daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #4621
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

I think Chicago would be a best location. I don't think the IOC would want another "Athens" with Rio de Janeiro on problems such as security, delays, etc.
Animo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4622
RobH

Likes (Received): 10332

If Obama turns up in Copenhagen next year, fresh faced not long after an election victory, Chicago could be givien a major boost.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #4623
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
If Obama turns up in Copenhagen next year, fresh faced not long after an election victory, Chicago could be givien a major boost.
Knowing his ambition, how could he not pass up that shot at extra international exposure?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #4624
RobH

Likes (Received): 10332

It's not just that, we know the IOC love a leader gracing their precence; Blair and Putin worked wonders for their countries in the days leading up to the elections in 2005 and 2007. With that history, Chicago 2016 would be silly not to court Obama if he wins the Presidency.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #4625
Talaier_

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Madrid is NOT as strong as you think. There are other Euro nations angling for 2020.

OK, Doha was cut because of 'weather.' Well, Madrid is hotter than Hades in July-August. So how can Madrid say it's the 'perfect' place? Hmmmm. Barcelona is by the sea so there were a few breezes.

Latin American votes lining up behind Madrid? I don't think so. (Besides there are only I think like 7 or 8 counting 2 Brazilian votes.) For one thing, Lima and Buenos Aires are also hoping for 2020. So even on the first round, Rio will not have its own neighbors in its pocket.

Strategically, my head says the final round will be between Chicago and Tokyo. Emotionally, my heart says it will be between Chicago and Rio. But 2014 will be also now be weighing heavy against Rio. They have not proven themselves until 2014 happens. (The PanAms really don't count. Look, Doha did a better job with the Asians, yet they were out...)

The stars seem to align for Chicago...

Talking from the IOC report, Madrid has the best bid along with Tokyo. And the Latin American vote will line up behind Madrid once Rio is out of the way, no doubts about that.

About the weather, Madrid during August has an average temperature of what...30, 32 ºC? Doha is probably over 40 on average...there is a big difference. Doha is in the middle of the desert, with extreme weather. Madrid has a European continental weather, that is hot but not humid, and is by far more bearable than Barcelona or even New York.

And it's true that Madrid has no coast, but on the other hand it has at a mere 3 hours by car (and even less once the high speed train is completed by 2010) a city like Valencia which has hosted twice the America's Cup and has a bunch of sailing facilities that many other cities can only dream of.
Talaier_ no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #4626
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

MADRID OR TOKYO MMMM
zazo no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4627
infernal

Likes (Received): 2

Madrid has a great bid, but london 2012 and then Madrid 2016... I would get it if it was London 2012 and Prague 2016 which is farther. Spain and England is so close.

my opinion of who has the chances of getting 2016
1) Chicago
2) Tokyo, maybe Rio if Beijing 2008 has a negative effect in their bid
3) Rio
4) Madrid
infernal no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #4628
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

It's just that most American cities have equal or more facilities. Only one venue of 20,000 plus isn't very good.
Scba no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4629
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080606/...lay_of_the_day

Play of the Day: Obama pitches Olympic bid

CHICAGO - Barack Obama says if Chicago is chosen to host the 2016 Olympics, he's hoping there will be a hometown president to kick off the games.
ADVERTISEMENT

"In 2016, I'll be wrapping up my second term as president," Obama said. "So I can't think of a better way than to be marching into Washington Park ... as president of the United States and announcing to the world, 'Let the games begin!'"

The Illinois senator, spending a weekend at home after clinching the Democratic presidential nomination, made a surprise appearance at a downtown rally Friday to promote the city's bid. He drew loud cheers from the crowd and gawkers pressed up to windows from the high rise office buildings surrounding the rally.

Obama joked that his home is only a couple blocks from Washington Park, the proposed site of the games, so he's thinking about how much he could get for renting it out. He's hoping to be living in the White House any way.

Chicago is competing to host the games along with Tokyo; Madrid, Spain; and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Obama was joined at the rally by other elected officials and dignitaries from the city and athletes including track and field gold medalist Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

"It is a great time to be in Chicago," Obama said. "White Sox are winning. Cubs are winning. And Chicago's going to win the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics. And your senator, he's winning, too."
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4630
IMPÉRIO-BR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Ri
IMPÉRIO-BR no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #4631
Nacho_82
CTBA lover

Likes (Received): 4

I'm sorry but Indianapolis would have zero chances against the likes of Madrid, Tokyo & rio
Nacho_82 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4632
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Indianapolis facilities vs. Chicago facilities? Seriously? Lets see, Soldier Field (60,000+), U.S. Cellular (40,000+), Wrigley field (40,000+), United Center (20,000+), UIC Pavilion, Ryan Field (Northwestern - 50,000), Toyota Park (20,000), Allstate Arena (20,000), Sears Center (11,000 +), Chicago State's new basketball arena (7,000 +), Loyola's Gentile Center (5,000 +, with plans to expand soon). And that's only a partial list, not including the entire lakefront of lake michigan, the planned new Olympic Stadium, one of the biggest convention centers in the world, and the fact that Chicago annually hosts one of the largest marathons in the world.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4633
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

Most American cities don't have equal facilities.

Athens only had one venue over 20,000 not including their Olympic Stadium.

I was looking at all the venues from Athens and wow! They build all kinds of places from scratch and they are magnificent. Guess that's the building the IOC likes as mentioned above.

Existing facilities to build upon don't seem too important for the Olympics, or at least they aren't inhibiting factors. Looking at Chicago's bid, they'll just build everything. http://www.chicago2016.org/why-chica...sedVenues.aspx

Good luck on the bid.

And Well, Indy still has great sporting facilities. hehe
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4634
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
Indianapolis facilities vs. Chicago facilities? Seriously? Lets see, Soldier Field (60,000+), U.S. Cellular (40,000+), Wrigley field (40,000+), United Center (20,000+), UIC Pavilion, Ryan Field (Northwestern - 50,000), Toyota Park (20,000), Allstate Arena (20,000), Sears Center (11,000 +), Chicago State's new basketball arena (7,000 +), Loyola's Gentile Center (5,000 +, with plans to expand soon). And that's only a partial list, not including the entire lakefront of lake michigan, the planned new Olympic Stadium, one of the biggest convention centers in the world, and the fact that Chicago annually hosts one of the largest marathons in the world.
If you are going to include facilities in the exurbs of Chicago, then Indy should include some of the very good athletic facilities on the campuses of Indiana and Purdue Universities.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #4635
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
If you are going to include facilities in the exurbs of Chicago, then Indy should include some of the very good athletic facilities on the campuses of Indiana and Purdue Universities.
All of those facilities are in the immediate Chicago metro area. IU (Bloomington) and PU (West Lafayette) are not in the Indianapolis metro area. If you wan to go that route, then I'll throw in the facilities in Rockford, Milwaukee, South Bend, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria, and the University of Illinois down in Champaign. Indianapolis has some great athletic facilities...but lets be real here, they don't have near the amount as Chicago does.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #4636
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

I wouldn't count Wrigley or US Cellular, I don't know what events they would put in those venues. I just see no equal tennis, velodrome, natatorium or rowing centers in Chicago. Arenas are nice, but I'm considering variety.

Chicago can build new places and host a brilliant games, they just don't have them yet.

So Indy facilities vs. Chicago facilities, serious. And the Chicago's marathon is only 10,000 more than Indy's. And we host two 300,000 spectator single day sporting events.

Our new airport is opening too.

I know Indy will never host the Olympics. But it's fun to be biased and argue.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4637
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Which in some perverse way is what the IOC likes to see. The IOC likes to mouth '...no white elephants...' but actually salivates at the prospect of seeing a lot of grandiose construction.
So true, they are totally infatuiated with their own "legacy".

........Such a lame thread, as much as I respect and like my neighbor city to the souteast Inday doesn't have the infrastructure that REALLY cost a lot and you can't buy with bonds like international airline routes and plethora of downtown and area hotel rooms.

Not to mention the two biggest venues (the track and swimming facility) are inadquate in Inday and would have to basically be redone to such a level that starting from the ground up like Chicago plans would only be minimal more work.

Quote:
I wouldn't count Wrigley or US Cellular
Yet you are going to include your 16k minor league baseball stadium.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4638
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
All of those facilities are in the immediate Chicago metro area. IU (Bloomington) and PU (West Lafayette) are not in the Indianapolis metro area. If you wan to go that route, then I'll throw in the facilities in Rockford, Milwaukee, South Bend, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria, and the University of Illinois down in Champaign. Indianapolis has some great athletic facilities...but lets be real here, they don't have near the amount as Chicago does.
Indiana and Purdue Universities are one hour from DT Indianapolis. Peoria, Champaign, etc. are all 3+ hours from Chicago. Don't go there.

Hoffman Estates and Aurora are longer than one hour by car from Chicago.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4639
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Such a lame reply. Clearly I'm not very serious. But our Natatorium wouldn't need much work to be Olympic ready, it's already the best in the US.

Yea, our baseball stadium shouldn't really be counted then.

I really do hope Chicago gets the 2016 bid btw.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #4640
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Such a lame reply. Clearly I'm not very serious. But our Natatorium wouldn't need much work to be Olympic ready, it's already the best in the US.

Yea, our baseball stadium shouldn't really be counted then.
What do you mean? An appropiate olympic swimming facility holds 15-20k. You would have to take off the whole roof of the structure and retrofit it.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016