daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 13th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #481
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

it looks shit

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #482
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos69
Mo Rush....please be a more normal person and Stop posting big slabs of writing u found on google....its annoying just link the url and give ur opinion included in the post
its called a forum, i can say what i like
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #483
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Poll is still going on!!

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #484
legolas
I'm back!

Likes (Received): 0

Ok Mo Rush, but all you're telling it's false. Madrid has a very good technical bid (perhaps the best). no one (even british newspapers) can't say another think about it.
From now, I'll ignore all your post, because are all fanatic comments
legolas no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #485
lyonsdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas
Madrid has a very good technical bid (perhaps the best). no one (even british newspapers) can't say another think about it.
That's what MoRush's post said or did you not bother to read it and just post your flaming comments anyway. ****!
lyonsdown no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #486
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

It was a positive post legolas, and a positive article from the British press, and i do like it when the articles are posted in the thread like mo rush did, i hate bouncing around through windows.

Thanks mo rush.
Munch no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #487
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
It was a positive post legolas, and a positive article from the British press, and i do like it when the articles are posted in the thread like mo rush did, i hate bouncing around through windows.

Thanks mo rush.
Legolas i could laugh and say "in your face" but i will not i will see it as an honest mistake on your behalf and continue happy foruming just next time read the article im not out to damage madrids image, i will post all new articles related to the bid if memebers want me to
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #488
Mo Rush

Good news - Olympic chiefs visit London. Bad news - they'll be travelling by Tube
It's crunch week for London's bid to host the 2012 Games. Jonathan Thompson and Andrew Johnson report

13 February 2005

Senior government ministers and British sporting heroes will be on hand to extol the capital's virtues when the 12-member International Olympic Committee (IOC) team visits this week to assess the London 2012 bid.

Although much of their four-day visit is expected to be spent in the exclusive Four Seasons Hotel in Canary Wharf grilling bid organisers in question and answer sessions, the evaluation commission will spend one day visiting London's proposed venues - and will take a trip on the Tube. It could prove a costly journey.

London 2012 organisers, who have spent up to £20m on the project, have pencilled in trips to the proposed sites, including the planned stadium at Stratford, the Millennium Dome at Greenwich and the ExCel centre in Docklands.

However, the commission can insist on being taken anywhere, including the new Wembley stadium, which will host the football, or to the archery venue at Lord's, or even to Wimbledon or Hackney.

Earlier this month, the Madrid bid suffered a setback over lack of accommodation, which was criticised by IOC members. Will transport prove London's Achilles heel? On Friday The Independent on Sunday sent four reporters on various journeys across London to put the transport infrastructure to the test.

Journey 1: Canary Wharf to Wembley

A simple trip that became an odyssey

A metallic voice on the Canary Wharf station intercom informed a packed Tube that the Jubilee line was down. A simple direct trip, 18 stops on the same train, was about to turn into a two-and-a-half-hour odyssey. Seeking "alternative routes", the crowd moved towards the nearby Docklands Light Railway, where the first four trains were too full for any more passengers. Squeezing on to the fifth was an angry, undignified scramble.

Next was the Central line, then a switch to the Metropolitan, and finally a wet Wembley. Something of an own goal.

Journey time: Two-and-a-half hours, one way.

Journey 2: Canary Wharf to Lord's

'A magical mystery tour of London lines'

This trip seemed a simple one. Hop on the Jubilee line at Canary Wharf and hop off 10 stops down the line at St John's Wood. Simple, if it were not for the chaotic transport infrastructure. Severe problems on the Jubilee line meant we had to take the Docklands Light Railway instead. Forced to use a combination of the Jubilee, Metropolitan and Hammersmith and City lines, the journey to the cricket ground at Lord's took the best part of two hours. Four trains were missed due to crowding and the journey turned into a magical mystery tour of London stations and lines.

Journey time: One hour 55 minutes, one way.

Journey 3: Canary Wharf to Wimbledon

How 12 miles turned into an 80-minute epic

It's 12 miles from the Four Seasons Hotel in Canary Wharf to the All England Tennis Club in Wimbledon, but on London's rickety District line, it's an uncomfortable 80-minute mission. First you take the Docklands Light Railway, then the District line from Bank/Monument. There are 20 stops, and passengers may have to change at Earl's Court as there are various branches on the line. There were no seats and should the IOC team go to see the tennis facilities by Tube next week, they could find their noses squashed against the glass, and perhaps expect a few bruised ribs.

Journey time: One hour 20 minutes, one way.

Journey 4: Canary Wharf to Hackney Wick

Driver of a late train stopped for a chat

To travel from Canary Wharf to the new international station at St Pancras is an easy trip via the DLR and Northern line. But the money has yet to be released to complete the station from where Olympic visitors will be able to catch the express service to the Olympic village at Stratford. And to get to Hackney Wick, the site of the proposed basketball arena, they would have to take the Tube to Highbury & Islington and then take a Silverlink train. On the way back they might find theirtrain, already delayed by 15 minutes, stopping between stations while the driver chats to the driver of a train going in the opposite direction.

Journey time: Two hours, round trip.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #489
Munch

i don't understand all these great big disasters, i use the tube all the time, and not once have i suffered a major setback. Maybe i am just lucky.
Munch no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #490
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6364

What do you expect? Usual British reporting casting anything negative.

To go from Canary Wharf to Wimbledon get off at Waterloo and get the mainline.

The journeys the IOC do will be during the day, not during rush hour. So I really doubt trains will be 'full'.
DarJoLe no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #491
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Why are the British so harsh on themselves? They've got fantastic economic performance, low unemployment, and other very positive indicators that are in the envy of not only the other EU nations, but the world in general. All I hear is about how the public transport sucks and no one can buy a home. These are problems that are not unique to the UK! Sure, you can talk about these problems, but all I read is constant bitching about the relatively minor problems facing the country. Chin up mates!
DonQui no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #492
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Why are the British so harsh on themselves? They've got fantastic economic performance, low unemployment, and other very positive indicators that are in the envy of not only the other EU nations, but the world in general. All I hear is about how the public transport sucks and no one can buy a home. These are problems that are not unique to the UK! Sure, you can talk about these problems, but all I read is constant bitching about the relatively minor problems facing the country. Chin up mates!
Its a national disease, aussies call us whinging poms. We are on the whole very hard to please. But also our media tends to always look for the negative, and say even the BBC when presenting a story they do a plus and a minus angle to everything.
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #493
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Its a national disease, aussies call us whinging poms. We are on the whole very hard to please. But also our media tends to always look for the negative, and say even the BBC when presenting a story they do a plus and a minus angle to everything.
What does "whinging poms" translate to in the English spoken across the pond?
DonQui no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #494
Munch

delete
Munch no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #495
Munch

whinging= whinging
poms = brits (or whatever you call us over there)

It is a very British thing, it serves a general purpose, but teh media push it to the pessimistic extreme. They make it seem painfully poor relative to the rest of the world, although they dont always say that, that is the impression they give off. It so much better elsewhere................

However, if we were not so critical and hard to please there is a possibility that standards in some areas would be lower and we would be generally worse off. Alternatively, it could inspire great pessimism to the point where it's considered pointless, if you know what i mean!
Munch no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #496
jqubb
Terrell Owens teehee

Warsaw! hahaah jk
jqubb no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #497
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

London
Paris
Madrid
NY
Moscow
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #498
Mo Rush

LONDON 2012 - ITS TIME!!

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52213780.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=1562F455D739C8E68E7DD28C9C4239A4A9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52213768.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=1562F455D739C8E67D26EB667AF3FDFFA9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52213754.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=1562F455D739C8E6311CE57DF55E3728A9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52209879.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C31CA8177AA01A470BF6F0F66AF74C54A9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52209836.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C31CA8177AA01A47BDF119C9A3DB701BA9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52205574.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=1562F455D739C8E6AF1D6DCC2BEAEF1FA9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52209824.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C31CA8177AA01A4799928962F9395DDFA9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/52209828.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C31CA8177AA01A47D970F71075ECDFAFA9C30E9B9B114CE8[/IMG]

BRING THE GAMES TO LONDON,
LONDON 2012 - SPORT AT HEART

Last edited by Mo Rush; February 20th, 2005 at 10:27 AM.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:01 PM   #499
legolas
I'm back!

How was the visit?? Here, in Spain some news say people in GB dislike London bid and IOC people aren't so happy as in Madrid was. Here, people say the fight is between Paris and Madrid. (I hope. Less competitors)
legolas no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:59 PM   #500
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas
How was the visit?? Here, in Spain some news say people in GB dislike London bid and IOC people aren't so happy as in Madrid was. Here, people say the fight is between Paris and Madrid. (I hope. Less competitors)
london 2012 cause i got that feeling things havent even started to get heated yet
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016