daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #5481
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
We'll talk about on 10.02.09. btw, I think Obama's going.
I hope you are right. I really think the President would have to go for Chicago to have a chance. Last minute surprise travel by U.S. Presidents is by no means completely out of the question. George Bush's secret flights into Iraq prove that.

I think there are two problems though. The first is that, unlike our tax dollars, Obama is loathe to spend his political capital to make a very costly last-minute trip to Europe simply to gain a sporting event. With a trillion dollar federal budget deficit, and fears that a government-run health care plan would be poorly run and capriciously expensive, the last thing Obama needs to do is give more rhetorical ammunition to those who claim he is acting imperiously - playing fast and loose with taxpayer dollars.

Secondly, a last-minute surprise trip puts Obama at some risk of losing face should Chicago lose the bid. Does he really want to take that chance? I doubt it.
DFDalton no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #5482
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

Tho im still goin for Rio but remember dont count ya chickens before they hatch
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #5483
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

I really think Chicago has the better bid, but it could go either way. It's going to be a very close vote. If Obama doesn’t come the other leaders being there may not even matter.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5484
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

10.09.2009 | 16:35

Site aims to Rio as a favorite to receive the 2016 Games
After IOC release reports, RiO rises in the ranking of Games Bids

Rio de Janeiro has taken the lead in the race to host the 2016 Olympic Games. So says the site specializes in analyzing applications Olympic Games Bid. In the new update of BidIndex (name given to the ranking), the state capital appears in first position with 61.61 points.

- Some key elements helped the RIO to rise in the rankings: public support, realistic budget, sentimental appeal to South America get the Olympics for the first time and the popularity of carismástico chairman of the application, Nuzman. In addition, the report of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has identified areas of great potential for the Olympic legacy - said the site's editor, Robert Livingstone.

Rio de Janeiro was the fastest growing city in the ranking, updated after the IOC released, last week, reports of inspection visits to the four candidate cities: beyond the river, competing Madrid (Spain), Chicago (United States) and Tokyo (Japan).

The city of Rio, who was in runner-update in March, rose 1.66 points. And Chicago, which held the lantern, responded, adding 1.64 points, taking second place (60.01). The then leader Tokyo disappointed. The Japanese capital has fallen 2:21 points, leaving the leadership to get the third position (59.20). And Madrid, who was placed third, lost 0.93 point, and now owns the lantern (57.80).

- Tokyo fell for a few critical points highlighted in the report of the IOC: low public support, the discrepancy has been reported in the application file and what is actually done in relation to sports facilities, the location of the Olympic Stadium and the likely increase in the price of hotels during the Games. Chicago has already won some points, it healed on Wednesday the lack of financial guarantees for the holding of the Olympics by the city government - said Livingstone.

The ranking of the Games Bids is a mathematical formula created by the site to measure the condition of each city to be the Olympic host. It takes into account the application dossiers submitted in February 2009, reports of the Evaluation Commission of the IOC, geography, political and economic and governmental support, among other factors.

LANCEPRESS
http://www.clicrbs.com.br/esportes/s...s-de-2016.html
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #5485
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I really think Chicago has the better bid, but it could go either way. It's going to be a very close vote. If Obama doesn’t come the other leaders being there may not even matter.
Mmmmkay
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #5486
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Joao Havelange received some responses for his apeal for votes from Tunisia, China, Hong Kong, Mexico. He counts for sure 20 votes for brazil after first ballot.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5487

Likes (Received): 1439

I don't get the thing about "public support".
So you need democracy and public opinion? How did that do in Beijing? The country is a dictatorship!
1772 no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #5488
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

There's nothing to get 1772. As long as public support isn't horrendous I don't think it figures much in the decision. In other words, as long as there is majority public support, whether it's 70% or 90% makes little difference.

London, for example, had the second lowest just ahead of NYC for the 2012 vote with Paris, Madrid and Moscow posting much higher figures (London's was still good at around 70% though).
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #5489
TEBC

www.lojario2016.com.br
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #5490
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

how much longer till they announce Chicago as the winner?
Ganis no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5491
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Two weeks OR anything between 4 years and infinity.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5492
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Oprah to attend the Copenhagen!

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5493
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Oprah May Attend IOC Vote In Support Of Chicago 2016
Monday, September 14, 2009 11:39am EDT GB Staff

The Chicago Tribune reports Oprah Winfrey said she was willing to go to Copenhagen next month to help lobby Chicago in its bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Oprah, interviewed in Toronto Sunday where she is attending the Toronto International Film Festival, said, "if I feel I can be useful there, than that is what I will do".

Chicago 2016 CEO Patrick Ryan said last week his team would "absolutely" like to have Winfrey on board, reports the Chicago Tribune.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5494
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Arguably one of the most influential women of all time. Things seem to be improving for Chicago lately.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5495
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
Arguably one of the most influential women of all time. Things seem to be improving for Chicago lately.
I wud say Good if Chicago gets it.
Europe & America wud b avoided from the 2020 race giving hope Delhi 2020.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #5496
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
I wud say Good if Chicago gets it.
Europe & America wud b avoided from the 2020 race giving hope Delhi 2020.
Delhi will have no chances if they dont do a great job for Commonwealth 2010 and they are in a critical situation as far as i know.

2020 Hopes South Africa get it. CT or Durban.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #5497
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Delhi will have no chances if they dont do a great job for Commonwealth 2010 and they are in a critical situation as far as i know.

2020 Hopes South Africa get it. CT or Durban.
Or Rio, if Chicago gets 2016. Although I'm not sure if Chicago will bid again if they lose this time. But if Chicago loses that would boost the chance of a North American city getting picked in 2020.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #5498
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

If Delhi bits for 2020, it will be very hard not to win the favor of the committee
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #5499
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

Tokyo in my opinion, has the best proposals.
Choose Tokyo is not risk. is to make sure it will be good.

Last edited by S.T.Y AP; September 17th, 2009 at 02:53 AM.
S.T.Y AP no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #5500
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Obama drums up support for Chicago Olympic bid

By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated Press Writer –

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama staged a homecoming-style Olympic rally at the White House Wednesday, saying the whole country is rooting for his hometown of Chicago in its efforts to host the 2016 Summer Games.
"Chicago is ready. The American people are ready. We want these games," he said to applause from the Olympians, Paralympians, local schoolchildren, politicians and other supporters in attendance.
"If you choose Chicago, I promise you this — Chicago will make America proud, and America will make the world proud," Obama added.
The International Olympic Committee will choose a host city during an Oct. 2 meeting in Copenhagen. Obama will not attend the meetings, instead sending first lady Michelle Obama to lead the U.S. delegation.
Chicago is in a tough competition with Rio de Janeiro, Madrid and Tokyo. In recent years, national leaders have traveled to the IOC meetings to help seal the deal — such as Tony Blair for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and Vladimir Putin for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
"I would make the case in Copenhagen personally," Obama said, noting he's busy seeking a health care overhaul. "But the good news is I'm sending a more compelling superstar to represent the city and country we love, and that is our first lady, Michelle Obama."
She didn't return the kudos, describing the president's dabbling in some of the Olympic sports before the event.
"You should have seen the president in there fencing," she said to laughter, as Obama stuck out his arm in a mock fencing move. "It was pathetic. But he passed the baton really well."
The president said that while he loves Washington, Chicago has been his home for nearly 25 years. He called it a "city of broad shoulders and big hearts and bold dreams, a city of legendary sports figures, legendary sports venues and legendary sports fans."
After his remarks, the president shed his suit jacket and watched as athletes demonstrated judo, fencing and gymnastics.
"Oh! That's what I'm talking about!" he exclaimed after a skillful judo move. "Nice, nice, nice," he said at another point.
Over at the fencing demonstration, he picked up a foam sword and playfully demonstrated the skill that his wife had joked about.
Joining Obama for the event were Chicago Mayor Richard Daley as well as Olympic greats such as Mike Conley, a gold medalist in the triple jump who grew up near Washington Park, where the main Olympic stadium would be; Dominique Dawes, a three-time Olympian in gymnastics and member of the "Magnificent Seven," the only U.S. women's team to win gold in gymnastics; 2008 Olympic gold medalist wrestler Henry Cejudo; and track star Jackie Joyner-Kersee, a three-time gold medalist who grew up in East St. Louis, Ill.
In a brief interview, Joyner-Kersee, a supporter of Chicago's bid from the start, said the athletes did not try to persuade Obama to make the trip to Copenhagen.
"I think it is so important to respect the president, and what he's doing right now," citing Obama's commitment to health care reform. "It's not only respect to him but also to this country."
After meeting with the Illinois congressional delegation earlier in the day, Daley told reporters that given all the problems the nation faces, it's understandable if Obama doesn't go to Denmark for the IOC meeting.
"I think if there is ever a possibility of coming he would," the mayor said, adding that the president has already been helpful by talking to various heads of state about the Chicago bid. Daley said he considers Chicago's chances for winning the bid to be even with the three remaining rivals.
He also highlighted the reception that Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., has planned Thursday evening with African ambassadors.
"These 17 African nations are really the swing votes" with the IOC, Daley said.
___

Associated Press writer Dennis Conrad contributed to this report.
Related Searches:

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016