daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #5561
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

^um, kenya?

I really like the idea of olympics being held in traditionally lesser developed regions. If it weren't for my home city bidding for 2016, I would fully support Rio's bid, Also I think Istanbul should bid, I think they would be a prime candidate. I think a place like cape town could bid in a few years, especially if the world cup goes well, which I think it will. Also sometime in the future I think an Indian city should get one, but currently I don't think any are capable of winning an olympics
Kapow32 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM   #5562
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow32 View Post
^um, kenya?
Nairobi.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #5563
Rochele
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
This is not true.

Rio de Janeiro is the city not wonderful that you say

I'm here and know this
Rochele no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 AM   #5564
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochele View Post
Rio de Janeiro is the city not wonderful that you say

I'm here and know this
Ok, I'm here too. I know it has some problems, but the majority wants the Olympic Games here.

We have a high public support.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #5565
JR Nazareth

Chicago residents are campaigning for the candidacy of Rio 2016

Writing SRZD | Rio + | 23/09/2009 08:27
Print | E-mail | RSS

The candidature of Rio de Janeiro to host the Olympics in 2016 won an unexpected ally in the final stretch of the race. Residents of one of the competitors, Chicago (United States), decided to support the Rio 2016 and launched a campaign for the state capital on the Internet. In www.chicagoansforrio.com site, they claim that the Rio is chosen by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

"It would be interesting to host the Olympics here in Chicago. But you know what would be even better? Rio de Janeiro. Let the RIO host the 2016 Olympics. We do not care. Honestly," says the text of the American site.

Those responsible for the campaign even compare the two cities. A scoreboard shows the increase in public deficit and the Chicago / Rio appears without deficit. But instead of whether it conducted research on the economy of the state, they explain only that "those who live in Chicago is not interested if the Rio will take damage. One of the links also shows that 12 occurrences were recorded in police areas of Chicago, where they happen a few competitions. Another icon refers to a virtual shop of the movement, where they are sold T-shirts, mugs and bags against the American election that cost between $ 11.99 and $ 29.99.

The winning city will be announced on 2 October in Copenhagen, Denmark. In addition to Rio and Chicago, are in dispute Madrid (Spain) and Tokyo (Japan).

(In Portuguese)http://www.sidneyrezende.com/noticia...ra+do+rio+2016

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5566
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Speaking of cakes....

London Olympic Park made of cake

or what?
London's not the first place that comes to mind as a global center for great cuisine, but that hints this may be the best tasting Olympic games ever!! Either that or it's a ploy to fatten up visiting athletes!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5567
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3721

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Japan means innovation? Los Angeles was the first city to ever use an Olympic Village. As well as the Olympic podium. Los Angeles is the only city to make a profit during the Olympics.
you guys made a profit? now THAT makes it an unforgettable games
Eddard Stark está en línea ahora  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5568
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Japan means innovation? Los Angeles was the first city to ever use an Olympic Village. As well as the Olympic podium. Los Angeles is the only city to make a profit during the Olympics.
Atlanta profited by about $10-15M USD. Not much of a return on the approximate $630M invested, but a profit none the less. To say nothing of the long-term benefits of some redevelopment.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM   #5569
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
you guys made a profit? now THAT makes it an unforgettable games
Well..YEAH. LA 1984 has widely been praised as one of the best Olympic games ever.

And it took Montreal over 30 years to pay off the debt they made in 1976.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5570
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5785

'The Most Popular Politician on Earth'

Obama?? I don´t think so.

He grew up so poor, he didn't find out what bread was until he was 7. That was Lula's age when he climbed onto a flatbed truck with his Brazilian dirt-farmer family and all their possessions and made the 1,900-mile journey from the country's northeastern dustbowl for a life in the slums of São Paulo. He dropped out of school in the fifth grade, shined shoes on the street, and went to work in a factory at 14, losing a finger to a lathe in an accident on the graveyard shift at an auto-parts plant. Eventually he rose through the rank and file to become an internationally respected union leader. A military junta ruled Brazil back then, and strikes were illegal, but he defied the generals and the bosses and practically shut down the continent's industrial powerhouse in the name of the steelworkers.

He's in New York this week to kick off the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly. The cameras may focus on the embodiment of American cool, Barack Obama, or on flamboyant autocrats and chest thumpers like Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Venezuela's Hugo Chávez, but the biggest star on hand will be the blunt, bearded onetime lathe operator: Brazil's president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. After nearly seven tumultuous years in office, the man everyone calls Lula continues to enjoy an approval rating above 70 percent. That would be a remarkable feat anywhere, never mind in a continent where presidents are a disposable commodity. "That's my man right there," Obama greeted him at the G20 summit in London in April. "The most popular politician on earth."

How da Silva earned such acclaim says plenty about how wealth and power are shifting in this postcrash age. With his leadership, Brazil has withstood the global crisis better than almost any other nation: not a single bank went under, inflation is low, and the economy is growing again. "People doubted it when I said we would be the last to fall into recession and the first out," Lula told NEWSWEEK in an exclusive interview. "But just wait and see, this December. We are going to create a million jobs this year." That's not as good as it may sound: a million jobs would only just about replace the jobs his country has lost since October 2008. But Brazil is looking pretty good compared with most places; it's outpacing Russia and joining India and China—the other big emerging powers tagged collectively BRICs—to lead the way back to global economic growth. Gone are the days when, as Goldman Sachs chief economist Jim O'Neill jokingly recalls, "people told me I put the B in BRICs to make the acronym sound better."

Brazil's man of the moment says he couldn't give a fig for the polls. "If you have flawed policies and try to sell them with false publicity, your ratings won't last," he says. But the question now is whether he can continue to parlay his own star power into gains for Brazil—and, more pointedly, whether he is about to throw away much of what he has accomplished as president. He has just 15 months to go in office, and his favored successor, chief of staff Dilma Rousseff, has little national name recognition and none of her boss's charm. Despite his overwhelming popularity, recent polls say she's running a distant second and losing ground to the opposition's choice, São Paulo Gov. José Serra. "Lula's aura is not transferable," remarks Donna Hrinak, a former U.S. ambassador to Brazil. To compensate, the former labor firebrand has begun doing just what his critics feared when he first took office in 2003: tightening government control of the economy, looking the other way when key allies are caught with their hands in the public till, and spraying money about with abandon.

In the name of helping poor and working-class Brazilians—but with a close eye on next year's election—da Silva has repeatedly pumped up the minimum wage (up 67 percent since 2003, nearly 40 percent over the pace of inflation) and is boosting government pay and pensions, a move that can only add to the next administration's troubles. "We have to give a little more to those who earn less," Lula says. Yet that's the sort of populist talk that gives many the chills. "The risk is the legacy of fixed expenditures and budget commitments that Lula will leave for the future," warns former finance minister Mailson da Nóbrega. The public payroll is growing at more than 10 times the rate of public investment in roads, bridges, and ports. Meanwhile, da Silva has done nothing to ease the country's total tax burden, the highest in the emerging markets at 36 percent of GDP. And when Senate leader and former president José Sarney, who controls a key block of votes in the allied Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, came under fire for handing out jobs to cronies and kin, Lula rushed to his defense, saying Sarney "could not be treated like an ordinary person"—an odd choice of words, coming from a man of the people.

Still, if there's one constant truth about Lula, it is that things are subject to change. "I am a walking metamorphosis," he likes to say, quoting the 1970s Brazilian cult singer Raul Seixas. On the surface, he bears no more than a faint resemblance to the roughcut union man of 30 years ago, or even to the politician he became in the '80s and '90s, stumping for the poor and forgotten till he went hoarse. The once black curls and unkempt beard are neatly trimmed now and shot through with gray. In place of his old stained workshirt and denim bell-bottoms, he dresses in smart suits tailored to flatter his barrel of a body. His lifelong lisp has lessened, and long hours of practice have refined his shop-floor grammar and vocabulary. The man who took office saying he would be content to improve the lot of the Brazilian poor is now convinced of Brazil's mission to transform the world. "Brazil is a country with solid, democratic institutions," he says. "We have shown nations some lessons about how to confront the economic crisis."
And yet in deeper ways he's the same as ever. He still speaks in the sandpaper basso profundo that electrified his fellow metalworkers. And for all his polished manners and fine clothes, nothing vexes Lula more than being trapped in his office. "He gets nervous when he spends too much time at his desk," says his cabinet chief, Gilberto Carvalho. "He says, 'I need to get out and travel, and meet people.' His connection is with the little guy." The president likes nothing more than to ditch protocol, go off script, and (to the despair of his security detail) wade into an adoring crowd. Nevertheless, to his credit, he has resisted his followers' urgings to amend the Constitution so he can seek a third term and warns against the false high of celebrity. "Popularity is like blood pressure," he says. "Sometimes it's high and sometimes it's low. What you need is to keep it under control."

That's a skill he acquired the hard way. Starting in 1989, he ran for president three times, surging in early polls only to hit a wall on voting day. By the late '90s he was on the verge of quitting politics. Instead, he did something bolder: he remade himself. He stopped his fist-waving harangues, climbed into a suit, and hired a speech coach and a marketing wizard. More important, he tempered his leftist politics. The turning point was June 2002. He was ahead in the polls, but Brazil's economy was tanking—largely, it seemed, because investors were spooked by the prospect of President Lula. He responded with a "Letter to the Brazilian People," pledging to honor contracts, pay down the country's debts, abide by the International Monetary Fund's requirements, and generally play by the rules of the market. It was the gamble of his career, the political equivalent of tacking into a hurricane. Hardliners from his Workers Party (PT) accused him of betraying and caving in to bankers and capitalist carpetbaggers. Business executives were also wary: could the "new" Lula be trusted? Investors sat on their hands.

He won by a landslide, but the hard work had only begun. The pre-election financial turmoil had gutted economic growth and forced a steep devaluation of Brazil's currency. "It wasn't easy," recalls Lula. "We had no foreign credit. Our [hard currency] reserves were extremely low. Inflation was showing strong signs of resurgence. The economy was gridlocked." But an even bigger challenge was to live down the hard-left image he and the ruling PT had acquired over the years. "We took office amid a huge crisis of mistrust," says Carvalho, his cabinet chief and a longtime friend. "We were a minority in Congress. The press was skeptical." After all, Carvalho allows, "Until then everything we'd stood for was not paying the foreign debt, raising salaries. It would have been a disaster."
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM   #5571
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Likes (Received): 21

Lula has the easiest job in the world

The New York Times
By GEORGE VECSEY
Published: September 22, 2009

The easiest job in the world belongs to Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, as he supports Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics.

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva wants the 2016 Games in Brazil. “We’re not this tiny country people thought,” he said.

All da Silva has to do is say “Rio has the most beautiful beaches in the world,” and he has an instant audience.

He made this simple statement Tuesday in throaty Portuguese, with English translation, and right away I was picturing the long foamy waves and Corcovado in the background and, well, all right, I was also picturing “The Girl From Ipanema.”

In a week or so, da Silva will fly to Copenhagen for the Oct. 2 vote by the International Olympic Committee that will decide from among Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid and Rio. He will undoubtedly mention beaches. But he will also push his other talking points: Brazil is an emerging economic giant and it deserves to represent South America, which has never hosted the Olympics.

A union man, a former lathe worker, da Silva talks with passion about poor kids from Brazil or Argentina or Colombia who could “hop on a bus or a truck” to see the Games. It is not clear that any of the 106 voting members of the I.O.C. will care about this populist sentiment.

In New York to visit the United Nations on his way to Pittsburgh for the G-20 economic summit on Thursday and Friday, da Silva will then go to Copenhagen. He is following in the path of Prime Minister Tony Blair, who flew to Singapore in 2005 and chatted up I.O.C. members, apparently so successfully that London was chosen for 2012.

And then there was Vladimir V. Putin, who as Russia’s president traveled to Guatemala City in 2007 and turned on his K.G.B. charm until the city of Sochi was chosen to hold the 2014 Winter Games.

After those two missions, the folk wisdom is that it does not hurt to have a head of state work the room before the members take their secret vote.

“I have information on how London won,” da Silva said. “And yes, Blair talked to a lot of people.” Sebastian Coe, the head of the London organizing committee and a gold-medal runner, is also said to have turned a few delegates as London stunned Paris to win the vote for 2012. But the point was made: schmoozing just might work.

With that in mind, Japan’s new Prime Minister, Yukio Hatoyama, is considering traveling to Copenhagen and King Juan Carlos of Spain is expected to attend. But President Obama has said he is not going.

“I would make a case in Copenhagen personally if I was not so firmly committed into making real the promise of quality affordable health care for every American,” Obama said recently, adding, “But the good news is I am sending a more compelling superstar to represent the city and country we love and that is our first lady.”

Asked if it was helpful for a head of state to attend the meeting, da Silva volunteered that he has been talking to I.O.C. members for two years. When somebody noted that Michelle Obama would represent the United States in Copenhagen, da Silva said he was bringing his wife with him, “so it will be two against one.”

More damaging than the absence of President Obama is the reality that the acting chief executive officer of the United States Olympic Committee, Stephanie A. Streeter, and the president, Larry Probst, have relatively little standing in the I.O.C., which is known for clubbiness and contacts.

The I.O.C. president, Jacques Rogge, has said, rather ominously, that disputes with the U.S.O.C. about revenue sharing and a proposed Olympic network in the United States will have “no negative effects whatsoever” on Chicago’s chances. The generally attractive plan by the great city of Chicago could be offset because some I.O.C. members are still unhappy over losing their perks in bid cities after revelations that favors helped bring the 1996 Summer Games to Atlanta and the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City.

All four finalist cities for 2016 received good reports by the bid committee earlier this month. The strongest criticism of Rio mentioned violence, but da Silva said Brazil had not suffered an overt terrorist attack, and he told how poor youth from Brazil’s slums had helped quell robberies during recent sports events.

Speaking to invited representatives of about a dozen news outlets, da Silva made the point that Brazil has the largest economy of any nation that has not yet held the Summer Games. He stressed the development of oil fields off the Brazil coast and the nation’s aircraft industry.

“We’re not this tiny country people thought,” he said.

He noted that Brazil will be the host for the World Cup of soccer in 2014, and said infrastructure would be created for the tournament that would be useful in 2016. But the best infrastructure of all might be the sand and the waves.

Wait a minute: the 2016 Summer Games will be in August, which just happens to be late winter south of the Equator. However, a check of the weather for Rio in August revealed an average high of 76 degrees Fahrenheit and an average low 64 (24 to 18 centigrade). Very nice for walking on the beach, somebody from the bid committee reassured me. No doubt da Silva will mention this to the I.O.C. members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/sp...sq=lula&st=cse
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5572
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #5573
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Obama?? I don´t think so.

"
Lula who?? Oh, him.. LOL

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM   #5574
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5785

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Lula who?? Oh, him.. LOL
ye, because even tough China and India has 1/2 of world´s population the world resumes to USA only.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #5575
JR Nazareth

Rio 2016 neutralizes the carbon emitted during the Olympic bid

The Rio 2016 Committee signed yesterday by planting 3580 trees, which aim to neutralize all the carbon emitted during the application period of the city to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016.

The event, held at the Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro, was part of the celebrations of National Day of the Tree, and was attended by the Minister for the Environment, Carlos Minc, the State Secretary of Environment, Marilene Ramos, and the superintendent of operations of the Rio 2016, Carlos Luiz Martins.

Concern for the environment is one of the pillars of Rio 2016. The 3580 seedlings are part of the project "Carbon Zero - Rio 2016, the State Government, which planted 46 thousand trees in 21 days. In total, the Committee Rio 2016 neutralizes 716 tonnes of carbon, for the period September 2007 to October 2009. "I'm happy to see more and more people fighting for the environment. Brazil has a plan for studying climate change and aims to reduce carbon levels. Let's bring the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro and hold a competition totally green, "said Minister Carlos Minc.

The inhibition of the carbon is not a new idea for the 2016 bid. In the Application Dossier, submitted to the International Olympic Committee, given the proposed "Green Games", with the planting of more than three million trees in strategic areas of the Tijuca Forest. The initiative will leave a legacy as the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) in the neighboring communities, enhancing the regeneration projects of the National Park of Pedra Branca, Tijuca Forest and the surrounding sports facilities and mangrove lagoons of Barra da Tijuca.

"Nothing better than enjoying the celebrations for National Tree Day to celebrate the planting of seedlings that will neutralize the carbon emitted during the 2016 bid. We are confident that on 2 October, Rio de Janeiro be chosen to host the 2016 Olympic Games, "said Secretary Marilene Ramos.

The event was attended by approximately 100 children in some schools of Rio de Janeiro. They received seedlings and bag while in order to encourage reduced use of plastic bags. "These are young athletes, organizers and supporters of the 2016 Olympic Games. And it can celebrate winning the medal green champions of ecology and the environment. The Brazilians have shown an environmental awareness increasing, and the proposed application to a zero carbon reinforces these beliefs before the International Olympic Committee, "said Luiz Carlos Martins.

(In Portuguese) http://www.ojogo.pt/Directo/NoticiaH...909_176398.asp

www.rio2016.com.br
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #5576
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Oprah going to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago Olympics

September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | 8 Comments | UPDATED STORY
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey will travel to Copenhagen to help pitch Chicago for the 2016 Summer Olympics, the city's bid committee announced today.

"We are very honored and excited to have Oprah Winfrey travel to Copenhagen," said Patrick G. Ryan, chairman and CEO of Chicago 2016.

She will be a part of the official delegation, which is expected to be led by First Lady Michelle Obama.

Also traveling to Copenhagen for the city's final pitch Oct. 2 are five track and field gold medalists and 21 other Olympic and Paralympic athletes.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-olympics.html
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #5577
infernal

Likes (Received): 2

This has turned into a which famous person is going Olympic bid, instead of the city that truly deserves it!
infernal no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #5578
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal View Post
This has turned into a which famous person is going Olympic bid, instead of the city that truly deserves it!
Both Rio and Chicago deserve the games, there is no argument there. I agree the rules should be changed however. This popularity contest is stupid. But since the rules are the same as last time, whatever it takes to win. Neither Rio nor Chicago can do anything to change the formula.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #5579
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

if Oprah is going this is over. Chicago 2016!
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5580
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal View Post
They both reside from Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx View Post
if Oprah is going this is over. Chicago 2016!
You beat me to this statement.
Ganis no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016