daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #5201
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
How good is the transportation in Rio? If they win, are they going to build subway lines?
Has a great metro system in the downtown and south zone (richest area) and many suburban lines that attend some of the far venues like deodoro. The problem is the new west district barra da tijuca that is far from the rest of the city separeted by huge mountains and forest. It´s linked only by 3 freeways, but with huge traffic. The less critical one is the freeway called "yellow line" but this line is a little far from the downtown and dangerous cause cross some of the dangerous areas in rio.

If Rio wins they have a project to connect Barra to South area by metro.
TEBC no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #5202
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Nice video, laughed at the, "huge crowds will come together to watch triathlon and marathon swimming".

Still want Chicago to get it though.
Why? That did happened in Panamerican Games, cause it was an event verydemocratic that everyone could enjoy without having to pay. That´s one of the biggest advantages of Rio´s bid, the population is very engaged with the games. Rio is a city that breaths sport.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5203
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

^ Interesting point, a developing country that loves sport would most definitely take on the opportunity to cheer their side at the free events.

Compare that to a developed country in which Chicago is in. You'd expect most of the locals to try and get into the paid events even if it's the cheapest seats before wanting to watch a free event.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5204
skobabe8

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
^ Interesting point, a developing country that loves sport would most definitely take on the opportunity to cheer their side at the free events.

Compare that to a developed country in which Chicago is in. You'd expect most of the locals to try and get into the paid events even if it's the cheapest seats before wanting to watch a free event.
That's a really strange expectation you have. I think its safe to say attendance at any free Olympic events in most cities will be strong, developed or non-deveolped country.
skobabe8 no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #5205
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Beijing residents lined up and paid good money for their tickets. There's an incredible amount of wealthy people. I don't recall events being free at all.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5206
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

I think we're talking about events like the marathon and road cycling here hkskyline.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #5207
abrandao
Paris, France.

Likes (Received): 3690

GO RIO!!!!!!!!!!
abrandao no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #5208
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Why? That did happened in Panamerican Games, cause it was an event verydemocratic that everyone could enjoy without having to pay. That´s one of the biggest advantages of Rio´s bid, the population is very engaged with the games. Rio is a city that breaths sport.
I'd like the games to go to south America, but the fans in Brazil were really disrespectful of athletes from other nations at the Pan American Games. 'Fans' were jeering and booing anyone who wasn't from Brazil. It was disgusting and left a huge black mark on those games. Hordes of athletes talked about how they had trained their whole lives for that moment only to be treated like a bunch of animals. None of them ever want to compete in Brazil ever again.

I bet people on the IOC took notice. An Olympics in Brazil would have been nice, but are they really going to subject international athletes to being ridiculed and insulted like that? I'd be shocked if they give Rio the green light. Rio had a chance to shine at the Pan Ams, but blew it big time.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #5209
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'd like the games to go to south America, but the fans in Brazil were really disrespectful of athletes from other nations at the Pan American Games. 'Fans' were jeering and booing anyone who wasn't from Brazil. It was disgusting and left a huge black mark on those games. Hordes of athletes talked about how they had trained their whole lives for that moment only to be treated like a bunch of animals. None of them ever want to compete in Brazil ever again.

I bet people on the IOC took notice. An Olympics in Brazil would have been nice, but are they really going to subject international athletes to being ridiculed and insulted like that? I'd be shocked if they give Rio the green light. Rio had a chance to shine at the Pan Ams, but blew it big time.
How dramatic

It really was a very unfortunate situation, but solely as an effect of the miseducated and unfamiliarized locals with the big scale sportive conduct of the audience. Nothing that a broad public campaign aiming to set a bigger awareness (which is, sort of, kinda taking place now) couldn't fix... it's not an intrinsic unchangeable characteristic in the carioca's nature, as you seem to indicate. And specially, no reason for holding the games from Rio!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #5210
legal

Likes (Received): 4146

Quote:

I think your opinion is a bit biased, blowing the situation that happened in Rio out of proportions to justify your REAL desire: that Rio would not get the Games... if that's the case, go ahead... it's your right to have a position or favorite candidate... but you are exaggerating what happened in Pan Ams and that's not fair.
www.globaltradeview.com, a forum on International Business & Travels.
www.lehighproducts.com
Study English or Intl Business in USA: www.lehighglobal.com
Organic & Specialty Food Monthly Subscription Box: www.dacostassecret.com
legal no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #5211
Gorgonzola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The jeering and booing were NOT isolated incidents like some Brazilians try classify it. They were completelly widespread and and a disgusting sign of biggotry and lack of sportsmanship.
A lot of competing teams got booed at and whats more annoying is that some Brazilian athletes were very supportive of this atitude:
http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/espor...as_941723.html
http://esportes.terra.com.br/panamer...EI8332,00.html

And then after the embarassment settled in some people tried to dismiss it as "isolated incidents" or even more pathetic, tried to insinuate that the booing was a form a protest against the Bush administration (yeah right...)

But I guess that's a typical attitude of Cariocas, they even booed the president during the opening ceremony (the same president who made sure the city got enough money from the federal government to build all the venues ).
Anyway, I do agree that the silly attitude will be a major drawback for Rio.
Gorgonzola no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #5212
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I don't want Chicago to get the bid. The people there are already so arrogant and think they shit ice cream and walk on clouds. Don't give them any more reason to have a bigger head.

Plus, the mayor is a corrupt megalomaniac who would squander most of the construction funds on bribes and kickbacks to political allies.

America is a nation in decline- let's give the games to a nation on the rise, like Brazil.
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #5213
eagleguy

Likes (Received): 44

The City of Chicago is the best, with or without the games. If you think we are in decline and as an American you can do anything to stop it, Move to Brazil and don't come back here. I just wish you Good Luck!!!!
eagleguy no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #5214
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I don't want Chicago to get the bid. The people there are already so arrogant and think they shit ice cream and walk on clouds. Don't give them any more reason to have a bigger head.

Plus, the mayor is a corrupt megalomaniac who would squander most of the construction funds on bribes and kickbacks to political allies.

America is a nation in decline- let's give the games to a nation on the rise, like Brazil.
This is not true, but you got it right in the second affirmation.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #5215
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

USOC says focus on Chicago 2016; no other cities being considered for future bids
10 August 2009

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - U.S. Olympic leaders repeated Monday that their attention is completely fixed on the quest to bring the 2016 Games to Chicago.

"Let me reiterate that position in the most adamant terms," CEO Stephanie Streeter said. "Chicago is not only our current bid city, it is our only bid city, and it is the sole focus of our efforts."

The statement came in the wake of recent reports that Pittsburgh might explore a bid for the 2020 Summer Games -- a possibility that would only exist if Chicago failed to land the 2016 Olympics.

Also, the deadline for submitting formal proposals for the 2018 Winter Olympics is in October, and cities such as Denver and Reno, Nev., have been mentioned in the past as possible candidates. Denver leaders have also said 2022 might be more realistic.

The USOC has repeatedly said it would not back 2018 bids. A city has to have the support of its Olympic federation to submit a bid. The USOC became more active in the bid process after confusion hurt New York's failed bid for the 2012 Olympics.

The International Olympic Committee will choose Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro or Tokyo to host the 2016 Olympics at its meeting in Copenhagen in October.

There are fewer than eight weeks left until the decision is made, and Streeter doesn't want other cities sharing the spotlight with Chicago.

"So, with all due respect to those cities that are dreaming about one day bidding for the Games, now is not the time," she said. "This is Chicago's time. Please join all of us at the USOC in standing with Chicago 2016. Given what they've accomplished in projecting the right image for our country, it is clear they have earned our full respect and devotion."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5216
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal View Post
I think your opinion is a bit biased, blowing the situation that happened in Rio out of proportions to justify your REAL desire: that Rio would not get the Games... if that's the case, go ahead... it's your right to have a position or favorite candidate... but you are exaggerating what happened in Pan Ams and that's not fair.
What ever dude. You shouldn't make assumptions about what people's real desire's are unless you're in possession of the facts. Do you know me? NO! It's really rude and insulting to assume people have an agenda and fabricate ideas about what that non existent agenda might be.

I shouldn't have to justify myself to you, but I will any way. I was one of the biggest boosters of Rio up until those Pan Am Games. Whether you choose to accept it or not, the poor behaviour of Brazilian 'fans' towards non-Brazilian athletes is very well documented. Go check yourself before shooting your mouth off.

Even some Brazilians on SSC felt obliged to apologize on behalf of their country men for what went on. They were beyond embarrassed. I'd suggest doing some research and digging before you insult people who are in possession of the facts. I watched the fall out of those games as it unfolded. I may not be 20 any more, but my memory is quite good, thank you very much.

No athlete should be booed while receiving a medal simply because the hosts wanted someone from their country to win. I've never seen such a despicable display in all my years watching sports. These were NOT isolated incidents either. I'd like very much for Brazil to get the Olympics, but athletes/visitors should never be treated that way. Brazil in 2016? Sorry, but they've got a heap of work to do to erase the damage that's been done in the eyes of many sports fans around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
How dramatic

It really was a very unfortunate situation, but solely as an effect of the miseducated and unfamiliarized locals with the big scale sportive conduct of the audience. Nothing that a broad public campaign aiming to set a bigger awareness (which is, sort of, kinda taking place now) couldn't fix... it's not an intrinsic unchangeable characteristic in the carioca's nature, as you seem to indicate. And specially, no reason for holding the games from Rio!
I fully appreciate that it was unfamiliarity with proper etiquette at an international sporting event and an offshoot of Brazilian soccer culture, but that's simply not good enough. It's natural that people outside of Brazil are hesitant about a Rio Olympics after what happened there at the Rio Pan Ams. Do you think people want to subject themselves to that again? I certainly wouldn't want to send my kid there to be booed after training his whole life for the Olympics. Would you?

I wish it weren't so, but this did happen. It's unfortunate, but trust has to be built back up again. That will take time.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 11th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5217
Chris00
Christian Effenberger

Likes (Received): 2990

I think it will be in good hands wherever it will go.
Chris00 no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #5218
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgonzola View Post
The jeering and booing were NOT isolated incidents like some Brazilians try classify it. They were completelly widespread and and a disgusting sign of biggotry and lack of sportsmanship.
A lot of competing teams got booed at and whats more annoying is that some Brazilian athletes were very supportive of this atitude:
http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/espor...as_941723.html
http://esportes.terra.com.br/panamer...EI8332,00.html

And then after the embarassment settled in some people tried to dismiss it as "isolated incidents" or even more pathetic, tried to insinuate that the booing was a form a protest against the Bush administration (yeah right...)

But I guess that's a typical attitude of Cariocas, they even booed the president during the opening ceremony (the same president who made sure the city got enough money from the federal government to build all the venues ).
Anyway, I do agree that the silly attitude will be a major drawback for Rio.

For crying out loud! You make it sound like that's something they ALWAYS have done, and will unvariably do for the centuries to come...

NO ONE sai it was an isolated incident within the PanAm games, we just referred that such an incident had never ocurred previously in the other several "low key" sportive events the city so oftenly hosts. Never hapenned in a Futsal Cup, nor in the Volleyball International, nor any other of significance! The PanAm were at a "differente level" for them, they just weren't prepared, THAT'S IT! You're making a huge thing out of nothing.

And btw, after such an incident, campaings have ALREADY been started to fix that ettiquete flaw by the means of a general awareness of conduct, and results have yet been seen in abbundance...

Quote:
I fully appreciate that it was unfamiliarity with proper etiquette at an international sporting event and an offshoot of Brazilian soccer culture, but that's simply not good enough. It's natural that people outside of Brazil are hesitant about a Rio Olympics after what happened there at the Rio Pan Ams. Do you think people want to subject themselves to that again? I certainly wouldn't want to send my kid there to be booed after training his whole life for the Olympics. Would you?

I wish it weren't so, but this did happen. It's unfortunate, but trust has to be built back up again. That will take time.
Don't worry, we got seven years til then...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #5219
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Quote:
What ever dude. You shouldn't make assumptions about what people's real desire's are unless you're in possession of the facts. Do you know me? NO! It's really rude and insulting to assume people have an agenda and fabricate ideas about what that non existent agenda might be.

I shouldn't have to justify myself to you, but I will any way. I was one of the biggest boosters of Rio up until those Pan Am Games. Whether you choose to accept it or not, the poor behaviour of Brazilian 'fans' towards non-Brazilian athletes is very well documented. Go check yourself before shooting your mouth off.

Even some Brazilians on SSC felt obliged to apologize on behalf of their country men for what went on. They were beyond embarrassed. I'd suggest doing some research and digging before you insult people who are in possession of the facts. I watched the fall out of those games as it unfolded. I may not be 20 any more, but my memory is quite good, thank you very much.

No athlete should be booed while receiving a medal simply because the hosts wanted someone from their country to win. I've never seen such a despicable display in all my years watching sports. These were NOT isolated incidents either. I'd like very much for Brazil to get the Olympics, but athletes/visitors should never be treated that way. Brazil in 2016? Sorry, but they've got a heap of work to do to erase the damage that's been done in the eyes of many sports fans around the world.

Not paranoid...
Cauê no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5220
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

And about the marathon, the route of Rio is a bonus to the event.

Cauê no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016