daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #4601
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4I.â.B4 View Post
then how come the IOC says the Doha or the middle east still have a chance to host it?
What do you want them to say? "Don't bother?" Have you heard of a thing called diplomacy? Plus it's up to the bidding city to realistically look at itself and its chances. What is the adage? To thine own self be true.

If you think you can win, go ahead. The IOC won't stop you. But they certainly won't assure you that you will win either. So if you're wise and HONEST with yourself and DON'T want to waste money and lose, then I'd say-- don't even bid.
rover3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4602
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

RIO!!!

Imperfect Ending no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4603
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

Indianapolis more ready for Olympics than Chicago

I'm going to shamelessly say Indianapolis is much more ready to host an Olympics than Chicago. From transport (Chicago traffic is awful) to existing facilities, Indy is way ahead of Chicago.

While I know this would never happen, Indy clearly too small at around 750K, but the infrastructure is there. Of course the world snobs wouldn't like it either. Haha, don't take it too seriously, but really.

Stadiums and Arenas.

Lucas Oil - 70,000

Conseco Fieldhouse - 18,500

Victory Field - 16,000 - baseball is out, but it could be used for something

Hinkle Fieldhouse - 12,000

Michael A. Carroll Track & Soccer Stadium - 12,000 - temporary Olympic Stadium Location

Indianapolis Tennis Center - 8,500 - home of the RCA Championships

Pepsi Coliseum - 8,200:

IUPUI Natatorium - 6,200 - largest and best in the nation

Major Taylor Velodrome - over 5,000 - 1 of 18 in US

Proper Reservoir for Water Games.

Eagle Creek Reservoir has hosted the World Rowing Championships, NCAA Rowing Championships, USRowing National Championships, etc.

Marathon Route - Annual Mini Marathon of 35,000 entrants

Expanded convention center, note Lucas Oil in the background.

image hosted on flickr

Indy held the 1987 Pan Am games. Just renovate here and there. Build a couple more hotels. Big London-esque temporary stadium. That's all it would take!

Last edited by Indiana Jones; June 6th, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed it
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4604
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

What about public transportation?

The IOC said Chicago's public transportation needed work...and Chicago's PT is far better than Indianapolis...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4605
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Old June 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #4606
egonecron
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Madrid, of course.
egonecron no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #4607
sergioib

Likes (Received): 343

I think Madrid will get them in 2016, they also bid for the Olympic Games in 2012 and London got them by mistake (there was a vote for Madrid which wasn't properly counted) and as for the bid itself, Madrid has got the best one out of the four applicant cities.

We should remember Madrid got the first position in nine of the thirteen different sectors in which the IOC valued the applicant cities. Madrid has got a very strong bid, inherited from Madrid 2012 and made even stronger.

Having London 2012 should not be a problem for Madrid since continent rotation is not a clear rule to select a host city. Since 1906 and until 1928, the Olympic Games were hosted in European cities: Athens, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Amberes, Paris and Amsterdam. Then again from 1936 and until 1952 the OG were hosted in Europe again: Berlin, Helsinki, London and Helsinki again.

Madrid would be applying for the THIRD time after 1972 and 2012 so, in my opinion, and having read the whole report, is more likely to win.

www.madrid2016.es
sergioib está en línea ahora  
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #4608
juanpe_r
21 year living here!

Likes (Received): 6

I am from Madrid....but unfortunately Madrid won´t host 2016 games. London is just 01:30 hours away.
But if Madrid wanna have 2012 games must try in 2016 as we tried already in 2012. IOC likes cities trying it until the have it (except poor Paris).

the only chance to get it in Copenhange is if in the first round Rio is the last city, so in the nex one most of the European (there is not other UE city there) and latinamerica votes wuld go to Madrid, as de USA votes went to London last time...
juanpe_r no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4609
Talaier_

Likes (Received): 0

Madrid and Tokyo have, by far, the best bids. Chicago comes second and Rio has the worst of all. So it should be between those two, and it will be down to how much they improve and how well they market the bid. That's speaking objectively.

Then comes in politics. Chicago has, just by being in the USA a massive chance of winning them due to the fact that it is the only city sitting on an anglosaxon country. And the anglosaxon world counts for a lot of votes. Tokyo has Asian countries behind it and Madrid should have fair support within the EU. Rio counts for Latin American votes, which it will fight for along with Madrid and Chicago.

That said, if it's on a continent location basis, Rio should get them straight away. But Brazil doesn't offer that much experience nor security to host such an event, so it would be a risky decision from the IOC. I guess another "experiment" with an emergen country will depend on how well Beijing runs it's own Olympics this summer.

My bet is on Río being eliminated first, and it's votes splitting between Chicago and Madrid. Tokyo will slip easily into the last round and it will be between Chicago and Madrid, and there pretty much anything can happen. It will depend on how well both bids have marketed themselves to the IOC members. In any case, Tokyo will lose the games to whichever passes be it Chicago or Madrid. Why? Well, London already got it's third games in 2012 and Tokyo would be repeating as well. And both Chicago and Madrid have really good bids with a lot of support. Madrid has London too close, but it has arguably the best bid, especially on environmental and legacy issues, highly valued by the IOC. Chicago has a good bid, has the continent rotation factor on it's favour but the USA have hosted 1 out of every 7 Olympic games. And the fact that most of the Latin American vote will go for Madrid, given the bad image the USA has granted itself throughout Latin America.

In any case, it's all down to politics and if Obama lobbies enough, Chicago will get the Olympics. As simple as that, and it doesn't matter if there are better bids. Nobody gave a damn about London 2012 but they won in the final voting, even though their bid wasn't the best. So, who knows.

But I would really love Madrid to get them. I think it would be the perfect host.
Talaier_ no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #4610
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Go Tokyo!

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4611
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talaier_ View Post
Madrid and Tokyo have, by far, the best bids. Chicago comes second and Rio has the worst of all. So it should be between those two, and it will be down to how much they improve and how well they market the bid. That's speaking objectively.

Then comes in politics. Chicago has, just by being in the USA a massive chance of winning them due to the fact that it is the only city sitting on an anglosaxon country. And the anglosaxon world counts for a lot of votes. Tokyo has Asian countries behind it and Madrid should have fair support within the EU. Rio counts for Latin American votes, which it will fight for along with Madrid and Chicago.

That said, if it's on a continent location basis, Rio should get them straight away. But Brazil doesn't offer that much experience nor security to host such an event, so it would be a risky decision from the IOC. I guess another "experiment" with an emergen country will depend on how well Beijing runs it's own Olympics this summer.

And the fact that most of the Latin American vote will go for Madrid, given the bad image the USA has granted itself throughout Latin America.

In any case, it's all down to politics and if Obama lobbies enough, Chicago will get the Olympics. As simple as that, and it doesn't matter if there are better bids. Nobody gave a damn about London 2012 but they won in the final voting, even though their bid wasn't the best. So, who knows.

But I would really love Madrid to get them. I think it would be the perfect host.
Madrid is NOT as strong as you think. There are other Euro nations angling for 2020.

OK, Doha was cut because of 'weather.' Well, Madrid is hotter than Hades in July-August. So how can Madrid say it's the 'perfect' place? Hmmmm. Barcelona is by the sea so there were a few breezes.

Latin American votes lining up behind Madrid? I don't think so. (Besides there are only I think like 7 or 8 counting 2 Brazilian votes.) For one thing, Lima and Buenos Aires are also hoping for 2020. So even on the first round, Rio will not have its own neighbors in its pocket.

Strategically, my head says the final round will be between Chicago and Tokyo. Emotionally, my heart says it will be between Chicago and Rio. But 2014 will be also now be weighing heavy against Rio. They have not proven themselves until 2014 happens. (The PanAms really don't count. Look, Doha did a better job with the Asians, yet they were out...)

The stars seem to align for Chicago...
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #4612
rover3
BANNED

never mind..

Last edited by rover3; June 6th, 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: xx
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #4613
KrazyKarl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Against "alpha" cities of the world -- London, New York, Paris, Toronto, Beijing, Capetown, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Tokyo, Rome, Berlin to name a few -- those "beta" cities you mention may not even make the shortlist. There is also such a thing as int'l appeal and world-class cache. You have to be a world-class metropolis to make it. The IOC likes their premier product exhibited in Grade-A cities.
My response was to a question about the ME/NA ever hosting the event. I certainly don't think any of my listed cities (exception for Istanbul) will host in the next 20 years, but there do exist temperate cities in the region that could host once they enter the "alpha" world.
KrazyKarl no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #4614
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

How about a comparable list of Chicago's facilities? Sorry but Indy you don't compare!

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4615
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Chicago!

(I have no good argument to support my case, and nothing else to add)
skobabe8 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4616
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Madrid is NOT as strong as you think. There are other Euro nations angling for 2020.

OK, Doha was cut because of 'weather.' Well, Madrid is hotter than Hades in July-August. So how can Madrid say it's the 'perfect' place? Hmmmm. Barcelona is by the sea so there were a few breezes.

The stars seem to align for Chicago...
Funny as hell (I bet point of view is not determined by where you are, is it . A bit I found about Chicago weather:
"Chicago has an extreme climate with very hot summers and bitterly cold winters. (...) Summers are hot, sunny and humid, from June to the end of September, and are prone to thunderstorms. August is usually the wettest month of the year." (by worldtravels.com)
It works just as much as a disadvantage for Chicago, as hot and dry summer does for Madrid. So let's not go into arguments like this. Extreme hot was Doha and this is where counting climate should end.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #4617
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
Funny as hell (I bet point of view is not determined by where you are, is it . A bit I found about Chicago weather:
"Chicago has an extreme climate with very hot summers and bitterly cold winters. (...) Summers are hot, sunny and humid, from June to the end of September, and are prone to thunderstorms. August is usually the wettest month of the year." (by worldtravels.com)
It works just as much as a disadvantage for Chicago, as hot and dry summer does for Madrid. So let's not go into arguments like this. Extreme hot was Doha and this is where counting climate should end.
And why not? Don't you think the IOC looks at the 'weather'? WHy shouldn't it be discussed?

I never said or indicated that Chicago had perfect weather. Yes, it is summer. But there ARE thunderstorms to cool things off AND it is by a huge lake. Madrid's summer heat is quite debilitating. I found it to be. I have been in Madrid in July. No fun.

All things being equal, Rio has its harbor; Tokyo its bay, Chicago Lake Michigan. (If anything, Rio will probably have the best climate because it will be their mild 'winter' down there...) So that puts 3 of of the 4 finalist cities beside major bodies of water...to help cool the city. Madrid is on a plateau in the middle of the Castilian plains...

But that is NOT the only feature that will determine the selection... it is just ONE of the myriad of factors that come into play.

Last edited by rover3; June 6th, 2008 at 07:17 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #4618
roberto0qs
:D

Likes (Received): 130

GOOO MADRID!! or TOKYOO!!
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4619
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

Indy has poor public transport, it's so small.

Indy does compare to Chicago. Make a list of Chicago's facilities, I bet they are not as good as those in Indianapolis.

My point being while Chicago is entirely capable of hosting an Olympics in 2016, they have a lot of work to do. I suppose most cities do, but I also wanted to plug Indy.

I hope Chicago gets it so I can attend. They would have lots of construction to follow as well.
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4620
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
They would have lots of construction to follow as well.
Which in some perverse way is what the IOC likes to see. The IOC likes to mouth '...no white elephants...' but actually salivates at the prospect of seeing a lot of grandiose construction.
rover3 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016