daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5861
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Chicagoans, Americans support 2016 Games in U.S.: Ryan
BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter
Chicagoans, Americans support 2016 Games in U.S.: Ryan

Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:01
BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter

COPENHAGEN—Just days before the International Olympic Committee meets here to tap a host for the 2016 Summer Games, Mayor Daley and his Olympic bid are on the ground in Denmark’s capital and talking about the muscle behind its bid.

Chicago 2016 CEO Patrick Ryan said a poll conducted last week shows 72 percent of Chicagoans back bringing the Games to while 84 percent of Americans support the Games.

“We’re honored and humbled to have that tremendous support from the people Chicago and the people of the United States. It’s a great feeling, but it’s a great responsibility, too. We take that very seriously,” Ryan told reporters today during an afternoon press conference, clearly hoping his message reached the 100-plus voting IOC members who will select a city here on Friday.

The poll was conducted by Zogby International from Sept. 22 to 25, and asked the question: “Do you support having the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Chicago?”

The sample size was 702 in Chicago and 801 in the U.S. with a margin of error of 3.5 percent.

The recent poll suggests support for the Games among Chicagoans is falling. A poll released by the bid committee pegged support at 78 percent.
http://mobile.suntimes.com/suntimes/...X1Gp0s&src=cat

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5862
japanese001

Likes (Received): 707

I support Rio.

1.Rio
2.Chicago
3.Darwin
4.Madrid
5.Tokyo

Last edited by japanese001; September 29th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
japanese001 no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5863
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

I'll be happy with either Chicago or Rio de Janeiro.

Rio de Janeiro probably more so. It's time for South America.

As for Chicago, it's a great city and a great bid. If you look at previous American Olympic Games, and their respectivel legacy's for their city, there has been nothing totally remarkable. There is little to no trace of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, in terms of its impact on the city culture. As for Atlanta, well that was just a giant screw up, Atlanta should NOT be an Olympic city. Mistake. That's why Chicago could be the first truely remarkable American Olympiad, there is a true sense of civic pride - and it's an international city, unlike Atlanta. I just feel it might be too soon for the US - however they will just continue to bid. Hopefully if the US does get 2016, they are content for at least a good 40 years to allow some real continental rotation.

Tokyo - maybe in the future, but not 2016. I'd like to see the Olympics in another part of Asia, like India or Malaysia.

Madrid - it just bores me. It's too soon for Spain, wait until 2028 at least. By then, Barcelona could even bid again. A second Barcelona Olympics could be cool.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5864
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
RIO 2016 is 'ATHENS 2004'

EMOTIONAL
DESERVING
NEW FRONTIER
BEAUTIFUL LAND
EXOTIC CULTURE
"YES, WE CAN"

CHICAGO 2016 is 'ATLANTA 1996'

ECONOMIC POWER
POLITICAL INFLUENCE
TRADEMARKETING
ANOTHER US OLYMPICS IN 20 YEARS
I see some truth in your post. The Rio x Chicago olympic showdown is comparable to the 1996 competing cities, Athens and Atlanta. The basic difference: Chicago's bid is much better than Atlanta's, just like Rio's is much better then Athens' in 1996

I hope the outcome is different this time.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5865
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
It's only time for South America if South America is ready, and Rio is not ready. If Rio were fighting any other city than Chicago I would probably support Rio out of sheer sympathy, but this is Chicago's moment. It is one of the greatest cities in the world.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5866
Lonesome Traveler
Alchemist

Likes (Received): 3

I was supporting Rio because the city is so beautiful. I have been to Rio twice. After reading some news, I am not sure if I will support Rio anymore. Is the city becoming more violent these days? I left São Paulo 2 years ago and I never had time to look at Brazilian newspapers when I was there. Now I have time and I am always checking the news because I live in US and I worry about my mother. I am wondering if the violence was always there and I didn't notice it. Rio would be the perfect city without the shanty towns and without the violence. I really don't know what the government will do about the violence if Rio wins. Having the militar in the streets again? I think Rio should wait a little more and solve the many problems the city has.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5867
Cobucci

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Traveler View Post
I was supporting Rio because the city is so beautiful. I have been to Rio twice. After reading some news, I am not sure if I will support Rio anymore. Is the city becoming more violent these days? I left São Paulo 2 years ago and I never had time to look at Brazilian newspapers when I was there. Now I have time and I am always checking the news because I live in US and I worry about my mother. I am wondering if the violence was always there and I didn't notice it. Rio would be the perfect city without the shanty towns and without the violence. I really don't know what the government will do about the violence if Rio wins. Having the militar in the streets again? I think Rio should wait a little more and solve the many problems the city has.
The city is violent due to drug dealers dispute, but during last years the violence has been reduced.
Cobucci no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5868
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:

As for Chicago, it's a great city and a great bid. If you look at previous American Olympic Games, and their respectivel legacy's for their city, there has been nothing totally remarkable. There is little to no trace of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, in terms of its impact on the city culture. As for Atlanta, well that was just a giant screw up, Atlanta should NOT be an Olympic city. Mistake. That's why Chicago could be the first truely remarkable American Olympiad, there is a true sense of civic pride - and it's an international city, unlike Atlanta. I just feel it might be too soon for the US - however they will just continue to bid. Hopefully if the US does get 2016, they are content for at least a good 40 years to allow some real continental rotation.

Tokyo - maybe in the future, but not 2016. I'd like to see the Olympics in another part of Asia, like India or Malaysia.

Madrid - it just bores me. It's too soon for Spain, wait until 2028 at least. By then, Barcelona could even bid again. A second Barcelona Olympics could be cool.
Erm...

Both Los Angeles and Atlanta are still feeling the affects of the Olympic games. LA is still recognized as how to make a successful Olympic event. The Olympics in Montreal and Moscow really left a bad taste in many people's mouths. Montreal with it's incomplete stadium and the Boycott of the Moscow games. People were scared to throw an Olympic event. LA, a proven choice since it held the 1932 Olympics under difficult situations (during the Great Depression and the relative isolation of Los Angeles at that time), showed the world that the US can hold a great Olympics. And it did. People in Los Angeles were terrified that the city couldn't handle the influx of the world. People thought that there would be endless gridlock, and riots across the city. But that was far from the case. Los Angeles shined during those games. Never had the city looked as beautiful as it did during the Olympics. LA, long known as a sports mecca in the US was overjoyed to have the Olympics there. Also, the 84 Olympics made over $200 million dollars (in 1984 money) which easily makes it the most successful Olympics ever in terms of a financial standpoint. Although, it has made it difficult to land a NFL team at the LA Coliseum seeing as how the day before the Olympics, the Coliseum was declared a National Historic site thus making it impossible to renovate the place.

Atlanta on the other hand, while throwing a 'less than stellar' Olympic event, has truly emerged as one of the truly great American cities. I don't think that Atlanta would be where it's at today in terms of development if it wasn't for the Olympics.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5869
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It's only time for South America if South America is ready, and Rio is not ready. If Rio were fighting any other city than Chicago I would probably support Rio out of sheer sympathy, but this is Chicago's moment. It is one of the greatest cities in the world.
Don't say bs... READ THE GODDAMN EVALUATION REPORT! If they think we're ready, we're freakin' ready! Accept it
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5870
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
I don't know what you're based on when you say that. When the IOC evaluated the applicant cities, both cities got similar grades (6.5 and 6.9). And in the final Evaluation Report, the IOC not only said Rio is ready, but gave Rio the most favourable judgement. How can Chicago be ready and Rio not?
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #5871
Wey
Recursive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
I don't know what you're based on when you say that. When the IOC evaluated the applicant cities, both cities got similar grades (6.5 and 6.9). And in the final Evaluation Report, the IOC not only said Rio is ready, but gave Rio the most favourable judgement. How can Chicago be ready and Rio not?
The answer is simple: his biased towards his countrys benefits and interests ALONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
I support Rio.

1.Rio
2.Chicago
3.Darwin
4.Madrid
5.Tokyo
WTF?
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #5872
japanese001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
The answer is simple: his biased towards his countrys benefits and interests ALONE.

WTF?
I want Australia to do it once again.
In an Asian side
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5873
Wey
Recursive

Ohh, ok! I thought you had meant the famous biologist

Anyway, Darwin's not even in the competition, so I guess no chance for now.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5874
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5793

Quote:
I still don't believe it, that's a lot of money to spend on ONE city, that isn't even the largest in Brazil. And considering Brazil is a developing country. I'll believe it when I see it. That's a large budget for Rio.
Probably you neve heard about PAC (Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento)

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...do_Crescimento

It has more than 300 bi U$ to be use in general infrastructure all over Brazil. It´s really huge.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5875
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5793

Quote:
Not according to OIC report!! We are mroe than ready, you should visit Brazil before saying meanless and stupid comments.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #5876
japanese001

I support Rio for Japan and a friendship of Brazil.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5877
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
Well I've been to Chicago, and I know they're ready. I don't think Rio is there yet. They don't have an extensive transit system and they don't have the amount of space needed to house all the people that will be coming to the Olympics.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5878
Jorge M

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Well I've been to Chicago, and I know they're ready. I don't think Rio is there yet. They don't have an extensive transit system and they don't have the amount of space needed to house all the people that will be coming to the Olympics.
You've been to Chicago so you know they're ready. That's OK.

You think Rio is not there yet. Have you also been to Rio?
Jorge M no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5879
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5880
JoseRP
@PueblaAntigua

Likes (Received): 3354

Quote:

for US not ? (Altanta 1996)

Madrid o Rio de Janeiro are my favorities.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016