daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #5421
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post
A L E R T !!!



Rio 2016 Blog

On October 2, 2009, Rio de Janeiro may be elected to head the Olympics and Paralympics in 2016.

If chosen, you have to organize an event for about ten thousand athletes from 200 countries will compete in 30 sports. Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo also compete. The LANCENET! Then provides this space for you, reader, provide feedback and follow the preparation of the application.



Sad image
posted by Michel Castelar

The Bid Committee Rio-2016 has retaliated to the attack from the United States. Organizers of Rio de Janeiro issued an application note which repudiate the episode of "Law & Order", aired on Thursday.

In the crime drama, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was murdered for having voted in Tokyo to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016.

Arrested, the murderer confessed that he committed the crime after striking a deal with the Brazilian authorities. After all, if the river was the host city chosen, the killer would be responsible for the security of the Games.

"For the episode of the series appears in the U.S. by USA Network and the AXN channel in Brazil, which used the name of the Brazilian candidacy to the Olympics, the 2016 Rio committee expresses its condemnation of the irresponsible and reckless use of the image of the Brazilian candidate, lying on the campaign to host the 2016 Olympic Games. The committee based its action in this dispute in ethics, integrity and full respect for their competitors, "he wrote in a note to Rio in 2016.

The sad thing about all this is to see the image of Brazil appears pejoratively. Because, the show also showed the story of the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961), in which a prostitute want to come to Rio get a rich husband.

As a friend of mine would say, these Americans are completely clueless. Absurd!



CLEAN GAME?? OLYMPIC SPIRIT?
Its a ******* TV show using a current event as a major plotline. Get over it!
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #5422
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,778
Likes (Received): 10338

Well, this won't affect the race unless Chicago 2016 paid them to do it, which they obviously didn't. Rio 2016 can complain all they want, but they'd be better off using their energies to keep up their strong momentum rather than getting bogged down in an ethics row which they won't win.

Last edited by RobH; September 6th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5423
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,198
Likes (Received): 5791

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Well, this won't affect the race unless Chicago 2016 paid them to do it, which they obviously didn't. Rio 2016 can complain all they want, but they'd be better off using their energies to keep up their strong momentum rather than getting bogged down in an ethics row which they won't win.
´
Of course Chicago 2016 didnt pay anything to do it, but it is an indirect atack to rio´s bid. just like the spanish journal El Pais, making a lot of attacks, mainly with no sense arguments. It turned a battle btwn Rio against the rest of the developed world. But in one month we will see who get it.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #5424
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,778
Likes (Received): 10338

Yes, but it's all meaningless and will have no impact whatsoever on who wins and who loses.

It's all a bit silly really. If anyone thinks a bunch of septuagenarians (the voting members of the IOC) from every corner of the globe in their cut-off world religiously watch Law & Order, let alone know the details of this particular episode, then they're way off.

It sounds like Rio are making hay out of this when they'd be much better off continuing to build on their strong momentum. Getting bogged down in an ethics row which they can't win (because none of their rival bids instigated this episode) will mean they're taking their eye of the ball at a crucial time. As much as I'd laugh watching a diplomatic row over an episode of a fictional TV programme, I'd advice Rio to make a short complaint and leave it at that.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5425
boyerling3
Registered User
 
boyerling3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 146
Likes (Received): 4

O the Olympic bid race. Here's a great piece of satire from the folks at Onion News. Remember it's just a joke and isn't serious so don't be offended anybody:

PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI—Emphasizing the country's warm tropical climate, vibrant culture, and long-term plans to cultivate farmland capable of sustaining actual crops, the Haitian Olympic Committee formally announced its bid Monday to host the 2216 Summer Games.

Officials say the Games will be broadcast via satellite should the country happen to develop a space program by then.

Organizers of the LXXXI Olympiad, which would be held in the capital city of Port- au-Prince, said the event will showcase the many attractions that are sure to be conceptualized, financed, and constructed over the next 207 years.

"These Olympics will be the greatest the world has ever seen, provided inflation doesn't render the Gourd worthless and we manage to stumble into some kind of lasting stability in the next 20 decades or so," declared committee president Jean-Edouard Baker, standing beside a stack of burning tire shavings where he believes the Olympic flame may one day be housed. "2216 is our time."

Haitian leaders believe Port-au-Prince to be the ideal location for the games due to a number of civic improvements that could, in theory, be made there.

According to Baker, the city will try to compensate for its lack of passable roads and safe bridges by building a high-speed rail system which, "with a little luck," might someday connect to an Olympic village.

"This is the place where we may be able to possibly erect an aquatics center," said Baker, gesturing to a partially submerged field piled high with rusted-out Jeeps. "We're hoping that within a century or two we'll be able to raise enough food to feed enough workers to move enough dirt to make a hole deep enough to contain an Olympic-size pool."

Added Baker, "We don't have much in the way of potable water, but that hole ought to fill on its own when the next hurricane strikes."

Representatives from the International Olympic Committee flew to Port-au-Prince Monday to survey the proposed site, landing on the country's longest of four paved runways. A brief and heavily armored tour of the city's marathon route gave planners the chance to show visiting delegates the many wonders that may eventually make up Haiti.

A banquet was held that afternoon in a dilapidated structure that local officials plan to tear down and rebuild as a multipurpose stadium. They said they hope to name the facility after a great leader who will rise to power at some point in the future—perhaps in the 22nd century—and bring peace and prosperity to the Haitian people.

Between bursts of automatic gunfire and the frantic screams of U.N. peacekeepers deployed in the area, Haiti made its case to the IOC.

"We want at some point to begin neutering the stray-animal population, so that elite runners from around the world will not have to leap over so many frail and lethargic dogs in order to cross the finish line," urban designer Antoinne Darbouze told IOC representatives. "And yes, once we can get our hands on enough asphalt, we'll have roads in places where they're absolutely necessary."

A local artisan also gave a presentation at the banquet, showing attendees how replicas of Olympic medals could be carved from indigenous fruits and then dyed colors that are similar to gold, silver, and bronze.

"By 2216, we hope that Haiti will be an inspirational place for the world's greatest athletes to compete," said René Préval, president of Haiti, a nation whose government has been repeatedly ranked as the most corrupt in the world. "And who knows, at that point our great-great-great-grandchildren may have eliminated the near-constant threat of protozoal diarrhea."

Despite the many challenges faced by the small island nation, the IOC remained confident that Haiti is, in the sense that it has not yet been officially eliminated from consideration, a real contender for the games.

"Haiti has a long way to go to meet our standards," said IOC president Jacques Rogge, pushing away a goat that had entered through a hole in the wall and was craning its neck to reach his plate. "They need to do a lot to build up their sporting facilities and hotel infrastructure, in addition to improving environmental conditions, developing a financial sector, and quelling civil unrest."

"We're not going to make any decisions for the next 200 years," Rogge continued. "Though after seeing Haiti firsthand, I can honestly say the country faces some stiff competition from Atlantis."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...urce=a-section
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5426
Basincreek
Contrary Lite
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 544
Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I hope OIC sees what Miserable scene americans did with ths law and order episode.
I really don't understand what you are upset about. Chicago is never mentioned outside of when one detective asks which cities are bidding and the woman murdered was going to vote for Tokyo. If this was propaganda for any city then it was for Tokyo and not Chicago. I watched the episode when it premiered back in May and I didn't see it as reflecting badly on Rio or favorably on Chicago at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Nevertheless bad form, if they wanted to center it around an Olympic story they should have chosen future hypothetical candidate and not that ones now or use an actually city only if an American city wasn't involved in the competition.
That would have been dumb, from a writing standpoint. Law & Order: Criminal Intent prides itself on adapting real current events into the story. A "hypothetical" Olympics would have been insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I suggest if you are pissed you write an e-mail to NBC and tell them you think it is tasteless to use your city in a pejorative light so close to the vote.
I don't see it as portraying Rio in a pejorative light at all. If you watched the episode it is made clear the murderer was acting on his own with no connection to the Rio bidding organizers. He was merely trying to influence the vote because he thought he might hypothetically get the security contract in Rio if they did win.

Honestly, I just don't see this as something to get upset about.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #5427
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2762

I didn't see the episode, I will take your word for it I guess.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5428
Basincreek
Contrary Lite
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 544
Likes (Received): 55

I only watched it because I wanted to see how Jeff Goldblum's new character would work. I kinda liked how he fit in so we'll see how it works out in the end.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #5429
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,495
Likes (Received): 17807

AP Interview: Sebastian Coe says bid race for 2016 Olympics even closer than 2012 contest
7 September 2009

LONDON (AP) - Take it from a man who should know: The race for the 2016 Olympics is as close as can be.

Sebastian Coe, who engineered London's narrow victory for the 2012 Summer Games, said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday that next month's 2016 vote is even more wide open.

Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo are the candidates. The International Olympic Committee will select the winner by secret ballot in Copenhagen on Oct. 2.

"I think this is probably even closer and tighter than the 2012 round," Coe said during a visit to AP's London offices. "I think we probably recognized at this stage in the 2012 round that London and Paris probably had the momentum, and you could probably at that point have looked at the other cities and said at least two of them are beginning to tread water. It's very difficult to say that about any of these cities."

Paris was widely considered the front-runner in the 2012 race, but London beat the French capital 54-50 in the fourth round of the voting in Singapore in 2005. Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated in the first three rounds.

The 2016 bid cities, representing four different continents, have been campaigning furiously going into the final weeks of the race with no obvious favorite or also-ran. Just getting through the first round in Copenhagen could be crucial.

"They are all cities quite capable of staging extraordinary games," said Coe, who heads London's Olympic organizing committee. "All have very smart, very clear visions. This one (race) is probably posing many IOC members bigger questions than for some of the other rounds."

Tony Blair, then British prime minister, traveled to Singapore and was instrumental in lobbying IOC members to vote for London. Vladimir Putin, as Russian president, helped secure the 2014 Winter Games for Sochi when he attended the IOC vote in Guatemala City in 2007.

Still unclear is whether President Barack Obama will go to Copenhagen to push Chicago's bid to bring the Summer Olympics back to the U.S. for the first time since the 1996 Atlanta Games.

"Clearly a city needs to show that it has seamless political support," Coe said. "All cities will decide how they demonstrate that. Some will demonstrate it by bringing their political heads of state along, others will demonstrate that by showing local commitment."

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will be in Copenhagen to try to persuade the IOC to send the Olympics to South America for the first time. King Juan Carlos of Spain will be there for Madrid's bid. Japan has invited incoming Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama and Crown Prince Naruhito to attend.

But Coe said there is no magic winning formula.

"The one thing I do know from the bid we were involved in and having become a little bit of a student of these bids, there isn't a set template," he said. "No city should be sitting there saying, 'London did this, Sochi did that, or Paris did this.' You have to do what you absolutely genuinely think is intrinsically a part of your narrative. Trying to do something simply because another city did it is a dangerous route."

On other issues, Coe reiterated that London's 2012 preparations are on time or even ahead of schedule despite the global recession. He said London has raised more than $820 million in sponsorship revenue.

"That's a great story -- on balance more than any other host city raised to this point, and probably over the whole cycle of the project," Coe said. "We still have some very competitive and very vibrant conversations going on with other (sponsorship) categories."

Yet, with just under three years to go, Coe isn't complacent about the financial pressures.

"We wake up every morning making sure that we land this project on time and to budget," he said. "We have to forever make sure that our cost base is under control. ... We know that there are always going to be challenges on organizing committees. Landing the plane -- we will land it, but we still have three years of hard work to do."

Coe said the post-games use of the Olympic Stadium will be up to a new government legacy company, but the venue will be downsized and used mainly for track and field.

The 80,000-seat stadium, which is under construction, is to be reduced to a 25,000-capacity venue after 2012. Some officials have said it should be kept at full capacity as part of England's bid for the 2018 World Cup.

"It's a stadium that is not going to remain at that size," Coe said. "It wouldn't be good legacy usage. ... As long as we have track and field as the primary purpose, but not uniquely, as long as we are creative about what we do and how we use and don't create white elephants, it is an issue for the legacy board."

Coe declined to talk about his future after the games, including speculation he could become president of the International Association of Athletics Federations. The two-time 1,500-meter Olympic gold medalist is an IAAF vice president.

"I'm focused on just one thing: that is being part of a team that delivers a spectacular Olympic and Paralympic Games in this city," Coe said. "Beyond that the world will have to sort itself out -- 2012 for me is the only thing I think about."

As a track and field great, Coe has watched with amazement as Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt rewrites the record books, including his 9.58 seconds in the 100 meters and 19.19 seconds in the 200 at last month's world championships in Berlin.

Coe believes Bolt has the most room for improvement in the 200 and could possibly break the 19-second barrier. And how low can Bolt go in the 100?

"I'm not sure he can get under 9.4, but there is probably scope to start tickling around the 9.5 bit," Coe said. "I'm also fascinated by what this guy could do over 400 meters as well. That may be something he and his team are thinking about in 2012."
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5430
nazrey
Registered User
 
nazrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 90,843
Likes (Received): 10727

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
AP Interview: Sebastian Coe says bid race for 2016 Olympics even closer than 2012 contest
7 September 2009

LONDON (AP) - Take it from a man who should know: The race for the 2016 Olympics is as close as can be.

Sebastian Coe, who engineered London's narrow victory for the 2012 Summer Games, said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday that next month's 2016 vote is even more wide open.

Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo are the candidates. The International Olympic Committee will select the winner by secret ballot in Copenhagen on Oct. 2.
__________________
Malaysia Photo Gallery - Click Here for Malaysia Galleries
City & Town - | Kuala Lumpur | Penang | Malacca | Putrajaya | Cyberjaya | Langkawi
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #5431
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
O the Olympic bid race. Here's a great piece of satire from the folks at Onion News. Remember it's just a joke and isn't serious so don't be offended anybody:

PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI—Emphasizing the country's warm tropical climate, vibrant culture, and long-term plans to cultivate farmland capable of sustaining actual crops, the Haitian Olympic Committee formally announced its bid Monday to host the 2216 Summer Games.

Officials say the Games will be broadcast via satellite should the country happen to develop a space program by then.

Organizers of the LXXXI Olympiad, which would be held in the capital city of Port- au-Prince, said the event will showcase the many attractions that are sure to be conceptualized, financed, and constructed over the next 207 years.

"These Olympics will be the greatest the world has ever seen, provided inflation doesn't render the Gourd worthless and we manage to stumble into some kind of lasting stability in the next 20 decades or so," declared committee president Jean-Edouard Baker, standing beside a stack of burning tire shavings where he believes the Olympic flame may one day be housed. "2216 is our time."

Haitian leaders believe Port-au-Prince to be the ideal location for the games due to a number of civic improvements that could, in theory, be made there.

According to Baker, the city will try to compensate for its lack of passable roads and safe bridges by building a high-speed rail system which, "with a little luck," might someday connect to an Olympic village.

"This is the place where we may be able to possibly erect an aquatics center," said Baker, gesturing to a partially submerged field piled high with rusted-out Jeeps. "We're hoping that within a century or two we'll be able to raise enough food to feed enough workers to move enough dirt to make a hole deep enough to contain an Olympic-size pool."

Added Baker, "We don't have much in the way of potable water, but that hole ought to fill on its own when the next hurricane strikes."

Representatives from the International Olympic Committee flew to Port-au-Prince Monday to survey the proposed site, landing on the country's longest of four paved runways. A brief and heavily armored tour of the city's marathon route gave planners the chance to show visiting delegates the many wonders that may eventually make up Haiti.

A banquet was held that afternoon in a dilapidated structure that local officials plan to tear down and rebuild as a multipurpose stadium. They said they hope to name the facility after a great leader who will rise to power at some point in the future—perhaps in the 22nd century—and bring peace and prosperity to the Haitian people.

Between bursts of automatic gunfire and the frantic screams of U.N. peacekeepers deployed in the area, Haiti made its case to the IOC.

"We want at some point to begin neutering the stray-animal population, so that elite runners from around the world will not have to leap over so many frail and lethargic dogs in order to cross the finish line," urban designer Antoinne Darbouze told IOC representatives. "And yes, once we can get our hands on enough asphalt, we'll have roads in places where they're absolutely necessary."

A local artisan also gave a presentation at the banquet, showing attendees how replicas of Olympic medals could be carved from indigenous fruits and then dyed colors that are similar to gold, silver, and bronze.

"By 2216, we hope that Haiti will be an inspirational place for the world's greatest athletes to compete," said René Préval, president of Haiti, a nation whose government has been repeatedly ranked as the most corrupt in the world. "And who knows, at that point our great-great-great-grandchildren may have eliminated the near-constant threat of protozoal diarrhea."

Despite the many challenges faced by the small island nation, the IOC remained confident that Haiti is, in the sense that it has not yet been officially eliminated from consideration, a real contender for the games.

"Haiti has a long way to go to meet our standards," said IOC president Jacques Rogge, pushing away a goat that had entered through a hole in the wall and was craning its neck to reach his plate. "They need to do a lot to build up their sporting facilities and hotel infrastructure, in addition to improving environmental conditions, developing a financial sector, and quelling civil unrest."

"We're not going to make any decisions for the next 200 years," Rogge continued. "Though after seeing Haiti firsthand, I can honestly say the country faces some stiff competition from Atlantis."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...urce=a-section
Deeply unnecessary and dislocated...
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5432
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 372
Likes (Received): 255

I read the report and I sya there is no clear favorite for the winning. Each city has its strenghts and weakness. It was more severe than others bids.
Madrid and Tokyo seem to be more severly criticized than Rio and Chicago by IOC. It would have a final contest between Chicago and Rio.
The key would be on an emotional final presentation in Copenhague.
Obama has been recognized to deliver emotional speechs and has developped this quality for elections.
Don't celebrate victory before october 2nd. A report has rarely been decisive in these bids. Remember for 2012 and 2014.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5433
yeahright
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

I think Rio will win because everyone feels bad for South America.
yeahright no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #5434
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,198
Likes (Received): 5791

"Law and Order" Depiction of Rio 2016 Vote Buying and Corruption Causes Outrage
Monday, September 7, 2009 12:10am EDT GB Editor
Font size:
Law & Order: Criminal Intent, "The Glory That Was" - Jeff Goldblum as Detective Zach Nichols, Ritchie Coster as Jack Tyler (USA Network Photo)
An episode from the American television series “Law and Order: Criminal Intent” has triggered outrage from the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic bid.

The show depicts an attempt by a firm with financial interests in Rio's bid to buy a vote from a member of the Olympic Committee of Belgium. When the member agrees, she ends up murdered in New York.

Globoesporte.com in Brazil says a Rio 2016 statement condemned the “irresponsible and reckless use of the image of the Brazilian candidate, who is on the campaign to host the games."

The episode entitled “The Glory that Was” originally aired on the USA Network and NBC in the United States on June 14 without much criticism. However, when it aired in Brazil on Thursday on AXN Network, many took notice. NBC owns the rights to broadcast the Olympic Games in United States.

Rio’s Mayor Eduardo Paes called the show “ridiculous and pathetic” when he spoke to O Globo. He told the newspaper that it could even damage IOC members whose work is completely transparent in relation to the election – and he said it may hinder the U.S. application (for the 2016 Olympics) and strengthen Rio’s campaign. Chicago is also bidding for the 2016 Games.

Law and Order – CI is in its eighth season after becoming a spin-off of the popular Law and Order franchise. The show stars renowned actor Jeff Goldblum and Julianne Nicholson whose characters team up to solve the crime.

The USA Network Website synopsis of the episode describes “the dark politics behind the Olympic Site Selection Committee” and how the show’s murder victim “was the vote he needed on the Olympic Site Selection Committee that would throw the Olympics to Rio.”

The IOC has worked hard over the past decade to clean up its image after the highly publicized vote buying scandal in 1998. The site selection process has been re-engineered and the IOC assures that bribery is a thing of the past. Although the Law and Order show is fictional, it could awaken bitter memories at a crucial and sensitive time of the 2016 Olympic bid.

The depiction of the corrupt IOC member as a member of the Belgian Olympic Committee could add to the sensitivity of the issue; the current President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, was also the President of the Belgian Olympic Committee.

Rio and Chicago are also competing with Tokyo and Madrid to win the right to host the 2016 Olympics. The race is considered one of the closest in history and a single vote could be the difference between success and failure.

The winner will be determined by a vote of International Olympic Committee members on October 2 in Copenhagen. The high profile event will be attended by national leaders and royalty and perhaps even United States President Barack Obama.

gamesbids.com
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #5435
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill
 
Christianmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: world citizen
Posts: 242
Likes (Received): 1284

They need to get over it.
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #5436
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,495
Likes (Received): 17807

Political leaders can deliver emotional speeches, but at the end of the day, the IOC does not always work in co-operation with national governments. I think Rio has a very strong case since South America has never hosted the Games. Perhaps it's time to give them a try rather than have them go back to a prior host.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #5437
tboy800
Registered User
 
tboy800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 62

Go Madrid!!!
tboy800 no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #5438
MGM
Registered User
 
MGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Likes (Received): 2

France backs Rio's 2016 Olympic bid

Mon Sep 7, 4:20 pm ET

BRASILIA (AFP) – French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Monday his country backed the bid by Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics against competition from Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.

"France supports Rio's candidacy for 2016. All our votes are yours, and we hope it happens," he told a joint news conference with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in Brasilia, where he was attending Brazil's Independence Day celebrations.

"It would be great for Brazil and Latin America," said Sarkozy.

Sarkozy then joked to his counterpart: "And in the event that it won't compete with Brazil's ski resorts, we hope we'll get your support for Annecy for the 2018 Winter Games."

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will announce the winning city on October 2, in Copenhagen.

Lula, who has helped Rio surge to be frontrunner alongside Chicago, is to attend.

In an interview with AFP last week, the Brazilian leader said he had made a deal with Spain's King Juan Carlos for mutual support in the IOC's voting rounds.

"We made a deal: if Brazil isn't in the second round, it can support Spain; but if Spain isn't in, it votes for Brazil. It's an honest game," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090907...20090907202215
MGM no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5439
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,495
Likes (Received): 17807

Hmm .. so the members are starting to draw sides. Wonder if the rest of the EU share France's thoughts.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5440
MGM
Registered User
 
MGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Likes (Received): 2

NO GAMES CHICAGO-2016 Olympics-Myth #1

Olympic opposition getting second wind as support in Chicago fades

47 percent of Chicagoans polled favor the bid, but that support had been at 61 percent in February
Support in Chicago for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games has dwindled, with residents now sharply divided over whether the city should host the Games, a Tribune/WGN poll has found.

Nearly as many city residents oppose Mayor Richard Daley’s Olympic plans, 45 percent, as support them, 47 percent. And residents increasingly and overwhelmingly oppose using tax dollars to cover any financial shortfalls for the Games, with 84 percent disapproving of the use of public money.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxp0lqimxU



http://nogameschicago.com/

Last edited by MGM; September 8th, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
MGM no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu