daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5221
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'd like the games to go to south America, but the fans in Brazil were really disrespectful of athletes from other nations at the Pan American Games. 'Fans' were jeering and booing anyone who wasn't from Brazil. It was disgusting and left a huge black mark on those games. Hordes of athletes talked about how they had trained their whole lives for that moment only to be treated like a bunch of animals. None of them ever want to compete in Brazil ever again.

I bet people on the IOC took notice. An Olympics in Brazil would have been nice, but are they really going to subject international athletes to being ridiculed and insulted like that? I'd be shocked if they give Rio the green light. Rio had a chance to shine at the Pan Ams, but blew it big time.

The american media made a big deal of it!! it wasnt like you were saying. I know because i went to the games and for sure some ignorant people booed but in sports that they are not familiarized, it was wrong but we, people who have more education, tried to convince them to stop it. But it was for few sports and Rio already hosted maby intl events after that without this problem. And In an olympic games the prices will be a lot more expensive and composed by many foreigners avoiding these ignorant people to act like that.
TEBC no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5222
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5223
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Likes (Received): 124

Rio 2016, then Toronto 2020!
girlicious_likeme no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5224
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
The american media made a big deal of it!! it wasnt like you were saying. I know because i went to the games and for sure some ignorant people booed but in sports that they are not familiarized, it was wrong but we, people who have more education, tried to convince them to stop it. But it was for few sports and Rio already hosted maby intl events after that without this problem. And In an olympic games the prices will be a lot more expensive and composed by many foreigners avoiding these ignorant people to act like that.
Please don't speak of things you do not know. I never saw one report on the American media about it. Perhaps there was a story or two slipped out about it but I sure as hell never saw it in order to justify claiming it was made a "big deal of".
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5225
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I don't want Chicago to get the bid. The people there are already so arrogant and think they shit ice cream and walk on clouds. Don't give them any more reason to have a bigger head.

Plus, the mayor is a corrupt megalomaniac who would squander most of the construction funds on bribes and kickbacks to political allies.

America is a nation in decline- let's give the games to a nation on the rise, like Brazil.
Wow, what a petty bitter hoosier you are. To bad your such a pill, perhaps if you weren't the peeps in Chicago would act nicer to ya.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5226
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7170

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlicious_likeme View Post
Rio 2016, then Toronto 2020!
Eh that would be perfect! But highly unlikely to happen.
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5227
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5701901.story

IOC executive board recommends golf, rugby for inclusion in 2016 Summer Games

STEPHEN WILSON
AP Sports Writer
8:39 a.m. CDT, August 13, 2009

BERLIN (AP) — International Olympic leaders selected golf and rugby Thursday for proposed inclusion in the 2016 Summer Games, rejecting bids from baseball, softball and three other sports.

The International Olympic Committee executive board narrowed the field to two from a list of seven, which also included squash, karate and roller sports.

The board will submit golf and rugby sevens — a faster-paced version of the standard 15-a-side game — for ratification by the full 106-member IOC assembly in Copenhagen in October.

The board also gave final approval to the inclusion of women's boxing in the 2012 London Olympics. Boxing had been the only summer Olympic sport without women competitors.

Leaders of the seven sports bidding to be added to the 2016 games made presentations to the IOC board in June in Lausanne, Switzerland, and continued to lobby extensively. The attributes of each sport were contained in a report by the IOC program commission which was reviewed by the board Thursday before the vote.

Golf was played at the 1900 Paris Olympics and 1904 St. Louis Games. The sport's backers say bringing the game back into the Olympics would help it develop worldwide, noting many governments only fund Olympic sports.

Tiger Woods and other top players have indicated they would play in the Olympics if golf gets the nod from the IOC.

"Golf is a truly global sport and it should have been in the Olympics a while ago," Woods said Tuesday. "If it does get in, it would be great for golf and some of the other small countries that are now emerging in golf."

Golf proposes a 72-hole stroke-play competition for men and women, with 60 players in each field. The world's top 15 players would qualify automatically, and all major professional tours would alter tournament schedules to avoid a clash with the Olympics.

Rugby, which was played in four different Olympics between 1900 and 1924 in the full 15-a-side format, proposes the 7-a-side version for both men and women. The International Rugby Board would scrap its Sevens World Cup to ensure the Olympics is the sport's top event.

Final approval of the two sports will require a simple majority vote by the full IOC in October. It's unclear whether they will be voted on individually or together.

Softball and baseball had been seeking a return after being voted off the program four years ago for the 2012 London Games. Attempted reinstatements were rejected by the IOC in 2006.

Softball, a women's event which debuted at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, has focused on spreading the sport among youth and women in the Muslim world and Africa, and staying free of doping scandals. It offered to organize a men's Olympic tournament as well if readmitted by the IOC.

Baseball — which has failed to bring top players to the Olympics due to a scheduling clash with the U.S. major leagues— offered a shortened five-day, eight-team format intended to ensure the participation of big-name stars.

In 2005, after voting to drop baseball and softball, IOC members rejected the five other sports put up for inclusion — rugby, golf, karate, squash and roller sports. At that time, approval required a two-thirds majority.

Old August 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5228
billkas
New SkyscraperCitizen

Likes (Received): 1

I think it's gonna be sth like that:

2012: Europe
2016: America [North or south, i cannot predict]
2020: Asia or Europe
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5229
Escalabitano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I agree.

2012: London
2016: Rio de Janeiro
2020: Lisbon

Escalabitano no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5230
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Chicago Olympic bid in spotlight at USOC hall of fame induction ceremony
13 August 2009

CHICAGO (AP) - Athletes being inducted into the U.S. Olympic Committee's Hall of fame walked the carpet at the induction ceremony Wednesday in Chicago, part of a final push to drum up buzz about the city's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

The spotlight on the event dimmed slightly because one of the most high-profile backers of the city's bid, basketball great Michael Jordan, didn't attend, even though the 1992 gold-medal Olympic basketball Dream Team he played on was being inducted.

The former Chicago Bull has already lent his name and support to the bid, appearing in a public service campaign, but his absence did take some of the star power out of the event meant to put the sports spotlight on Chicago.

"Everyone wants to see Michael. Being inducted into anything with Michael is a great honor for us but it's Michael, I guess that mystique is part of what makes him so appealing to everybody," said David Robinson, one of Jordan's Olympic teammates.

Chicago is looking for all the attention it can get ahead of the International Olympic Committee's decision on which city will host the 2016 Games. Chicago is a finalist along with Tokyo, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro. The IOC will meet in Copenhagen on Oct. 2 to decide.

About 3,600 people attended the USOC induction ceremony, which was also the final blowout fundraiser for local Olympic organizers and raised about $5 million. About two dozen athletes, coaches and an Olympic official were inducted including such big names as basketball greats Patrick Ewing and Scottie Pippen, track star Michael Johnson and Mike Krzyzewski, who was an assistant coach on the 1992 Dream Team.

But Jordan isn't the only big name from Chicago who local organizers are counting on to help land the games as the IOC decision nears.

President Barack Obama could be the one who helps seals the deal. The former Illinois senator has a home in Chicago just a few blocks from the park where the proposed Olympic Stadium would be built.

"Certainly it will help put the bid over the top if the president can make his presence known in Copenhagen but I think the city has covered all bases," USOC acting CEO Stephanie Streeter said.

Then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair was widely credited with helping London land the 2012 Games because he lobbied IOC members in person in the days before the decisive vote.

Streeter said U.S. Olympic officials haven't gotten word yet on whether Obama will be in Copenhagen and if he does come they likely won't know about it until the last minute.

Obama already has been a frequent and vocal supporter of the city's bid, recently appearing in a videotaped message shown to Olympic officials in Africa and forming a White House Office of Olympic, Paralympic and Youth Sport.

"Let's face it ... in many places around the world he's kind of a rock star," said Olympic gymnastics gold medalist Bart Conner, who's active in promoting Chicago's bid and attended Wednesday's event.

At this late hour in the city's bid, Conner said support from city residents also needs to be obvious.

"I think that's one of the most important things we can do is demonstrate to the IOC our city believes in the games, believes in what the Olympics stand for and will treat it right," Conner said.

But that hasn't always been so clear cut. Local Olympic officials have spent weeks holding public meetings around the city after some aldermen were critical of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley for telling the IOC he would sign a contract requiring the city to take full financial responsibility for the games.

Aldermen worried about the city's potential liability and complained they had been kept in the dark about Daley's plans.

But Daley has athletes such as Pippen behind him as he and others at the induction ceremony pledged to do what they could to keep building momentum for Chicago's bid.

"I think the mayor and his staff has done an outstanding job. Just keep cheering them on and hopefully things work out," Pippen said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #5231
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

It would make a lot of sense for baseball/softball to be reinstated if Chicago gets it, where the venues already exist. Shame.
Scba no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #5232
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Golf and Rugby Get Boost for 2016 Olympics!

The proposal for the golf at Rio is one of two clubs:

Gavea Golf Club

Itanhangá Golf Club

Cauê no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #5233
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
It would make a lot of sense for baseball/softball to be reinstated if Chicago gets it, where the venues already exist. Shame.
Yes, MLB dropped the ball by not making every accommodation they could. They will never be able to put the game on a stage internationally then they would if Chicago (with the possible exception of NYC) hosted with games at Wrigley and Comisky and if somehow Tokyo won it would also be a good stage.

I wish the IOC would let each host nation choose one or two extra sports, with IOC approval, to be included in the program.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5234
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

Bugger Chicago off USA has hosted enough olympics summer and winter and bout time for somewhere new like Rio
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #5235
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

I'm glab Rugby is being recommeded for the Olympics but isn't Rugby 7's more of a novelty game?
I know its not feasible for a 15 a side olympic competion, especially when there's a high profile WC but 7's really isn't an independent sport or one that you can play exclusively, is it?
I mean isn't 7's a tournament/festival game for first XV players and for the Fans to get shitfaced on Beer?

Could be good for the Olympics and Rugby but I can't see it being a recuitment coup.

If Rugby 7's is included for 2016, where should it be played?
If Tokyo wins, I'd say the obvious choice would be Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium.

Any guess for the others?
Ryan Field in Chicago maybe?
The capacity wouldn't have to be very high, say 20 000.
The US Rugby 7's have previouly used Petco Park, Home Depo and Sam Boyd, neither can fit proper Rugby dimensions so maybe 7's fields are not standardised or the IRB are not too concerned as it's not the elite level of the Code.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 14th, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5236
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Around Chicago I supposed it could be played at the new Olympic, Ryan Field, Soldier Field, Toyota Park. Not sure how easily rugby field dimensions will fit be accommodated for those revenues though.

Also I read that the baseball stadiums may host the rugby games. That to me would seem the oddest fit though especially since the games would have to be retrofitted during the middle of the baseball season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty78 View Post
Bugger Chicago off USA has hosted enough Olympics summer and winter and bout time for somewhere new like Rio
Then Australia being a relatively small country and already having hosted twice shouldn't host again for another 150 years.

Last edited by nomarandlee; August 14th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5237
Carlos Teixeira

Likes (Received): 101

Go RIOOOOOO!!!!!!
Carlos Teixeira no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #5238
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

yep not expecting to see the olympics again for a while in Australia but lets see places like South American, African and Middle Eastern countries have a shot as the whole world shouldnt have to revolve round USA and other high profile western nations
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #5239
billkas
New SkyscraperCitizen

Likes (Received): 1

Rio is the best option! Go Rio!
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #5240
RobH

Likes (Received): 10335

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty78 View Post
yep not expecting to see the olympics again for a while in Australia but lets see places like South American, African and Middle Eastern countries have a shot as the whole world shouldnt have to revolve round USA and other high profile western nations
Given how much it costs and how much expertise is needed, there's very good reasons for it being so. Criticising the IOC for revolving their games around developed nations would be like criticising banks for only lending to people who can pay them back.
RobH está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016