daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #5581
Chiricano

Likes (Received): 0

Rio de Janeiro..

BOQUETE, CHIRIQUI
Ser Panameño es un orgullo, pero ser Chiricano es una bendición de Dios.
Chiricano no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5582
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

If I haven't made it clear til now, I'm gonna say that RIO all the way!
10 V=ULTIMATE L

Last edited by Wey; September 24th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5583
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16986

I want Chicago to get it , Tokyo and Madrid have already had it , and a new city should have it, RIO is a world class city , but it needs some more work, i would be more comfortable is Buenos Aires got it or Santiago
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5584
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Likes (Received): 347

I don't think Rio is the best city of these four.
But if the Olympic games be used as a development opportunity for the city than I believe Rio is the best option!
what do you think?

"...Igual que el trébol campero crezco sin hacer barullo,
me apreto contra los yuyos y así lo aguanto al pampero."
Mares de Morros_XXI no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5585
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I want Chicago to get it , Tokyo and Madrid have already had it , and a new city should have it, RIO is a world class city , but it needs some more work, i would be more comfortable is Buenos Aires got it or Santiago
what you mean with "more work"?

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5586
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áporo View Post
The New York Times
By GEORGE VECSEY
Published: September 22, 2009

The easiest job in the world belongs to Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, as he supports Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics.

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva wants the 2016 Games in Brazil. “We’re not this tiny country people thought,” he said.

All da Silva has to do is say “Rio has the most beautiful beaches in the world,” and he has an instant audience.

He made this simple statement Tuesday in throaty Portuguese, with English translation, and right away I was picturing the long foamy waves and Corcovado in the background and, well, all right, I was also picturing “The Girl From Ipanema.”

In a week or so, da Silva will fly to Copenhagen for the Oct. 2 vote by the International Olympic Committee that will decide from among Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid and Rio. He will undoubtedly mention beaches. But he will also push his other talking points: Brazil is an emerging economic giant and it deserves to represent South America, which has never hosted the Olympics.

A union man, a former lathe worker, da Silva talks with passion about poor kids from Brazil or Argentina or Colombia who could “hop on a bus or a truck” to see the Games. It is not clear that any of the 106 voting members of the I.O.C. will care about this populist sentiment.

In New York to visit the United Nations on his way to Pittsburgh for the G-20 economic summit on Thursday and Friday, da Silva will then go to Copenhagen. He is following in the path of Prime Minister Tony Blair, who flew to Singapore in 2005 and chatted up I.O.C. members, apparently so successfully that London was chosen for 2012.

And then there was Vladimir V. Putin, who as Russia’s president traveled to Guatemala City in 2007 and turned on his K.G.B. charm until the city of Sochi was chosen to hold the 2014 Winter Games.

After those two missions, the folk wisdom is that it does not hurt to have a head of state work the room before the members take their secret vote.

“I have information on how London won,” da Silva said. “And yes, Blair talked to a lot of people.” Sebastian Coe, the head of the London organizing committee and a gold-medal runner, is also said to have turned a few delegates as London stunned Paris to win the vote for 2012. But the point was made: schmoozing just might work.

With that in mind, Japan’s new Prime Minister, Yukio Hatoyama, is considering traveling to Copenhagen and King Juan Carlos of Spain is expected to attend. But President Obama has said he is not going.

“I would make a case in Copenhagen personally if I was not so firmly committed into making real the promise of quality affordable health care for every American,” Obama said recently, adding, “But the good news is I am sending a more compelling superstar to represent the city and country we love and that is our first lady.”

Asked if it was helpful for a head of state to attend the meeting, da Silva volunteered that he has been talking to I.O.C. members for two years. When somebody noted that Michelle Obama would represent the United States in Copenhagen, da Silva said he was bringing his wife with him, “so it will be two against one.”

More damaging than the absence of President Obama is the reality that the acting chief executive officer of the United States Olympic Committee, Stephanie A. Streeter, and the president, Larry Probst, have relatively little standing in the I.O.C., which is known for clubbiness and contacts.

The I.O.C. president, Jacques Rogge, has said, rather ominously, that disputes with the U.S.O.C. about revenue sharing and a proposed Olympic network in the United States will have “no negative effects whatsoever” on Chicago’s chances. The generally attractive plan by the great city of Chicago could be offset because some I.O.C. members are still unhappy over losing their perks in bid cities after revelations that favors helped bring the 1996 Summer Games to Atlanta and the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City.

All four finalist cities for 2016 received good reports by the bid committee earlier this month. The strongest criticism of Rio mentioned violence, but da Silva said Brazil had not suffered an overt terrorist attack, and he told how poor youth from Brazil’s slums had helped quell robberies during recent sports events.

Speaking to invited representatives of about a dozen news outlets, da Silva made the point that Brazil has the largest economy of any nation that has not yet held the Summer Games. He stressed the development of oil fields off the Brazil coast and the nation’s aircraft industry.

“We’re not this tiny country people thought,” he said.

He noted that Brazil will be the host for the World Cup of soccer in 2014, and said infrastructure would be created for the tournament that would be useful in 2016. But the best infrastructure of all might be the sand and the waves.

Wait a minute: the 2016 Summer Games will be in August, which just happens to be late winter south of the Equator. However, a check of the weather for Rio in August revealed an average high of 76 degrees Fahrenheit and an average low 64 (24 to 18 centigrade). Very nice for walking on the beach, somebody from the bid committee reassured me. No doubt da Silva will mention this to the I.O.C. members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/sp...sq=lula&st=cse

I think the nytimes exaggerated in this news

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #5587
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

Quote:
I want Chicago to get it , Tokyo and Madrid have already had it
Madrid has never hosted an Olympics.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #5588
SVN2007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Maybe Santiago in fact would be a good option ... But Buenos Aires ????
SVN2007 no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5589
H.E. Pennypacker

Quote:
you're thinking of Barcelona

H.E. Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5590
H.E. Pennypacker

I would like to see it in Rio b/c it gives me an excuse to visit, nice city
infrastructure will be improved because of the 2014 World Cup and 07 Pan Am Games, so it shouldn't be a problem
they will have many of the major stadiums built/improved by 2014

plus I want Toronto to get the 2020 games so its best Chicago not get it
H.E. Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5591
JR Nazareth

Senate approves government guarantees for Rio 2016

Posted on 22/09/2009 at 18h21m

RIO - The Committee on Education, Culture and Sports of the Senate adopted on Tuesday in the final decision, the Olympic Act, which provides guarantees for the 64th Rio's bid to host the Olympics in 2016. The Act also creates special rules for the Games if the city is the winner in the election of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), held at the 2nd of October.

In the Olympic Act, the federal government reiterates its commitment to the investment needs of Games and ensures the provision of services before and during the event. The document also provides legal, specific and limited period to meet the requirements of the IOC. For the Olympic Act, guarantees the creation of the "Public Authority Olympic (PDB), formed by federal, state and city of Rio, to centralize in one agency coordination of all public works and services of the Olympics, as well as oversee the legacy after the event. The letter of intent for the creation of the PDB had been signed on January 16 by Minister Orlando Silva Junior, the governor of Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Cabral, the mayor of the city, Eduardo Paes.

The guarantees are setting up a regulatory agency of transportation and traffic during the event; determination that school holidays coincide with the period suggested for the Games; adjustments in the process of visas to foreign nationals linked to the games, permission to use goods , property and equipment belonging to the need for the Games, special rules for import, export and movement of materials and equipment related to the Games; control hotel rates, compliance with accessibility standards national and international rules on doping control in line with the rules of WADA; security measures for the city, among others.

Legacies of the guarantees are secured, for example, construction and project financing of transport infrastructure in the city, increasing the flow capacity of passengers at airports, financial support for the revitalization of the waterfront, steps to protect the environment, and lines of credit for housing in villages after the Games, will become housing.

The document was signed by the Ministers of Sports, Orlando Silva Júnior; of Guido Mantega, Planning Minister Paulo Bernardo Silva, Justice, Tarso Genro, Defense Minister Nelson Jobim, Foreign Minister Celso Amorim; Labor and Employment Carlos Lupi, Health, José Sócrates, and Communications, Hélio Costa, and the executive secretary of the Institutional Security Office, General of division João Roberto de Oliveira, in a caretaker role holder.

(In Portuguese) http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio2016/...-767727618.asp

Rio 2016
Live Your Passion !!
www.rio2016.com.br

Last edited by JR Nazareth; September 24th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5592
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5760

Chicagoans For Rio Explain Their Case
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:16pm EDT GB Staff
Font size:

Chicagoans For Rio, told GamesBids.com they are a small group of private citizens that wanted to add a different perspective. They say they are "proud of our city, ... who love to show off our city, but who don't feel hosting the Olympics is necessary in order to do so".
The group has its own website, Chicagoansforrio.com, where the public is asked to send e-mails to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in support of Rio de Janeiro's bid for the 2016 Summer Games.

In an e-mail to GamesBids.com a spokesperson for the group wrote ,"our chief concern is financial. Our city is well know for building wonderful assets that are significantly over budget (Millennium Park being the latest example). So while the U.S. usually runs profitable Games, it's difficult to believe this city would be able to keep that streak alive".

The e-mail continued, "For those of us who can see both the upside and downside of hosting the Games, watching pep rallies in all 50 wards doesn't qualify as discussions. When our mayor says no tax payer money would be used to host the Games, we all know that's false, and it's statements like that which create a lack of trust about the bid.

"In addition, it's our belief that Chicago doesn't need the spotlight of the Olympics to show off our great city" said the e-mail, adding "last year, we attracted 45 million tourists".

"As for the response, it's been strong and roughly 90 per cent positive. Hundreds have submitted e-mails to the IOC, and one IOC office sent a response that said, 'We've been bombarded. You've made your point'. And really, we haven't made our point - our fellow Chicagoans have. It's nice they had a venue to do so".

When asked why the group decided to support Rio the spokesperson said, "it seems to be the strongest contender. Plus, they have Carnival, so the place is O.K. in our books".

Because the group says their goal has been accomplished no further action is planned said the spokesperson.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic...216134689.html
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #5593
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares de Morros_XXI View Post
I think the nytimes exaggerated in this news
The New York Times is one of the world's most trusted media outlets.

On another note-

2016 Score Card: President Edges Closer To Denmark
Reporting
Jay Levine CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Have you been keeping score?

The on-again, off-again saga of President Obama's potential trip to Copenhagen may be leaning toward on-again.

CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine heard from the White House Monday that the President is definitely not ruling out being there.

Two weeks ago, it was "not on the schedule." Last week, he couldn't commit "at this time." But Monday, an Obama administration official said the president is "preserving his option to go."

As the President took his two-day media blitz to New York, the White House hinted the door is still open for Copenhagen, too. The International Olympic Committee will decide Oct. 2 which of four cities -- Chicago, Tokyo, Madrid or Rio De Janeiro -- will host the Summer

Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett told Crain's Mr. Obama "would love to be there."

Meanwhile, Chicago 2016 Senior Vice President Doug Arnot said, "We have people traveling around the world right now who are on our team, who are lobbying IOC members."

But so is Brazil's 93-year-old delegate Joao Havelange, who's startled some observers by saying he has commitments from IOC members.

"I have received 20 replies, and they all say they plan to vote for our bid," Havelange said. He named names, including delegates from China, Hong Kong and Mexico.

"If I were to say that," Arnot said, "I would be sent home from wherever I was probably and chastised severely."

Arnot's a veteran of the Sydney and Atlanta games. He ran the successful 2007 World Boxing Championships in Chicago in 2007 and knows that with just under 11 days to go until the vote, you can't let up.

President Obama has already called IOC President Jacques Rogge, sent letters to all IOC voting members and personally spoken by phone with key members.

If he doesn't go himself, first lady Michelle Obama will play a leading role in Copenhagen. Mayor Daley said Monday that's a big plus for Chicago.

"She's from the South Side, she understands sports, she understands the competition, and she's be a great spokesman spokesperson on behalf of this country," the mayor said.

It'll take about 50 votes to win in the first round. No one expects that. 2012 winner London got just 22 votes in the first round four years ago.

"I believe it'll come down to the last minute in a 3rd round vote," Arnot said.

That vote will come one week from Friday. President Obama's being there, most believe, would greatly enhance Chicago's chances.
(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #5594
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

September 18, 2009

Will we get the 2016 Summer Olympics? Now it all comes down to the International Olympic Committee in Copenhagen on Oct. 2, when the 2016 host city will be selected.
Chicago is competing with Rio de Janeiro, Madrid and Tokyo.

» Click to enlarge image

ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7 reporter Ben Bradley (from left), NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5 reporter Phil Rogers and CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2 reporter Jay Levine have been covering the Olympics beat for the three local TV stations.

As the suspense builds, we asked longtime lead reporters on the Olympic beat at three local TV stations what they think will happen on Oct. 2:

BEN BRADLEY, WLS-CHANNEL 7
The first round of voting is incredibly dangerous for Chicago. The lowest vote-getter of the four cities will be bounced.

If you look at the race from a purely geopolitical perspective, Tokyo, Rio and Madrid each have many more naturally aligned voters. That means a city like Chicago -- widely perceived to be a front-runner -- could "accidentally" get eliminated early.

At its heart, this is a two-city race between Rio and Chicago. Rio's bid team is seductive and well-liked. Chicago's is trusted and solid.

If IOC members vote with their hearts, they'll pick Rio. If they vote with their heads, it'll be Chicago.

Why? It's simple: money.

While we in the Chicago media spend a lot of time focusing on the Olympic budget and the prospect of cost overruns, the reality is that Chicago proposes the least expensive Games plan for 2016.

Combine that with the fact the IOC's share of revenue typically increases by 20 percent when the Games are in the United States, and you get a pretty convincing argument.

The unknown factor is the "O" factor.

IOC members continue to be hyper-focused on whether President Obama will surprise everyone by joining his wife for the final pitch in Copenhagen.

As one IOC member recently told me: "Two is better than one."

The IOC president said this week he thinks just a few votes will separate the winner from the loser. If that's the case, one or two IOC members who feel snubbed by the president could kill Chicago's bid.

PHIL ROGERS, WMAQ-CHANNEL 5
President Obama could be a game-changer in the way this vote turns out.

Obama is still a superstar on the world stage, and if his presence in Copenhagen only swayed a couple of votes, that could make the difference in whether Chicago wins or loses.

Chicago's bid is solid, actually superior to the others in many ways. Rio has several major negatives, including crime, limited hotel accommodations and the likelihood that revenue generated from the Games would be less in Rio than in Chicago.

But there's also a huge emotional component to the Rio bid that can't be overlooked, and the Rio bid organizers have pushed it every chance they've had.

But if it is indeed true, as the IOC has said, that the vote won't be affected by whether or not President Obama is part of Chicago's final pitch on Oct. 2, then I believe Chicago will win.

JAY LEVINE, WBBM-CHANNEL 2
I think Chicago has a strong bid, but I think the outcome largely hinges on whether President Obama shows up in Copenhagen.

Why? One need only recall British Prime Minister Tony Blair's legendary appearance in Singapore, when the 2012 Summer Olympics host city vote was taken.

Paris was the favorite going in to Singapore, but Blair turned it around for London, and the city won.

Rio has enjoyed a surge in popularity in recent days, but the IOC is looking at the romance of Rio, not the reality. When it comes to security challenges alone, Rio is a nightmare.

Some have said President Obama doesn't want to go, because he's afraid the vote won't go Chicago's way. I don't believe that is the case. I think his health insurance concerns are legitimate.

If President Obama finally decides not to go to Copenhagen, I think it's a toss-up as to whether Rio or Chicago will win, with Rio having a slight edge.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5595
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Chicago Officials On the Way to Denmark for Olympic Announcement

The selection of a host city for the 2016 Olympics is eight days away, but leaders of the Chicago bid committee are traveling to Denmark Thursday to prepare.

On Oct. 2 in Copenhagen, each of the four cities vying for the Olympics will get 45 minutes to make a final presentation, and 15 minutes more to answer questions from members of the International Olympic Committee. The decision will come later that day.

Lori Healy, president of Chicago 2016, says they'll spend the week rehearsing the pitch, and schmoozing IOC members. "Certainly we�re gonna take the opportunity, as are all the candidate cities prior to the morning of the second, to do final rounds of meetings with IOC members and to continue to personally pitch our bid to those who vote," she said.

http://www.wgil.com/localnews.php?xn...009&newsid=486
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5596
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I want a new city to host Olympic Games. Rio hosted Pan American games 2 years ago, so I know what to wait from Rio.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #5597
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

...and yet you support Tokyo?
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5598
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
...and yet you support Tokyo?
Yes because Tokyo has a fantastic cluster more better other 3 bids. Location is fantastic and venues and olympic village seem to be very very interesting.

Tokyo 1964 is too far from 2016. The only problem is that is too close to Bejing but the bid is so fantastic that I support it.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5599
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

Again:Tokyo
S.T.Y AP no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #5600
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.Y AP View Post
Again:Tokyo
But you are brazilian, you should to support Rio. Why do you prefer a city not in your country?

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016