daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM   #6021
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcity1 View Post

Also, the Atlanta'96 Olympics were completely overshadowed by the WC event two years before that. It's unlikely the IOC will make the same mistake again.
what? How were the olympics overshowdowed by it. I didn't even know we hosted the 94 WC til this year when I started reading this forum. The 96 olympics were huge news in the US and every advertisement was bragging about how they were a an offical olympic sponsor. Many years after the event you still saw people wearing clothing with atlanta 96 logos on them. I have never seen anybody in the US wearing 94 WC clothing ever.
weava no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #6022
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 269

The better realized venue presentaiton is the one from Rio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post

Last edited by Gerardogt; October 1st, 2009 at 04:29 AM.
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM   #6023
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
The better realizated venue presentaiton is the one from Rio.
did you just invent a word?
Ganis no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM   #6024
Andre«B
Andre«B

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
The better realizated venue presentaiton is the one from Rio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
did you just invent a word?
In portuguese... "Realizar" = To make.
It's a very common mistake for portuguese speakers when translating in english.
Andre«B no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM   #6025
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Something that I think no one has actually said. People (obviously moreso from Brazil than anywhere else) have stated numerous times that Rio (South America) has never hosted an Olympic event. Neither has Chicago. Matter of fact, Chicago won the right to host the 1904 Olympic Games but it was STOLEN by St. Louis.

People say that America has hosted the Summer Olympics too many times. Lesee....St. Louis in 1904, Los Angeles in 1932 and 1984, and Atlanta 1996. London will have hosted the games for the third time come 2012. But London is in Europe so that means nothing.

And Lula is really pissing me off. He says that 'it isn't fair that the US has hosted the Olympics for an eighth time.' There are only a few countries geographically able to host both the Summer and Winter Games, no other country put in bids for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games (1932 was due to the Global Depression and 1984 because no one wanted to end up like Montreal among other reasons) and the United States is one of the largest countries in the world in terms of population, consistently sending one of the largest delegations to the Olympics, so, proportionally, it should be more likely to host the Olympics multiple times.

If that doesn't make any sense to you than something is clearly wrong with you.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:31 AM   #6026
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Something that I think no one has actually said. People (obviously moreso from Brazil than anywhere else) have stated numerous times that Rio (South America) has never hosted an Olympic event. Neither has Chicago. Matter of fact, Chicago won the right to host the 1904 Olympic Games but it was STOLEN by St. Louis.

People say that America has hosted the Summer Olympics too many times. Lesee....St. Louis in 1904, Los Angeles in 1932 and 1984, and Atlanta 1996. London will have hosted the games for the third time come 2012. But London is in Europe so that means nothing.

And Lula is really pissing me off. He says that 'it isn't fair that the US has hosted the Olympics for an eighth time.' There are only a few countries geographically able to host both the Summer and Winter Games, no other country put in bids for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games (1932 was due to the Global Depression and 1984 because no one wanted to end up like Montreal among other reasons) and the United States is one of the largest countries in the world in terms of population, consistently sending one of the largest delegations to the Olympics, so, proportionally, it should be more likely to host the Olympics multiple times.

yeah, don't blame us that the world is finally catching up to North America/Europe in being able to hosting these kinds of things.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM   #6027
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Thank you for doing your research. It seems like no one on here thinks that they should check their facts before they post certain statements.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM   #6028
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

I was not talking about the effects here in the U.S. In fact, it was a failure in terms of "international marketing" for the IOC. I strongly believe they won't make the same mistake again by awarding the Games to the city/country that will host the WC event 2 years before the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
what? How were the olympics overshowdowed by it. I didn't even know we hosted the 94 WC til this year when I started reading this forum. The 96 olympics were huge news in the US and every advertisement was bragging about how they were a an offical olympic sponsor. Many years after the event you still saw people wearing clothing with atlanta 96 logos on them. I have never seen anybody in the US wearing 94 WC clothing ever.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #6029
soup or man
Avant Garde

Standing in front of a backdrop of the Chicago skyline, U.S. first lady Michelle Obama finishes speaking at a dinner in support Chicago hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009, in Copenhagen. Michelle Obama has joined the Chicago 2016 bid team who are competing with Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro for the right to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. The IOC will choose the winning city in a vote on Friday, Oct. 2, in Copenhagen. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, Pool)

Standing in front of a backdrop of the Chicago skyline, U.S. first lady Michelle Obama is introduced by television host Oprah Winfrey before speaking at a dinner in support Chicago hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009, in Copenhagen. Michelle Obama has joined the Chicago 2016 bid team who are competing with Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro for the right to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. The IOC will choose the winning city in a vote on Friday, Oct. 2, in Copenhagen. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, Pool)

Television host Oprah Winfrey and senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett listen as U.S. first lady Michelle Obama speaks at a dinner in support Chicago hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics, Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009, in Copenhagen. Michelle Obama has joined the Chicago 2016 bid team who are competing with Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro for the right to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. The IOC will choose the winning city in a vote on Friday, Oct. 2, in Copenhagen. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak, Pool)

For Immediate Release September 30, 2009

REMARKS BY THE FIRST LADY

AT MAYOR DALEY'S WELCOME RECEPTION

Admiral Hotel

Copenhagen, Denmark

8:03 P.M. CEST

MRS. OBAMA: Thank you, everybody. So, as my husband would say, we are fired up and ready to go in here. (Applause.) It's a good thing. Well, first let me begin by thanking my dear friend, my chit-chat buddy, Oprah Winfrey. She talks about me coming here without hesitation. This is a woman who's got a pretty busy schedule - taping shows, traveling across the globe, a woman with a full plate. I think that folks out there should understand how Chicagoans, even those who weren't born and raised here, feel a passion about the city, so much so that we dropped everything - dropped everything - to be a part of this team. So I want to give Ms. Winfrey a round of applause as well. (Applause.)

One reporter asked me in a press briefing, "So, what do you think Oprah adds to the team?" I said, "Oprah is Oprah." (Laughter.) What more do you have to say? I said every single city who's bidding wishes they had Oprah on their team, and we have her, and we are grateful that she is a part of this endeavor. (Applause.)

It is so nice to see so many familiar faces. I mean, we really do miss Chicago. We've made a wonderful home in D.C. The girls are great; Grandma is good. Bo is no longer a puppy; he's a big dog now. (Laughter.) But it's wonderful to reconnect to my hometown.

When I looked at the bid initially, I was overwhelmed by what a beautiful concept was presented. You know, everything about this bid speaks to what the city has to offer. Having the Games right along that beautiful, glorious lakefront; using the existing park structure to ensure that we're making the kinds of investments and we'll have the kind of wonderful leave-behinds that will benefit the city over the long run; the notion that Olympic athletes who visit the city will live centrally, they'll be 15 minutes from any competition site, that they'll be able to walk, ride or bus to some of the greatest cultural offerings that this nation, that this world has to offer - it will be an athlete's paradise in so many ways, and we will have it at a time in the city's climate that will actually be nice. (Laughter.) The lake won't be frozen over.

So I am thrilled. I am proud of our bid, and I am proud of this team. And I have to ask you, are we ready to go with this, right? You ready to go? (Applause.)

This bid also means a lot to me personally because, as First Lady, as many of you know, I've made it a priority to bridge the gap between the White House and communities across D.C. and across the country. I've spent much of my first nine months trying to open the doors to the White House to kids who might not otherwise see themselves having access to these institutions, because that's where I came from - communities like that where kids never dreamed that they could set foot in the White House, let alone live there.

So I've wanted to open the doors of the White House and bring new opportunities to so many young kids - kids living in the midst of power and prestige, fortune and fame, but never really seeing their connections to those institutions.

And Barack and I made a point of doing the same thing when we lived in Chicago - making the concerns of kids in all sorts of communities our own, because we have been on both sides of that bridge. In so many ways, we have lived full lives on both sides of that bridge. And for me, this is one of the best reasons I can think of to bring the Olympics to our city.

We need all of our children to be exposed to the Olympic ideals that athletes from around the world represent, particularly this time in our nation's history, where athletics is becoming more of a fleeting opportunity. Funds dry up so it becomes harder for kids to engage in sports, to learn how to swim, to even ride a bike. When we're seeing rates of childhood obesity increase, it is so important for us to raise up the platform of fitness and competition and fair play; to teach kids to cheer on the victors and empathize with those in defeat, but most importantly, to recognize that all the hard work that is required to do something special.

I remember watching the Olympics when I was little. I remember it to the T, some of those memories. And Nadia Comaneci is here, who - (applause) - and so many incredible Olympic athletes. But I remember, I told this story, when you scored that perfect 10, you bounced off the balance beam, off the parallel bars. I thought I could do that. (Laughter.) I didn't know then that I would be 5'11". (Laughter.)

But it was - it was an activity in our household when it was time for the Olympic Games, all of us gathered around the TV cheering on and being inspired by people who were doing things that were beyond belief. And I just think, wouldn't it be great if that kind of spirit was happening right down the street in our community? Just think of that. Kids and communities across the city, in Austin, kids who grew up in Cabrini, kids who live so far from the city. Now just imagine if all of that was happening right in their own backyard. That's what I think about. (Applause.)

It does something to a kid when they can feel that energy and power up close and personal. And for some kids in our communities and our city, around the nation, around the world, they can never dream of being that close to such power and opportunity. So that's what excites me most about bringing the Games to Chicago - the impact that it can have on the lives of our young people, and on our entire community.

And I know that's what all of you have been working for for these past few months. As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the President to come for these few days, so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home, and you have put together a phenomenal set of ideas that, no matter what the outcome is, we should be proud of as a city. (Applause.)

So now is the time for us to pull it through, you know. As Barack and I have looked at this, this is like a campaign. (Laughter.) Just like Iowa. (Laughter.) You got to - and the international community may not understand that, but Iowa is like a caucus, and you can't take any vote for granted. Nobody makes the decision until they're sitting there.

So the next few days really provide us with a real opportunity to hold some hands, to have some conversations, to share our visions, to make the world understand that this is an opportunity for the United States to connect to the world in a really important way at a very critical time, and for each of us to show them our passion and sincerity to be part of the world in a very special way, and to let people know that we understand that sports saves lives, that it makes dreams come true, that it creates visions in kids' heads to make them think they can be the next David Robinson, the next Barack Obama, the next Nadia Comaneci, the next Oprah Winfrey. Those dreams have to start somewhere, and for so many, they start when they watch the Olympics. And if we can show people that we understand that power and that possibility, then they will have the confidence that not only will we have the city - the Olympics in a city that works, but will execute this thing with the kind of passion and openness and sincerity that the world so greatly wants to see in us.

So let's get it done. Thank you so much.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM   #6030
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
But London is in Europe so that means nothing.
why??? London last hosted it in 1945 not 1996. As much as you can make comments why America is so great and should host it more than anyone else. there are about 200 countries in the world and not one of them deserves to hold it more than anyone else. the olympics is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event for the people of the country, if it is given to the same country every 20 years its significance is reduced.
Having said that I have no doubt that Chicago would put on a great games.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM   #6031
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcity1 View Post
I was not talking about the effects here in the U.S. In fact, it was a failure in terms of "international marketing" for the IOC. I strongly believe they won't make the same mistake again by awarding the Games to the city/country that will host the WC event 2 years before the Olympics.
My only arguement is that the majority of Americans could care less about soccer. I for one had no idea we hosted the WC in 94 up until today and I like soccer. Most Brazilians are crazy about soccer. The world cup is huge for them.

Last edited by Yrmom247; October 1st, 2009 at 02:21 AM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM   #6032
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
why??? London last hosted it in 1945 not 1996. As much as you can make comments why America is so great and should host it more than anyone else. there are about 200 countries in the world and not one of them deserves to hold it more than anyone else. the olympics is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event for the people of the country, if it is given to the same country every 20 years its significance is reduced.
Actually, on average, the US puts forward more athletes than any other country does. So the scale could be considered a little tipped. Not every 20 years tipped, but when a good American bid comes along the IOC probably feels compelled to seriously consider it. And Chicago is as good as it gets.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM   #6033
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Actually, London last hosted the Olympics in 1948. WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games.

And I'm not saying that one country deserves the games more than the other. What I AM saying is that for all of those people bashing the US saying it doesn't deserve the games without giving a clear reason why not really should think before they speak. Any of the other cities I can honestly say that would throw a very memorable Olympic event.

Also, while it's true that there are lots of cities and countries in the world, are any of them really able to hold the Olympics? Doha put in a bid but the entire country has a little more than a million people (which is pretty small in relation to the over 300 million in the US, 127 in Japan, 191 million in Brazil, and 46 million in Spain. Plus it is one of the hottest places on earth.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM   #6034
JR Nazareth

NEWS TEAM WORK RIO 2016

Stars of Sport and our beloved Brazilian President LULA

JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM   #6035
rsol2000

Likes (Received): 8681

^
http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio2016/video/2009/14746/
rsol2000 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:21 AM   #6036
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

Oprah is there? It's over then! Sorry Rio, Madrid, and Tokyo
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #6037
JR Nazareth

Paulo Coelho arrives in Copenhagen to strengthen the candidacy of Rio 2016
Writer will give books to the wives of members of the IOC on Thursday

Rafael Maranh„o
Direct from Copenhagen

Paulo Coelho arrives at hotel in Copenhagen It was after 23h in Copenhagen when one of the last ribs of the Brazilian delegation in the campaign for the 2016 Olympic Games arrived at the hotel-based Rio 2016. The writer Paulo Coelho in his luggage brought dozens of books translated for different languages to give away the wives of 70 members of the International Olympic Committee at a luncheon, on Thursday.

- I said bring books in English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and other languages to make them aware of the importance of the Olympics in Brazil. Everyone has had that chance. Rio has conditions. I'm sure people will be receptive - the writer said that, even late at night, was stopped by almost all circulating through the lobby of the hotel.
Paulo Coelho states that it believed the chances of Rio de Janeiro when he was invited to participate in the campaign by the Minister of Sports, Orlando Silva, the end of 2006. But the writer says that the picture now is completely different.

- I have great admiration for those who do not care who says it is not possible. What changed was not because of the campaign by Brazil, but the large capacity of all who are fighting for the candidacy.

Despite the praise, Paulo Coelho said he prefers to be cautious, not optimistic.
- I'd rather not be too optimistic a person ahead of time. If you say everything is favorable, people end up loosing the last minute, on the line of arrival. But I see people here fighting until the last second.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esport...RA+DE+RIO.html
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:28 AM   #6038
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx View Post
Oprah is there? It's over then! Sorry Rio, Madrid, and Tokyo
She picked our president you know.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM   #6039
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:31 AM   #6040
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:

London's Olympic Stadium is temporary too. Would you rather have a stadium that is used more often but much small than it was during the Olympics (Atlanta, Sydney) or a Olympic stadium that, while being the size it was during the Olympics, is almost NEVER used after the Olympics (Beijing, Montreal, Athens)?
Don't forget Athens

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016