daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #5041
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

I like Tokyo's bid aside from using one of the few green spaces in Tokyo for the stadium. Tokyo Stadium, though new, is scandalous -- it's set up like an athletics stadium with one glaring exception, it has no track, just empty space! The plan should have torn it down for a new stadium. Though Chofu probably isn't as desirable as the waterfront.

I don't like Chicago's stadium. I understand the reasoning though.

I wish Rio could win, it would put the games in a new place, but it seems unlikely.

I don't think Madrid has a shot, though they presented a decent bid.

Chicago will probably win.
Bobby3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5042
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

You have to remember though, in previous bids, the renders shown at this stage very rarely turn out to be the final product and are more of a placeholder than much else. For example, I believe that in the official bid book there was no Birds Nest stadium for Beijing. The olympic village and stadium for London have also changed from what was proposed at this stage of the bid.

BUT, from the renders we have seen. I think the Olympic Village for Chicago is the best looking one, with the typical city street grid and retail on the 1st floor, it will be much more like a normal neighborhood after the games. The other venues for Chicago leave a lot to be desired, but from what I have read that is somewhat intentional. They want the city and skyline to be showcased, not the venue itself. I guess that's a way of saving money by using what is already available. Maybe the IOC will like it maybe not. We will see.

As far as the other cities go. Madrid has some really nice venues based on the current renders, as does Rio. I haven't seen much from Tokyo so I can't comment.

All in all, as an American and will hopefully be living in Chicago by 2016, I have to support Chicago. I do hope that some of the venues are spiced up a bit if the city is selected, and the mass transit system needs some major upgrades.
Kngkyle no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5043
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Chicago's bid book is excellent. It really integrates the city and its neighbourhoods with the Games. Rio has produced a quality bid but transport will be more important to focus on.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5044
LaDyMaRTa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Madrid 2016
LaDyMaRTa no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #5045
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

The Rio accommodation section is a bit weak.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5046
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6234

I voted Tokyo, it has the best bid. But I think at the last hurdle Rio is going to pip it into 2nd place - Rio has the fabulous setting as an x factor, and an excess of soul, vibrancy and the human touch that leave the others looking a bit sterile in comparison. The IOC will take a chance on the crime, hopefully reduced by 2016, and aim for the infrastructure to become heavily improved - both these changes put into motion precisely because of the win.

They can't vote all the time for the safest or most polished bid, the recent trend has been to take a chance (Beijing for example) and to use the Olympics as a positive change to the hosts whether economically or politically. In short Rio/ Brazil/ South America stands to gain the most out of any of the the other regional bids - backed up by the fact its a damn good bid too.
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora  
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5047
likasz

Likes (Received): 41

In Chicago is more than 1,000000 Poles but Madrid bid looks a little better

It's hard to decide
likasz no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #5048
Fischer

Likes (Received): 1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
I like Tokyo's bid aside from using one of the few green spaces in Tokyo for the stadium. Tokyo Stadium, though new, is scandalous -- it's set up like an athletics stadium with one glaring exception, it has no track, just empty space! The plan should have torn it down for a new stadium. Though Chofu probably isn't as desirable as the waterfront.

I don't like Chicago's stadium. I understand the reasoning though.

I wish Rio could win, it would put the games in a new place, but it seems unlikely.

I don't think Madrid has a shot, though they presented a decent bid.

Chicago will probably win.

Why Rio is unlikely?? Rio present a very beatiful bid, and the city is amazing. I voted for Rio.
Fischer no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5049
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post

really like that stadium idea, sunk into the landscape!
jerseyboi no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #5050
Príncipe
um príncipe de araque

Likes (Received): 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post
Why Rio is unlikely?? Rio present a very beatiful bid, and the city is amazing. I voted for Rio.
Rio has many known failures , accomodation and its transport system are a couple of them . The city as of now is the 'dark horse' of the race , as it is Madrid also. The favourites are Chicago and Tokyo, but of course this could change until October.

Last edited by Príncipe; February 15th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Príncipe no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #5051
dcardoso
Monster User

Likes (Received): 77

Rio, without doubts
dcardoso no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5052
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

I really hope Chicago wins, it is such a beautiful city. Not just the skyscrapers but the parks and landscape around the city, where many of its venues are going to be. It would great to show the world, I think few outsiders know how unique Chicago actually is. It's my favorite large city in the US (although I live in that part of the country so I'm a little biased). I say Chicago all the way!

(please note people that all the renderings are speculative, an architect will not actually be brought in unless Chicago wins, so don't judge the look of the venues right now, including the Olympic stadium)
Onn no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #5053
IvoneiaAndrade
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Madrid 6/10
IvoneiaAndrade no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #5054
LaDyMaRTa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

what's the meaning of 6/10 , 2/4 etc..
I don't know
LaDyMaRTa no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5055
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I like Madrid's venues but I don't really care for much else. There is just something that doesn't do much for having a landlocked games. The vistas and camera shots of both Chicago and Rio are excellent and potentially the best ever (Rio especially).

While the venues Chicago has to built are the worst and Rio's are rather average. Usually cities put forth their best ideas of what venues will look like and then often dumb down their plans once selected. It seems for some of Chicago's venues the proclamation is "the minimum is what we guarantee" and we may work up. Hopefully some of the venues would be spruced up a bit.
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5056
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

I would love to have Rio win!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5057
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Rio's venues are outstanding, but Chicago's village is even better!
skobabe8 no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #5058
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

madrid can't win, 3 consecutive olympic games in europe are impossible.

so, madrid will be the first to be eliminated.

among rio, chicago and tokyo will be a tough race!!!
every of these 3 cities can win. I hope Tokyo but i think Chicago
dacrio no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5059
Fischer

Likes (Received): 1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Príncipe View Post
Rio has many known failures , accomodation and its transport system are a couple of them . The city as of now is the 'dark horse' of the race , as it is Madrid also. The favourites are Chicago and Tokyo, but off course this could change until October.
Rio will invest US$ 11,6 bilion in infrastructure and security against US$ 1 bilion in Chicago, US$ 3,4 bilion in Madrid and US$ 3,5 bilion in Tokyo.
Fischer no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #5060
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post
Rio will invest US$ 11,6 bilion in infrastructure and security against US$ 1 bilion in Chicago, US$ 3,4 bilion in Madrid and US$ 3,5 bilion in Tokyo.
rio represents a risk, and then there are few south american ioc members.
dacrio no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016