Paris has been considered the city to beat.

Paris has paid its dues after losing bids for the 1992 and 2008 games; France successfully hosted the 1998 World Cup; Paris staged the 2003 track and field world championships; the City of Light offers all the attractions of one of the world's favorite tourist destinations.

But Paris is reluctant to shoulder the No. 1 contender tag, mindful that previous favorites have lost. Rome was beaten by Athens in the vote for the 2004 games.

"I don't believe in a lot of these things," Baudillon told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. "We have five major cities. If all the five cities are here, they are not here for nothing. They are here to be the best."

Speculation about the race has escalated since the IOC evaluation commission began its month-long inspection tour of the five bid cities.

Madrid was the first stop last week. The panel will next visitLondon from February 16-19, followed by New York (February 21-24), Paris (March 9-12) and Moscow (March 14-17).

Baudillon, a hurdler in his youth, says he doesn't pay attention to what his competitors are doing.

"When you try to check what happens around you, you can't be the best," he said. "It's the IOC to choose and not anybody else.The IOC will decide on the best technical bid. We want to be the best technical bid," the French was quoted by the news agency as saying. Enditem
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #446
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

BOLSCHOI Magnificent pics......very...dare i say it..Athenian. I wouldnt mind seeing Moscow get the OG's. Funny how all citys but NY are European
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #447
Pairedjam
Zp daughters fan

Likes (Received): 13

Paris had the games in 3 times , and London too.
But Madrid never celebrated any games.
Pairedjam no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #448
legolas
I'm back!

I'm agree with kony. Madrid Vs Paris. Madrid has the best technical bid and Paris had TWICE the games Vs Madrid none, but Paris tried it three times and Barna was in '92.
We'll see...
legolas no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #449
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Madrid....
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #450
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

I honestly believe that Madrid deserves it.It's about time that this gre8 city gets the recognition it deserves.Besides one of my best friends was born in Madrid.
Peshu no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #451
mds

A big NO to New York and London as long as their leaders keep violating any form of international law.

Paris/Moscow/Madrid is fine to me.
mds no está en línea  
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #452
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

double post
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #453
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Are you stupid, France and Spain violated international law by having troops in Kosovo. The Kosovo operations were not sanctioned by the UN, it was illegal in international law. Russia doesn't exactly have a great record treating the Chechens, or recently by interfering in another soveriegn states elections.

Use you head before you write things down.

And anyway isn't the Olympics meant to be about sport. Thats why there will be in China (gross human rights abuses) have been in Moscow while it was fighting a war in Afghanistan.
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #454
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

MADRID CAR BOMB AT ITS CONVENTION CENTRE, some racist chants and now a car bomb injuring 39 outside a proposed olympic venue, all madrid needs now is some bribery rumours!!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #455
kony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Are you stupid, France and Spain violated international law by having troops in Kosovo.

funny prizemazda...when in another thread i called you "stupid" you were all shocked and you said i was being rude because of that...now it's you who accuse others of being stupid...

so i guess the best thing to do then is to post here the answer you made to me after i said you were stupid :

Quote:
Kony I don't start posts calling people stupid, thats you. You wanted proof of you being rude, well its there for all to see

Kony, you are so rude, do you talk to your mother with that mouth.
and below is a comment adressed to me by another angry forumer in the same thread...i though it should help you in your therapy :

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim flyer
Calling people stupid, is not the way to convince people you are right, could I suggest a politer approach might get you further.

By the way, London is seen by many around the world as a unique mix of history, peoples and cultures.
it's all here

it all shows how shallow and hypocritical you are...
kony no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #456
Speakerbox
BANNED

Anyone else bored with morons spouting cack about this!

Its between Paris & London. Bookies never get it wrong. There favouring Paris at the moment and im Agreeing with them. They dont deserve it, but thats the way it go's.

For once however, I would just like to see the British support rewarded now and then. Its a shame but at least its close enough for a couple of hundred thousand to make the trip!
Speakerbox no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #457
Speakerbox
BANNED

P.S Kony, knowone likes you ... you are the most biased forumer on this boards, let alone the most aggrivating. so ssshhhhh, you're petty remarks arent needed in this thread
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #458
kony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerbox
P.S Kony, knowone likes you ...
actually i was just refreshing Prizemazda's memory...but as u mention it i don't need to come in an internet forum to be "liked" and to have friends...i don't know who you are but if it's your case, i am so sorry for you...
kony no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #459
Speakerbox
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
actually i was just refreshing Prizemazda's memory...but as u mention it i don't need to come in an internet forum to be "liked" and to have friends...i don't know who you are but if it's your case, i am so sorry for you...
If you dont come on these threads to be liked, then the least you could do is not come on these threads and become a di*k.
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #460
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Are you stupid, France and Spain violated international law by having troops in Kosovo. The Kosovo operations were not sanctioned by the UN, it was illegal in international law. Russia doesn't exactly have a great record treating the Chechens, or recently by interfering in another soveriegn states elections.

Use you head before you write things down.

And anyway isn't the Olympics meant to be about sport. Thats why there will be in China (gross human rights abuses) have been in Moscow while it was fighting a war in Afghanistan.

I can tell you one thing that is certain.The olympics is most certainly about making money.Alot of it.Especially with those fat corrupt members of the olympic commitee.Sport takes second place by miles.
Peshu no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016