daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6001
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

The IOC must raise an eyebrow if the candidate city has no one or group protest the Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Rio had? show me where or when?

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #6002
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
When it comes to civility, nothing is taken for granted.

I will certainly accept your explanantion at face value. Note however that what some people would consider amusing (i.e., as in using the emoticon to express surprise their that there is such thing as Gay Games), others will not.
Ok, I understand how I led to that misinterpretation

Anyway, let's let it to the past
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #6003
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
I don't know what want Brazilian, they have football World Championship two years before.Insn't enough?
This has been discussed before

WORLD CUP USA 94 (BRAZIL CHAMPION)
ATLANTA 96

WORLD CUP: EVENT MADE BY ONE COUNTRY, WITH SEVERAL CITIES VENUES - WORLD CUP 2014 IN BRAZIL, 12 GREAT SEATS .....
WORLD CUP: THE CITY SITE IS LIABLE FOR ITS STRUCTURE.
(INVESTMENTS WELCOME BY VARIOUS SECTORS, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT)

Olympics: EVENT HELD IN A CITY ... TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE SUPPORT OF LOCAL AND NATIONAL.
(INVESTMENTS MUNICIPAL / STATE AND FEDERAL)

RIO DE JANEIRO (WORD CUP) .... RECEIVE A UNIQUE INVESTMENT IN INFRASTRUCTURE, used to OLympics
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #6004
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Atlanta shouldn't have been a host, least of all back in the mid-90's IMO. I say that as an American who has been to Atlanta a few times. A games should go to a nations "elite" cities and I think there are at least half a dozen in the U.S. that would qualify as that before Atlanta.
That said I think those that often like to trip on how "bad it was" often overstate the case.
So there are 6 U.S. cities more deserving of the Olympics than Atlanta? Where were their bids in 1996?

Considering all of the cities in the U.S., Atlanta must be one of it's nation's elite cities - being in the top 10.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; October 1st, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #6005
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post
This has been discussed before

WORLD CUP USA 94 (BRAZIL CHAMPION)
ATLANTA 96

WORLD CUP: EVENT MADE BY ONE COUNTRY, WITH SEVERAL CITIES VENUES - WORLD CUP 2014 IN BRAZIL, 12 GREAT SEATS .....
WORLD CUP: THE CITY SITE IS LIABLE FOR ITS STRUCTURE.
(INVESTMENTS WELCOME BY VARIOUS SECTORS, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT)

Olympics: EVENT HELD IN A CITY ... TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE SUPPORT OF LOCAL AND NATIONAL.
(INVESTMENTS MUNICIPAL / STATE AND FEDERAL)

RIO DE JANEIRO (WORD CUP) .... RECEIVE A UNIQUE INVESTMENT IN INFRASTRUCTURE, used to OLympics

For you, be honest, the bid of Rio is the better? Be honest.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #6006
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
May I answer? The best bid is Tokyon, on a nockout! Second, come tied-up Chicago and Rio, ans the last, Madrid.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM   #6007
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
May I answer? The best bid is Tokyon, on a nockout! Second, come tied-up Chicago and Rio, ans the last, Madrid.
The question was for JR Nazareth.

From my point of view, far fom every city, the rank is:

Tokyo (vote 10)
Madrid (vote 7)
Rio (vote 5,5)
Chicago (vote 4)
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6008
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
So there are 6 U.S. cities more deserving of the Olympics than Atlanta? Where were their bids in 1996?

Considering all of the cities in the U.S., Atlanta must be one of it's nations elite cities - being in the top 10.
They didn't, if London had won in 2012 or even bid that doesn't mean Liverpool should have?

I think there are only five or six American metros which have the allure to warrant getting a games and Atlanta wouldn't necessarily be among them. That may sound arrogant and I recognize that is just my personal opinion but that is how I see it.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM   #6009
JR Nazareth

Quote:

NOT THE BEST, BUT IS MORE SECURE TO MAKE ON THE FINANCE AND SUPPORT.

(In contrast, there IS ONLY SUPPORT FROM RESIDENTS OF THE CITY AND YES OF A NATION THAT spotting GAMES AS A PROCESSING OF LIVES)

THIS IS MY OPINION, ESPECIALLY AFTER READING THE REPORT OF THE IOC ...

Tokyo has an awesome, BUT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT A DETAIL INSPECTORS SAW "HAD PLACES AS YOU WOULD BE READY TO BUILD, THAT ATE TOKYO TODAY NOT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN"

The IOC ... FOR THE PROJECT ARE NOT ONLY BEAUTIFUL stadium, and YES WARRANTY DELIVER PROJECT READY.
AND STILL WORK THAT TECHNICAL RIO DE JANEIRO, PRESENTED TO BE THE BEST ...
(* NOT WANT TO WORK CONTEMPT OF CITIES (MADRID, Chicago and Tokyo), DESERVE RESPECT, ALL CITIES did a great job ... IF YOU WIN RIO DE JANEIRO, would be very happy ...)
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM   #6010
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Sure, in U.S.A. better tha Atlanta we have (in order):

- NYC
- San Francisco
- Chicago
- Los Angeles

And maybe Seattle.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM   #6011
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

Can you please not post in capitals, it's difficult to read and is bad manners. Thanks.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6012
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:

(In contrast, there IS ONLY SUPPORT FROM RESIDENTS OF THE CITY AND YES OF A NATION THAT spotting GAMES AS A PROCESSING OF LIVES)

THIS IS MY OPINION, ESPECIALLY AFTER READING THE REPORT OF THE IOC ...

Tokyo has an awesome, BUT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THAT A DETAIL INSPECTORS SAW "HAD PLACES AS YOU WOULD BE READY TO BUILD, THAT ATE TOKYO TODAY NOT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN"

The IOC ... FOR THE PROJECT ARE NOT ONLY BEAUTIFUL stadium, and YES WARRANTY DELIVER PROJECT READY.
AND STILL WORK THAT TECHNICAL RIO DE JANEIRO, PRESENTED TO BE THE BEST ...
(* NOT WANT TO WORK CONTEMPT OF CITIES (MADRID, Chicago and Tokyo), DESERVE RESPECT, ALL CITIES did a great job ... IF YOU WIN RIO DE JANEIRO, would be very happy ...)
Yes, but IOC should risk on the better bid, so on Tokyo. When you become host city, you find the money.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6013
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:

You are talking out of your behind. All four cities have finacial guarentees and backing just as much as Rio does, including Chicago (it has just fallen largely on the shoulders of the municipal and state level).
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM   #6014
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
You are talking out of your behind. All four cities have finacial guarentees and backing just as much as Rio does, including Chicago (it has just fallen largely on the shoulders of the municipal and state level).
No, Chicago no. Read the report, Chicago have not financial garantee and is the most expansive bid too.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM   #6015
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
No, Chicago no. Read the report, Chicago have not financial garantee and is the most expansive bid too.

Yikes, I am from Chicago I think I would know the developments going on in my own city. Two weeks the city council unanimously voted to pick up the bill for any and all cost overruns however much they may be.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM   #6016
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:

Yikes, I am from Chicago I think I would know the developments going on in my own city. Two weeks the city council unanimously voted to pick up the bill for any and all cost overruns however much they may be.
About Chicago I hate the sense of temporary for every venues, stadium included. The legact seems to be too weak for an Olympic games.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM   #6017
JR Nazareth

Quote:
Yes, but IOC should risk on the better bid, so on Tokyo. When you become host city, you find the money.
Precisely this is the difference from Rio to other cities, the financial investment to the places, already exists ...
For infrastructure, several projects are already being made, as urbanization of areas in need, generating employment for the residents of these regions ... (This project PAC - Program to Accelerate Growth, is the Federal Government)
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6018
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
About Chicago I hate the sense of temporary for every venues, stadium included. The legact seems to be too weak for an Olympic games.
Actually, that makes perfect sense to have temporary venues. Chicago for example. The Olympic Stadium in Chicago will seat around 80,000 people. But Soldier Field, which is about, oh, 3 miles to the north seats around 60,000 people. Why would you want to have 2 very large stadiums right next to each other?

Atlanta is another example. Everyone knew that Atlanta's Olympic Stadium would be given a second life as Turner Field which is why it was shaped the way it was.

London's Olympic Stadium is temporary too. Would you rather have a stadium that is used more often but much small than it was during the Olympics (Atlanta, Sydney) or a Olympic stadium that, while being the size it was during the Olympics, is almost NEVER used after the Olympics (Beijing, Montreal)?
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM   #6019
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Looks like Jordan's coming.

Ho, Hum, Obama: Now Comes the Real Olympic Surprise

September 28th, 2009 by washington

Now that we’ve gotten Barack Obama out of the way, look for some real surprises later this week in Chicago’s quest for the 2106 Olympian rings.

Sources close to the Chicago 2016 delegation tell me there’s plans for some high drama, highlighted by a big surprise or two.

Until today, many speculated that Obama would play coy until the 11th hour, and swoop into Copenhagen for a “surprise” visit. Now the Obama trip is definitely on. The White House has confirmed that the president and his wife “will both make presentations to the IOC during Friday’s session,” the AP reports. The White House says “they will discuss why Chicago is best to host the 2016 Summer Games, and how the United States is eager to bring the world together to celebrate the ideals of the Olympic movement.” The International Olympic Committee will take a final vote on the 2016 site on Friday.

So now, look for the other shoe to drop: A certain size 13 Air Nike, worn by America’s most famous living athlete—Michael Jordan.

Last week, after a month of speculation, the Jordan option seemed to vanish when his name failed to appear on an official roster of the “presentation team” headed for Denmark for Friday’s big decision.

Estee Portnoy, a spokesperson for the basketball phenom, told ABC-7: “I am not able to confirm Michael’s plans. He continues to be extremely supportive. He’s done everything the committee has asked him to do.” (I am unable to confirm—right now)

That sounds like the door is still open for Jordan to make a bombshell appearance by joining Chicago’s “Olympic Dream Team,” led by mega stars like the Obamas, and talk queen Oprah Winfrey.

It wouldn’t be a bad spot for His Airness to land. The Bull’s star and two-time Olympian is still the best-known American in many corners of the world. And it’s about time for some payback to the city that made him famous. Besides, even if Jordan is only motivated by self-interest, he would be doing himself a major favor as well. It would give him a chance to be gracious and rescue a reputation sullied by what some call his recent “petty” and “resentment-tinged” acceptance speech at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Will he or won’t he? I’m betting the Chicago team is plotting to get Jordan on stage in Denmark, where he can do his trademark “I’m back” dance one more time—help Chicago make history—one more time.
http://www.thewashingtonreport.org/?p=288
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM   #6020
JR Nazareth

Lula reveals that called Obama to go to Copenhagen, 'There is no rivalry'

Brazilian president told the American that it was important the presence of heads of state in the final race of the 2016 Olympic Games

GLOBOESPORTE.COM
Copenhagen

Lula arrives in Copenhagen to support the River Landing in Copenhagen on Wednesday, President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said that is not concerned with the arrival of Barack Obama, scheduled for Friday. Trump's application of Rio de Janeiro to host the Games in 2016, Lula said that he asked the American president who went to the Chicago to support Denmark in the final stretch of the race. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will choose, on Friday, the winning city. Madrid and Tokyo also are in contention.

Obama's trip to Copenhagen was confirmed only on Monday by the White House. Until then, the U.S. president said that the issue of health reform would prevent his going. He will arrive at 7 am (local time) on Friday and will have three hours to show their support for the candidacy Chicago 2016 at Bella Center, the conference center where the vote will be held at headquarters.

- There's no rivalry. I even talked to Obama that he came because he told me that his wife would come. And I said, it is important you go, because I go and Marisa (First Lady of Brazil). So be two against one. But I think there are also Zapatero, Prime Minister Hatoyama, will see the Obama ... And I think it's important, because all are representing their countries, trying to ask for votes - said the president.

Lula waxed rhapsodic cities finalists, but said that the Rio de Janeiro is infinitely more beautiful.

- This is an extremely important opportunity for Brazil to show your face to the world. If our country win, you win three countries very strong, three beautiful cities. But, as beautiful as they are, Rio de Janeiro is infinitely more beautiful - he said.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esport...E+NENHUMA.html

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016