daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #5241
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty78 View Post
yep not expecting to see the olympics again for a while in Australia but lets see places like South American, African and Middle Eastern countries have a shot as the whole world shouldnt have to revolve round USA and other high profile western nations
Australia will only bid until well after our FIFA WC bids. That would be the 2020's at the earliest.

The AOC would most definitely put Melbourne first over Brisbane not only due to our experience at the 2006 Commonwealth Games but the fact that Brisbane went first during our previous bid attempts.

Brisbane cannot win the bid using a sole mix of 1982 Commonwealth Games venues/2001 Goodwill Games venues (heavily upgraded and revamped) with some new venues, as the main concern is public transport to such venues (particularly those south). Only if there is a major overhaul of the transport grid, which I can only foresee a subway/metro system linking the Olympic park, Chandler suburb and CBD, being a viable option to solve the transport problem. That comes to say that such a thing is risky and will cost alot.

Don't be surprised if say Perth makes a bid before you try.
Lord David no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #5242
xikaumrio

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Given how much it costs and how much expertise is needed, there's very good reasons for it being so. Criticising the IOC for revolving their games around developed nations would be like criticising banks for only lending to people who can pay them back.
The question now is: who says we cannot pay for it now? the four cities (or their countries) have enough money to pay it. But we were the only who gave official guarantees to do so. So .. it can explains the past not anymore.
xikaumrio no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #5243
Maxsnape
Maxsnape

Likes (Received): 27

What is your stadium of ceremony and Olympic favorite?

Maxsnape no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #5244
Haoting
真的好听

Likes (Received): 484

It's time South America host a summer olympics and Rio would look spectacular on TV. Rio 2016!
Haoting no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #5245
LaDyMaRTa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

MADRID

LaDyMaRTa no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5246
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Originally Posted by xikaumrio View Post
The question now is: who says we cannot pay for it now? the four cities (or their countries) have enough money to pay it. But we were the only who gave official guarantees to do so. So .. it can explains the past not anymore.
I wasn't trying to say otherwise.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #5247
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Tokyo! They even plan to make the stadium like a geofront!! :3
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #5248
Ivanski
инто спейс

Likes (Received): 33

Rio with Maracana of course, I would love to see it modernized
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5249
xikaumrio

Likes (Received): 93

Rio 2016's stand in Berlin:

Have you got pics of the others?
xikaumrio no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #5250
Jorge M

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
Tokyo! They even plan to make the stadium like a geofront!! :3
Seele will destroy it in the end, so why bother?
Jorge M no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #5251
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanski View Post
Rio with Maracana of course, I would love to see it modernized
You will already see it in 2014 Fifa WC
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #5252
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Given how much it costs and how much expertise is needed, there's very good reasons for it being so. Criticising the IOC for revolving their games around developed nations would be like criticising banks for only lending to people who can pay them back.
Yes, that´s why they should give it to Rio. Because the World crisis for instance, didnt affect Brazilian economy!! If we think the same way as you do. So, Brazil is the better option.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #5253
Ivanski
инто спейс

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
You will already see it in 2014 Fifa WC
Right, didn't think of the wc
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #5254
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4638

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkas View Post
2012: Europe
2016: America [North or south, i cannot predict]
2020: Asia or Europe
2016: America (Chicago)
2020: Asia or Africa (Tokyo or Capetown)
2024: Africa or Europe (Capetown or Marseille)
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #5255
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Yes, that´s why they should give it to Rio. Because the World crisis for instance, didnt affect Brazilian economy!! If we think the same way as you do. So, Brazil is the better option.
Rio have a strong case, but just because we have, at last, seen a good bid from South America doesn't mean they should automatically get it. The other bids are very good as well, recession or no recession.

I was merely describing why South America and Africa haven't had in the past in my last post, not giving any sort of hint as to what should happen in October.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #5256
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Rio have a strong case, but just because we have, at last, seen a good bid from South America doesn't mean they should automatically get it. The other bids are very good as well, recession or no recession.

I was merely describing why South America and Africa haven't had in the past in my last post, not giving any sort of hint as to what should happen in October.
No, you were being prejudice.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #5257
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
The United States still has the largest and most powerful economy by far; and with the stimulus money Obama is handing out like candy, particularly in his home city, I know funding will be no problem. Really in terms of funding, consistency, and overall ability to pull the games off, Chicago and Tokyo would be about even, with Madrid being right up there as well. Rio would come in last in my opinion. Whether that be a distant or close last place, I'm not going to make that call because I really wouldn't know. Is it time for a South American city to host? Probably, but that really should have any precedence in the matter. The city with the best planned venue and the best ability to actually pull it off in a safe and timely manner should win.

You're biased towards Rio and I'm biased towards Chicago . Don't point out others when you do the same thing.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #5258
Dan Caumo

Likes (Received): 6426

I think USA had too many olympic event already: 4 summer games (2 of the last 7) and 4 winter games (2 of the last 8). There was 43 olympic events already (without the canceled ones) and USA organized 8 (almost 20%).

Madrid could be a good choice, but Europe 2004 / Asia 2008 / Europe 2012 / Europe 2016 isn't the better choice to the IOC that needs to improve the olympic at the worldwide.

This way I think could be Tokyo 2016 or Rio 2016. Asia is the largest and the most populous continent. Japan had just one summer games 45 years ago (52 in 2016). South America never had the games and Brazil is a large and populous country and the eighth economic power (the only one of the top ten that didn't organized yet).
Dan Caumo no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #5259
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Caumo View Post
I think USA had too many olympic event already: 4 summer games (2 of the last 7) and 4 winter games (2 of the last 8). There was 43 olympic events already (without the canceled ones) and USA organized 8 (almost 20%).

Madrid could be a good choice, but Europe 2004 / Asia 2008 / Europe 2012 / Europe 2016 isn't the better choice to the IOC that needs to improve the olympic at the worldwide.

This way I think could be Tokyo 2016 or Rio 2016. Asia is the largest and the most populous continent. Japan had just one summer games 45 years ago (52 in 2016). South America never had the games and Brazil is a large and populous country and the eighth economic power (the only one of the top ten that didn't organized yet).

please dont be ignorant, the us got alot of the first ones when hardly any nations played, and just think we are the most powerful country in the world we are well fit to handle these kinds of events plus when it comes to the US we should not consider the country as much as the city under consideration, Chicago has never hosted the olympics nor an event this huge, President Obama is from there and it is the third most populous US city, it deserves this, plus it is a leading environmentally friendly city
backupcoolm4n no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #5260
RobH

Quote:
Tell me where I was being even slightly prejudice. Go on. You can't can you? I bet nobody else in this forum looking through my posts can either.

If you can't discuss the issues Rio faces without accusing those who make valid points of being prejudiced you don't deserve to be welcoming the world in 2016, and you don't deserve to have your account kept open on this forum either.

I think I'm owed an apology from you, but I won't be holding my breath.

And incidentally, I've reported that post to the mods because you clearly don't know how discussions in internet forums are supposed to work (which is a bit odd given that you've posted more than 5000 times).

What I do know is if you carry on with this line of argument the mods will lock this thread again, and I'll be one of those asking for it to be locked. So either argue properly, like an adult rather than a 10 year old kid, or go somewhere else.

Last edited by RobH; August 16th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016