daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5981
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
It wasn't a mess at all. Yes there were a few problems. The city at the time had like 450,000 people! I think the reason why the IOC picked Atlanta was because they were looking at the finacial power of Atlanta and also the infrastructure. Atlanta had/has more fortune 500 companies than Chicago does. Atlanta also had the worlds largest airport at the time(terminal space). Coca Cola's (HUGE contributor to the olympics.) headquarters are based in Atlanta. Also the people of Atlanta really wanted to host the Olympics.
Atlanta shouldn't have been a host, least of all back in the mid-90's IMO. I say that as an American who has been to Atlanta a few times. A games should go to a nations "elite" cities and I think there are at least half a dozen in the U.S. that would qualify as that before Atlanta.

That said I think those that often like to trip on how "bad it was" often overstate the case.

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #5982
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

South America and Brazil together for Rio 2016

I would like to write a little bit because I think that Rio de Janeiro must be chosen as host city for the 2016 Olympic Games next October 2 in Copenhagen (Denmark) and explain why I love you so much for our country after some experiments living and knowing a few parts of the world including U.S., Europe, some countries in South America and a bit of Asia during my 25 years, and fortunately, have known much of this huge and beautiful Brazil.

Not only is "the joy of our people" that account for this decision - even though I consider this the most relevant factor and that most distinguishes us from any other nation, as well as the river cities of Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo. But of course, for this choice of IOC members, should the prevailing technical factors, such as infrastructure, human factors and natural.

Are deciding the seat where there will be games and competitions and not what is the best city to live, but in my opinion and certainly in the opinion of thousands of people around the world, Rio de Janeiro is among the first on the list. In this variable, I would be in extreme doubt, beyond the Rio, between cities like New York, Paris, Madrid itself, London, Istanbul, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires.

The ideal city to live I would be more or less a mixture of all these. But as I want to meet so many other cities around the world, including Tokyo and Chicago, or must know them to be confident but we can organize an event of this size. Just to name a few, have demonstrated to the world our capacity for organization and safety in the Pan American Games and Para-Pan American in Rio de Janeiro in 2007, every year at parties like Mardi Gras and New Year bringing together millions of people of all parts of the world, stability, growth and maturing of our economy, we gain respect around the world, including through aid and Brazilian leadership to end the current financial crisis, the world leader in fighting poverty, for pioneering research, and advances technologies for a greener world and fighting diseases like AIDS, which is a reference.

Now, if to mention all the human and natural resources we have against our adversaries, it would take down many trees for paper is missing, and as a biologist, I have an obligation to preserve and fight for them also. Everyone is tired of knowing that people have the warmest and most hospitable in the world, more beautiful and harmonious blend of peoples and races, creeds and cultures, the highest diversity and natural mineral wealth, the largest sources of fresh water, the Amazon, the Pantanal, Iguassu Falls, the most beautiful beaches, landscapes and ecosystems in the world, and only the river already meets the mountains, beaches and a beautiful architecture inherited from the arrival of the royal family to Brazil.

We have numerous problems, it is true, but if it is to talk about problems, which city in the world do not have any? Cities like Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo also face many. In Brazil, thank God, do not suffer threats of terrorism, war or discrimination by religion or race. The civil war there in Rio and other Brazilian cities is highly controlled to an event like the Olympics because it will take many years of investment in education, job opportunities and investments in culture and sports as an Olympic legacy that will bring children and adolescents of all South America, so we can have more quality of life and dignity for a better future.

God willing, this will be with pride and joy that I want to celebrate the choice of Rio as host city for the 2016 Olympic Games! With the same joy that I celebrated the choice of Brazil to host the FIFA World Cup 2014! The same joy that I agreed with the choice of Rio de Janeiro, by Forbes magazine as the happiest city in the world! With the same pride that I speak for all the world where while I'm Brazilian! Because even advocating that every citizen should have the right to be a world citizen, I also think that the world and its citizens deserve to live the experience to know Brazil and fall in love with Rio de Janeiro!

Last edited by JR Nazareth; September 30th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #5983
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
NoGames Chicago did a huge protest against the Games. 6 were arrested!!Obviosly the city doesnt want it!!
Don't be a clown. It means no such thing.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5984
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Atlanta shouldn't have been a host, least of all back in the mid-90's IMO. I say that as an American who has been to Atlanta a few times. A games should go to a nations "elite" cities and I think there are at least half a dozen in the U.S. that would qualify as that before Atlanta.

That said I think those that often like to trip on how "bad it was" often overstate the case.
You shouldn't be so dogmatic. Also the candidates up for the bid against Atlanta obviously didn't have the best bid. Atlanta did and that's why it won. The IOC can't travel in time to actually witness what an olympics would be like to help decide a host city. They make their decisions based on the bid. Athens didn't even have a city rail system. They said that they were going to construct one but couldn't clarify where they would get the funds. This isn't the only reason Athens lost I'm sure and mind you this is just what I've read and it makes sense. I'm also glad that Athens waited or its olympics could have been worse. Click on this link. http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/O...996/1996v1.pdfIt should help

Last edited by Yrmom247; September 30th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5985
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post

We have numerous problems, it is true, but if it is to talk about problems, which city in the world do not have any? Cities like Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo also face many. In Brazil, thank God, do not suffer threats of terrorism, war or discrimination by religion or race. The civil war there in Rio and other Brazilian cities is highly controlled to an event like the Olympics because it will take many years of investment in education, job opportunities and investments in culture and sports as an Olympic legacy that will bring children and adolescents of all South America, so we can have more quality of life and dignity for a better future.

Any city hosting the Olympic Games could face any threat of terrorist attacks , not just Chicago, Madrid or TOkyo.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #5986
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I am far from the fight because I live in Itay and I can say that between four bids there is non fight.

Tokyo is the best, no Rio or Chicago have a bid that could be compared to Tokyo, but for political reasons will go to Rio.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #5987
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Any city hosting the Olympic Games could face any threat of terrorist attacks , not just Chicago, Madrid or TOkyo.
""In Brazil, thank God, do not suffer threats of terrorism, war or discrimination by religion or race."" this referring to ... Country: Brazil

Cities Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago, has problems like any other in the world.

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #5988
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

I know, but as i said, ANY city hosting the Olympic Games could be a potencial candidate for a terrorist attack, and that includes Rio de Janeiro not just Chicago or Madrid.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5989
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcity1 View Post
Madrid 2016 official: Rio has worst Olympics bid
Ohh SNAP!
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5990
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

I wonder what the IOC says about that ...

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #5991
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder what the IOC says about that ...
Well the fact that Rio is filing another complaint over nothing again, instead of trying make their point! I mean yeah, Rio is the riskiest of the 4 bids. There is little doubt about that.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #5992
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7169

As we get closer to the annoucement, I'm pretty sure it will be Chicago, unfortunately. But Rio's bid certainly made a possible future bid stronger.

My favourite is and will be Madrid, but of course it won't get the OG.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5993
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post
""In Brazil, thank God, do not suffer threats of terrorism, war or discrimination by religion or race."" this referring to ... Country: Brazil

Cities Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago, has problems like any other in the world.

What rubbish. Your jingoisitc assertions could be easily refuted or put into perspective but that would involve slinging mud which you are intent to do and exploiting Rios/Brazils problems to win an internet argument , I suggest others don't take the bait.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5994
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
OMG, people are so defensive around here!!! I'm sick and tired of having to elucidate every single word for individuals who all think the worst of everything we write! What a display of bad faith!

I haven't said a single word that might indicate any sort of offensive about "homossexuality", in fact, you have no idea about my own personal preferences! I could be as well a member of that category.

All I did, and all I wanted to do, was to express my surprise to discover that such an event existed, and to ask others if it was indeed and official IOC event.
When it comes to civility, nothing is taken for granted.

I will certainly accept your explanantion at face value. Note however that what some people would consider amusing (i.e., as in using the emoticon to express surprise their that there is such thing as Gay Games), others will not.
tpe no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5995
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Well the fact that Rio is filing another complaint over nothing again, instead of trying make their point! I mean yeah, Rio is the riskiest of the 4 bids. There is little doubt about that.
That's what i thought, i sad in another comment that they were always complaining as if they won the bid, i mean, why dont they just concentrate in these two critic days instead of filing another complaint. Im sure they will file another complaint to the IOC if they lose.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5996
zezin
Reaça com muito ♥

Likes (Received): 1590

in 3 days the cry will be free
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5997
JR Nazareth

Stars of various sports unite for Rio 2016

Olympic medalists and champions of various sports join the Rio de Janeiro campaign in Copenhagen

A selection of superstars has invaded Copenhagen to reinforce the Rio de Janeiro team as they bid to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016. Adriana Behar (beach volleyball), Bernard (volleyball), Cesar Cielo (swimming), Daiane dos Santos (gymnastics), Daniel Dias (Paralympic swimming), Gustavo Kuerten (tennis), Hydrangea (basketball), Elizabeth Swan (sailing), Janeth (basketball), Rosie (athletes) and Torben Grael (sailing), have joined up with Pelé to present the Rio 2016 project in the Danish capital where this Friday, 2 October, the International Olympic Committee will elect the host city of the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Pelé recalled that during his long career, he scored over a thousand goals and won the World Cup three times - but he also said that the Olympic gold medal is missing from his astonishing curriculum. "In my day, football players could not play in the Games. I still carry that dream and that is why I am here in Copenhagen. Sport has given me so much, including the opportunity to discover other countries and cultures. I know how much it can change people's lives, this is what motivates my enthusiasm for the Rio de Janeiro project," said the ‘King of Football’.

For many of the athletes, the Rio 2016 sports venues are part of their everyday lives. "I learned to sail on Guanabara Bay, it’s a very special place to train and compete. Every time I'm there, I think about the special privilege I have. I am very proud to participate in this historic moment for Brazilian sport," said sailor Isabel Swan, bronze medalist at the Beijing Games in 2008, referring to the location Rio de Janeiro plans to use as its Olympic sailing venue.

At the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, Daniel Dias won nine medals, including four gold. And he wants to repeat the experience in front of a Brazilian crowd in 2016. "Rio 2016 will leave a huge legacy and will change the history of our Olympic and Paralympic sport. Rio de Janeiro has a beautiful project and is ready to host the Games in 2016. It will be a great opportunity and I hope to win another nine medals,” joked Daniel.
After moving the world with his tears on top of the podium at the Beijing Games, Cesar Cielo said that his Olympic experience changed his life. "I know the impact that an event like this would have on Brazil and South America. I am proud of everything I have achieved, to help bring the Olympics to my country would be incredibly exciting," said the swimmer.
With two Olympic medals to her name, Janeth is a leader off the basketball courts as well as on. Since 2002, she has been managing the Janeth Arcain Institute, which helps young people aged 7 to 15 years. "I've taken part in four editions of the Olympic Games and won two medals. Now, working with children, I see the excitement in their eyes, they want to achieve the same. The Olympic Games would leave a tremendous legacy for Rio de Janeiro and serve as inspiration for new generations of athletes,“ said Janeth.

http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Noticia...dConteudo=1039
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5998
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
That's what i thought, i sad in another comment that they were always complaining as if they won the bid, i mean, why dont they just concentrate in these two critic days instead of filing another complaint. Im sure they will file another complaint to the IOC if they lose.
Well Rio is drawing attention to the fact that they have the weakest of the 4 bids by filing the complaint. They should have just shut up about it.
Onn no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5999
JR Nazareth

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6000
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I don't know what want Brazilian, they have football World Championship two years before.Insn't enough?
Mr.Underground no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016