daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #5401
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

Rio's 2016 Olympic Bid Continues To Gain Momentum at a Critical Time
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:53pm EDT GB Editor
Font size:

Based on findings in the International Olympic Committee’s technical evaluation report of the 2016 Olympic bid cities, Rio de Janeiro has a lot to be excited about. All four candidates received generally favorable evaluations in the report released Wednesday, but the language used in Rio's summary seemed to favor its bid - if only by a small margin.

Speaking to GamesBids.com from London, President of Rio 2016 Carlos Nuzman found it difficult to contain his excitement.

“It is fair to say that Rio has a very positive report and possibly the most favorable of all”, Nuzman said boldly.

“The IOC report is a real boost to the Rio bid.”

While the IOC did point out some weaknesses in Rio's plans - they followed each of these points with a benefit. Referring to a potential conflict in preparations between Brazil’s 2014 FIFA World Cup and a 2016 Olympic Games, Rio 2016 Secretary General Carlos Osorio picked up on the spin.

“Our communication plans take into consideration that the World Cup is going to be there. We think that both events can work very well together; there’s a big synergy between both of them and we don't see any challenges just advantages and synergies in having the World Cup” Osorio explained to GamesBids.com.

“And quite frankly if you notice that the United States, Japan and Spain are also bidding for the 2018 World Cup you can see that everybody thinks that's a great idea to have both events with two years apart; but only Brazil has got the World Cup already and most importantly before the Olympic Games.”

Rio was a questionable addition to the candidate list last year after it stood fifth in an initial IOC evaluation report. In fact Rio trailed behind Doha, Qatar - a city that was eliminated from the bid. Rio failed to make the same cut when they bid for the 2012 games.

However, Brazil's bid has been steadily gaining momentum over the past year. Presentations in Denver and Lausanne this year drew rare applause from IOC members and it was clear that Rio had become a sentimental favorite based on the bid’s desire to host the Games in South America for the very first time.

Now with only a month to go, the evaluation report is concrete evidence that Rio is a bid to beat.

GAMES BID
JR Nazareth no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #5402
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx View Post
Why are they having them in other cities?
THE STRUCTURE THAT THEY HAVE .... AND STILL BE THE SEATS FIFA 2014 ....

BEIJING 2008 HAS BEEN SO
2016 TOQUI that too

"That was clear to you ...."
HUGS
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5403
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

that was very confusing lol but thanks =P
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5404
omguannoyme
BANNED

JR Nazareth, you said you lived in Chicagi, is that true?
Because honestly, I doubt you can communicate with anyone with that shitty english of yours. How can you possibly live in an english-speaking country with such bad domain of the language?

Not to mention you are one arrogant bitch
omguannoyme no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5405
legal

Likes (Received): 4146

Quote:
Originally Posted by omguannoyme View Post
Because honestly, I doubt you can communicate with anyone with that shitty english of yours. How can you possibly live in an english-speaking country with such bad domain of the language?

And you came outta nowhere just to offend him!!
www.globaltradeview.com, a forum on International Business & Travels.
www.lehighproducts.com
Study English or Intl Business in USA: www.lehighglobal.com
Organic & Specialty Food Monthly Subscription Box: www.dacostassecret.com
legal no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #5406
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by omguannoyme View Post

HELLO, IS THE LAST TIME YOU RESPOND YOU, WHO KNOWS ignore you, you are REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN ...

I LIVE IN COK PARK, AND I DO EXCHANGE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, I am very happy to be here and I WILL BE COMING BACK TO MY COUNTRY. (BRAZIL)

MY LANGUAGE IS PORTUGUESE, KNOW WHAT THE ENGLISH, I communicate the necessary ...

I'm not arrogant ... YOU TO BE WITHOUT THE INTELLIGENCE AND NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAID ... No offense ... MORE YOU DID YOU FIRST ... APOLOGIZE FOR MY ENGLISH, BUT THIS IS A SECOND LANGUAGE, MY PORTUGUESE IS THE "RIGHT?"

I THINK IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LEAST RESPECT AND EDUCATION WHEN DRIVING PEOPLE ... it is hard to communicate with you ... OK?
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5407
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
On the flipside, 23.3% opposition is about 8m people. A figure equal to the population of London is opposed to Tokyo 2016. You can't put only the supportive figures into "proper context" whilst ignoring the unsupportive ones!!
No you can't, but wouldn't the IOC be more interested in their being adequate support in the host city to fill stadia, etc? It's the support that matters most.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #5408
aleochi
carioca

Likes (Received): 1703

Rio is the happiest city in the world, by Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/wor...le-cities.html

Ever since Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers appeared in the 1933 film Flying Down to Rio, the world has been fascinated with Rio de Janeiro. Popular perception of the city is infused with images of starry-eyed youngsters dancing into the dusk, backed by imposing mountains and dark sea.

That view has propelled Rio to the top of our list of the world's happiest cities. Famous for its annual Carnaval festival (starting Feb. 13 next year), the second-largest metropolis in South America finished first among 50 cities in a recent survey conducted by policy advisor Simon Anholt and market researcher GfK Custom Research North America.

"Brazil is associated with all these qualities of good humor and good living and Carnaval," says Anholt. "Carnaval is very important--it's the classic image that people have of Rio, and it's an image of happiness."

aleochi no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #5409
JR Nazareth

FRIENDS,

* WITH ALL LOVE, ALL I WANT TO KNOW THE PLAN OF THE APPLICATION OF RIO DE JANEIRO: (Because this topic is Stadium / Arena)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCoqZNesnM

* BELOW AND THIS IS ABOUT THE CITY OF RIO DE JANEIRO ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZIZ...eature=related

A pleasure to introduce it to you !!!
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #5410
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post
HELLO, IS THE LAST TIME YOU RESPOND YOU, WHO KNOWS ignore you, you are REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN ...

I LIVE IN COK PARK, AND I DO EXCHANGE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, I am very happy to be here and I WILL BE COMING BACK TO MY COUNTRY. (BRAZIL)

MY LANGUAGE IS PORTUGUESE, KNOW WHAT THE ENGLISH, I communicate the necessary ...

I'm not arrogant ... YOU TO BE WITHOUT THE INTELLIGENCE AND NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAID ... No offense ... MORE YOU DID YOU FIRST ... APOLOGIZE FOR MY ENGLISH, BUT THIS IS A SECOND LANGUAGE, MY PORTUGUESE IS THE "RIGHT?"

I THINK IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LEAST RESPECT AND EDUCATION WHEN DRIVING PEOPLE ... it is hard to communicate with you ... OK?
Calm down, man.

You're being too fuc**** dull, causing boredom for nothing. Everybody here knows the bad and good attributes from the four applicants.

Don't keep on shaming others Brazilian users with this foolish flooding.

About the choice in a month, I think Rio will take this if Madrid goes out on the first round, what's not that difficult to happen.

I was believing that Chicago would be the toughest rival for Rio, but after those evaluations have been made Tokyo is the main competitor for sure.

The criticism about Rio and Tokyo is clearly softer than ones from the others. The problems from the Brazilian and Japanese cities are easier to be solved or guaranteed.

Don't believe that Obama will be in Copenhagen to rescue Chicago's plan. If emotional side really weighs in this election, Rio and Madrid get some advantage, not only by popular supporting with high index, but also for being two vibrants cities directed linked with rhythms and inspiring sceneries.

Cheering for Rio here (obvious, my hometown), but threatened with Tokyo's power. That's my situation right now.

Last edited by Cobucci; September 4th, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #5411
JR Nazareth

Thank you,

I have the same line of thought .... look I was born in Sao Paulo and twist a lot for the RIO .. rsrs

Hugs
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #5412
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

Rio's 2016 bid boosted by IOC evaluation

(CNN) -- Rio de Janeiro's chances of becoming the first South American city to host the Olympics received a boost when the IOC published its evaluation of the four contenders for the 2016 Games on Wednesday.
Madrid's Mayor Alberto Ruiz Gallardon talks to the media after his city's evaluation report.

Rio is competing with Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo for the right to stage the 2016 Summer Olympics, with the final decision being made in Copenhagen on October 2.

The IOC report is an important indicator ahead of the vote, making a series of judgments on criteria such as venues, financial viability, transportation plans and levels of public support for each bid.

All four bidding cities received a mixture of praise and criticism, but Rio's presentation and documentation was judged to have been of the "very highest quality."

Chicago also received high marks in the evaluation, but the Tokyo bid was criticized for a "relatively low level of public support" in an IOC opinion poll.

Madrid, who narrowly missed out in the race for the 2012 Games won by London, were marked down for problems with their administration.

"Given the current complexity and magnitude of delivering a major multi-sports event such as the Olympic Games, this could result in organizational and financial challenges," the IOC said.

Rio did not escape criticism with the lack of hotel accommodation highlighted, while there were doubts expressed about the financial guarantees of front-runners Chicago.

The Lausanne-based IOC does not rank or grade the cities in the evaluation, but it is considered an important milestone ahead of the vote by its 106 members in the Danish capital.

Carlos Nuzman, president of Rio 2016, was clearly delighted by the evaluation.

"I am very happy that this report confirms the IOC's approval of our project and vision for the Games and that Rio is considered ready to welcome the Olympic and Paralympic Games to South America for the first time."

The evaluation commission's visit to Rio was a great success and this has been highlighted in their description of our documentation and presentations as of 'a very high quality'."

Rio hosted the Pan-American Games in 2007 and will provide key venues for the football's World Cup in 2014.

Tokyo last hosted the Olympics in 1964, while Chicago would be the first American city awarded the Games since Atlanta in 1996. Madrid is hoping to be the second Spanish city after Barcelona in 1992 to win the Summer Olympics.

Link
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #5413
JR Nazareth

A L E R T !!!

Rio 2016 Blog

On October 2, 2009, Rio de Janeiro may be elected to head the Olympics and Paralympics in 2016.

If chosen, you have to organize an event for about ten thousand athletes from 200 countries will compete in 30 sports. Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo also compete. The LANCENET! Then provides this space for you, reader, provide feedback and follow the preparation of the application.

Sad image
posted by Michel Castelar

The Bid Committee Rio-2016 has retaliated to the attack from the United States. Organizers of Rio de Janeiro issued an application note which repudiate the episode of "Law & Order", aired on Thursday.

In the crime drama, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was murdered for having voted in Tokyo to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016.

Arrested, the murderer confessed that he committed the crime after striking a deal with the Brazilian authorities. After all, if the river was the host city chosen, the killer would be responsible for the security of the Games.

"For the episode of the series appears in the U.S. by USA Network and the AXN channel in Brazil, which used the name of the Brazilian candidacy to the Olympics, the 2016 Rio committee expresses its condemnation of the irresponsible and reckless use of the image of the Brazilian candidate, lying on the campaign to host the 2016 Olympic Games. The committee based its action in this dispute in ethics, integrity and full respect for their competitors, "he wrote in a note to Rio in 2016.

The sad thing about all this is to see the image of Brazil appears pejoratively. Because, the show also showed the story of the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961), in which a prostitute want to come to Rio get a rich husband.

As a friend of mine would say, these Americans are completely clueless. Absurd!

CLEAN GAME?? OLYMPIC SPIRIT?
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #5414
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Why are you posting stuff from random blogs and why do refuse to give links to post?

Learn how to use the forum properly or ask someone or don't post here.
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #5415
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

Tokyo should host the Olympics...It's a nice clean city with a beautiful culture and the people are very nice. I hope they get the Olympics..Madrid would be my 2nd choice, Chicago 3rd and Rio De Janerio last
Ukraine no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #5416
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

I hope OIC sees what Miserable scene americans did with ths law and order episode.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #5417
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Why are you posting stuff from random blogs and why do refuse to give links to post?

Learn how to use the forum properly or ask someone or don't post here.
http://www.lancenet.com.br/blogs_colunistas/rio2016/

here is the link that Nazareh refers. He probably didnt put here because it is in portuguese. But it is not a randon blog, is from one of most prestigious sports journal of Brazil.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #5418
TEBC

THE GLORY THAT WAS (#CI8016)
EPISODE PREMIERE: June 14, 2009
In this second episode of the eighth season, we introduce our new lead, Zack Nichols (played by Jeff Goldblum), to the series. Together with Meghan Wheeler (played by Julianne Nicholson), the detectives of New York City's Major Case Squad find themselves on the world stage, untangling the dark politics behind the Olympic Site Selection Committee.

At the top of the show, a wealthy Belgian diplomat, Caroline Walters, is found murdered in Central Park. Nearby, a second body is discovered: a former secret service agent hired to protect Caroline Walters. Nichols and Wheeler begin their investigation at the Belgian Consulate, where they meet high-profile security consultant, Jack Tayler. Tayler, it turns out, hired the now-dead agent meant to protect Caroline Walters.

The detectives turn their attention to threats made against Caroline Walters, and soon a DVD surfaces that suggests Ms. Walters was being blackmailed: the DVD contains images of her making love with another woman, Laura Green.

When interrogated, Laura Green claims that she, too, was being blackmailed. But soon, when her story fails to hold up, and after an assassination attempt on her life, Nichols and Wheeler know they have their killer: Laura Green was the blackmailer and someone now wants her dead. The detectives know that someone else is involved.

Nichols, in what will be a signature element of the show, retreats from the case, in order to garner perspective. In this episode, he goes to the Film Forum, in Greenwich Village, to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's. It is while watching the film that he finally puts the pieces together.

In the aria of the show, Nichols interrogates security consultant, Jack Taylor, who has branch offices throughout the world. Pulling on the strings that hold the tightly wound Taylor together, Nichols leads Taylor directly into a noose of self-incrimination. Taylor expected to win a security contract in Rio de Janeiro. Caroline Walters, it turns out, was the vote he needed on the Olympic Site Selection Committee that would throw the Olympics to Rio.

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/cri...was/index.html
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #5419
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Was reading that just before you posted it.

I agree, a rather s--t stupid story to put on be it with malicious intent or not. It is not going to be seen by any of the voting dignitaries so I don't know who they would try to be influencing. Nevertheless bad form, if they wanted to center it around an Olympic story they should have chosen future hypothetical candidate and not that ones now or use an actually city only if an American city wasn't involved in the competition.

I suggest if you are pissed you write an e-mail to NBC and tell them you think it is tasteless to use your city in a pejorative light so close to the vote.
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #5420
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

First Choice: Chicago (country bias)
I think it will be a perfect choice,not saying it will be the perfect olympics, though. 20 years after the last olympics in the US! Good location!
Second Choice: Rio
Let's move the games to South America

I wouldn't want them to host it in neither of these cities.
Third: Madrid
We already had London 2012, would we really want to stay in Europe?
Fourth: Tokyo
They already did it once, plus we already had Beijing in 2008. Im tired of BIG asian cities. At least the games in Madrid would be culturally different than London. Beijing and Tokyo are alike in more ways than London and Madrid.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016