daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM   #6061
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin155 View Post
Onn the Olympic being held in South America for the first time is bigger then Obama. That why Rio is likely to win.
If Rio was ready I’d agreed, but that's not an excuse for them to win. Just because South America has never held one, they'll get an olympics when they're really ready to hold one. Which could be 2020. I really don't think President Obama would spend the time and money to come if he did not think Chicago had a pretty good chance at winning.
Onn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:16 AM   #6062
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
If Rio was ready I’d agreed, but that's not an excuse for them to win. Just because South America has never held one, they'll get an olympics when they're really ready to hold one. Which could be 2020. I really don't think President Obama would spend the time and money to come if he did not think Chicago had a pretty good chance at winning.
For the last time, we are more than ready!! We bid for the games 3 times!!! WE probably are more ready than Chicago which is their first bid.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:21 AM   #6063
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
For the last time, we are more than ready!! We bid for the games 3 times!!! WE probably are more ready than Chicago which is their first bid.
Chicago has WON the Olympics before - in 1904 - but they were moved to St. Louis. So I'm pretty sure Chicago has bid before.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM   #6064
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
Well there could be some truth to it though, is the IOC really going to send the President of the United States home empty handed? Unlikely.
I don't see why not. A US Prez is not JC or something. Eventually if it becomes routine for head statesmen to appeal to the IOC then there will times now or in the future where a U.S. President goes home empty handed. Unfathomable as it seemingly is.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM   #6065
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
This is not Chicago's first bid, they bid in 1904 and won, but sadly the games were moved to St. Louis instead to coincide with the World’s Fair. Chicago is about the best bid the US can put forward, if they don't get picked I'm going to very disappointed. The Mayor of Chicago (who is leading this bid) is probably not going to be around to bid next time or have the political capita to do this again, this is Chicago’s chance. And this is the first time Rio has made it to the final round though, Beijing made it to the final round twice before getting picked. Rio can certainly bid again.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM   #6066
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I don't see why not. A US Prez is not JC or something. Eventually if it becomes routine for head statesmen to appeal to the IOC then there will times now or in the future where a U.S. President goes home empty handed. Unfathomable as it seemingly is.
Yeah, but Obama? I don't think so. And I certainly expect this stupid head of state rule to be gone the next time the US gets a chance to vote again, assuming Chicago wins here.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:30 AM   #6067
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I think the reason why Obama is going is because it is looking more and more like it is going to be an EXTREMELY close race between Chicago and Rio....so he realizes that if he can even only swing 2 or 3 votes by going to Copenhagen, giving an amazing speech, and spending a little time face-to-face with some of the voters, those 2 or 3 votes could very well be the difference between winning and losing.
Also lets not make it out to be altruistic. Almost without reservation from what I have read Presidents are somewhat obsessive about their legacies from the first day they take office. Capping off a second term while presiding over an Olympics blocks from his home has a lot of good sentiments and optics attached to that go beyond partisan politics (for most people).
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM   #6068
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
From back in 1904? I would hope so.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM   #6069
CondeD

Likes (Received): 248

Excusme, who said that we're not ready (again!)? Based on what? Have you ever visited Rio once?

I was in Athens during the OG '04 and I could feel how proud they were to host that games, just like Rio is doing now...
The greek capital was neither completely organized for the event,nor a completely mess... But they delivered amazing games!
I think their openning ceremony more richer than Atlanta and Beijing, which were extremely gaudy...
IMO. Culturally, Madrid, Rio and Tokyo has more to offer to viewers around the world than Chicago. Maybe is just me, but I feel I little scare just imagining cheerleaders and fanfarres on a oppening ceremony... I can't stop comparing Atlanta to Chicago.
So, my point emerges, and this is the main argument of Rio's campaign: We need something new.
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #6070
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeD View Post
Excusme, who said that we're not ready (again!)? Based on what? Have you ever visited Rio once?

I was in Athens during the OG '04 and I could feel how proud they were to host that games, just like Rio is doing now...
The greek capital was neither completely organized for the event,nor a completely mess... But they delivered amazing games!
I think their openning ceremony more richer than Atlanta and Beijing, which were extremely gaudy...
IMO. Culturally, Madrid, Rio and Tokyo has more to offer to viewers around the world than Chicago. Maybe is just me, but I feel I little scare just imagining cheerleaders and fanfarres on a oppening ceremony... I can't stop comparing Atlanta to Chicago.
So, my point emerges, and this is the main argument of Rio's campaign: We need something new.
Because I know, Rio is going to need a heck of a lot of money if they want to pull off a successful Olympics right now. Brazil’s not China, I don't see it happening. I don't think their budget is very realistic, they want to spend 1.38 billion dollars just to clean up crime in a single city. If Rio wins all I can say is good luck.

And we just had something new, you know, last year! There's going to be another vote for the Olympics in just three years! I don't know why guys are complaining, Rio will get its Olympics sooner or later.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #6071
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:

What does Rio, Tokyo, and Madrid have that Chicago doesn't?
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM   #6072
Robin155

Likes (Received): 0

Onn Rio had the Best IOC evaluation report out of all cities. Rio is more the ready to host the Olympics in 2016.

This is the first time that the Olympics will be held in South America. It is part of the Olympic movement.
Robin155 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:44 AM   #6073
CondeD

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Because I know, Rio is going to need a heck of a lot of money if they want to pull off a successful Olympics right now. Brazil’s not China, I don't see it happening. I don't think their budget is very realistic, they want to spend 1.38 billion dollars just to clean up crime in single city. If Rio wins all I can say is good luck.

And we just had something new, you know, last year! There's going to be another vote for the Olympics in THREE YEARS!
Well... Who said Brazil doesn't have the money either? You! Our budget is far less than Beijing and we have provided all guarantees for the IOC.
We are not promising nothing beyond our legs can reach.
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:44 AM   #6074
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Onn Rio had the Best IOC evaluation report out of all cities. Rio is more the ready to host the Olympics in 2016.

This is the first time that the Olympics will be held in South America. It is part of the Olympic movement.
I don't believe it, they don't have enough hotel space either. Crime's a problem, and transportation.

Yeah, but this is Chicago's only chance. Rio will get plenty.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM   #6075
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Well... Who said Brazil doesn't have the money either? You! Our budget is far less than Beijing and we have provided all guarantees for the IOC.
Your budget is only less because you say it's less. You haven't done anything yet. Olympic budgets rarely stay on target, ask Beijing, ask Vancouver. Sydney is still paying off their Olympics for the next 20 years.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM   #6076
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1594

Rio is making quite a party for Oct. 2!!

Over A MILLIONpeople are expected in the Copacabana beach to watch the announcement of the 2016 OG. Everyone's extremely excited and you can feel the energy floating all around! Take a look at this vid to have a notion of the celebration that will take place, specially the "secret" 2500 pound flag they will display (unfortunately, I only found it in portuguese, but you can have a pretty good idea though):

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Rio/0,,...OPACABANA.html

10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:49 AM   #6077
zdaddy233

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Beijing was also BY FAR the most gaudy olympics ever. It was the definition of a coming out party for the biggest country on Earth by population and the oldest continuous civilization as well. It will be a long long time before anyone surpasses what they did in terms of investment
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:49 AM   #6078
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Your budget is only less because you say it's less. You haven't done anything yet. Olympic budgets rarely stay on target, ask Beijing, ask Vancouver. Sydney is still paying off their Olympics for the next 20 years.
Montreal just finished paying for their Olympics. 33 years later.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:50 AM   #6079
Robin155

Likes (Received): 0

This is the third time Rio is bidding for the Olympic games. Its South Americas turn. Rio 2016 for the win.

Rio 2016 gains close to 2,000 more hotel rooms. http://www.4hoteliers.com/4hots_nshw.php?mwi=6372
Robin155 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:53 AM   #6080
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
This is the third time Rio is bidding for the Olympic games. Its South Americas turn. Rio 2016 for the win.

Rio 2016 gains close to 2,000 more hotel rooms. http://www.4hoteliers.com/4hots_nshw.php?mwi=6372
Yes, but this is the only time Rio has made it to the final round. Beijing made it to the final round TWICE before getting picked.

2,000 hotel rooms? Is that going to be enough for 500,000-1 million people?
Onn no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016