daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #5821
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
Yeah, but it will happen faster if US keep its power along the 21st century. Want it or not, they are and will still be for a long time the economical balance of the world, but I agree in the point that from now on the world becomes more and more less dependent of US.

We have more countries considered key players in the global economy and sharing the power with US, including Brazil.

It's a paradoxical thought, but we need the US strong to diminish its power.
Well you can say what you want, but the fact is rapid economic growth around the world is probably not going to last. There is nothing to suggest this century is any different then past centuries, there is nothing to suggest things are suddenly going to change. Countries like Brazil will definitely grow economically, but they will probably not be a global superpower. India is in much the same boat that Brazil is in.

The US has a number of reasons it will remain very powerful. And one of reasons is because it has such a powerful navy. There's no country out there that can even compare right now, and with 11 aircraft carriers the US can attack any country, anywhere in the world. But more importantly, a powerful navy means you can control shipping lanes. China may have a powerful navy to rival one day, but those kinds of navies don't get built over night.

Last edited by Onn; September 29th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
Onn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5822
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

You're right, just in his dreams the US will loses his power, at least not in our lifetime . Anyway, i thought that video was related to Chicago 2016 , but it was pretty cool though.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5823
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
So just because we may have a higher quality of life, according to you, other nations should drag us down to their levels? And what's your reasoning behind this? Just because? Sounds familiar. Sort of like how the IOC should vote for Rio, because South America has never hosted before.
Go to a text interpretation course, man.

Hurry up.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #5824
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
You're right, just in his dreams the US will loses his power, at least not in our lifetime . Anyway, i thought that video was related to Chicago 2016 , but it was pretty cool though.
I don't know, but I get very tired of people claming the US is dead already. I don't think that's true at all. We're still a very young country and our society is still very immature compared to the rest of the world. We still have a long way to go. I wish people would shut up about the US “seemingly” losing power, and worry about their own countries. It's not always us holding them down.

Last edited by Onn; September 29th, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5825
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't know, but I get tired of people claming the US is dead already. I think that's not true at all. We're still a very young country and our society is still very immature compared to the rest of the world. We still have a long way to go. I wish people would shut up about the US “seemingly” loosing power and worry about their own countries.
You've understood wrong.

I meant dimishing relatively, not absolutely. It doesn't represent that U.S. has to be ruined, what I said was the opposite of that.

U.S. has to be strong and powerful to the world become less dependent of the proper U.S.

A paradoxical thought, but the last financial crisis made it almost axiomatic. It's not an anti-U.S. speech, but just the opposite.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5826
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobucci View Post
You've understood wrong.

I meant dimishing relatively, not absolutely. It doesn't represent that U.S. has to be ruined, what I said was the opposite of that.

U.S. has to be strong and powerful to the world become less dependent of the proper U.S.

A paradoxical thought, but the last financial crisis made it almost axiomatic. It's not an anti-U.S. speech, but just the opposite.
I think I understand what you mean.

Although, losing power "relative" to everyone else may or may not happen. It's not so much dependent on what the US does. It depends on other major countries. Like China, India, Russia, Japan....that's the whole thing. The US doesn’t have to do anything to keep its standing as the regional power. There are no countries to challenge the US in North America.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #5827
boyerling3

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I think I understand what you mean.

Although, losing power "relative" to everyone else may or may not happen. It's not so much dependent on what the US does. It depends on other major countries. Like China, India, Russia, Japan....that's the whole thing. The US doesn’t have to do anything to keep its standing as the regional power. There are no countries to challenge the US in North America.
There is some "competition" if you want to call it that with Mexico and Brazil both are economically developing very rapidly. That is part of the tension in the bids for these games is looking to the Americas. Do you look to the established and occasionally overbearing USA or do you look to the developing but risky Brazil. It'll be very exciting to see what the IOC thinks on Friday.
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #5828
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
There is ..... It'll be very exciting to see what the IOC thinks on Friday.
An economically rising Mexico/Brazil is not the issue for USA in the short term.
But the harsh statements given by China opposing Dollar & the increasing reliance of the world business on Beijing, the commercial inroads of China into the volatile African states for Oil & Gas are troublesome for US. Keep these aside. We can discuss voulmes upon this.

Guys, the competition between Chicago and Rio is that US wants to host it again after 20 yrs and Rio is just one of the many other competitors. There is no ill feeling about a rising Brazil winning the Olympic bid.
But the cause of concern would be second loss in succession. It is just for the pride of not losing the bid - an ignominy equating it to the consecutive failed bids of Turkey.

Let us pls keep global politics out of this and check whether there have been any statements coming from any camps.
As I remember for 2008, Toronto Mayor tilted the scale in favour of Beijing in the last week. For 2000, it was the conjuring up of strength between Machester/Sydney to keep Beijing out. This will be the most exciting week in the bid process.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #5829
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 269

It's not only Rio, is the passion of the brazilians too, Rio is the happiest city in the world, i've been there on January, and i fell i love with the city, with the people, with the food (high gastronomy as in NY or London but cheaper), i can't wait to see all that energy and empathy working together showing that Brazil can host the best olympic games ever (im not talking about venues or technology) i'm talking about the people!
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5830
samba_man
Dobrando a Meta

Likes (Received): 19797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
It's not only Rio, is the passion of the brazilians too, Rio is the happiest city in the world, i've been there on January, and i fell i love with the city, with the people, with the food (high gastronomy as in NY or London but cheaper), i can't wait to see all that energy and empathy working together showing that Brazil can host the best olympic games ever (im not talking about venues or technology) i'm talking about the people!
That´s the point. I am so sure that´s Brazil´s passion of the people can do the best olimpics ever!
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5831
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
for all we know, Papua New Guinea could be the next superpower. Its a waste of time to debate this stuff.
LOL great

"...Igual que el trébol campero crezco sin hacer barullo,
me apreto contra los yuyos y así lo aguanto al pampero."
Mares de Morros_XXI no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5832
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Likes (Received): 347

I think much in terms of legacy for the city ... If Rio2016 win and become a better city, for sure that rio deserves it !! I hope that all americans in this thread support us!
I know that you love us !! Our bananas are larger and more pleasant!
Go bananas, go for rio, go bananas , go for rio!

"...Igual que el trébol campero crezco sin hacer barullo,
me apreto contra los yuyos y así lo aguanto al pampero."
Mares de Morros_XXI no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5833
H.E. Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago better not get it based on Obama
I heard the Chicago people are 50/50 about having the games
Tokyo has 90%
I'm sure people in Rio want it
Rio will have many items built by '14, great city, improving
H.E. Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5834
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

I have a feeling Chicago is going to win because of the new popular U.S president. I hope i am wrong because i want RIO to win.
corredor06 no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #5835
exciter
excitersky

Everybody is talking about Rio and Chicago, but it seems that the opinion about Madrid as the strongest bid, even forgetting the continents rotation as a main problem, is getting positions in the olympic statement. The COI needs a strong bid, not based in emotionals opinions, just to ensure the economic and organization viability of the games. Madrid is the city with the 70% of instalations completed, is the bid with the highest support from citizens. Jaques Roge has said in an interview that the rotation it's not the more important thing for the election. So, don't forget Madrid, can be the great surprise, and i hope so
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #5836
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter View Post
Everybody is talking about Rio and Chicago, but it seems that the opinion about Madrid as the strongest bid, even forgetting the continents rotation as a main problem, is getting positions in the olympic statement. The COI needs a strong bid, not based in emotionals opinions, just to ensure the economic and organization viability of the games. Madrid is the city with the 70% of instalations completed, is the bid with the highest support from citizens. Jaques Roge has said in an interview that the rotation it's not the more important thing for the election. So, don't forget Madrid, can be the great surprise, and i hope so
I'm sorry, did you miss the evaluation report?
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #5837
MGM

MEANING OF LIFE

RIO 2016 is 'ATHENS 2004'

EMOTIONAL
DESERVING
NEW FRONTIER
BEAUTIFUL LAND
EXOTIC CULTURE
"YES, WE CAN"

CHICAGO 2016 is 'ATLANTA 1996'

ECONOMIC POWER
POLITICAL INFLUENCE
TRADEMARKETING
ANOTHER US OLYMPICS IN 20 YEARS
MGM no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #5838
MGM

DO WE WANT IT AGAIN?

Atlanta Selected Over Athens for 1996 Olympics

By STEVEN R. WEISMAN, Special to The New York Times
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 1990

With a powerful display of personal lobbying and financial clout, Atlanta today won the right to hold the 1996 Summer Olympic Games, turning back a strong sentimental appeal by Athens to become the site for the 100th anniversary of the first modern Olympic Games.

The dramatic decision by the International Olympic Committee, announced tonight after five rounds of secret balloting, brings the summer Olympics back to the United States only 12 years after the Games were held in Los Angeles.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/19/sp...-olympics.html
MGM no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #5839
exciter
excitersky

I'm talking about the last days, after the answers to the evaluation report. The problems with Madrid's bid where about the national Dopping Laws, something that has been resolved yet, about the three administrations, national, regional and local (this is not a problem, it worked the same way in Barcelona'92, and was succesfull) those where all the problems with Madrid's bid, nothing to be with security, transport and accomodation (Rio) or indefinitions about public or private financiation (Chicago)
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #5840
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
Chicago better not get it based on Obama
I heard the Chicago people are 50/50 about having the games
Tokyo has 90%
I'm sure people in Rio want it
Rio will have many items built by '14, great city, improving
Not sure what funny numbers you are getting. By far from all that I have read Tokyo has the lowest amount of support. Chicago is near 70% now but was higher before discussions about funding of the games came to be a hot topic. Context of the polling is important though.

If it was polled to Chicagoans if they "would like to host the games and the feds are going to pick up the tab like they will in Tokyo, Brazil, and Spain" the numbers would even be higher. Provide a games within budget and Chicagoans are for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
RIO 2016 is 'ATHENS 2004'

EMOTIONAL
DESERVING
NEW FRONTIER
BEAUTIFUL LAND
EXOTIC CULTURE
"YES, WE CAN"

CHICAGO 2016 is 'ATLANTA 1996'

ECONOMIC POWER
POLITICAL INFLUENCE
TRADEMARKETING
ANOTHER US OLYMPICS IN 20 YEARS
Are you implying that Chicagoans (or the others) don't have emotion, beautiful landscapes, aren't deserving, and don't have a unique culture? Chicago (and Tokyo and Madrid) have plenty of those virtues you listed in spades.

It would be real nice if people were intent on slandering the opposition here. If that method is going to be tried in Copenhagen it is bound to backfire.

Last edited by nomarandlee; September 29th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016