daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5441
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Hmm .. so the members are starting to draw sides. Wonder if the rest of the EU share France's thoughts.
Or indeed the French IOC members. The President can say all he likes but it's a secret ballot and the French IOC members may vote a different way.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #5442
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17807

ANALYSIS-Even Olympics feel the squeeze from recession

CHICAGO/NEW YORK, Sept 7 (Reuters) - The Vancouver Winter Olympics are proving a tough sell to the business world which seems willing to pass on an advertising bonanza that promises to deliver billions of TV viewers worldwide and an avalanche of good will.

Just how tough? The roster of companies that have decided to forego sponsorship deals for the February 2010 games reads like a who's who of advertising, among them Bank of America Corp , General Motors Co [GM.UL] and Home Depot Inc who all dropped out as U.S. team sponsors.

These deals add up. The International Olympic Committee, for instance, raises about $4.5 billion from the combined sponsorship and global TV rights deals for every four-year period, analysts estimate.

"You have a confluence of many factors happening here. One, winter versus summer. Two, a hangover from Beijing. And three, the economic times," said Andrew Benett, the global chief strategy officer of Euro RSCG, part of advertising services company Havas SA .

"All of that together means it will not be as big of a bang -- even as past winter Olympics."

The overriding issue is the recession, forecast to cut worldwide ad spending by 8 to 12 percent this year as companies avoid splashy new campaigns. The Olympic Games are hardly safe from those kinds of budget pressures, even if they do hold up better than other top events like the National Football League's Super Bowl or the Academy Awards.

Kelly Crabb, a partner with the law firm of Morrison & Foerster who previously worked for the Beijing Olympic Organising Committee, said "none of these companies miss a chance to put the five rings by their name and associate with the goodwill and the values of the Olympic movement" under normal circumstances.

But with corporations slashing expenses, Crabb concedes "there may be some sponsors that are going to bail out."

In doing so, they would step away from a coveted chance to showcase their products to a blockbuster TV audience. Some 4.7 billion viewers, or 70 percent of the world's population, watched the Beijing Olympics, according to Nielsen.

What audiences see when they watch the Olympic Games is equally appealing to advertisers -- who love to be associated with the sort of feel-good stories and hard-fought competition that often come out of the Olympics.

"When looking for a sponsorship that can really elevate their brand, there are few opportunities out there like the Olympics," said Gary Pluchino, senior vice president with sports, entertainment and media company IMG.

ARROGANCE, COMPETITION AND SALES

For all that appeal, the Olympic Games face challenges that stretch beyond the current economic collapse. Topping the list is the familiar problem of how to win the attention of younger audiences more interested in texting, gaming and web surfing than watching bobsledding or the decathlon on TV.

It is a particularly vexing issue for the Winter Olympics, according to marketing experts. Those 20-somethings that actually do watch winter sports on TV are often more taken with extreme sports like the ones on display in ESPN's X Games than many of the more traditional sports to be featured in Vancouver next year.

"Marketers can spend a lot less for an X Games package than a Winter Olympics package," said Larry Vincent, a Group Director of Strategy with branding firm Siegel+Gale, a unit of Omnicom Group .

"And if the goal is to link your brand with something cool, the X games, for a lot of people, deliver far more on investment that the Winter Olympics do," he added.

Another issue, experts said, is that the IOC and the United States Olympic Committee have not always worked well with potential sponsors.

"The USOC's problem has been, frankly, ineptitude," said Chris Welton, CEO of Helios Partners, an Atlanta sports marketing firm that represents corporate clients in sponsor deals.

"The IOC's problem has been bordering on arrogance and thinking that sponsorship dollars will always be there. They've taken sponsorships for granted," added Welton, who also previously handled marketing for the IOC.

One result of the current pullback in spending, experts said, is the IOC and the USOC may be forced to rethink how Olympic sponsorship deals are priced or structured.

"They are going to have to wake up based on the economy. Sponsorships to the Olympics are not cheap -- companies put down $10 million or $20 million for sponsorships and today that will not happen anywhere nearly as frequently as it did in the past," Euro RSCG's Benett said of national sponsorships.

Those involved in talks said the USOC already has started cutting deals.

The IOC, meanwhile, was forced to assure Vancouver organisers it would help with a potential budget gap because the IOC has fallen short on signing up corporate sponsors. Global sponsors like McDonald's Corp and Coca-Cola Co pay up to $100 million for a four-year Olympic period.

Advertisers are also holding out hope that NBC Universal, which has U.S. broadcast rights to the Vancouver Games, will show a willingness to cut prices. U.S. corporate spending on TV ads alone totaled almost $1 billion for Beijing, according to TNS Media Intelligence.

So far sources say NBC Universal, jointly owned by General Electric Co. and Vivendi SA , has held the line. Negotiations are moving slowly, but NBC Universal executives nonetheless said advertisers are coming to the table and dealmaking is starting to pick up.

"Sales are accelerating significantly, particularly in recent weeks, across numerous categories," Seth Winter, senior vice president, NBC Sports & Olympics sales and marketing, said in an e-mail.

Olympic organisers have reason to worry about any struggles by NBC as they are set to open the bidding for the next four-year period after the host city for the 2016 Summer Games is chosen later this year.

Many think a Chicago victory could boost the value of a TV deal dramatically as a U.S. host city would be more attractive to the U.S. broadcasters who account for the bulk of the IOC's TV revenue.

There is also some progress on the sponsorship front, with the USOC and Procter & Gamble announcing a deal this week covering the Vancouver and London Games.

"We are always looking for great opportunities to invest in our brands for the long term ... regardless of the economy," Kirk Perry, vice president for North America at Procter & Gamble , said in an interview.

Still, Euro RSCG's Benett noted: "We represent 82 of the Fortune 100 companies and I can count on one hand the number of clients that are flat to up in terms of their marketing spend. So there is no way that the Olympics will be immune to this, the IOC will be immune to this, or NBC will be immune to this."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5443
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

Complete Project of Rio

Four regions: Barra (center of the games), Maracanã, Deodoro and Copacabana (iconic region of the city).

MARACANÃ

João Havelange Olympic Stadium

Maracanã Olympic Stadium

Sambódromo (Temple of the Samba)

Maracanã Live Site of Quinta da Boa Vista Park (beautiful and imperial park near of the Maracanã Stadium)

COPACABANA REGION

DEODORO REGION

National Equestrian Center

National Shooting Center

Modern Pentathlon Park Deodoro

Olympic Stadium Slalom

BMX

X Park

Olympic Tennis Center

BARRA REGION - MPC/IBC

BARRA REGION - OLYMPIC BEACH

BARRA REGION - OLYMPIC VILLAGE

BARRA REGION - MEDIA VILLAGE

BARRA REGION - RIOCENTRO

Porto

http://www.rio2016.org.br/pt/Galeria...s/Default.aspx
Cauê no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #5444
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

DESIGN, COMPACT, IN CONDITIONS OF FINANCIAL AND STRUCTURAL .....
NO RISK OF NOT BE DELIVERED IN TIME .....
GOOD LUCK RIO 2016 ....
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5445
RobH

Quote:
COMPACT
Compared to the other bids, certainly not.

Quote:
NO RISK OF NOT BE DELIVERED IN TIME .....
No risk whatsoever? I think it's widely accepted Rio's is the riskiest bid of the four. The IOC has to decide whether the risk, which is certainly there, is worth it or whether to go with a safer bid from Chicago or Madrid or Tokyo.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #5446
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Compared to the other bids, certainly not.

No risk whatsoever? I think it's widely accepted Rio's is the riskiest bid of the four. The IOC has to decide whether the risk, which is certainly there, is worth it or whether to go with a safer bid from Chicago or Madrid or Tokyo.
In your opinion ..... YES

IN THE REPORT "THE IOC NOT KNOW IF YOU HAD ACCESS, BUT IN TOKYO FOR ALL THAT HAVE OFFERED MUCH EVEN BUILDING, HAD CONCERNS REGARDING THE TRAFFIC NEAR the Olympic Village and ESTADIO .... CONCERN IN PROVIDING FINANCIAL RISKS ... .. THE SAME WAY CHICAGO, WHERE HAS THE BIGGEST BUDGET, BUT WITHOUT WARRANTY.

THE CONCEPT "COMPACT" refers ONLY VERY NEAR ALL, BUT ALSO TO EQUIPMENT exist or that just need to .... IMPROVEMENTS

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW YET ..... OF ALL PROPOSED BUDGET BY THE RIO 2016, is already in BOX (FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, STATE AND MUNICIPAL)

In the same report, the river was less critical, and had only TIPS THAT SHOULD GIVE SPECIAL ATTENTION DURING THE PROJECT, ON ACCOMMODATIONS AND TRANSIT ....

Last edited by JR Nazareth; September 9th, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5447
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

rob, dont bother.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #5448
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post
In your opinion ..... YES

IN THE REPORT "THE IOC NOT KNOW IF YOU HAD ACCESS, BUT IN TOKYO FOR ALL THAT HAVE OFFERED MUCH EVEN BUILDING, HAD CONCERNS REGARDING THE TRAFFIC NEAR the Olympic Village and ESTADIO .... CONCERN IN PROVIDING FINANCIAL RISKS ... .. THE SAME WAY CHICAGO, WHERE HAS THE BIGGEST BUDGET, BUT WITHOUT WARRANTY.

THE CONCEPT "COMPACT" refers ONLY VERY NEAR ALL, BUT ALSO TO EQUIPMENT exist or that just need to .... IMPROVEMENTS

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW YET ..... OF ALL PROPOSED BUDGET BY THE RIVER 2016, is already in BOX (FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, STATE AND MUNICIPAL)

In the same report, the river was less critical, and had only TIPS THAT SHOULD GIVE SPECIAL ATTENTION DURING THE PROJECT, ON ACCOMMODATIONS AND TRANSIT ....
Stop using Google Translator. "RIVER 2016" (literal translation for the portuguese word "Rio") was the limit for me.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5449
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
Stop using Google Translator. "RIVER 2016" (literal translation for the portuguese word "Rio") was the limit for me.
Foi mal ..............rsrrss
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #5450
danVan

Likes (Received): 180

Maracana should only be used as a football venue.
I don't care how important and how much legacy the maracana has in rio.
If the olympics were in mexico, i'm sure they wouldn't be using azteca for the opening and closing ceremonies.
If they were in madrid, they wouldn't use bernabeu for that.
If they were in boston, they wouldn't use Fenway for that.
danVan no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #5451
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by danVan View Post
If the olympics were in mexico, i'm sure they wouldn't be using azteca for the opening and closing ceremonies.
But that's the official purpose. Using Maracanã Stadium for Ceremonies and Football and João Havelange Olympic Stadium (Engenhão) for Athletics.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #5452
danVan

Quote:
But that's the official purpose. Using Maracanã Stadium for Ceremonies and Football and João Havelange Olympic Stadium (Engenhão) for Athletics.
I know, but it shouldn't be that way.
danVan no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5453
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense, plus, which would be the main venue? Which would be 2016's Olympic Stadium?
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5454
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5791

Quote:
Originally Posted by danVan View Post

Mexico will use the Jalisco stadium (for football only) in the OC for Panam 2011 and other to athletics.

London and Chicago will use a temporary stadium.

Atlanta used a stadium that later become a baseball field.

Why Maracana cant host the OC? Have you ever been there? It is a great stadium and if Football is brazilian main sport i dont see why it cant host an OC that is just a stupid coment.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #5455
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
It doesn't make any sense, plus, which would be the main venue? Which would be 2016's Olympic Stadium?
Joao Havelange will be the Olympic Stadium. But what is the problem? there are no rule that says that the olympic stadium should host the OC and CC. Many times it wasnt like that. Mainly in the Winter Olympic games.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #5456
RobH

There's no rule, but it may be a disadvantage to Rio's bid. I certainly don't like the idea of seperating the ceremonies from the track and field stadium much, I don't know whether IOC members will feel similar.

The Winter Games traditions are different for good reason so using that as a justification doesn't work for me.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5457
aleochi
carioca

Likes (Received): 1703

I think it's unnecessary to build a new stadium here in Rio, even if it's temporary. Maracanã is a great and historical statium, that could fit perfectly for the Olympics. I think that brazilians could not imagine an Olympics ceremonies without it.
aleochi no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5458
danVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleochi View Post
I think it's unnecessary to build a new stadium here in Rio, even if it's temporary. Maracanã is a great and historical statium, that could fit perfectly for the Olympics. I think that brazilians could not imagine an Olympics ceremonies without it.
Engenhao could be expanded
danVan no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #5459
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
There's no rule, but it may be a disadvantage to Rio's bid. I certainly don't like the idea of seperating the ceremonies from the track and field stadium much, I don't know whether IOC members will feel similar.

The Winter Games traditions are different for good reason so using that as a justification doesn't work for me.

TG that you have no power at all to decide anything!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #5460
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Anyway, I think Rio's proposals are quite good. My only objection is the fact that there is no main Olympic Complex and the venues are a bit all over the place.
ReiAyanami no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016