daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5661
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
Consumption is factored in to how GDP is calculated.
But there are other variables to take into account, and not all of them can be properly measured (like culture). Germany is known for having an outstanding purchase power, but in practic, they don't spend much of that money, instead, they put it on their savings whenever the economy goes down, differente from Spain, for instance.
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L

Last edited by Wey; September 26th, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
Wey no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5662
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis
 
JRQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: All of Virginia
Posts: 1,459
Likes (Received): 241

The European Union is a collection of nations. The United States is ONE nation. Take each individual nation against the U.S. in GDP, etc, and the U.S. far outreaches them.

I love how forumers supporting Rio are so quick to call foul, then turn around and completely act in a rude and inflammatory manner. No, it doesn't work like that. Rio is by FAR too dangerous to host a major international venue. A giant sign should be erected saying "Enter at your own risk."
These bogus claims of IOC votes are utterly ridiculous. Enough said. With Obama showing up in Copenhagen and supporting Chicago 2016, many undecided African nations will be inclined to vote for Chicago. Obama's family does hail from Kenya, by the way. Plus maybe being the most financially conservative, profitable, compact, etc, helps as well?

And by the way, I think it's funny that everyone makes fun of seccondcity for posting a page published by an online news source, and listing Rio as the Capitol of Brazil. When so many forumers from Rio have such completely broken, incorrect posts in English it's ridiculous. Make fun of yourself for your lack of educational skills before you start going off on other people.
__________________
____________

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5663
Cobucci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Barcelona
Posts: 3,058
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
And by the way, I think it's funny that everyone makes fun of seccondcity for posting a page published by an online news source, and listing Rio as the Capitol of Brazil. When so many forumers from Rio have such completely broken, incorrect posts in English it's ridiculous. Make fun of yourself for your lack of educational skills before you start going off on other people.
English is not our native language, but people try to write in English because they want to participate of this discussion, they want to be "heard". It's a comprehensible effort.

I don't blame secondcity. It was only a fact that draw my attention. A serious report negligence.

By the way, PanAm '07 made a huge deficit, not profit. But I believe that OG '16 could generate a lot of revenue for Rio. Even if the profit doesn't occurs, it'll have vital improvements "catalyzed" by OG '16.

Last edited by Cobucci; September 27th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #5664
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
The European Union is a collection of nations. The United States is ONE nation. Take each individual nation against the U.S. in GDP, etc, and the U.S. far outreaches them.

I love how forumers supporting Rio are so quick to call foul, then turn around and completely act in a rude and inflammatory manner. No, it doesn't work like that. Rio is by FAR too dangerous to host a major international venue. A giant sign should be erected saying "Enter at your own risk."
These bogus claims of IOC votes are utterly ridiculous. Enough said. With Obama showing up in Copenhagen and supporting Chicago 2016, many undecided African nations will be inclined to vote for Chicago. Obama's family does hail from Kenya, by the way. Plus maybe being the most financially conservative, profitable, compact, etc, helps as well?

And by the way, I think it's funny that everyone makes fun of seccondcity for posting a page published by an online news source, and listing Rio as the Capitol of Brazil. When so many forumers from Rio have such completely broken, incorrect posts in English it's ridiculous. Make fun of yourself for your lack of educational skills before you start going off on other people.
OMFG, you're such a disposable individual!!!

I ain't take my precious time to respond to your cries of stupidity and child behavior, I'm just gonna say that the really RIDICULOUS thing is to blame a person to try to communicate in a foreign and unfamiliar language because of a few errors, due only to the comfortness of an a-hole like you! If your country is so advanced and superior, I guess they would at least know the name of the world's eight biggest economy and second biggest nation in their own continent capital!

Furthermore, I hope all of your hopes get squirtly broken in dispair by Oct 2. I, at least, will enjoy it MUCH MORE if we do get the Olympics by knowing you will be devastated and unconsolable, will reall make my day, you horrible ungrateful person

PS. truly "Ignore Listed" by now
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #5665
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
By the way, PanAm '07 made a huge deficit, not profit.
For crying out loud! Even compatriots now!?

Show me the source for that claim.
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #5666
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
The European Union is a collection of nations. The United States is ONE nation. Take each individual nation against the U.S. in GDP, etc, and the U.S. far outreaches them.
Agreed. I don't understand why the EU was even brought up. But the EU as a whole does have a larger GDP than the US by some 4 trillion.
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5667
Cobucci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Barcelona
Posts: 3,058
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
For crying out loud! Even compatriots now!?

Show me the source for that claim.
Saying this doesn't mean that I don't support Rio 2016. But I'm sure that PanAm '07 made deficit. PanAm Games aren't a big event for host cities. They don't have too much opportunities with tourism. The major revenue of PanAm Games may be TV's rights of transmission. Rio waste a lot of money with PanAm Games. I don't need any source, it's smouldering.

But now the administration seems to be different. Things would be better, for sure, besides the fact of Olympics being more attractive for tourism and other earnings opportunities.

PS: Other Brazilians are being too much agressive in replies. Calm down!
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #5668
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
I don't need any source, it's smouldering.
Oh, that's a convincing argumment!

My turn.
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #5669
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,197
Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
And by the way, I think it's funny that everyone makes fun of seccondcity for posting a page published by an online news source, and listing Rio as the Capitol of Brazil. When so many forumers from Rio have such completely broken, incorrect posts in English it's ridiculous. Make fun of yourself for your lack of educational skills before you start going off on other people.
Si vous voulez je peux parler en francais, y en español!! What about you? Can you speak in Portuguese? smart one!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #5670
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,197
Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
And by the way, I think it's funny that everyone makes fun of seccondcity for posting a page published by an online news source, and listing Rio as the Capitol of Brazil. When so many forumers from Rio have such completely broken, incorrect posts in English it's ridiculous. Make fun of yourself for your lack of educational skills before you start going off on other people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Si vous voulez je peux parler en francais, y en español!! What about you? Can you speak in Portuguese? smart one!!
And By the way, none of us are reporter, but the ones who are should at least know about basic facts of one of the biggest countries in the World.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5671
Cobucci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Barcelona
Posts: 3,058
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
Oh, that's a convincing argumment!

My turn.
I don't believe in this survey.

It's impossible that PanAM Games generated R$ 6,7bi. I live in Rio, and I know nothing changed. The city got forgetful after PanAm Games. Even though it occurred, I support Rio 2016 since I believe things have changed.

This survey includes even Oil & Gas Companies earnings and Agricultural improvements. The hotel's occupation index was not too much higher than the previous year.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #5672
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
I don't believe in this survey.

It's impossible that PanAM Games generated R$ 6,7bi. I live in Rio, and I know nothing changed. The city got forgetful after PanAm Games. Even though it occurred, I support Rio 2016 since I believe things have changed.

This survey includes even Oil & Gas Companies earnings and Agricultural improvements. The hotel's occupation index was not too much higher than the previous year.
I still take this "unbelievable" source to a higher rank than a random opinion.
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #5673
Cobucci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Barcelona
Posts: 3,058
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
I still take this "unbelievable" source to a higher rank than a random opinion.
Ok, but you don't even live in Rio. I know PanAm Games was led wrong. It was an enormous success during the Games, but it lead the city into chaos, completely forsaken.

You have the right to believe in what you want, but I still think this survey is totally deceptive.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #5674
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,197
Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
I don't believe in this survey.

It's impossible that PanAM Games generated R$ 6,7bi. I live in Rio, and I know nothing changed. The city got forgetful after PanAm Games. Even though it occurred, I support Rio 2016 since I believe things have changed.

This survey includes even Oil & Gas Companies earnings and Agricultural improvements. The hotel's occupation index was not too much higher than the previous year.
But Panam did their purpose that was to credenciate the city for an OG bids. Because Panam games never were important. Is less important than games like CW and Asian Games.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #5675
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
I still take this "unbelievable" source to a higher rank than a random opinion.
Many articles and quote many claims from people who have a vested interest. There are politicians and advocates who give out suspect numbers and claims in Chicago/US as well.

I tend to have my doubts though about those numbers because it would indeed then claim to have taken in more revenue by FAR more then any other sporting event EVER on the face of the planet. That would be a tall order for a city which didn't have to build a lot of new infrastructure and arenas such as Rio did (and generally did well credit to them). That is also without the large TV and advertising venue that regional games generally lack compared to World Cups/Olympics. For those reasons I think it makes sense to be largely suspect of such revenue claims.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #5676
Cobucci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro/Barcelona
Posts: 3,058
Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
But Panam did their purpose that was to credenciate the city for an OG bids. Because Panam games never were important. Is less important than games like CW and Asian Games.
That's what I'm saying. It was a huge success. Everything went OK. But I doubt about the profit.

Rio made a great PanAm Games, but has its costs.

Rio 2016 would be very different, for sure.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #5677
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Si vous voulez je peux parler en francais, y en español!! What about you? Can you speak in Portuguese? smart one!!
I could have written that simple sentence in French, even with my limited years of study...smart one.

Portuguese is not a very widely-spoken language...whereas English is spoken by over 1 billion people worldwide and is the dominant international language in the areas of science, aviation, communications, business, diplomacy, radio, and entertainment. The two languages are not an even comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #5678
schmidt
Registered User
 
schmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,557
Likes (Received): 59

Honestly, I think we should stop speculating and wait for the result on the 2nd.

Of course I'd love Brazil to host the Olympics, but what if we don't? At least we have the 2014 WC to host.

Oh and shame on you JRQ, apparently you don't know anything about the world outside your country, do you? Not every country speaks English and you should be glad there are so many other foreigners that speak it. It's ridiculous to point out English mistakes of people whose English isn't the native tongue.

WeimieLvr: Portuguese cannot be compared to English and that's exactly the point, I don't know why you're attacking the Portuguese language.
schmidt no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #5679
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
That's what I'm saying. It was a huge success. Everything went OK. But I doubt about the profit.

Rio made a great PanAm Games, but has its costs.

Rio 2016 would be very different, for sure.
Whether or not the PanAm Games turned a profit isn't really important...hosting those Games or any other global sporting event is an important stepping stone toward hosting the Olympics. It simply proves to the IOC that Rio is capable of hosting such an event.

My vote still goes to Chicago...I'm very sure it can successfully host the Olympics.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #5680
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post
Honestly, I think we should stop speculating and wait for the result on the 2nd.

Of course I'd love Brazil to host the Olympics, but what if we don't? At least we have the 2014 WC to host.

Oh and shame on you JRQ, apparently you don't know anything about the world outside your country, do you? Not every country speaks English and you should be glad there are so many other foreigners that speak it. It's ridiculous to point out English mistakes of people whose English isn't the native tongue.

WeimieLvr: Portuguese cannot be compared to English and that's exactly the point, I don't know why you're attacking the Portuguese language.
It wasn't an attack...if you read the previous posts you'll understand. My post was in response to a member placing the two languages on the same level. That's it.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu