daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #5781
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 269

The USA, now doesn't have the same influence in the world that had on the 70's, 80's or 90's.
Gerardogt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #5782
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5223

No, i didnt say that, but it has more influence than Brazil, Japan and Spain combined. Anyway, we're not here to discuss whether or not the US has more influence.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #5783
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
The USA, now doesn't have the same influence in the world that had on the 70's, 80's or 90's.
Huh? Who said that? We still have by far the largest economy in the world, and an even more powerful military. And President Obama is the most popular president worldwide since JFK. I think you’re crazy! North America is also the new center of the world, like Europe was for many centuries. Just because it's not the 1990s right now, dosen't mean things have changed.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #5784
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 269

SINCE 2000
Enron have desapeared (2001), Airbus and Boeing now have the same amount of orders, Airbus is growing faster than Boeing, GM now is under the control of FIAT, now Toyota is the No. 1 car seller woeldwide, IBM now belongs to a Chinese enterprise, a lot of countries are devoloping militaty technologies... THOSE ARE JUST SOME EXAMPLES ONLY IN 8 YEARS THAT SHOWS US HOW THE USA IS IMPORTANT, BUT NOT THE ONLY, NOT THE ONE WITH THE BIGGER COMPANIES THAT USED TO BE!

Last edited by Gerardogt; September 29th, 2009 at 03:57 AM.
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #5785
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
SINCE 2000
Enron have desapeared (2001), Airbus and Boeing now have the same amount of orders, Airbus is growing faster than Airbus, GM now is under the control of FIAT, now Toyota is the No. 1 car seller woeldwide, IBM now belongs to a Chinese enterprise, a lot of countries are devoloping militaty technologies... THOSE ARE JUST SOME EXAMPLES ONLY IN 8 YEARS THAT SHOWS US HOW THE USA IS IMPORTANT, BUT NOT THE ONLY, NOT THE ONE WITH THE BIGGER COMPANIES THAT USED TO BE!
US global power fluctuates, but it's not so much about the economy that makes the US so powerful. China could have a larger economy then the US one day, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will be a more powerful country as a whole. The US is unique because there is no country that can directly oppose it. The instability that other countries (like China and Russia) are going to have to face this century, is not something the US has to worry about. Even if it looks bad today it's not that bad. No country is going to be able to win a war this century without the US on their side.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #5786
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
That would be the first I've heard of it. MJ has a selfish streak to him and as of last week it was reported he was not likely to go to Rio as he a supposed obligation to his basketball team of which he is a part owner (a rather BS excuse).

Ever since he retired he has been rather low key and doesn't do a lot of PR stuff unless it is for his own personal commerical reasons.
Jordan recently delivered a bitter and very petty induction speech at the NBA hall of fame. This didn't especially demonstrate him to be a class act. Probably best to do without his "help" on this.
DFDalton no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #5787
zdaddy233

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
SINCE 2000
Enron have desapeared (2001), Airbus and Boeing now have the same amount of orders, Airbus is growing faster than Airbus, GM now is under the control of FIAT, now Toyota is the No. 1 car seller woeldwide, IBM now belongs to a Chinese enterprise, a lot of countries are devoloping militaty technologies... THOSE ARE JUST SOME EXAMPLES ONLY IN 8 YEARS THAT SHOWS US HOW THE USA IS IMPORTANT, BUT NOT THE ONLY, NOT THE ONE WITH THE BIGGER COMPANIES THAT USED TO BE!
Just to clarify, Enron was one of hundreds of massive US based energy companies, of which the lost revenues have been passed on to others such as Exxon and Chevron; Boeing has deliverd 400 more aircraft than Airbus over the last 10 years, plus Boeing has received over 900 orders for the new 787 compared to about 200 for the A380; GM is owned mostly by the US Treasury, Toyota is #1 because it makes the best affordable cars; and IBM sold its PC branch to Lenovo, which happened to be a very small part of the company at the time of the sale.
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #5788
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Matt Drudge apparently doesn't like Chicago 2016. Here's his latest banner headline:

OLYMPIC SPIRIT: VIDEO SHOWS BRUTAL GANG MURDER IN CHICAGO

What this incident has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess. But it does point out one reason why Chicago should benefit if it gets the games. Chicago's reputation, not just internationally but in the rest of the country, is still absolutely abysmal.
DFDalton no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #5789
zdaddy233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Matt Drudge apparently doesn't like Chicago 2016. Here's his latest banner headline:

OLYMPIC SPIRIT: VIDEO SHOWS BRUTAL GANG MURDER IN CHICAGO

What this incident has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess. But it does point out one reason why Chicago should benefit if it gets the games. Chicago's reputation, not just internationally but in the rest of the country, is still absolutely abysmal.
Drudge will look for anything to get his website attention and more hits.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #5790
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
True, and it's going down ever further. The golden days will soon be past.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #5791
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
And I'm sure Brazil will bet there to take over the reins!!!!

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #5792
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
If this occurs, Brazil will be ruined as well.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5793
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
I don't want to sound condescending and somehow superior, but the capital of Brasil is not Sao Paulo. It's Brasilia.

I commend you on the fact that you did succeed at sounding arrogant and rude when you mocked that user's perfectly serviceable English. On another note, I hope the IOC voters don't share your opinion on October 2nd. Lula sometimes puts his foot on his mouth, and that's his charm. After all, he's considered one of the most influential politicians of the world. And, by the way, the same speech worked for China in 2001, so who knows!
I am man enough, whatever the result, to say when I'm wrong. I apologize for that slip. Anytime I think of Brazil, Sao Paulo and Rio pop in my head first. Trust me, I've read enough about Brasilia now to become a local expert lol. The Juscelino Kubitschek Bridge looks pretty awesome.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #5794
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
The golden days? Hardly! The US is still a very very young country, it hasn't matured yet. Somewhere around the year 2050 the US might find itself back on top of the world again. You can't predict history either, many thought at the beginning of the 20th century that the world was going to be peaceful, calm, and phosphorus forever; and anyone who disrupted the econmic system of the day was going to quickly die out. But that did not happen, with WWI, WWII, and the Cold War. And in the 21st century it’s not the US that has to worry, because there is no country powerful enough to directly challenge its power in North America.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #5795
zdaddy233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The golden days? Hardly! Somewhere around the year 2050 the US might find itself back on top of the world again. You can't predict history either, many thought at the beginning of the 20th century that the world was going to be peaceful, calm, and phosphorus forever; and anyone who disrupted the econmic system of the day was going to quickly die out. But that did not happen, with WWI, WWII, and the Cold War. And in the 21st century it’s not the US that has to worry, because there is no country powerful enough to directly challenge its power in North America.
for all we know, Papua New Guinea could be the next superpower. Its a waste of time to debate this stuff.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #5796
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
for all we know, Papua New Guinea could be the next superpower. Its a waste of time to debate this stuff.
Not if you've studied up on it.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #5797
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
US global power fluctuates, but it's not so much about the economy that makes the US so powerful. China could have a larger economy then the US one day, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will be a more powerful country as a whole. The US is unique because there is no country that can directly oppose it. The instability that other countries (like China and Russia) are going to have to face this century, is not something the US has to worry about. Even if it looks bad today it's not that bad. No country is going to be able to win a war this century without the US on their side.
Quote:
So many ugly Americans and Brazilians in this thread. The boosting and slamming just makes both look small. A bunch of f'n children we have on here.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #5798
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Jordan recently delivered a bitter and very petty induction speech at the NBA hall of fame. This didn't especially demonstrate him to be a class act. Probably best to do without his "help" on this.
I didn't interpret Jordan's speech as "bitter and petty"...toward the end, he stated that he viewed all of the slights he had mentioned as challenges, and turned them into "the wood that made the fire rage." Some people saw his anecdotes as offensive, but the point he made was that those situations (i.e. being cut from his high school team and Dean Smith not allowing him on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a UNC freshman, etc) motivated him to be the best he could be...IMO the best basketball player of our time. However one interprets his speech, he is still one of the most recognized athletes in the world.

Michael Wilbon, ESPN:
Quote:
But of course, Jordan was the reason people came. Jordan was the reason the ceremony had to be moved from the Basketball Hall of Fame down the street to the much larger Symphony Hall. Jordan even quipped he was the reason the price of a ticket was jacked up to $1,000. Jordan was the reason I sat on an ESPN set just inches off the stage for a live telecast. Jordan, as he was since he hit that jump shot for North Carolina to beat Georgetown in March of 1982, was the reason we all got dressed up, sat up straight in our seats and waited to be engaged, to be entertained, to see something we could talk about for two or three more days. And damned if Michael Jordan didn't do exactly that one more time.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...pid=sec-sports
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #5799
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
You really shouldn't be so dogmatic.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #5800
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

It was far from gracious or classy. Though only time I think it really went off the rails though was when he dissed his old GM Jerry Krouse. It wasn't a speech befitting his legend that is for sure.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016