daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4921
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post

+ In 2016, Brazil will be the 5th economy in the world.
Well, you haven't taken into account that you/Brazil MAY go into a negative territory or deficit balance come 2015 due to the cost of staging the 2014 World Cup. The IOC, especially after the humungous costs of Beijing 2008, are mindful of the costs of these extravaganzas.

Remember, UNTIL pushed by others, your President Lula initially did NOT want to take on the responsibility of the 2014 World Cup. Or have we forgotten already?
Knitemplar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #4922
MGM

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
Well, you haven't taken into account that you/Brazil MAY go into a negative territory or deficit balance come 2015 due to the cost of staging the 2014 World Cup. The IOC, especially after the humungous costs of Beijing 2008, are mindful of the costs of these extravaganzas.

Remember, UNTIL pushed by others, your President Lula initially did NOT want to take on the responsibility of the 2014 World Cup. Or have we forgotten already?
Chinese stravaganza had a purpose: an autoritarian government wanted to show the world their power and nonsense... building dazzling venues which would never had been done anywhere in the world but China, because no other country has cheap workers avaliable to die [2500 losts every year].

Any other city from now would not go trough stravaganza, even London, neither Rio or Chicago. Plus Brazil have no intention to show to the world what the chinese wanted.

MORE: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7583948.story

This information about president Lula's yesterday's preferences doesn't mean anything. The FACT is: Brazil will make the WC and is hardworking to get the OG. A lot of decisions aren't necessarily taken by the president's mind, in any country of the world. That's why they have ministers.

MORE: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5270859.story

Last edited by MGM; August 27th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
MGM no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #4923
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Mexico City 1968 Olympics
Mexico 1970 World Cup

Munich 1972 Olympics
West Germany 1974 World Cup

USA 1994 World Cup
Atlanta 1996 Olympics
This is how you own and shut a thread down.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4924
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I would love to have it for Chicago but in terms of presentation, culture and the will, Rio de Janeiro definitely deserve it and I voted for the city. Just imagine of the term "CARNAVAL". That will be totally amazing! Plus, that will help the city definitely if its chosen. Imagine clering up all those criminals and gangs.
Gaeus no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #4925
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
This is how you own and shut a thread down.

No one is saying it hasnt been done, I think jetfrog was talking about $afforability$.

Last edited by skobabe8; September 1st, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
skobabe8 no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #4926
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

What China showed the world is that it is an economic power, and that hundreds of millions of people have experienced substantial improvement in living standards. This is why all the china-bashers are so angry and are now dismissing all the achievements that the Chinese have made. They are jealous of China's success in economic growth, in the Olympics and in the continuous building of impressive infrastructures that are benefitting all the Chinese people. The bashers are only using the so-called democracy issue as an excuse to bash the Chinese people.

Last edited by maldini; August 29th, 2008 at 06:43 AM.
maldini no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #4927
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
No one is saying it hasnt been down, I think jetfrog was talking about $afforability$.
I see. But I look at that comment as going out to people in general who says that a nation cannot host the World Cup and the Olympics so very close to each other.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #4928
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
What China showed the world that it is an economic power, and that hundreds of millions of people have experienced substantial improvement in living standards. This is why all the china-bashers are so angry and are now dismissing all the achievements that the Chinese have made. They are jealous of China's success in economic growth, in the Olympics and in the continuous building of impressive infrastructures that are benefitting all the Chinese people. The bashers are only using the so-called democracy issue as an excuse to bash the Chinese people.
AGREED!
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #4929
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
What China showed the world is that it is an economic power, and that hundreds of millions of people have experienced substantial improvement in living standards. This is why all the china-bashers are so angry and are now dismissing all the achievements that the Chinese have made. They are jealous of China's success in economic growth, in the Olympics and in the continuous building of impressive infrastructures that are benefitting all the Chinese people. The bashers are only using the so-called democracy issue as an excuse to bash the Chinese people.
No one is jealous of China's economic growth or its people. What people have issue with are the actions and policies of "The People's" government. The Olympics showed two things:

- The Chinese people are warm(we know this already, so get over it)
- The Chinese government can spend a lot of money no matter what the cost.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4930
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
No one is jealous of China's economic growth or its people. What people have issue with are the actions and policies of "The People's" government. The Olympics showed two things:

- The Chinese people are warm(we know this already, so get over it)
- The Chinese government can spend a lot of money no matter what the cost.
You got it all wrong here. Foreign opinion is irrelevant with regard to China. According to the Pew Research Center, most Chinese people support the general direction of development of China. They are taking advantage of the stability of their country to develop their economy. That's why their living standards are improving rapidly.
maldini no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4931
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

bump
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4932
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

After the disgraceful photos of the Spanish Team, they have showed that they are racists and hate mongerers in sport and have no chance at hosting an Olympics that involves people from all races and ethnicities across the world. It must not go to Madrid unless the foundry of hate is to once again manufacture injustice and terror.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #4933
krzysiu_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Tokyooooo ftw!
krzysiu_ no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4934
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

chicago
tokyo
madrid
rio
RON-E no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #4935
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Dunno if this has already been posted here, sorry if so:

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4936
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Yes, but Atlanta had a metro area of over 1.5 mil in 1990; the capital of a state of 6,000,000; and the major city in a region of some 25 mil+ people -- all within its national borders.
Leipzig isn't far off this numbers but was considered too small. I rather suspect they didn't bribe enough.
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #4937
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Leipzig isn't far off this numbers but was considered too small. I rather suspect they didn't bribe enough.
atlanta's metro at the time of the 1996 olympics had about 4.5 mil. Now the metro is almost 5.5 mil.

Last edited by Yrmom247; October 28th, 2008 at 06:59 AM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #4938
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Right now with the world wide economy the way it is Tokyo has the best shot. The Yen is the highest currency at the moment. But mind you these are today's economic conditions. No telling what the future beholds.
It'll either go to Tokyo or Chicago. I really want it to go to Tokyo even though I voted for Chicago. I knew I had voted too early.
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4939
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

haha, i love the end of the video

"Hola Everyone" did mid 90's rap group put together that theme?
Arist no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #4940
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
Right now with the world wide economy the way it is Tokyo has the best shot. The Yen is the highest currency at the moment. But mind you these are today's economic conditions. No telling what the future beholds.
It'll either go to Tokyo or Chicago. I really want it to go to Tokyo even though I voted for Chicago. I knew I had voted too early.
I think Madrid presents the safest bid. High number of existing venues, world class transport system, and great revenue potential. The attention to detail and know how puts madrid ahead in my evaluation.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016