daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4941
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I think Madrid presents the safest bid. High number of existing venues, world class transport system, and great revenue potential. The attention to detail and know how puts madrid ahead in my evaluation.
yeah, i like the part how its only 4 years after London. Oh wait...

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #4942
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I think Madrid presents the safest bid. High number of existing venues, world class transport system, and great revenue potential. The attention to detail and know how puts madrid ahead in my evaluation.
yeah, like Chicago too...

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4943
SOLOMON
North America USA-Canada

Likes (Received): 673

C H I C A G O
SOLOMON no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4944
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Mexico City 1968 Olympics
Mexico 1970 World Cup

Munich 1972 Olympics
West Germany 1974 World Cup

USA 1994 World Cup
Atlanta 1996 Olympics

Paris — scored 8.5
Madrid — scored 8.3
London — scored 7.6
New York City — scored 7.5
Moscow — scored 6.5

+ Brazil sent 300 athletes to Beijing (more than Spain).
+ In 2016, Brazil will be the 5th economy in the world.
Those were diferrent times, different games, and the big different is that a world cup is in different city, and the Olympics Games are for ONE CITY. BTW, i see that some of those countires had their WC before than the Olympics... Except the U.S..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4945
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrysxy View Post
yeah, like Chicago too...
Even with Chicago's sizable bus and train routes I would a hard time characterization as world class. It is more a relatively bare bones though pretty extensive system.

Saying they are not on part with Tokyo and Madrid's though isn't a huge knock though as they are arguably the tops in the world (along with NYC, London, Paris).
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4946
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

What, Chicago was one of the worlds greatest public transportation systems. Chicago will get the 2016 bid, it has more to offer then any of the other cities. England will prevent Madrid from getting it.
Arist no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4947
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

, and is in the United States .

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #4948
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Chicago Drops From Top Spot In 2016 Olympic Bid BidIndex Despite “Obama Effect”

Tokyo has taken the lead in the latest installment of GamesBids.com’s BidIndex, the original and most trusted formula for rating Olympic bids throughout their campaigns. In this first update since the evaluation report was released and the short list revealed last June, many new dimensions have been added to measure the potential success of each bid; the latest being added today after the U.S. election.

New frontrunner Tokyo scored 61.22, up 0.56 and with a healthy lead over second-place Rio de Janeiro, down 0.17 to 59.73. Even with the loss, Rio moved up one spot ahead of Chicago. Chicago dropped from first to third and fell 1.96 points to 58.78 narrowly ahead of fourth place Madrid at 58.63, down 0.87. Madrid was also fourth in the June update.

Despite this week’s historic U.S. election victory by Barack Obama who has close ties to the city – Chicago’s bid fell to third behind Rio de Janeiro. While President-elect Obama will certainly be a valuable asset to the Chicago bid team, it’s too early to determine whether his politics or involvement in the bid will have a significant impact on the final vote next October. Chicago 2016 Spokesperson Patrick Sandusky told GamesBids.com today that while the bid team hopes the newly-elected president will attend the bid election in Copenhagen next year, they can’t predict what his schedule will be at that time.

“[President-elect Barack Obama] is an ardent supporter of our bid, he has attended rallies and been involved in films – he has been a backer from the get-go”, said Sandusky.

“There are no immediate plans for Obama to be involved in any presentations” he added.

Chicago’s scores in the IOC evaluation report were weaker than anticipated resulting in the decline.

Bouyed by a strong evaluation report released by the IOC in June, Tokyo has shown that it has strong technical fundamentals – an important factor at this early stage of the race. The compact centralized plan, top-rated accommodations and an effective financial plan put the Japanese Capital on top. IOC members will be anxious to see what this bid offers next year when the full plan is submitted.

Widely considered a sentimental favourite, Rio de Janiero is trying to become the first city to host the Olympics in South America. While IOC President Jacques Rogge’s desire to bring the Games to new continents is a driving factor behind the bid today – Rio will have to back it up next year with strong fundamentals and consistent strategic lobbying.

Madrid’s fourth place standing in BidIndex is somewhat deceiving. The Spanish bid is the most experienced in the field and it came second on the IOC evaluation report – but Madrid still stands very narrowly behind Rio, and still in striking distance from the top spot. With much potential, this bid has the best chance to gain momentum throughout the campaign next year because of its familiarity with the IOC and the support of former IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch, both important factors when the hard lobbying begins.

The bids will submit complete bid books with much additional information to the IOC in February 2009. This data will help further shape BidIndex and could cause further fluctuations. Later in April and May, the IOC will conduct evaluation visits of each city that will provide more data to the BidIndex model.

BidIndex is a mathematical model developed by GamesBids.com that when applied to an Olympic Bid, produces a number that can be used to rate a bid relative to past successful bids - and possibly gauge its potential success. London’s winning 2012 bid had a final BidIndex score of 65.07 while Sochi's winning 2014 Winter Games bids scored 63.17.

BidIndex is not intended to rate the bids based solely on technical quality, but on how the bids will perform based on IOC voting patterns. History has proven that the best technical bids often do not win but other factors such as geo-politics usually have a significant impact.

BidIndex Results

Tokyo: 61.22 (up 0.56)
Rio: 59.73 (down 0.17)
Chicago: 58.78 (down 1.96)
Madrid: 58.63 (down 0.87)
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #4949
Arist
BANNED

Chicago is going to win now that Obama is President of the USA. Europe loves him, and this is one of the most historic elections EVER!

Go Chicago!
Arist no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4950
Mr.Underground
BANNED

I live in Italy and I hope in Tokyo 2016. Olympic games in U.S.A. are so boring always (see Atlanta 1996) and I love idea to build a stadium in the center of seaport. The venues in Tokyo are the best absolutely.

So go Tokyo 2016.
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4951
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

It would be great to see the games back in Japan. Japan was still only an emerging economic power when the Summer Olympics were last in Japan. The Japanese will have waited 52 years by the time 2016 rolls around.

Give it to Tokyo. It's the largest city on the planet by a long shot. Tokyo and Japan deserve it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #4952
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It would be great to see the games back in Japan. Japan was still only an emerging economic power when the Summer Olympics were last in Japan. The Japanese will have waited 52 years by the time 2016 rolls around.

Give it to Tokyo. It's the largest city on the planet by a long shot. Tokyo and Japan deserve it.
I agree with you absolutely.

Forza Bargnani
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4953
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

Chicago is my first choice. Then Rio. That part of the world hasn't had the SOG's for a while and I think, with America's reputation hopefully on the rise, Chicago 2016 could be a fabulous Olympics. Rio could host a good games as well but they're a bit more of a risk and have the 2014 World Cup to worry about at the moment. So I'm going for Chicago.

Tokyo is for me a little too soon after Beijing and I think Europe's next Games ought to be 2024 (I'm hoping to see a winning Cape Town bid for 2020). 2016 is far too soon for Madrid imho, and some could argue that, for a relatively small country like Spain, 2016 is too soon after 1992.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4954
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Tokyo is a little too soon after Beijing? Athens and London are 8 years apart too. Yet another Olympics in the USA isn't palatable. From reading the many posts and threads on this subject, this sentiment is fairly common around the world. The States just had the Summer Olympics in 1996 for god's sake.

Chicago is a great city, but if the Summer Olympics are going to come back here to America, it should go to Brazil, not the United States.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4955
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
I live in Italy and I hope in Tokyo 2016. Olympic games in U.S.A. are so boring always (see Atlanta 1996) and I love idea to build a stadium in the center of seaport. The venues in Tokyo are the best absolutely.

So go Tokyo 2016.
The olympics here arent always boring, you cant judge all of them by Atlanta
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4956
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

Quote:
Tokyo is a little too soon after Beijing? Athens and London are 8 years apart too. Yet another Olympics in the USA isn't palatable. From reading the many posts and threads on this subject, this sentiment is fairly common around the world. The States just had the Summer Olympics in 1996 for god's sake.
1988: Asia
1992: Europe
1996: N. America
2000: Australia
2004: Europe
2008: Asia
2012: Europe
2016: Asia

Asia: 3
Europe: 3
Australia: 1
N. America: 1

Not saying we'll get it or we won't, but it's only been in the US twice in the past 76 years.
Chicagoago no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #4957
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
The olympics here arent always boring, you cant judge all of them by Atlanta
I agree, you can't use the games of Atlanta as a benchmark for all U.S. games. Granted the Atlanta games were not that good, especially compared to Los Angeles, I would bet the U.S. can put on a great games.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4958
Arist
BANNED

Quote:
The States just had the Summer Olympics in 1996 for god's sake.
12 years ago is along time. People who were born in 96 are about to become teenagers, and by 2016, that will be 20 years. every American born during the last US Olympics will be in College and have jobs.

And who ever said US Olympics is boring needs to watch the European Olympics from an American Perspective. Tokyo and Madrid are to close to Beijing and London's Olympics. Rio and Chicago should be the front Runners.
Arist no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4959
Arist
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
1988: Asia
1992: Europe
1996: N. America
2000: Australia
2004: Europe
2008: Asia
2012: Europe
2016: Asia

Asia: 3
Europe: 3
Australia: 1
N. America: 1

Not saying we'll get it or we won't, but it's only been in the US twice in the past 76 years.
North America is Due.
Arist no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #4960
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

Quote:
Tokyo is a little too soon after Beijing? Athens and London are 8 years apart too.
I would normally have said that 2012 would be too soon for another European Olympics; but the fact that my home city won them means my principles have gone out of the window a little.

Sorry, I'm not perfect.

Quote:
Yet another Olympics in the USA isn't palatable. From reading the many posts and threads on this subject, this sentiment is fairly common around the world. The States just had the Summer Olympics in 1996 for god's sake.
Well, if that's true, my personal opinion differs from popular sentiment. I won't apologise for that. I think Chicago would be great and I think, given the size of the USA (comparable to most of Europe), the disproportionate amount of money they put into the IOC's coffers, and the fact that an American city won't have hosted for 20 years, it's not unreasonable to be championing the Windy City's cause.

Quote:
Chicago is a great city, but if the Summer Olympics are going to come back here to America, it should go to Brazil, not the United States.
I think the 2014 world cup, a tournament that requires Brazil to carry out a huge amount of construction, is plenty enough at the moment. I suspect, when it comes to the crunch, the IOC may agree. As I said in my last post though, Rio would be my second choice and would I'm sure, host a good games; I just think it's a risky option for the IOC to take.

Last edited by RobH; November 7th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016