daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5161
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Wow Chicago has by far the best bid. I can't wait 'till October.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5162
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

WOW!!! Many renderings I never seen it before!!! If Chicago wins this bid and it may be one of best Olympic complexes ever built.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM   #5163
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Rio 2016 Video:

The venues, olympic stadium, maracanã stadium, arenas, the Christ the Redeemer... scenaRIOs for 2016.
Cauê no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5164
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

My order of priority:

1) Rio (I think there has to be some balance, it is wrong that only the best and the richest can organize the Olympics; cause we will end up in a situation where just a few will be organizing the Olympics again and again)

2) Madrid (I am European, after all )

3) Chicago (a great master plan, maybe the best of all)

4) Tokyo
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5165
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

As a Chicagoan I obviously am biased and would love to see my city host. I have felt for a number of years, even before the bids began, that Rio would make an amazing host for the games. If there is any city other then Chicago to get them it would perhaps be Rio. I just am hoping that they can get a 2020 bid.

All the cities have great points and could put on a good games but the only one I would be a miffed about hosting is Madrid. Madrid is as unique and exciting as the other three. However I associate much of the Olympics with the water both for the vista shots and for the events and there is not much landlocked Madrid can offer there. Also the four years after London work against it and I think it would be nice to see the next major western European nation to host a games be one who hasn't hosted as recently as Spain such as Germany, France, or Italy.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5166
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

The Chicago bid looks pretty boring... nothing spectacular at all. I guess the city is a very "safe" option for the IOC.

Rio really should win. Brasil has a huge economy and is developing rapidly, so I don't think money would be the problem people are making it out to be. Plus what country doesn't like Brasil? Everyone loves Brasilians. They've got rhythm and are sexy.

I'm down with Brasil!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #5167
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

rowing adjacent to the cbd is not spectacular?a lakefront venue for tennis not spectacular? an olympic village with its own beach not spectacular? parks for venues, skyscraper backdrop..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5168
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Sure the back drop is nice looking enough, but the architecture is totally uninspired and bland. The renders seem half-arsed, surely they could have made them look a bit more spectacular to ignite the imagination rather than just pump out something mediocre. Even though the designs used now most likely won't be the actual designs (should Chicago win), the least they could have done is put some thought in like London did (with the muscle-like stadium).
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM   #5169
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Sure the back drop is nice looking enough, but the architecture is totally uninspired and bland. The renders seem half-arsed, surely they could have made them look a bit more spectacular to ignite the imagination rather than just pump out something mediocre. Even though the designs used now most likely won't be the actual designs (should Chicago win), the least they could have done is put some thought in like London did (with the muscle-like stadium).
The renders are renders. Nothing else. I love renders and some of these are really just filling the space and could have been very much like London with dramatic conceptual structures. Chicago just chose to keep it simple and add the frills once the bid is won. Which IMO is a risk. A bid phase should really be all about selling yourself and I've repeated many times that the Olympic stadium render doesn't help.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM   #5170
RobH

Likes (Received): 10332

The trouble with discussing these bids on an architecture forum is people will (and have) put too much emphasis on venue aesthetics. That will be a secondary concern to the IOC, most of whom will recognise renders are only placeholders anyway.

I also take isse with the idea that Chicago's bid is uninteresting. It's the equivilent to London building its stadium and aquatics centre in Hyde Park. It's all right there, in the city centre YET it still has that park feel to it that the best games do. It's a wonderful concept - the best of both worlds in many ways. And the rowing on the lakefront with the skyscrapers in the background. And medal ceremonies and culturual events in another park. And having events on the island (I forget its name). All wonderful ideas..

Another point I forgot to mention re: Rio. I don't like the idea of having the ceremonies (and thefore the flame) at a different stadium to the track and field. That doesn't sit right with me, even if it does mean you sell more tickets to the OC. I don't like the idea of track and field athletes not competing under the flame, which is what Rio is proposing.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #5171
JP_Neptune
Glory to Chairman Meow!

Likes (Received): 3

Well, I voted for Tokyo, since it's currently the bid with the highest rating and I believe a city that is hosting the Olympics should work for them.

"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."
JP_Neptune no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5172
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

An Olympic effort by stars ; Bid for 2016 Games helped by big names
30 July 2009
The Boston Globe

It's been 105 years since the Olympic Games raised the flag for a gold medalist in golf, but if the game's biggest names can help sway a small number of decision-makers, then golf might be back on the grandest of global sports stages, as early as 2016.

Golf is one of seven sports vying for two open spots at the 2016 Summer Games, along with baseball, softball, karate, squash, roller sports, and rugby sevens. On Aug. 13, the 15-member executive board of the International Olympic Committee will recommend the two sports to be added - a full IOC vote later will make it official.

In its bid for inclusion, golf has pulled out all the stops, with the help of the sport's top organizations and brightest stars. The PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, US Golf Association, R&A, and Augusta National Golf Club are some of the groups that have helped form the International Golf Federation. The IGF made its official presentation to the IOC executive board last month that included a 4 1/2-minute video featuring top players, past and present, speaking on how important it would be for golf to be part of the Olympics. Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Anthony Kim, and Paula Creamer were featured Americans. But because this decision takes into account golf's global standing, appeal, and possibilities, the video also included, among others, Annika Sorenstam of Sweden, Ernie Els of South Africa, Camilo Villegas of Colombia, Lorena Ochoa of Mexico, Karrie Webb of Australia, Sergio Garcia of Spain, Mike Weir of Canada, and K.J. Choi of South Korea.

"One of the things I wish I had the chance to do was to represent my country and compete for a gold medal in the Olympic Games," Nicklaus says in the video. "The growth of the game in countries we have not seen in golf would be tremendous: China, India, Russia . . . It would give a real push to really grow the game."

Woods touted golf's responsibility in getting more youth involved with the game, something the IOC likely will consider when making its recommendation, since a sport's universal appeal among people of all ages, male and female, could be a deciding factor.

One big positive for golf is the interest coming from the world's best players and the possibility they will compete. Baseball has been part of 12 Olympic Games, but only five times as an official sport, starting in 1992. But the top major leaguers never were allowed to play, since Major League Baseball has little interest in disrupting its season in July and August. The US teams have been filled with college players and obscure minor leaguers.

But golf wouldn't have much trouble clearing its schedules to free up the world's best men and women. It also helps that golf in the Olympics could be held in a short window. A few practice rounds, followed by four days of 18-hole stroke play, and competitors could come and go in a week's time.

Another plus for golf is infrastructure: Expensive venues, in all likelihood, would have to be built for the other six candidates. The golf competition, however, would likely be contested on a course that already exists. If the IOC is concerned about the number of athletes, golf wouldn't be bringing many; the IGF's proposal calls for a field of 60 players for each tournament.

One drawback: The Olympics, while prestigious, would still probably rank lower than golf's major tournaments that have been around for decades or, in the case of the British Open, since 1860. If the IOC wants to add sports where the Olympics would be the unquestioned competitive summit, then golf might not get selected. The players, though, were quick to say how meaningful golf in the Olympics would be to them.

"As an athlete, the Olympics are everything," said Ochoa, the top- ranked woman. "[The Olympics are] all about values, and that's reflected in the game of golf."

Garcia and Mickelson shared that theme, pointing to many of golf's traits - honesty, integrity, sportsmanship - and how those fit perfectly into the Olympic spirit.

Said Els, "For me to compete in the Olympics would be an absolute dream come true."

Having so many established golf icons around the world coming together and pushing for golf to be selected can't hurt. But each of the seven sports made passionate pleas.

Golf has a strong case, with recognizable athletes doing their best sales job. In a sport with a long history and well-known past champions, perhaps Woods, Els, Garcia, and Mickelson go to bed at night dreaming about becoming the next George Seymour Lyon. He was the unlikely Canadian cricketer who, despite taking up golf at age 38, shot qualifying rounds of 85-84 to advance to match play, then slogged through five 36-hole matches at the Glen Echo Country Club in St. Louis to become the 1904 Olympic Games golf champion.

Will he be the last?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5173
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
rowing adjacent to the cbd is not spectacular?a lakefront venue for tennis not spectacular? an olympic village with its own beach not spectacular? parks for venues, skyscraper backdrop..
You have a photo of the beach in chicago for athletes in 2016? I love the idea. Rio offers a beach, too.

The Rio 2016 beach:

And, the park for athletes:

Rio offers a "Carioca Street" for the athletes, too. Is in the dramatic video of the city.
And, the skyscrapers of Rio are the mountains of the city.
Chicago and Rio offer beautiful and different scenarios. But, in Rio are scenaRIOs HEHE

Last edited by Cauê; August 3rd, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Cauê no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5174
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Rio seems to be recycling many of the their venues from their 2007 pan american games
mattec no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #5175
danVan

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Rio seems to be recycling many of the their venues from their 2007 pan american games
I thought that was actually a point in favor of the rio bid, not spending a lot of money to build venues you already have.
danVan no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #5176
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Wow Chicago has by far the best bid. I can't wait 'till October.
Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Funny how you've JUST described Rio's bid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Another point I forgot to mention re: Rio. I don't like the idea of having the ceremonies (and thefore the flame) at a different stadium to the track and field. That doesn't sit right with me, even if it does mean you sell more tickets to the OC. I don't like the idea of track and field athletes not competing under the flame, which is what Rio is proposing.
For the record: between the ceremonies, the torch would be transported to it's sitting at the track & field stadium for the whole games, 'til the closing ceremony. It is possible, and not too unpractical at all, since they're sepparated only by 1 mile or so.

And if necessary, Rio's bid made very clear that they could extend Engenhão (track & field stadium) to an 80.000 or so capacity in order for the ceremonies to take place over there, or even, in a last case, to build a new olympic stadium in the Olympic Park.

That's no obstacle at all.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #5177
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Ok if its the chicago olympics why is the football games held outside chicago i dont mind wisconson but all the way to d.c , l.a , minnesota, nyc and philly i dont get it..

But i am rooting for rio to win it....america last hosted it in 1996 lets give another continent a chance....just like fifa gave africa a chance to host the 2010 fifa world cup.....go rio go
DennisRodman97 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5178
Mo Rush

because its the norm to use venues outside the city for football.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5179
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauê View Post
Rio 2016 Video:

The venues, olympic stadium, maracanã stadium, arenas, the Christ the Redeemer... scenaRIOs for 2016.

This video is indeed breathtaking. Everyone should see it.
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5180
Mo Rush

I've watched it probably 61 times over the last 2 weeks.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016