daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #5541
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
Why we have to choose Rio?

Olympic in Rio is the copy of Pan American games. People want to see new cities. Rio 2016 is too close to Rio 2007. Lets go with different cities.

Olympic games in USA are boring. See SLC or Atlanta.

Sto games in Europe.

So best solution is Tokyo without doubts. And TOjyo has best olympic clusters.
Best solution? Well, if you're putting Madrid as too close to London, then Tokyo is too close to Beijing, leaving Chicago and Tokio..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #5542
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Why we have to choose Rio?

Olympic in Rio is the copy of Pan American games. People want to see new cities. Rio 2016 is too close to Rio 2007. Lets go with different cities.

Olympic games in USA are boring. See SLC or Atlanta.

Sto games in Europe.

So best solution is Tokyo without doubts. And TOjyo has best olympic clusters.
I know Chicago will do an excellent job if they win, if you haven't been to the city before you really shouldn't comment. Chicago could certainly hold one of the best Olympics in a very long time. It's a wonderful city.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM   #5543
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Best solution? Well, if you're putting Madrid as too close to London, then Tokyo is too close to Beijing, leaving Chicago and Tokio..
One of problems of Tokyo. Second one are venues. They have to realiza too stadia. Except these problems, Tokyo has a fantastic bid.

Rio has many problems, clusters are not compact, transport awful, bid too close to Pan American games, 2 years after an other big event...

Madrid has a no good bid, reading the judgment of commission.

Chicago has the most expensive bid, but economic problem. Seems to be too fragil from an economic point of view.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #5544
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I know Chicago will do an excellent job if they win, if you haven't been to the city before you really shouldn't comment. Chicago could certainly hold one of the best Olympics in a very long time. It's a wonderful city.
No, in U.S.A. I have visited NYC and Boston only.
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5545
RobH

Likes (Received): 10337

Quote:
True. But generally Olympic games in USA are not interesting, too commercial, venues awful...

Japan means innovation and if you read the 2 bid books you can see the difference. But this is a my opinion only.
I've seen the bid books and read the evaluation report and I feel another gigantic Asian games is too much after Beijing, for me at least. I love Chicago's intimate city-centred Games concept. The stadium is right there in the middle of the city, the sailing events by the city's shoreline not miles away. It's the best American bid I've seen for a while and would love it to follow on from London.

I can certainly see the appeal of Tokyo's Island concept and their huge volcano-like stadium, but it doesn't do it for me. Sorry.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5546
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I've seen the bid books and read the evaluation report and I feel another gigantic Asian games is too much after Beijing, for me at least. I love Chicago's intimate city-centred Games concept. The stadium is right there in the middle of the city, the sailing events by the city's shoreline not miles away. It's the best American bid I've seen for a while and would love it to follow on from London.

I can certainly see the appeal of Tokyo's Island concept and their huge volcano-like stadium, but it doesn't do it for me. Sorry.
Don't worry. I see your point of view.

You follow a romantic olympic games, I follow an Olympic games that gives innovation.

Mine and yours 're two different points of view.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #5547
RobH

I'm not sure that's completely right. I might change my mind in a few years and support a more Tokyo-esque bid. In this race I like what I see from Chicago though.

How can I best explain this?

I ate a massive chocolate cake last week (in Beijing) and I don't want another for a little while. That doesn't mean I won't ever crave chocolate cake again.

------

Speaking of cakes....

London Olympic Park made of cake

or what?
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM   #5548
Mr.Underground
BANNED

So do you think Tokyo is too similar to Beijing?

It 's my fear also.

Like I wrote in japanese tread I'd like to see an edition of Olympic Games in these cities:

EUROPE:

- Milan
- Lisbon
- Amsterdam
- Budapest
- Prague
- Saint Petersburg or Moscow again
- Istanbul

ASIA:

- Tokyo
- Dubai
- Doha

AMERICAS:

- NYC
- San Francisco
- Buenos Ayres

OCEANIA:

- Melbourne
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:34 AM   #5549
SVN2007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
So do you think Tokyo is too similar to Beijing?

It 's my fear also.

Like I wrote in japanese tread I'd like to see an edition of Olympic Games in these cities:

EUROPE:

- Milan
- Lisbon
- Amsterdam
- Budapest
- Prague
- Saint Petersburg or Moscow again
- Istanbul

ASIA:

- Tokyo
- Dubai
- Doha

AMERICAS:

- NYC
- San Francisco
- Buenos Ayres

OCEANIA:

- Melbourne
I think that all these cities would be a good option less Buenos Aires. The last Crises in Argentina let this country in not so good situation. I think they have more priorities for their population and definitely they don't have structure and money to organize an OG. Besides Rio, Santiago in Chile should be a better option than Bs As in my opinion..
SVN2007 no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM   #5550
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Chicago 2016 - Security, Poll, Protest Rally
Monday, September 21, 2009 11:42am EDT GB Staff
Font size:

The Sun Times reports a "clout-heavy" security firm will be travelling with Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, the Chicago 2016 bid team, and an "ever-growing" delegation to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) meeting in Copenhagen next month where the host city for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games will be elected.
The firm, Monterrey Security, will reportedly stand guard over "proprietary" materials, and possibly a recorded message from U.S. President Barack Obama, as well as any final rehearsals first lady Michelle Obama, Mayor Daley, and others make before Chicago's formal pitch before the IOC on October 2.

Chicago 2016 CEO Patrick Ryan said, "it's a competition that has a lot of proprietary information that each of the bid cities would be allowed to protect. People can have something new they're going to present that they want to keep confidential".

Meanwhile, according to a Chicago Tribune poll held this month, there's a split vote for Chicago's bid among the residents. Forty seven per cent support the bid while 45 per cent oppose it.

Just days ahead of the IOC's vote the protest Group No Games Chicago is sponsoring a protest rally on Tuesday, September 29, at 5:30 p.m. at Chicago City Hal

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic...216134682.html
Monterey are a terrible firm, I've had run-ins with them in Soldier Field and Toyota Park and their main office, they're incompetent. If this is the sort of firm who will get Olympics business, friends of the Mayor......then I hope we don't get it. Speaking purely from a taxpayer.
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5551
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
So do you think

- Melbourne
You seem to be very empty at the top floor as u hav forgotten wat the 5 Olympic rings mean, or ur geography is poor in the sense that u forgot Africa. WTF Dubai & Doha
Remember how was Doha shown the exit unceremoniously for just being an ugly display of wealth bid. In a sense that they giv citizenship to African athletes to win medals running into millions. If dumb heads like u sit in Ioc or any such forum, the Olympic movement will die. Sorry buddy, u see
to b an anamily to watever Japan stands for.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5552
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
You seem to be very empty at the top floor as u hav forgotten wat the 5 Olympic rings mean, or ur geography is poor in the sense that u forgot Africa. WTF Dubai & Doha
Remember how was Doha shown the exit unceremoniously for just being an ugly display of wealth bid. In a sense that they giv citizenship to African athletes to win medals running into millions. If dumb heads like u sit in Ioc or any such forum, the Olympic movement will die. Sorry buddy, u see
to b an anamily to watever Japan stands for.
It is simple. There are no african cities that ar able to organize an Olympic Games belonged to 3rd millenium, from Egypt to Cape Town. No cities is able to realize this grand event.

You can be astonished but africans cities have not enough power.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5553
New York City 20??

After South Africa hosts what is looking to be a successful FIFA World Cup next year, I'm sure there will be lots of good will for them to put forth a bid for the Olympic Games in the 2020's.
New York City 20?? no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:41 PM   #5554
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York City 20?? View Post
After South Africa hosts what is looking to be a successful FIFA World Cup next year, I'm sure there will be lots of good will for them to put forth a bid for the Olympic Games in the 2020's.
Olympic games ask more a stadium and hotels. Public transport and a lot of venues that in Africa will be very hatf to realize.

Have economic difficulties city like Chicago, image Cape Town or Il Cairo. And the n, that countries have other prioities that an Olympic Games.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5555
Tico_ES
Going, Going, Gone

despite the south african's candidacy for the '04 OG has not had success, Cape Town could announce a new one for '24 or maybe '28 games. I do believe that they would be prepared to host an amazing OG.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5556
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico_ES View Post
despite the south african's candidacy for the '04 OG has not had success, Cape Town could announce a new one for '24 or maybe '28 games. I do believe that they would be prepared to host an amazing OG.
I thin there are new sparkling countrie before South Africa, e.g. Turkey or India.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5557
RobH

2010 is surely the year that will prove you wrong, or at least make that position difficult to justify Mr Underground.

South Africa will host a memorable world cup and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see many craving an African Olympics after having watched it.

India will host the Commonwealth Games, an event which they are really struggling to meet deadlines for. If they pull it off, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. I don't believe what we'll see in India next year will lead to many claiming they could host an Olympics.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #5558
Mr.Underground
BANNED

And about an Olympi Game in Dubai, what do you think?

Remember the econimc power rules the worldof the Olympic Games.

And let me know a your opinion about Games in my city, Milan.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM   #5559
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Personally, I think the following cities should hold the Olympics:

North America
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Toronto
San Francisco

South America
Rio
Sao Paulo
Lima

Europe
Istanbul
Lisbon
Warsaw
Moscow
Rotterdam

Africa
Cairo
Kenya

Asia
Osaka
Delhi
Doha
Dubai
Kuala Lumpur
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:11 AM   #5560
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
True. But generally Olympic games in USA are not interesting, too commercial, venues awful...

Japan means innovation and if you read the 2 bid books you can see the difference. But this is a my opinion only.
Japan means innovation? Los Angeles was the first city to ever use an Olympic Village. As well as the Olympic podium. Los Angeles is the only city to make a profit during the Olympics.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016