daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM   #6041
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

Maurren Maggi - Olympic champion in long jump

"The 2007 Pan American Games was a success. It would be very important for Brazilian athletes have an Olympics in Brazil, to validate the South American continent, to grow the sport domestically. Let's make the best party possible "

Leandro Guilheiro - judoka double bronze medalist in Olympics

"I think in terms of infrastructure, everyone will end up enjoying the improvements that we will end up living. They further opportunities for everyone. I think it will be a great motivation factor for the kids that are coming up. I am a fan number 1 of this contract "

Thiago Pereira - swimmer owns six golds at the Pan Rio 2007

"It's a place that always has a different reason. There's no other place in the world that has a wonderful crowd like ours. I am very confident"

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esport...ES+CANDID.html
JR Nazareth no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:33 AM   #6042
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrmom247 View Post
She picked our president you know.
And gave away a bunch of cars.

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:35 AM   #6043
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
CAN YOU FEEL THE POWWA?!
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:38 AM   #6044
soup or man
Avant Garde

Michelle is such a graceful woman.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM   #6045
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

She is, I know she'll do a good job talking to the IOC members.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM   #6046
soup or man
Avant Garde

Go back a page and read her speech I posted.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM   #6047
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
She picked our president you know.
Additionally she has now picked thet city to host the Olympic games in 2016.
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:45 AM   #6048
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Don't forget Athens
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:51 AM   #6049
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Go back a page and read her speech I posted.
Nice! I really think she is the best possible person they could send to represent Chicago. I know President Obama would like to be there and all, but....I don't think he has quite the charm she does. And after Putin and Blair lobbying the IOC members the last two times, this should be considered a significant upgrade. No stuck up bureaucrats in sight.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM   #6050
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post

It does something to a kid when they can feel that energy and power up close and personal. And for some kids in our communities and our city, around the nation, around the world, they can never dream of being that close to such power and opportunity. So that's what excites me most about bringing the Games to Chicago - the impact that it can have on the lives of our young people, and on our entire community.

Shes so right. I experienced Atlanta 1996 living in the Metro-Atlanta area when I was a kid. It has made a lasting effect on me. I'm literally obsessed with the Olympics because of it.

Last edited by Yrmom247; October 1st, 2009 at 03:17 AM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM   #6051
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezin View Post
Americans are so arrogant, cost nothing to wait until 2020 or 2024 ... hehe

You're not helping the image of Brazilians by resorting to spiteful name-calling.

I think that most Amercians/Chicagoans think that Chicago is an incredible city and would love for the Olympics to be in Chicago....but also know that Rio is a great city as well, and would be very deserving of the Olympics too. All 4 cities, for that matter, are great cities and would be deserving of the Olympics. Instead of bashing the other cities that their own city is going up against, people should just stick to highlighting the good things about their own city.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM   #6052
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Nice! I really think she is the best possible person they could send to represent Chicago. I know President Obama would like to be there and all, but....I don't think he has quite the charm she does. And after Putin and Blair lobbying the IOC members the last two times, this should be considered a significant upgrade. No stuck up bureaucrats in sight.
President Obama is joining Michelle there and every other country has a head of state there so plenty of bureaucrats.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM   #6053
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
President Obama is joining Michelle there and every other country has a head of state there so plenty of bureaucrats.
I said "stuck up" bureaucrats.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:25 AM   #6054
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Something to think about! Obama is not going to go to Copenhagen to be embarrassed later by the IOC choosing another city! These things are decided before hand. He would lose political capital if he went over there but Chicago was not chosen for 2016. Chicago will be the site of the 2016 Olympics!
Smallville no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM   #6055
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Something to think about! Obama is not going to go to Copenhagen to be embarrassed later by the IOC choosing another city! These things are decided before hand. He would lose political capital if he went over there but Chicago was not chosen for 2016. Chicago will be the site of the 2016 Olympics!
You need to do some research before you go posting random assumptions.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM   #6056
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Although it would be great if this were the case, I don't think that it is. If Chicago was a sure thing (or if it were to not have much of a chance), it wouldn't make sense for Obama to use political capital when his being in Copenhagen wouldn't make any difference on the outcome....not to mention, take away a day he could have spent working on health-care reform.

I think the reason why Obama is going is because it is looking more and more like it is going to be an EXTREMELY close race between Chicago and Rio....so he realizes that if he can even only swing 2 or 3 votes by going to Copenhagen, giving an amazing speech, and spending a little time face-to-face with some of the voters, those 2 or 3 votes could very well be the difference between winning and losing.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM   #6057
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Although it would be great if this were the case, I don't think that it is. If Chicago was a sure thing (or if it were to not have much of a chance), it wouldn't make sense for Obama to use political capital when his being in Copenhagen wouldn't make any difference on the outcome....not to mention, take away a day he could have spent working on health-care reform.

I think the reason why Obama is going is because it is looking more and more like it is going to be an EXTREMELY close race between Chicago and Rio....so he realizes that if he can even only swing 2 or 3 votes by going to Copenhagen, giving an amazing speech, and spending a little time face-to-face with some of the voters, those 2 or 3 votes could very well be the difference between winning and losing.
Well there could be some truth to it though, is the IOC really going to send the President of the United States home empty handed? Unlikely.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM   #6058
Robin155

Onn the Olympic being held in South America for the first time is bigger then Obama. That why Rio is likely to win.
Robin155 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM   #6059
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 270

It's about empathy, not power, i trust on Brazil!, Rio deserves 2016 olympic games, and if it's not Brazil, must be Madrid, concerning to Chicago's bid, i think that the main objective of the 2016 games in Chicago it's political, and not centered on promote the city by itself, by far, the main interest is to elevate the image of a country that as a world power is loosing hegemony and it's getting deteriorated.

Last edited by Gerardogt; October 1st, 2009 at 05:19 AM.
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM   #6060
CondeD

Likes (Received): 248

This topic goes nowhere... For one reason: a chicagoan thinks Chicago has the best bid, a carioca thinks their city has it, and so on Madrid and Tokyo...
We all know that each city has potential to host an Olympic Games! The IOC has evaluated each one of them, for God sake!
I´ve read so many agressive comments regarding Rio's bid, that it has no minimal estructure or guarantees, blah, blah, blah...
What I know is that Rio is putting all efforts to bring the games and they'll intend to use it to revitalize the city.
All attacks direct to Rio's bid shows how strong contender they're at this point, otherwise people woudn't care.

So please, let's keep the debate in a high level, respecting all...
Again, all cities deserve to host the OG, may not be the city we want and support, but I'm sure that will be the best choice.
CondeD no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016