daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #4981
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I think that any country that pumps as much money into the IOC as the USA does would have a reasonable expectation to host the Summer Games about every dozen years.
Basincreek no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #4982
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...v=ap&type=lgns

Baseball, softball make case for 2016 Olympics

By GRAHAM DUNBAR, Associated Press Writer

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP)—Baseball made its pitch for reinstatement in the Olympics on Friday, one the seven sports fighting for two spots on the program for the 2016 Summer Games.

A team of six, led by International Baseball Federation president Harvey Schiller and featuring Detroit Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson, spent an hour putting their case to an IOC panel.

Schiller said the one-hour presentation to the program commission at the International Olympic Committee headquarters went well.

“I thought everybody was smiling,” said Schiller, a former Turner Sports and YankeeNets executive.

Softball, golf, karate, rugby, roller sports and squash also made hour-long, closed-door presentations to the IOC program commission.

The 16-member panel will deliver an influential report to the IOC’s top decision-making body before a vote next year in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Schiller said the baseball delegation was asked if it could deliver major league players to a 16-team Olympic tournament in August 2016.

“We’re committed to bringing the best players ever to the Olympic baseball tournament,” he said. “We talked about our advances in drug testing. We have an agreement with the professional leagues in terms of out-of-competition testing for the events we sanction.”

Each sport must host an IOC delegation to observe an event, and baseball has invited officials to attend the World Baseball Classic finals in Los Angeles next March.

The seven sports were rejected for the 2012 London Games in voting by more than 100 IOC members three years ago. Baseball and softball were dropped, while the other five failed to gather enough support for inclusion.

The IOC wants the candidates to demonstrate they have a worldwide audience and appeal to young people.

International Softball Federation president Don Porter said his sport’s chances might have been helped when U.S. dominance ended when the Americans lost to Japan in the gold medal game in Beijing. The Americans had won three straight gold medals since the sport was introduced at the 1996 Atlanta Games.

“More countries are getting to be more competitive and we’re working toward that,” he said. “We have got a lot of work to do and change is coming. We’re doing what we need to make our sport exciting, interesting and available.”

PGA executive Ty Votaw and Peter Dawson of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Scotland made a golf presentation that included video messages from Tiger Woods and Lorena Ochoa.

They brought the trophy presented the last time the sport was played at the Olympics in 1904.

Votaw said golf’s strong points were “speaking with one voice, bringing top players, and worldwide participation,” with the sport televised in 216 countries each week.

“We would be able to promote golf in the Olympics and the Olympic movement across that platform every single week,” Votaw said. “I think it was favorably received.”

Golf’s Olympic proposal is for 60-player men’s and women’s tournaments, one in each week of the Olympics. It has not been decided if the events would be stroke or match play.

Votaw said an IOC observer team could be invited to attend the Masters tournament at Augusta, Ga.

World Karate Federation president Antonio Espinos flew in from the world championships in Tokyo. He said karate had 180 national federations and values of fairness and discipline.

Rugby fell from the Olympic program in 1924 and wants to come back with the seven-side, shorter version of the game for men and women.

International Rugby Board chief executive Mike Miller said the sport was a proven success at the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games, and was being added to the Pan-American and African Games schedules.

The International Federation for Roller Sports proposes road races on city streets for men and women.

The World Squash Federation hopes that television-friendly, glass-enclosed courts can counter the sport’s reputation as one that struggles to translate the speed of play to viewers.

The program commission, which is chaired by Italian Franco Carraro, will present a report to the IOC executive board. The board meets next June to make recommendations to the full IOC membership. A simple majority is needed for a sport to be voted onto the program.

The IOC also will select the 2016 host city during the Copenhagen session in October. The candidates are Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo.

Old November 15th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #4983
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

hopefully baseball and golf make it back, especially golf
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #4984
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I think that any country that pumps as much money into the IOC as the USA does would have a reasonable expectation to host the Summer Games about every dozen years.
Agreed!
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4985
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Rio, a new and fantastic place for the games!

Rio 2016 commits to key social program of 2012 London Games:

"I cannot publicly support any Candidate City, but I was very impressed with what I saw during this visit. Rio de Janeiro is certainly capable of holding the Olympic Games" she said.
Minister for the 2012 Olympics Games.

The ninth international prize awarded for the 2007 Rio opening ceremony:

“This prize is one more way of remembering the magnificent opening ceremony of the 2007 Games, and it recognizes the quality with which the Games were organized. This stimulates us to work even harder on Rio de Janeiro’s bid to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Should Rio be chosen in October 2009 as Host City, we will show the world another great spectacle based on the richness and diversity of our culture”
This is the ninth international prize awarded for the 2007 Rio opening ceremony.

The ceremony Rio 2007 ( photos - site bid Rio 2016 ) :

The 2004 Athens Olympic Torch Relay ( in Rio de Janeiro ), is considered the best. 1 million people and a giant party!

RIO 2016!
A new continent for the games.

Last edited by Cauê; November 16th, 2008 at 04:22 AM.
Cauê no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:46 AM   #4986
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5223

Obama sends message supporting Chicago Olympic bid
Chicago presented its 2016 Olympics bid to a key international audience Friday with a powerful endorsement from its highest-profile supporter in America: President-elect Barack Obama.

Obama made a personal appeal for the Olympics to come to his home city in a taped video message played to the general assembly of European Olympic Committees, the largest regional group in the Olympic movement.
Article Controls

"The United States would be honored to have the opportunity to host the games and serve the Olympic movement," said Obama, wearing a dark suit and sitting at a desk in his Chicago transition office. "As president-elect, I see the Olympics and Paralympic Games as an opportunity for our nation to reach out, welcome the world to our shores and strengthen our friendships across the globe."

Obama, who lives a few blocks from Chicago's proposed 2016 Olympic stadium, offers a potential major boost for the city's chances of taking the Summer Games back to the United States for the first time since the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Chicago is competing against Madrid, Tokyo and Rio de Janeiro, which also made presentations Friday to the European body. The International Olympic Committee will vote on the host city Oct. 2 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

"I deeply believe in the Olympic mission and have long supported hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in my home city of Chicago," Obama said in the 90-minute spot. "Over the past two years, I have spoken often about my belief that while we may come from different places and backgrounds, there are certain shared values that unite us, values at the heart of the Olympic movement: friendship, excellence and mutual respect."

Obama went out of his way to appeal to the international audience, which included up to two dozen voting IOC members.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/...ap5729524.html

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM   #4987
Cauê

The truth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrysxy View Post
"The United States would be honored to have the opportunity to host the games and serve the Olympic movement for 4th time" said Obama, wearing a dark suit and sitting at a desk in his Chicago transition office. "As president-elect, I see the Olympics and Paralympic Games as an opportunity for our nation to reach out, welcome the world to our shores and strengthen our friendships across the globe."

Last edited by Cauê; November 22nd, 2008 at 03:51 AM.
Cauê no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:49 AM   #4988
Cauê

Rio 2016 wins applause in Europe
Governor Sérgio Cabral and Janeth participate in bid presentation at meeting of European Olympic Committees

Rio de Janeiro’s bid to host the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games warmed up the chilly October weather in Istanbul. With a vibrant, technically-detailed presentation, the Rio 2016 commission received applause at the general assembly of the European Olympic Committees, which began today. The Brazilian presentation was led by Rio 2016 president, Carlos Arthur Nuzman and Secretary General, Carlos Roberto Osório, and also featured the governor of Rio, Sérgio Cabral, the mayor-elect, Eduardo Paes, and Janeth, double Olympic basketball medalist (silver in Atlanta 96 and bronze in Sydney 2000). The Ministry of Sport’s Djan Madruga, and the State Secretary for Tourism, Sport and Leisure, Márcia Lins, also took part in the event.

This was Rio 2016’s third official presentation. In October, Rio’s vision for the Games was presented to the Pan American Sports Organization and Olympic Council of Asia.
“We have learned a lot from our colleagues in the Olympic Movement in recent years. During this important presentation, we showed that no city is more passionate about sport and keen to host the 2016 Olympic Games than Rio de Janeiro. Staging this event would be a great honor not only for Brazil, but for the whole of South America,” said Nuzman, who opened the presentation.

Governor Cabral noted the federal, state and municipal governments’ united support for Rio 2016. “In 2007, all levels of government worked together to hold the best ever Pan American Games. We built beautiful sports venues, we created a unified command structure and learned a lot. Now, we understand the details that make the difference and we will hold an exceptional edition of the Olympic Games,” pledged Cabral.

World basketball champion in 1994, Janeth made an emotional speech which touched representatives of the 49 countries that participated in the assembly. “During my career, I had the opportunity to compete in four Olympic Games. I wouldn’t change this for anything, except for the chance to witness this emotion again in Rio de Janeiro.”

The presentation in Istanbul set out Rio 2016’s main points in areas such as transport, sports venues and security. Osório presented figures on the Brazilian economy and significant facts for the country’s development, such as the recent massive oil discoveries. “This information sometimes surprises. The World Bank forecasts that, by 2016, Brazil will be the fifth biggest economy in the world. We are also a young country, with 65 million people under 18, and the Rio 2016 Games would connect the Olympic Movement to a new public,” he said.

The International Olympic Committee will select the Host City of the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games on 2 October 2009. Competing against Rio de Janeiro are Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.

A new public
Cauê no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM   #4989
theespecialone

i hope rio wins
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #4990
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4643

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
I would love for Chicago to get it. But I think it's going to Rio.
Brazil will host FIFA WC 2014 and won't be able to host OG 2 years later.
Chiocago will get it in 2016 and Tokyo in 2020.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4991
Cauê

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post

Yes, we can
Rio for 2016!
Cauê no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4992
Yrmom247
Parabolic

It's most likely going to Tokyo. They have the best bid. Even though I would love for it to go to Chicago.
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4993
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
The FIFA WC 2014 just makes everything easier, not harder
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4994
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
It's possible for Rio to be awarded the OG. If you look back USA 1994 FIFA and Atlanta 1996 same country 2 years apart.
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #4995
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYofDREAMS View Post
It's possible for Rio to be awarded the OG. If you look back USA 1994 FIFA and Atlanta 1996 same country 2 years apart.
Brazil is not the USA.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #4996
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Exactly. Very succinctly put Mo.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #4997
xednanx

Likes (Received): 1

I really don't care if it is too soon for another asian or european country to host the olympic games. Japan & Spain have a lot of differences from China and UK inspite of being near and of the same continent.
xednanx no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4998
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Exactly. Very succinctly put Mo.
im good at that.

twickenham.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4999
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by xednanx View Post
I really don't care if it is too soon for another asian or european country to host the olympic games. Japan & Spain have a lot of differences from China and UK inspite of being near and of the same continent.
they also have the most technically outstanding bids in the history of bidding.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #5000
Cauê

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Brazil is not the USA.
The argument arrogant "Brazil is not the USA ...
Yes, Brazil is not the USA. Brazil is the country with the largest economy in Latin America and in 2016, probably the 5th largest economy in the world.
Brazil, a new country for the games. Arrogance? No. I prefer the new.

Cauê no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016