daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:07 AM   #4861
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Its South America turn! You have Atlanta '96!
They had PanAms 2007 and will have Brazil 2014.

So, 2016 should be our turn again.
Knitemplar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #4862
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Its South America turn! You have Atlanta '96!
If it is South America's turn why were their invitations for other continents to submit bids? Why didn't more South American cities (namely Buenos Aires or Santiago) make bids then if it is such a forgone conclusion?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:09 AM   #4863
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
I hope it goes to Rio as it’s a top class city and the Olympics need to spread out it’s about time that an Olympics went to South America and Brazil. And although Rio does have its faults I'm sure having an Olympics can be a catalyst for Improved infrastructure and I think that the Olympic effect would be felt greater in Rio than in any of the other candidate cities.
Yes !

Go Rio de Janeiro !!!
Cauê no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM   #4864
irving1903

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
If it is South America's turn why were their invitations for other continents to submit bids? Why didn't more South American cities (namely Buenos Aires or Santiago) make bids then if it is such a forgone conclusion?
true true

Other nations cannot complain about the u.s possibly hosting more games if they do not step up and put forth a bid. I mean if a small country like Greece can put on spectacular olympics then why not other similar countries in Latin America. So Argentina and Chile definetly should have stepped it up regardless of the obstacles they faced.
irving1903 no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM   #4865
guigotz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Recently Argentina had a problem with their economy .... im sure that they re capable to realize an excelent olympic games, but still today theyre suffering they cant stablish their economy like 8 years ago....

Santiago ive been there ... Its an AWESOME city.... i loved its really modern ...Chile is a great contry but i my opinon they are not interesed in host the summer olympic games.... They will compete for 2018 winter games and if Rio wont get it .... Chile has real chances to host it.

The others countries dont have structure to realize an event like an olympic games
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM   #4866
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I would like to see the games back in the US, but this time in a better city than Atlanta. Chicago, New York, Washington-Baltimore, etc... would all be good choices.

Having said that, my ideal pick for 2016 would be Toronto. Great city, shame it hasn't hosted an Olympics yet.....
We can do it in 2020!! I am rooting for Rio in 2016 because that means Toronto can have it in 2020. If Toronto can land the 2015 PanAm games, that can serve as preparation for the Olympics...like Rio!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #4867
Canadian Chocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigotz View Post
Santiago ive been there ... Its an AWESOME city.... i loved its really modern ...Chile is a great contry but i my opinon they are not interesed in host the summer olympic games.... They will compete for 2018 winter games and if Rio wont get it .... Chile has real chances to host it.
I dunno, the winter games can only be played in select areas of the World so I don't think a Santiago bid would be too hurt if Rio gets it.

1 2 3
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM   #4868
guigotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho View Post
We can do it in 2020!! I am rooting for Rio in 2016 because that means Toronto can have it in 2020. If Toronto can land the 2015 PanAm games, that can serve as preparation for the Olympics...like Rio!
Impossible man.... Toronto and Rio are in the same continent ... dont exist South, Central and North America ... exist AMERICA...

only 2028 or 2032 But .... Canada already has the winter games...its not so bad
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM   #4869
guigotz

Quote:
I dunno, the winter games can only be played in select areas of the World so I don't think a Santiago bid would be too hurt if Rio gets it.
i didnt understand ur point of view ... Santiago has a good centers of ski like Valle Navado or El Colorado.... the structure is too similar like alpes venues.... and the city is really beautiful and the transport system and the security work pretty well.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #4870
Canadian Chocho

I understand that Santiago has good hills. I would love to see Santiago host the Winter Olympics too. What I meant was that they should bid even if Rio gets the 2016 Olympic games. Because the Winter games can only be played in select areas of the World (where there are mountains and snow). although it would be weird having winter games when it's summer in the northern hemisphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigotz View Post
Impossible man.... Toronto and Rio are in the same continent ... dont exist South, Central and North America ... exist AMERICA...

only 2028 or 2032 But .... Canada already has the winter games...its not so bad
Well it's North America. Anyways, the best thing Toronto has going for itself is it's time zone. Toronto's time zone. It's the same as the Eastern USA, which mean more TV viewership.

1 2 3
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4871
merope

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
What MGM is saying -- if I understand him/her right - and it's a very bizarre scenario is the Brazil will cede its WC rights for 2014 to the US; that way, Brazil can concentrate its 'limited' financial resources for the smaller event for Rio and hope to win 2016. And since it ceded 2014 to the US, 'hopes the US will reciprocate and let Chicago also defer 2016 to Rio.

Altogether a very 'radical' scenario. I like the first half.
That could never happen. If Brazil could not host the WC in 2014, FIFA would decide who replaced them, not Brazil themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xednanx View Post
Tokyo

because it is so...

JAPANice
(japan nice)
Thanks for explaining that.
merope no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM   #4872
Pozei

Likes (Received): 0

America already boasts about how great they are and have hosted many olympic games but there are very few and were in a stage where global developement has been pulling hundreds of millions of people out of poverty in the last couple of decades maybe give a more developing city the olympics I think they deserve it, Rio for 2016.
Brisbane for 2024 or 2026
Pozei no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM   #4873
merope

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozei View Post
America already boasts about how great they are and have hosted many olympic games but there are very few and were in a stage where global developement has been pulling hundreds of millions of people out of poverty in the last couple of decades maybe give a more developing city the olympics I think they deserve it, Rio for 2016.
Forgive my ignorance, but is Brisbane not a sub-tropical city? Since the 2026 Olympics will be of the Winter variety, I don't see how they could be hosts then.
merope no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM   #4874
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
really? I dont ever remember us boasting so...
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM   #4875
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Brisbane for 2024
or 2026

theespecialone no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM   #4876
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
please no more Olympics in the US. There are many other countries in the world.

Turkey should not get the Olympics because there are better cities in the world. See how dumb your statement sounds.
Smallville no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4877
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2749

Quote:
Originally Posted by coexist View Post
Well, you have to remember, the 1984 Games were given to us because no other nation was willing to step up and take them after the debacle in Montreal in 1976, combined with memories of the attacks in Munich in 1972 and knowledge that there was a very good chance tons of nations would boycott the 1980 Olympics (which, of course, did happen). The Olympics were pretty desperate at that point - in 1978, when the 1984 games were awarded to LA, the last 2 games had been disasters for seperate reasons, and the 1980 games weren't looking much better - yet LA stepped up and put on a fantastic Olympic games. So, it is true that America has hosted a lot of games recently, but that's because in 1984, we were the IOC's only option, and we were the only nation willing to step up and put on the Olympics and get the event back on its feet.

Plus, Chicago already has the existing infrastructure for an Olympic games, which is extremely important given the fact that a lot of cities which build all new venues for the Olympics often wind up in extremely tough financial decisions afterwards. While Chicago will need to build an Olympic Stadium, most of the other venues that would be used are already existing. Thus, the risk of financial loss is lessened (plus, the US can absorb a financial hit a lot easier than other nations).
You're right, Chicago is able to host the games, but there are TONS of cities around the globe, which can do the same! Especially Tokyo, an other candidate city of the 2016 games. Japan hosted the games in 1964, so they derseved it 52 (!!) years later to host the games. The distance from Atlanta to Chicago would be just 20 (!!!) years!
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #4878
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I understand that Santiago has good hills. I would love to see Santiago host the Winter Olympics too. What I meant was that they should bid even if Rio gets the 2016 Olympic games. Because the Winter games can only be played in select areas of the World (where there are mountains and snow). although it would be weird having winter games when it's summer in the northern hemisphere.

It would be interesting to know if the IOC would ever give serious consideration to having a winter games during the northern hemisphere summer. They may consider it to much of an unknown on if northerners would tune in during the summer to watch skiing and skating on TV. It would be interesting to spend the day at the beach and then at night plop in front of the TV to watch bobsled. For northerners it could be like experiencing Christmas during July.

There are some great places like Chile and New Zealand that could benefit if they ever decide to do it.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM   #4879
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
You're right, Chicago is able to host the games, but there are TONS of cities around the globe, which can do the same! Especially Tokyo, an other candidate city of the 2016 games. Japan hosted the games in 1964, so they derseved it 52 (!!) years later to host the games. The distance from Atlanta to Chicago would be just 20 (!!!) years!
Yes, but between Beijing 2008 and a Tokyo 2016 would be ONLY 8 years (for a return to Asia), so that would be TOO close. Whereas Atlanta to a Chicago or Rio Games would be 20 years -- about the time the Games return to a non-European continent.
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4880
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Maybe we could get some renders or photos of some of the Madrid and Tokyo venues? It would sure beat the BS irreverant mud sligging of late.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016