daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #5721
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
In all honesty, I will not sit back and let select Rio forumers bash Chicago, U.S. forumers, etc, and not do something about it. Everyone else may, but I will not. When we have several Rio forumers constantly harass and complain about an ARTICLE from a news source that secondcity had nothing to do with? Honestly, chill out. If they will stoop to that level of rudeness, so will I. If you're going to bitch him out, then do it in proper English, or don't post at all. Just shows the lack of intellectual quality on their part. So to sum it up, I'm not arrogant, just defensive towards rude behavior by select Rio forumers.
Harp on them for being a tosser or charlatan by all means as there has been examples but I think its bad form to ridicule someone about language use especially when its not their own. The French are not be emultated in that regard. That's my take at least, if you feel different then so be it.

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #5722
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Thought this was pretty cool-

400,000 Madrid 2016 supporters form human mosaic: Officials

MADRID — Hundreds of thousands of people formed a "human mosaic" in Madrid Sunday to show their support for the city's bid to host the 2016 Olympics, five days before the International Olympic Committee makes its decision.
The IOC is to announce in Copenhagen on Friday whether Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Chicago or Tokyo will host the 2016 Games.
The Madrid 2016 organising committee planned the event, which they called an "Olympic fiesta", to show the "strength of support" among residents for the city's candidature.
The city councillor responsible for crowd safety, Pedro Calvo, said that around 400,000 attended the gathering in the Plaza Cibeles, where supporters of Real Madrid traditionally celebrate its titles. The organisers put the figure at half a million.
The crowd formed the human mosaic by holding up cards of the different colours of Madrid's candidature -- red, green, blue and yellow.
"What happened today is very important for Madrid's bid, because we have sent a strong message not only to the IOC members but to the entire Olympic movement that this city loves sport and wants the Games," said Madrid Mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon.
The Madrid organising committee has regularly pointed to the strong popular support in Spain for Madrid's Olympic bid as one of the arguments for holding the Games in the Spanish capital.
Also Sunday, 2,016 golfers set a Guinness world record by hitting golf balls at the exactly the same moment in an event near the capital.
A Spanish delegation of several hundred people is to leave for Copenhagen on Monday, headed by King Juan Carlos and Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #5723
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
No, it isn't that poor city.

The problem is the segregation and socioeconomic inequalities. That's one of the reasons to the Olympics being held here, to make some social improvements.
Neither a developed city like Chicago, Rio or Madrid.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #5724
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5793

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijustpassingby View Post
haha, I find it funny how a lot of Brazilians are butthurt over the fact that some newspaper said Rio was their capital city.

The Brazilian press is pretty dumb too! A lot of them don't even know the difference between the U.K. and England.

Whenever a list of countries shows up in a Brazilian newspaper or magazine(e.g. GDP rank, exports, literacy etc), its England, not the UK that shows up. I have even heard stupidities like "the English Prime Minister Gordon Brown".
I think knowing the real capital city of an important country is quite easy than understanding how works the UK. But Im not defending the Brazilian Media, I really think most of them are dumb. What I cant stand is those xenophobic comments about the brazilians forumer here in this thread, calling us dumb just because we make some mistakes when wirting in english.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #5725
Portaser
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

obama will take the olympics to homee

Last edited by Portaser; September 28th, 2009 at 05:14 AM.
Portaser no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #5726
Portaser
BANNED

w.e
Portaser no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5727
xikaumrio

Likes (Received): 93

GO RIO !!! ... 4 days ...
xikaumrio no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #5728
C010T3

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijustpassingby View Post
The Brazilian press is pretty dumb too! A lot of them don't even know the difference between the U.K. and England.

Whenever a list of countries shows up in a Brazilian newspaper or magazine(e.g. GDP rank, exports, literacy etc), its England, not the UK that shows up. I have even heard stupidities like "the English Prime Minister Gordon Brown".
It's not stupidity, it's common use. You will continue to see Brazilians referring to citizens of the United States of America as American, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as English and The Netherlands as Hollandic.
C010T3 no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #5729
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
I read the whole article and it still doesn't make sense. There a not 230,000 arab-americans living in the city of Chicago. Maybe in the whole county, but not within the actual borders of Chicago. Which probably explains why they don't get more city jobs, since you have to live in the city to get those jobs. And.......as far as immigrants are concerned.....Arab-Americans are at the top.....when it comes to economic success and assimilation in Chicago. There isn't a giant Arab-American ghetto or anything like that. Theres no reason to complain.
Whoops, I meant county and wrote country in accident.
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #5730
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

Fine. But my point was that it should wait until 2020 or 2024.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
No, it isn't that poor city.

The problem is the segregation and socioeconomic inequalities. That's one of the reasons to the Olympics being held here, to make some social improvements.
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #5731
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
Thought this was pretty cool-

400,000 Madrid 2016 supporters form human mosaic

Very cool...too bad that Madrid is competing for the Olympics just after London hosts. I think it would be a great Olympic city, but in at least 2020.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #5732
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

I hope and pray ,RIO gets it.
novaguy está en línea ahora  
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #5733
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

I feel sorry for the rowers if Chicago gets it I have just been looking at the venues and it looks like the rowing centre is more or less in open water. Does anyone here know the area or can explain how that is supposed to work?
mvictory no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #5734
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Oh, thought it was going to be announced today. Well, I'll wait a few more days.
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #5735
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
I feel sorry for the rowers if Chicago gets it I have just been looking at the venues and it looks like the rowing centre is more or less in open water. Does anyone here know the area or can explain how that is supposed to work?
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23589
.........Officials also announced a plan to enlarge Monroe Harbor by building a $60-million newer, longer breakwater. That would allow Olympic rowing events to be staged on a roughly 2-mile course from Northerly Island up to about Randolph Street, with the Loop skyline serving as a backdrop to events televised around the world.
.......At Monroe Harbor, non-Olympic watercraft will have to be relocated for a year, officials said, promising to make space for them elsewhere. After the games, the city’s boating community will have an enlarged harbor with more sheltered space. Under earlier plans, rowing was to be held at a proposed new harbor south of 31st Street.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #5736
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

Obama will be there, it's official

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8278655.stm
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5737
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

It's official, Obama is going.

Quote:
http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/po...d_for_ioc.html

Obama: Copenhagen-bound for IOC

by Mark Silva and updated

President Barack Obama, who initially planned to let First Lady Michelle Obama represent the United States in Copenhagen this week, when the International Olympic Committee chooses a site for the 2016 summer games, plans to travel there too.

The White House, which earlier had announced that an advance team was headed to Copenhagen to prepare for a possible presidential trip to Copenhagen, confirmed this morning that Obama will travel Thursday night. The IOC meets Friday.

A senior administration official told the Tribune Washington Bureau this morning that Obama will travel to Copenhagen Thursday night, and return following the Friday meeting. The first lady plans to travel Tuesday, and meet with individual memebers of the IOC on Wednesday and Thursday to make Chicago's case for the games. The president will join her at the full committee meeting on Friday....................
More in link
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5738
rsol2000

Likes (Received): 8699

Rio go!
rsol2000 está en línea ahora  
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5739
JR Nazareth

Committee Rio-2016 has its 'headquarters' in Copenhagen
Posted on 27/09/2009 at 17h21m
Lancepress

The Hotel San Patrick became the headquarters of the bidding committee Rio in 2016, where they occur the tests for the presentation of the wonderful city before the members of the International Olympic Committee, the election of October 2. The president of Rio 2016, Nuzman, Secretary General Osório in a locked room getting the personalities they arrive.

On Sunday, along with Pelé, the state secretary of Tourism, Sport and Recreation and City of Rio-2016, Marcia Lins and Ruy Cezar, respectively, also arrived in Copenhagen and went straight to the hotel.

- It's time to concentrate all efforts in this final stretch. It's time to rehearse, we review everything not to make mistakes - Marcia said, to reach the hotel that is fully decorated with banners, posters and banners of the Rio 2016 campaign.

Arrivals from the mayor of Rio, Eduardo Paes, and the governor Sérgio Cabrarl Son are planned for Tuesday. The president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on Wednesday.
Idols of various sports in the crowd in Copenhagen

A total of 20 sports personalities among athletes and former athletes will come to Copenhagen to support the candidacy of Rio to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016. The election takes place on October 2 and are also in dispute: Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo. The list was released Sunday by the Bid Committee Rio-2016, Denmark, and will be in the delegation:

Pele, Daniel Dias, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Cesar Cielo, Adriana Behar, Janeth Arcain, Guga, Rosie, Hydrangea, Bernard, Isabel Swan, Daiane dos Santos, Torben Grael, Barbara Leoncio, Paula Andressa Dias Clementino and Victor Hugo dos Santos Silva Mourão Some athletes, like the sailor Isabel Swan, are already in Denmark. She was among the first to arrive, because he needed to train their participation in the final presentation from Rio to the members of Internaconal Olympic Committee (IOC), hours before the election on 2 October.

- Being in Denmark is a very great honor. When I think I'll have the opportunity to defend the Rio bid comes an urge to compete. I'll go with everything we can win - said Isabel.

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/mat...-767801761.asp

RIO 2016
Live Your Passion !!
www.rio2016.com.br
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #5740
JR Nazareth

Ambassador, Pele reach Copenhagen confident in the chances of Rio

Press Gazeta

You still have six days to the vote of the IOC (International Olympic Committee) will decide to host the Olympics in 2016, but Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele, has been in Copenhagen to attend the final week of the campaign for Rio de Janeiro. Leading advocate for Brazil's candidacy, the former football player arrived on Sunday the Danish capital, where he lead a group of 15 athletes who will defend the way the event to South America for the first time in history.

"Only game in winning team," Pele said the defroster on the Copenhagen Airport, which caused a stir by posing for pictures and autographing shirts for children. In view of the election scheduled for next Friday, he was confident the project headed by the chairman of the Rio-2016, Nuzman. "I now the United States and talking to many people, I sense that Brazil now has its chance." There are 500 million South Americans waiting for the opportunity to host the Games. "

In the star until Thursday over 11 athletes who made the history of the Olympic and Paralympic sport in Brazil will be in Denmark to attend the ceremony which will also be attended by representatives from Tokyo, Chicago and Madrid. They Adriana Behar, Bernard, Cesar Cielo, Daiane dos Santos, Daniel Dias, Gustavo Kuerten, Hydrangea, Isabel Swan, Janeth, Roseane dos Santos Ferreira and Torben Grael.

The team also will be completed with three young people who represent the future of the sport: Barbara Leoncio and Paula Andressa Dias Clementino, athletics, and Victor Hugo dos Santos Silva Mourao, judo. Champion of the World Cup 1994, coach Carlos Alberto Parreira will also travel to Europe and declare his support for application during the week of the election of the IOC.

http://www.abril.com.br/noticias/esp...o-542602.shtml

____________________________________________________________________________________

RIO 2016
www.rio2016.com.br

WELCOME TO RIO ....
JR Nazareth no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016