daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #4961
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I think that an Olympic Games in U.S.A. will not astonish the world for big venues or for interesting clusters.
Only Asia and Europe could astonish in this sense.

I think an Olympic games in U.S.A. will the best for organitation only, but in generale Olympic games in North America 're too cold and too commercial. An olympic games in Chicago is without passion, is a normal.

The stadiums will be similar to the past stadiums, Japan has a stadium in a location very particular, the design will be more interesting than Chicago one, and the olympic games will be lived with passion, the same passion that America and American have not. Salt Lake City was awful, not only Atlanta.

Do you want a new country? Why not Dubai or Doha for 2020.

And I love USA and for me American are the best people in the world, but in sport field is too boring.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #4962
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
I think that an Olympic Games in U.S.A. will not astonish the world for big venues or for interesting clusters.

I think an Olympic games in U.S.A. will the best for organitation only, but in generale Olympic games in North America 're too cold and too commercial. An olympic games in Chicago is without passion, is a normal.

The stadiums will be similar to the past stadiums, Japan has a stadium in a location very particular, the design will be more interesting than Chicago one, and the olympic games will be lived with passion, the same passion that America and American have not. Salt Lake City was awful, not only Atlanta.

And I love USA and for me American are the best people in the world, but in sport field is too boring.
bma83 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4963
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:

By 2020, Dubai and Doha could present amazing bids. If any of the current construction going on in Dubai could be used as a basis, then I think its safe to assume that an Olympics in Dubai would provide the most spectacular venues ever seen.

Atlanta is a poor example to use for the U.S. hosting the Olympics. Yes, those games were way too commercial, then again, one of the main reasons Atlanta was able to get the games is because of the large sum of money put up by corporations.

I don't think it would be fair to say that only Asia and Europe could astonish with the venues used. I think it is safe to assume that any continent could have a city astonish the world with its venues.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #4964
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arist View Post
12 years ago is along time. People who were born in 96 are about to become teenagers, and by 2016, that will be 20 years. every American born during the last US Olympics will be in College and have jobs.
Oh yes, 20 years are such a long time. Tell that the 180 nations that have never hosted the games and probably never will. Because one nation claims it every 20 years.
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4965
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

yeah chicago and its citizens have no passion, and the fact that the '96 games being commercial had nothing to do with it being the centennial games.

dont say americans arent passionate about sports, thats just ignorant
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #4966
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post

Not saying we'll get it or we won't, but it's only been in the US twice in the past 76 years.
That's a distortion of the facts. It's been in the US twice in the past 24 years. If Chicago gets 2016, that will make it 3 times in 32 years. That's way too much.

I understand wanting to host, but it's not realistic to expect people around the world to see this as equitable.

Quote:
12 years ago is along time. People who were born in 96 are about to become teenagers, and by 2016, that will be 20 years. every American born during the last US Olympics will be in College and have jobs.
If you think 12 years is a long time??? Good god! Try 16 years since the Spanish had it, 44 years since the Japanese had it, and never ever since the entire South American continent had it. My sympathy for Americans having to wait is zero. If anything, your own argument would suggest that it's certainly not the USA's turn.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 8th, 2008 at 04:34 AM.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #4967
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's a distortion of the facts. It's been in the US twice in the past 24 years. If Chicago gets 2016, that will make it 3 times in 32 years. That's way too much.
I must be an idiot if i think 32 years is a long time.

Quote:
If you think 12 years is a long time??? Good god! Try 16 years since the Spanish had it, 44 years since the Japanese had it, and never ever since the entire South American continent had it. My sympathy for Americans having to wait is zero. If anything, your own argument would suggest that it's certainly not the USA's turn.
Asia just hosted, Europe has it in 4 years, its the Americas turn and South America is still not ready. Chicago!

And 12 years is a long time ago, I was 10 then, and i must be an idiot in your book since i think 12 years was along time ago.
Arist no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #4968
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

Asia just hosted, Europe has it in 4 years, its the Americas turn and South America is still not ready. Chicago!

And 12 years is a long time ago, I was 10 then, and i must be an idiot in your book since i think 12 years was along time ago.
12 years isnt that long, we dont deserve it every 20 years unless we have without a doubt the best bid...which in my mind is Chicago. Still, its not a lock.
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #4969
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

I already said that I believe Rio will get the game but some of the comments against the US are laughable. The IOC knows that the games in Olympics benefit them the most compared to just about any other nation out there. They know there is money, exposure, and opportunity there. Chicagoans lack passion. Sorry but that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. I don't know when Atlanta became the be all for American cities. But try telling Chicagoans they have no passion when they support the Cubs and Bears (I chose these two teams because these are most followed teams in the city. No disrespect White Sox and Bulls fans) which has a combined 1 championship between each other in the past 40 maybe 50 years.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #4970
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
It would be great to see the games back in Japan. Japan was still only an emerging economic power when the Summer Olympics were last in Japan. The Japanese will have waited 52 years by the time 2016 rolls around.

Give it to Tokyo. It's the largest city on the planet by a long shot. Tokyo and Japan deserve it.
can i tell you something, you are an idiot, japan is not nearly the largest city in the world, according to the size of the city proper, mumbai, karachi, istanbul, delhi, sao paolo, moscow, seoul, shanghai, mexico city, and beijing all have more people that tokyo, tokyo has 8,731,000 people Mumbai has 13,662,000, your remarks were very inaccurate and foolish, someone needs to slap you for being so ignorant and biased
backupcoolm4n no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #4971
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Actually isaidso is right. In terms of metro size Tokyo is the biggest metro and has been since about the 60's I think. The boundaries of the wards and prefectures make the estimate a bit hazy but if you are counting city limits then I don't think that is a good qualifier since or else the populations such as Paris or San Fran would indicate a smaller importance then they do.
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #4972
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Actually isaidso is right. In terms of metro size Tokyo is the biggest metro and has been since about the 60's I think. The boundaries of the wards and prefectures make the estimate a bit hazy but if you are counting city limits then I don't think that is a good qualifier since or else the populations such as Paris or San Fran would indicate a smaller importance then they do.
he said largest city, not largest metro
backupcoolm4n no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #4973
isaidso
the new republic

Excuse me? I'm an idiot for not specifying that I'm talking about metro population so that a 'gentlemen' like yourself doesn't get confused. Sorry, but I'm not about to lower the level of argument to cater to cave men. I need a slap?

You better watch your mouth and your manners if you want to remain on this site. Consider yourself monitored. The people managing this site don't take kindly to ignorant condescending rudeness. Btw, my IQ is past 140. That's a few standard deviations above average, if you need clarification. No where close to being an 'idiot'.

Quote:

You're not an idiot, just extremely selfish. 300 million South Americans have never had the Olympics, and all you can think about is that you've had to wait 12 years. Talk about a sense of entitlement. If this is the mentality in your city, it will be a tremendous mistake to host a global event like the Olympics in Chicago. This is exactly why so many people around the world are dreading another Games in your country. I expected a more worldly mentality from a Chicagoan.

Are you capable of thinking of other people beyond your borders at all? Doesn't sound like it.

Nice Cuban theme on that plane, btw.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 8th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #4974
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Listen, I understand that line of sentiment but people from the IOC can evaluate that consideration and there is more to take into account other then an arbitration determination of whose turn it is.

Are you going to sit and tell me that many Toronto natives and fellow Canadians were acting unselfishly in 1996 and 2008 saying "please don't give the games to us because Montreal was not long ago"? Ah yes, I remember hearing the chorus of Canadians saying pass it around the world again before it come back around to us in forty or sixty years. I remember in the Toronto threads talking about an Olympic run most people saying they insist on other world cities to have their turn before it goes to Toronto didn't I? Of course Canadians would never be "selfish" to do anything otherwise unlike brute Americans.

Or for some reason that only Canadians now and don't tell us our northern neighbor of forty million people deserves to get an Olympics every twenty-thirty years while our considerably larger country on which much of the IOC sustains itself does not.

Sorry, but the constant Americans are too arrogant and selfish to want the game crap is getting old. If that is the case then don't even let them be a part of the process.
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #4975
isaidso
the new republic

I can hardly be made accountable for opinions expressed by other people in my country, can I? I can only be held accountable for myself. If Canadians weren't able to see the selfishness of wanting a Games in 1976 and again in 1996, I would have been the first to point it out.

Of course I wanted Toronto to get the Games in 1996, 20 years after Montreal, but I'm not so blind that I failed to realize how soon it was after our last Olympics. Why can't some Americans see that too?

2008? Again, of course I wanted Toronto to win. That time around, it would have been more palatable since 32 years would have elapsed since Montreal. China had never hosted. Although I would have loved a Toronto Games last year, I was happy for China. It meant so much to them. Toronto didn't win either of those bids and we're patiently waiting for another opportunity. Canada's turn will one day come again. 2020, 2024, or 2028? Who knows.

Like I said before, I understand wanting to host, but it's unrealistic to expect people around the world to find it equitable if it goes to the USA in 2016. That's just the plain truth whether Americans want to acknowledge it or not.

Toronto will keep bidding along with all the many other cities around the world that covet hosting. This is a global event. It needs to at least have the appearance of fairness and equity to all regions of the world.

Last edited by isaidso; November 8th, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #4976
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

In addition to the comments/discussions I suggest members refer to the application file of candidates before making sweeping statements about the quality of any bid. Ignorance is not evidence.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4977
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

As for Americans being selfish. Pfft, whatever thats why it's called a competition. Let the best bid win, just like the actual events.

It's not like we tell competitors they're selfish for winning more than one gold. What should Phelps have not won all those medals, was that "selfish" of him too.
Should Usain Bolt have slowed down and let the rest of the runners ca.......wait..wrong example.

Guys, we got this...we're running s*** now!

Not because of Obama, but because Rahm "I gets mine" Emmanuel is going to be his chief of staff. He's as Chicago as Chicago can be, he's as machine as machine can be. He's old-school take no prisoners Chicago.

"You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get the Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?"

Ladies and gents, Richard M. Daley wants his Olympics and now he has his inside man running the day to day affairs in the White House.

The IOC is a crooked as crooked can be, with Daley at the helm, the rest of the world really never had a chance. He's the Lionel Messi of graft. Or to use another Untouchables quote, everyone else brought a knife to a gun fight.

Last edited by SIC; November 8th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4978
isaidso
the new republic

The IOC will surely warm to that tactic. Perhaps, the competing bids should hire you on to help them win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
As for Americans being selfish. Pfft, whatever thats why it's called a competition. Let the best bid win, just like the actual events.
Let's be clear here. No one has called Americans selfish. It was mentioned that some Americans were behaving selfishly if they couldn't see why it might be beneficial to have this global event shared around the world to a greater degree than is being proposed. Big difference!

Old November 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4979
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:

It's not like we tell competitors they're selfish for winning more than one gold. What should Phelps have not won all those medals, was that "selfish" of him too.
Should Usain Bolt have slowed down and let the rest of the runners ca.......wait..wrong example.

Not because of Obama, but because Rahm "I gets mine" Emmanuel is going to be his chief of staff. He's as Chicago as Chicago can be, he's as machine as machine can be. He's old-school take no prisoners Chicago.

"You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get the Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?"

Ladies and gents, Richard M. Daley wants his Olympics and now he has his inside man running the day to day affairs in the White House.

The IOC is a crooked as crooked can be, with Daley at the helm, the rest of the world really never had a chance. He's the Lionel Messi of graft. Or to use another Untouchables quote, everyone else brought a knife to a gun fight.
That scary as hell , I though they would do it the natural way , it's more dignified ya know ! I hope it's from your imagination not from them !
skyboi no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #4980
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

You're amazing.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016