daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #5301
RobH

Likes (Received): 10335

Quote:
but I think all 4 candidates would host amazing games, in a very different and unique way
Exactly, and that's what the shortlisting is for. It allows the IOC to vote however they like knowing the bids which didn't hit the mark (Doha, Prague and Baku) aren't in the vote. Every city which reaches the stage Rio, Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid have reached is deemed technically strong enough to host. So, you're right in saying whoever the IOC picks it ought to be an amazing games.
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5302
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Chicago pushes 2016 bid at last event before vote
24 August 2009

BERLIN (AP) - Patrick Ryan has traveled tens of thousands of kilometers (miles), crisscrossed time zones and wandered through countless hotel lobbies -- all in search of support for Chicago's bid for the 2016 Olympics.

With six weeks before the International Olympic Committee vote in Copenhagen on Oct. 2, Ryan and leaders of the three other candidate cities took the roadshow to Berlin for the last major campaign stop of the race.

Bid teams from Chicago, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Madrid converged here in conjunction with IOC executive board meetings and the world athletics championships, which ended Sunday and were attended by as many as 60 IOC members.

"You can see people just walking through the lobby," Ryan said. "It's a chance to build and expand on those relationships."

Ryan has met most of the IOC's 106 members over the past few years of the campaign, but will not pass up a chance to talk to them again, especially with so many in one place at the same time.

"This is the last opportunity," he said. "You want to meet as many as you can right up before the vote. I say, 'Let's get together and have coffee or something.'"

Before an interview with The Associated Press, Ryan stopped several times to greet IOC members. Later, a powerful IOC official -- Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli -- walked past and said hello.

Chicago has been considered a strong contender in its bid to bring the Summer Games back to the United States for the first time since the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. However, Rio has made a big impact with its energetic and emotional appeal for the Olympics to be held in South America for the first time. It's seen by some as the current favorite.

"There's a lot of discussion that Rio has gotten stronger," Ryan acknowledged.

Yet the momentum can swing in the final weeks, days and hours of the race.

"I've said all along that there are four great cities," Ryan said. "From my perspective, there's going to be ebbing and flowing on where people are. At one point everybody's talking about city A, then city B.

"People have their predictions about who the finalists are going to be. I suppose if you've got 99 people in a room, you get 33 that say one thing, 33 that say another and 33 that say another."

IOC host-city votes are conducted by secret ballot and can be highly unpredictable. The city receiving the fewest votes is eliminated in each round until one emerges with a winning majority.

The first round can be extremely tricky, with sympathy votes and other factors that can put a favorite in danger of going out. Assuming no city will win in the first round, the second-choice votes will be crucial.

"I'm appropriately worried," said Ryan, looking relaxed in a blue blazer and open-neck shirt. "I think it's very, very tight. People have all these predictions. But I predict a really, really tight vote all the way through."

Ryan has studied past Olympic votes, including the 2005 ballot in which London overcame the perceived favorite Paris in the final round.

"What's come clear to me is that you probably don't want to be the favorite going into the vote," Ryan said. "Sometimes people interpret actions and behavior maybe different than they're intended or different than they really are. There seems to be a momentum that's hard to predict."

The largest number of members come from Europe, but votes from Asia, Africa, the Americas and Oceania are also crucial.

"It's an independent body, I'm impressed by that," Ryan said. "I was a little bit surprised. Early on I heard a lot about bloc votes, but I don't believe in bloc votes. I think they all make up their own minds."

The wild-card factor could be the appearance of heads of state and government at the IOC meeting.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Spanish King Juan Carlos have announced they are going to Copenhagen. The crown prince or prime minister of Japan may come. The biggest question of all: Will President Barack Obama be there?

Obama calls Chicago home, has appeared in videos supporting the bid and has set up a White House office for Olympic and youth sport.

His presence in Copenhagen could be decisive, just as Tony Blair helped secure the 2012 Olympics for London when he lobbied IOC members in Singapore in 2005 and then-Russian President Vladimir Putin pushed Sochi's winning bid for the 2014 Winter Games when he traveled to Guatemala City in 2007.

Ryan said the decision will be made by the White House depending on the situation of the time.

"We just don't have any sense of what his schedule will be," he said. "We know this: that he is a passionately strong supporter of the bid, and he's a really strong believer."

Chicago's bid has been clouded by thorny relations between the IOC and the U.S. Olympic Committee over the American body's share of Olympic revenues and, most recently, the USOC's plans to launch its own Olympic television network. The IOC said the USOC acted "unilaterally" and the TV project could undermine Olympic network NBC.

USOC chairman Larry Probst met with IOC president Jacques Rogge in Berlin and announced the TV project was being put on hold -- meaning the dispute shouldn't be ongoing during the vote in Copenhagen.

Another key challenge for Chicago is to convince IOC members -- and taxpayers back home -- of its budget plans and financial guarantees for the games. Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley has pledged to sign the IOC's host city contract if Chicago gets the games, taking full financial responsibility for any deficit.

"I think the IOC has to be pleased that we have every intent of signing the host city contract," Ryan said. "At that point you're putting your city's credit on the line. Chicago has a very strong credit rating. Then, for the protection of the taxpayers and for the comfort of the IOC, we're putting an insurance package together."

But that's down the road. In a few weeks, the only numbers Ryan will be interested in are the IOC vote totals.

"I've learned three important lessons from IOC members," Ryan said. "Don't assume anything, stay humble, and work, work, work right up to the very end."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #5303
aleochi
carioca

Likes (Received): 1703

Is good to see that Rio have been mentioned in all 2016's reports as a strong candidate. Some years ago, it would be impossible. If we didn't get the Games, we'll loose with class, at least
aleochi no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #5304
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Games place would boost sport Olympic dreams
25 August 2009
Geelong Advertiser

IT WILL be of enormous interest to local MP Richard Marles and the entire golf industry in Australia if golf secures one of the recently recommended positions in the 2016 Olympics.

The Australian Golf Industry Council, with Richard in tow, trekked en masse to Canberra recently to lobby Federal Sport Minister Kate Ellis for more equitable funding for the sport. The main thrust of their argument was the undeniable fact that golf is by far the biggest contributor in terms of its impact on the Australian economy, yet it receives a pittance in government support compared to some other sports.

Possible Olympic status for the sport adds another entirely different aspect, that of raising the profile, and hopefully the participation rates of the game locally.

Australia produces regular winners across the world due largely to the magnificent infrastructure that we have in place. Golf is affordable, accessible and a great source of healthy living options to well over half a million players.

The golf authorities, at state and federal level, do a fantastic job in giving our up and coming youngsters the best chance to be successful at the pointy end, then it comes down to talent and dedication.

What is not in place at this point is the funding to facilitate a sustained, researched program that puts golf firmly in the minds of all Australian kids.

Australian and international football, cricket, and to a lesser extent, tennis, all enjoy national marketing programs that direct kids en masse into purpose designed and delivered programs, and the results are there for all to see.

Golf cannot do that at the moment for various reasons, and even with Olympic status, it will be many years until such programs can be agreed, funded and put in place. The district push via Greater Golf 2010 has a huge part to play in awakening the game of golf.

The biggest mistake that we as a sport could make would be to sit back and let the Olympic possibility in 2016 become our panacea for all of our existing woes; we need to act now to put our region in the best possible position should the decision to be made in October go the way we and need.

Announcements regarding the Greater Golf Project and other exciting local initiatives are due within the upcoming weeks.

Geelong has a unique opportunity to put in place strategies that could see it become a centre of golfing excellence in Australia.

It could become envy of the rest of the nation should we produce champions in the sport who could then go on and become Olympic champions.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #5305
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Wey, that's not the issue though.

The issue is, will he have lost his appeal by October 2nd when the vote takes place? I don't think so! I think he could very well do for Chicago 2016 what Blair did for London 2012 and what Putin did for Sochi 2014. Anyone who thinks this isn't possible has their head in the sand. Obama, if he goes to Copehhagen, will have a definite influence; the question is how big it'll be and whether it'll be enough to push Chicago over the line first.
But Lula will overshadow Obama. Even him said: Lula is the man!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #5306
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Someone's optimistic, lol!
That is a great carachteristic of all brazilians, because we face so many adversities with pooverty, violency, health problems, we learn how to be always optimistic!! Even if Rio loses it, what i hope wont, im already very proud for my country´s city to reached this point!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #5307
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIK View Post
The main opponents Olympiad 2016 is a Tokyo and Rio! Tokyo-the best of all cities-applicants for the Olympic Games in terms of readiness and financing! And Rio worthy opponent Tokyo and Chicago, because in that country has not yet Olympiad, the country's rich and big, booming economy, and the city of Rio can gracefully hold Olympiad in 2016!

LOL why this very hot brazilian carnival girl doing here?? That´s not what Brazil is all about!! hehehe but great pics though! what is that thing in the middle of Tokyo´s Bay? Jaspions´new robot?
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #5308
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I don't like Obama, and didn't vote for him, but he is undoubtedly the most famous person of the time...and would far overshadow Lula...not trying to be mean at all, like I said I didn't even vote for him, but the world seems to be wrapped up in his glamor appeal lol.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5309
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
I don't like Obama, and didn't vote for him, but he is undoubtedly the most famous person of the time...and would far overshadow Lula...not trying to be mean at all, like I said I didn't even vote for him, but the world seems to be wrapped up in his glamor appeal lol.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5310
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
Pointing at out an obvious fact. Who's more famous, the newly elected president of the United States of America, the world's current super power, home to 307,000,000 people, or say the leader of Luxembourg for instance? Like I said, didn't vote for him, but it is what it is.

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5311
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Daley pushes 'sacrifices' in city budget
Mayor defends meter deal, Olympic plans amid critics

Chicago Tribune

Aug. 27--Mayor Richard Daley said "everybody has to make sacrifices" in the face of a city budget shortfall that exceeds $500 million, then sat back Wednesday as residents outlined a litany of concerns during a public hearing on the West Side.

Daley described his efforts to save money, including furloughing city employees. And he once again defended his decision to lease city parking meters to a private firm, saying it was a "wonderful" plan that ran into problems when the company took over, leading to higher costs, malfunctioning meters and other problems.

"I apologized time and time again and I'll take responsibility for that," said Daley, who has repeatedly said he will take the heat while stopping short of issuing an apology.

Daley also addressed concerns over the city's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, saying the benefits -- including the investment of federal money in the city -- outweigh the risks.

"Our delegation is led by President Obama, not by Richard M. Daley, this is not my idea," said the mayor. "A lot of people like the idea. ...

"I know people are worried about it, because they think it's going to cost them money," Daley said, adding that private insurance will protect taxpayers.

Speakers raised concerns from funding for a senior center to getting a new garbage can. Daley thanked many of the speakers and occasionally his aides would approach them after they spoke.

As with a similar hearing Tuesday, several speakers complained to the mayor about possible cuts to mental health clinics.

A city Public Health Department spokesman said Wednesday the city is looking at shutting five of the 12 mental-health clinics, while blaming the cuts on state budget woes. But a state Human Services Department spokeswoman said the cut was almost entirely the result of city billing errors, not the state budget crisis.

The clinics provide therapy, medication and activities for people with mental illness who can't get access to city not-for-profit centers that are at maximum capacity, activists said. Four targeted clinics are South Side facilities that closed this year but reopened temporarily with skeleton staffs after advocates staged a sit-in.

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #5312
Cedar Teeth
Caçador de pessimildos

Likes (Received): 634

Quote:
Cedar Teeth no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #5313
TEBC

Quote:
Not in South America
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #5314
TEBC

Quote:
Pointing at out an obvious fact. Who's more famous, the newly elected president of the United States of America, the world's current super power, home to 307,000,000 people, or say the leader of Luxembourg for instance? Like I said, didn't vote for him, but it is what it is.
We are not talking about Luxembourg´s leader!! We are talking about Brazilian leader, an economic superpower, one of the BRICS, on the most popular president in Brazilian history and very popular between american countries. Of course he is not famous as Obama, but that means nothing. bush was very famous too, does everybody likes him? Im not saying that Obama is hateful, i even think that people likes him, but he will no be part in copenhagen he has better things to do and I still think Lula is more carismatic than him.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #5315
mrnu

Likes (Received): 9

GO RIO!
mrnu no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #5316
Wey
Recursive

Quote:
I just don't get how that'd be a "mean" thing to do, like recognizing the fact that Obama is more widely famous than Lula was somehow hurtful and depreciative

The question that REALLY should concern us is weather his fame will positevely influence Chicago's bid in a way to overshadow all the remain, and I just don't think that'll happen
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #5317
New York City 20??

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Im not saying that Obama is hateful, i even think that people likes him, but he will no be part in copenhagen he has better things to do.
Under the Obama administration, Chicago has enjoyed the closes ties with the US federal government than any American bidding city before. I'm sure he will be in Copenhagen working for his hometown, playing the "this is the only time the world that is crazy about me will be able to vote for me through voting for Chicago 2016" card. The question, for me at least, is if Chicago will have played up Obama too much before the vote for some IOC members to not get swept up in Obama mania when it hits them in the face during that final presentation.

I don't mean this as a "ra-ra Chicago!" supporter - I'll be content with either Rio or Chicago, and maybe even Tokyo if it actually happens.

Last edited by New York City 20??; August 28th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
New York City 20?? no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5318
Wey
Recursive

Yeah, unfortunately there will no longer be the 2016 Olympic Games...

10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #5319
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
I just don't get how that'd be a "mean" thing to do, like recognizing the fact that Obama is more widely famous than Lula was somehow hurtful and depreciative

The question that REALLY should concern us is weather his fame will positevely influence Chicago's bid in a way to overshadow all the remain, and I just don't think that'll happen
You don't? Since when did Rio's bid or any other city far outshine Chicago's? They don't. Chicago is, and always has been, one of the favorites to host. Obama, the most popular man in the world, is just an extra feature .

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5320
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately there will no longer be the 2016 Olympic Games...

Yes there will, except Rio won't be hosting, on account of the country being destroyed. Which means no FIFA WC either.
Lord David no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016