daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5321
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
We are not talking about Luxembourg´s leader!! We are talking about Brazilian leader, an economic superpower, one of the BRICS, on the most popular president in Brazilian history and very popular between american countries. Of course he is not famous as Obama, but that means nothing. bush was very famous too, does everybody likes him? Im not saying that Obama is hateful, i even think that people likes him, but he will no be part in copenhagen he has better things to do and I still think Lula is more carismatic than him.
No, were NOT talking about Luxembourg's leader. More people would probably know him more than Brazil's lol. With America, we're talking about THE economic superpower. For example, 2008 Gross Domestic Product (In millions of U.S. Dollars)-
Brazil-1,572,839 million
USA-14,330,000 million
Just a fun fact, of course .
The difference between Bush and Obama? People love Obama, hated Bush .
I hate to get into such trivial, pointless arguing when I can see you didn't even pick up half of my comment correctly, but I do love to argue .

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #5322
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
You don't? Since when did Rio's bid or any other city far outshine Chicago's? They don't. Chicago is, and always has been, one of the favorites to host. Obama, the most popular man in the world, is just an extra feature .
HAHA, we'll see about that in a month, my friend
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5323
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
You don't? Since when did Rio's bid or any other city far outshine Chicago's? They don't. Chicago is, and always has been, one of the favorites to host. Obama, the most popular man in the world, is just an extra feature .
Rio's bid is technically weaker than Chicago's and I'm sure the Evaluation Report will bear that out in a week. The question is how much weaker?

If it looks like Rio's on the coat-tails of the other bids sentiment and the strong emotional argument of South America never having hosted could easily carry them over the line first in the vote. If they're deemed technically some way behind the others they're going to have trouble in October.

So, JRQ, you're right that technically Chicago's bid looks better than Rio's. But emotional factors will play a part as well. That's why Obama is so important; he will be able to add some pazazz to Chicago's technically excellent bid that could propel it above Rio. If he's not in Copenhagen, I can see Rio's emotional argument trumping Chicago's technical one.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #5324
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
No, were NOT talking about Luxembourg's leader. More people would probably know him more than Brazil's lol. With America, we're talking about THE economic superpower. For example, 2008 Gross Domestic Product (In millions of U.S. Dollars)-
Brazil-1,572,839 million
USA-14,330,000 million
Just a fun fact, of course .
The difference between Bush and Obama? People love Obama, hated Bush .
I hate to get into such trivial, pointless arguing when I can see you didn't even pick up half of my comment correctly, but I do love to argue .
Im not getting in an economic dispute because we will be arguing forever.. u will play the greater economy card and ill play the safer economy card...
TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #5325
TEBC

just for some laugh

TEBC no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #5326
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
Im not getting in an economic dispute because we will be arguing forever.. u will play the greater economy card and ill play the safer economy card...
What would we argue over, honestly? Brazil comes nowhere near the United States in matters concerning economic or global power. Safer economy? Which currency does the entire globe invest in for security? The dollar. Not the Euro, not the Yen, but the dollar. I'm not trying to sound the stereotypical U.S. superiority trumpet here, but when people act as if Chicago, the top running city in this Olympic bid since the start, has little chance of a victory, and then idiotic reasons are given? I post the facts, not opinion. Look them up, and see who's correct.

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM   #5327
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
HAHA, we'll see about that in a month, my friend
Not really your friend, and yes, we will

--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5328
legal

Likes (Received): 4146

Go Rio!!!!
www.globaltradeview.com, a forum on International Business & Travels.
www.lehighproducts.com
Study English or Intl Business in USA: www.lehighglobal.com
Organic & Specialty Food Monthly Subscription Box: www.dacostassecret.com
legal no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5329
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

RIO 2016...ARENAS E VENUES

oLA ...

As you know ABOUT RIO 2016 ... www.rio2016.com.br VISIT AND KNOW A LITTLE MORE THAN THE RIVER WILL OFFER BEING ELECTED AS HEAD
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM   #5330
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

And I know that the Maracana Stadium got an incorrect role as the ceremonies venue. It is supposed to host the football finals only. Ceremonies are intended for an expanded Engenhao Stadium. When Barcelona hosted the Olympics in 1992, was there even any suggestions that the Nou Camp Stadium may be used for the ceremonies? I don't think so because the Montjuic Stadium was the ceremonies venue instead. 100,000 capacity football stadiums shouldn't be hosting Olympic Ceremonies unless they have an athletics track.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:05 AM   #5331
TEBC

I think moderation can close this thread. Has nothing important on it.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM   #5332
TEBC

Quote:
What would we argue over, honestly? Brazil comes nowhere near the United States in matters concerning economic or global power. Safer economy? Which currency does the entire globe invest in for security? The dollar. Not the Euro, not the Yen, but the dollar. I'm not trying to sound the stereotypical U.S. superiority trumpet here, but when people act as if Chicago, the top running city in this Olympic bid since the start, has little chance of a victory, and then idiotic reasons are given? I post the facts, not opinion. Look them up, and see who's correct.

Sorry, but i prefere to wait for nex month to see who is correct. But maybe you are right, Chicago will get it, just like Atlanta 96 and Salt Lake 2002 paying for the OIC members in an unffair dispute. If itr happen so, ill just hope that will not be shit games like it was in 96, and good luck with the security issues.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:15 AM   #5333
boyerling3

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Sorry, but i prefere to wait for nex month to see who is correct. But maybe you are right, Chicago will get it, just like Atlanta 96 and Salt Lake 2002 paying for the OIC members in an unffair dispute. If itr happen so, ill just hope that will not be shit games like it was in 96, and good luck with the security issues.
With that sort of sportsmanship I'd hope that Rio wouldn't get it. I'm sure there is a bit more money being thrown around by all the bids than there should be, but I'm really not sure just how much that affects the votes otherwise do you think Rio would be in and Doha out? I hope it is Chicago because, to be frank that's my hometown and I'm sure you might feel the same way about Rio, but I think regardless of who gets it it'll end up being awesome in either of the Americas. I'd rather not visit the old haunts of Western Europe and Japan though that's been done recently. The Midwest hasn't hosted since St. Louis and I'd love to show the world my neck of the woods.
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM   #5334
JR Nazareth

www.rio2016.com.br

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's positive response to the economic crisis and the leadership role played by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on the global stage increased the odds of Rio de Janeiro to win the bid for 2016 Olympic Games, according to Mayor Eduardo Paes.

Confident in tone, the mayor said in an interview Tuesday that most of the works planned for the Games - with a total estimated cost of 28.8 billion reais - will be held even if the city does not get the winner election of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Copenhagen on October 2.

The Rio for the first time among the four finalists after two unsuccessful attempts, bet on the legacy of World Cup 2014 and the call to bring the first time the Olympics to South America to displace the competing Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.

The vote of the 100 voters IOC promises to be one of the tightest in recent years.

"I think this (crisis) has impacted positively. I think the reaction to the crisis in Brazil, the control of markets, the strength of the Brazilian economy had a positive impact," said Paes, 39, told Reuters in the government carioca .

"The presence of the Central Bank president, Henrique Meirelles, as guardian of the coin, showing the economic prospects in Brazil, in fact were very important so that we could reach a position to be in contention right now," he added.

While the United States was the epicenter of the economic crisis and the economies of Japan and Spain also went into recession, Brazil suffered minor consequences and outlined before the first output signals of turbulence by the force of the internal situation and healthy banks, analysts say .

It also weighs in favor of Rio attended by President Lula as a canvasser of the city, according to Paes. Lula included in the agenda of his trips abroad meeting with sports officials and will continue to ask for votes during the session of the IOC will choose the winning city, when to fight a battle behind the scenes with other heads of state, including the U.S. Barack Obama, defender of the proposed Chicago.

"He (Lula) is the face of a stronger Brazil, who faced economic crisis very well. It is the face of an economy that was becoming more consolidated, is the face of a new world organization, which assumes that the rich countries are no longer a small group that can make all the decisions. It is proof that Brazil has much to teach the world, "said Paes, a former political opponent of Lula but is allied to the president before becoming mayor this year .

"President Lula is the country with its social problems, their difficulties, their weaknesses, their faults, but a much more developed nation."

SECURITY AND BUDGET

In response to concerns about security in the city - especially overseas, where news about the high crime rates may affect the Olympic proposal - the mayor acknowledged that much remains to be done to make the river a safe place, but believes that for the Olympics will not be a problem.

Citing security risks related to the competitors, especially the "Terrorism," Paes recalled the tradition of achievement in Rio de big events without incidents of violence, such as Carnival, New Year's Eve, 2007 and Pan-Rio-92.

"To make the Olympics, I have no doubt that the difficulties that faces the river, and we do not hide, are easily overcome, because we are talking about a particular time of an event," he said.

The proposed Rio agreed a budget of 28.8 billion reais, of which almost 25 billion from the public coffers. According to the mayor, much of the work is scheduled to be executed independently of the Games in the city.

The vast majority of projects, however, is still on paper, such as pollution of Guanabara Bay and the lagoons of the city, revitalizing the waterfront and a new Rapid Transit system.

With regard to sports facilities, only 29 percent are ready, while 24 percent need to reform and the rest will still be built, permanently or temporarily.

The planned spending of Rio is one of the highest among the four competitors, but in line with the expenses foreseen by London to host the Games in 2012, estimated at about 28 million reais. Tokyo, with most of the infrastructure ready, is the candidate with the smallest budget (less than 10 billion reais).

For the mayor, the current application is entirely feasible within the financial possibilities of the country, correcting errors of previous proposals that actually proved impossible. But he acknowledged that major events always suffer budget problems like in the Pan-2007, when the cost was almost 4 times greater than expected.

"The value is that it strove to include absolutely everything that impacts the Olympics, regardless of the coming of the Games. In this respect, the proposal of the River is the most realistic of all," he said.

"The Olympic movement also has to do with improving the city, improving the quality of life, and we consider this an asset. Chicago already has a nice infrastructure, Madrid and Tokyo as well. Certainly the ability to transform the Olympic Games in Rio is much higher. "
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #5335
JR Nazareth

I live in Chicago ... and everyone here .... believe more in the campaign in Rio than in theirs ....
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:42 AM   #5336
JR Nazareth

HELLO .... THE SAME EMOTION YOU FEEL TO WATCH THIS VIDEO, I WANT ME IS THAT ALL .... I also felt that AMAZING is BRAZIL AND RIO DE JANEIRO ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCoqZNesnM RIO DE JANEIRO 2016 - WORD CUP 2014
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:43 AM   #5337
JR Nazareth

WATCH THIS VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCoqZNesnM
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #5338
Chitowner245

I'm also from chicago, and as I would like to get the bid the fact of the matter is that it would be nice to see rio get it. However, that doesn't mean rio deserves it or that it makes more sense to have it in rio. Despite believing it would be nice to see rio win, I have reasons to believe chicago has a better chance:
1. Endorsed by China as well as London and nearly all African countries' olympic delegates.
2. Companies such as McDonald's, Nike, Jordan, Adidas, Reebok, and General Electric all favor chicago's bid and have pledged more funding and greater olympic involvement if chicago wins.
3. The chicago bid is by far the most athlete-friendly bid due to the amenities and the compactness of the games.
4. Chicago has deep-rooted olympic tradition (Jesse Owens, Carl Lewis, Mike Conley, Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen).
5. Political backing of Chicago-native Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton, Chicagoan President Obama, the US's most powerful and influencial mayor, mr. daley, and the first ever olympic office in the whitehouse. Jesse Jackson is also well known around the world for his work with dr. king and other civil issues.

When you have the largest olympic sponsors, the most influencial politicians, other countries that have hosted the games, an entire continent on the other side of the world supporting and preferring your bid- along with the athletic legacy of the most important olympians of all time (Owens, Jordan, Lewis, Joyner-Kersee)- you have one hell of an advantage.

Last edited by Chitowner245; September 2nd, 2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: ...
Chitowner245 no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM   #5339
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
I'm also from chicago, and as I would like to get the bid the fact of the matter is that it would be nice to see rio get it. However, that doesn't mean rio deserves it or that it makes more sense to have it in rio. Despite believing it would be nice to see rio win, I have reasons to believe chicago has a better chance:
1. Endorsed by China as well as London and nearly all African countries' olympic delegates.
2. Companies such as McDonald's, Nike, Jordan, Adidas, Reebok, and General Electric all favor chicago's bid and have pledged more funding and greater olympic involvement if chicago wins.
3. The chicago bid is by far the most athlete-friendly bid due to the amenities and the compactness of the games.
4. Chicago has deep-rooted olympic tradition (Jesse Owens, Carl Lewis, Mike Conley, Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen).
5. Political backing of Chicago-native Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton, Chicagoan President Obama, the US's most powerful and influencial mayor, mr. daley, and the first ever olympic office in the whitehouse. Jesse Jackson is also well known around the world for his work with dr. king and other civil issues.

When you have the largest olympic sponsors, the most influencial politicians, other countries that have hosted the games, an entire continent on the other side of the world supporting and preferring your bid- along with the athletic legacy of the most important olympians of all time (Owens, Jordan, Lewis, Joyner-Kersee)- you have one hell of an advantage.
I think Africa is split with Rio, Chicago and Madrid. If Rio survives first ballot and Madrid gets eliminated i think it´s possible tha Rio wins in the second ballot, all depends if Madrid will be able to get more votes form Rio´s supporters.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #5340
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
This type of stink written above is why this thread was unnecessary closed for many months. I resent that you are suggesting my city can't win other then by criminal, underhanded, or undeserving means. To insinuate as you do asserts that my city has no redeeming qualities and plans to even warrant consideration that it can throw a great games (as the others also would). Unfortunately you seem to display a type of sore loser sportsmanship that some Brazilians showed at the PanAm's, a real ugly side that I would rather dismiss as an aberration but which you make it difficult.

Take your unfounded accusations and put them elsewhere and let adults discuss the selection.

Last edited by nomarandlee; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016