daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM   #6101
Fischer

Likes (Received): 1237

And where is the problem? Brazil is the 8 biggest economy in the world!
Fischer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM   #6102
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

And where is the problem?
Well compared to Chicago's bid, Rio's bid is probably not going to be profitable on any level. Rio has a lot of work to do to host a sucessful Olympics, they're going to have to shell out the money.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM   #6103
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This is not Chicago's first bid, they bid in 1904 and won, but sadly the games were moved to St. Louis instead to coincide with the World’s Fair. Chicago is about the best bid the US can put forward, if they don't get picked I'm going to very disappointed. The Mayor of Chicago (who is leading this bid) is probably not going to be around to bid next time or have the political capita to do this again, this is Chicago’s chance. And this is the first time Rio has made it to the final round though, Beijing made it to the final round twice before getting picked. Rio can certainly bid again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Chicago has WON the Olympics before - in 1904 - but they were moved to St. Louis. So I'm pretty sure Chicago has bid before.
What metter a bid in 1904?? Rio also bid in 1936.. All cities changed since then. What Im saying is that Rio bid for two of the last 3 Olympic Games so It was able to correct the biggest mistakes of the project. Just like Madrid did.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM   #6104
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5828

[QUOTE=Onn;43911768]Well compared to Chicago's bid, Rio's bid is probably not going to be profitable on any level. Rio has a lot of work to do to host a sucessful Olympics, they're going to have to shell out the money.[/QUOTE]

ou just proved yu know nothing about Brazil. Have you ever heard about Brazilian Pre-salt Oil reserves and Ethanol production?
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:33 AM   #6105
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:

And where is the problem? Brazil is the 8 biggest economy in the world!
And the US the first and by Far.... So that's not an excuse.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:34 AM   #6106
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

I don't think you can underestimate the money factor in Chicago's bid. An Olympics hosted in the US gets extraordinarily higher ratings than those hosted elsewhere and NBC already pays the most money for the rights to televise the games. Should Chicago win the 2016 bid, the amount of money the IOC would get from a US TV network for the rights to the games would be mind boggling.

Now, I'm not saying this reason is why Chicago should win the games, but it is a major factor, just as S. America having never hosted is a major factor. The money factor cannot be ignored.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM   #6107
Fischer

Likes (Received): 1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
And the US the first and by Far.... So that's not an excuse.
I know, but Onn said that Brazil don't have enought money to make a great Olimpic games, and these argument said the opposit. Brazil don't have such a huge economy like USA,and no other country have, but we can do it too. Sory for my bad english
Fischer no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #6108
zdaddy233

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

And where is the problem? Brazil is in the 8 biggest economy in the world!
First off, the Olympics should never be political. Its a shame its becoming that way.

But since we're at it, a better gauge of this topic is Income per Capita, as it more accurately describes the environment of the average person and the spending power that they are able to secure. Taking that into account, here are where the 4 host cities lie on World Banks list:

#3 - United States $37,500
#17 - Japan $28,260
#35 - Spain $22,020
#86 - Brazil $7,480

this shows that on a whole, people of Brazil are considerably worse off financially than that of the other 3 countries. Remember, even if this is fully paid by the government, that cost will always trickle down to the citizens, and the poorer they are, the more difficult it is the carry that load.

If you want to go straight off of GDP, here is your list:

#1 - United States $14,204,322,000
#2 - Japan $4,909,272,000
#8 - Brazil $1,612,539,000
#10 - Spain $1,604,174,000

As you can see, all 4 cities are within the top 10 ranks for global economies. The difference is, there is a distinct difference between the Spain and Brazil compared to Japan, and its an astronomical gap between Japan and the US.
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #6109
CondeD

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
For an economy the size of Brazil's? It's a little unrealistic. It could happen, but Brazil would be paying Rio's back quite a bit longer than China is paying back Bejing's.
I think you are a bit unaware of Brazil's financial situation... Really! Again, we are not proposing nothing that we can not deliver!

Quote:
Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world, no way can Rio throw a better Olympics than Chicago. MAYBE on par...
I think Chicago is a great city! And I also think you can do it very organized and profitable and very ordinary as well... As I said, I can't stop comparing Chicago 2016 with 1996.

Quote:
Too bad public opinion isnt the determining factor.
But that will be nothing but unfair... Since all polls around the world, and I'm not talking about specialized sites, shows Rio as desired place to host the Olympic Games.

Quote:
Those 100 or so people voting will be voting on the strength of the physical bid itself: is it a city capable of handling an influx of 1 million+ people for 3 weeks? Does it have sufficient athletic facilities, modes of transportation, and capable housing? If it doesnt, does it have the means to construct high quality facilities on time and within a reasonable budget? Is the city safe for athletes and spectators? Does the city have a risk of going over budget? Is the city capable of bringing in a profit? Are the Olympic games going to be damaging or helpful for the city (or even the country)? Has a city played host to previous international sporting events, and if so, was it a successful event or not?
I think the IOC report responds all your answers.
And...Oh! We got the best grade among the 4!
All you do is just speculate that we are not capable based in your own preconceptions.
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM   #6110
zdaddy233

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeD View Post
All you do is just speculate that we are not capable based in your own preconceptions.
I think you are completely capable to pull off the Olympics.

I also think that if you were to wait another 4 years, you would be able to pull off something along the lines of Beijing.
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM   #6111
CondeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I don't think you can underestimate the money factor in Chicago's bid. An Olympics hosted in the US gets extraordinarily higher ratings than those hosted elsewhere and NBC already pays the most money for the rights to televise the games. Should Chicago win the 2016 bid, the amount of money the IOC would get from a US TV network for the rights to the games would be mind boggling.

Now, I'm not saying this reason is why Chicago should win the games, but it is a major factor, just as S. America having never hosted is a major factor. The money factor cannot be ignored.
Brazilian Globo TV network paid US$170 million for 2016 broadcasting rights. They paid US$ 20 million for Beijing 2008 and Record network US$ 40 million for 2012.
Globo is a big fish on this market... I think they're the third biggest media group in the world.
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6112
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
I think you are completely capable to pull off the Olympics.

I also think that if you were to wait another 4 years, you would be able to pull off something along the lines of Beijing.
The thing is, if Chicago get's it, we'll have to look forward for 2024, THE LEAST!

It's not all abour if Rio wins, but specially, to WHOM would Rio lose. This is our only shot within the next decade.

I'm guessing that, if Rio doesn't make it to the final, it's votes will automatically go to Tokyo or Madrid!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:54 AM   #6113
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1594

Quote:
Brazilian Globo TV network paid US$170 million for 2016 broadcasting rights. They paid US$ 20 million for Beijing 2008 and Record network US$ 40 million for 2012.
Globo is a big fish on this market... I think they're the third biggest media group in the world.
Fourth...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:55 AM   #6114
zdaddy233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
The thing is, if Chicago get's it, we'll have to look forward for 2024, THE LEAST!

It's not all abour if Rio wins, but specially, to WHOM would Rio lose. This is our only shot within the next decade.
Why would you wait 8 years? Make bigger plans, get more funding, and go back for a near guaranteed victory for 2020.
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM   #6115
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post

I'm guessing that, if Rio doesn't make it to the final, it's votes will automatically go to Tokyo or Madrid!
What about 2020? Wouldn't Chicago getting 2016 make Rio 2020 all the more likely? Chicago is about as good as a bid any country can put together. I doubt any other city is going to put up as fierce of resistance next time around.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6116
zdaddy233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
What about 2020? Wouldn't Chicago getting 2016 make Rio 2020 all more the likely?
I think it would almost completely guarantee it. Not only that, but they could make it into an epic Olympics, which i dont see them pulling off this time around.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM   #6117
CondeD

Quote:
Why would you wait 8 years? Make bigger plans, get more funding, and go back for a near guaranteed victory for 2020.
Hahahaha... Why us and not Chicago?
Why 2020? We are applying for 2016, and so is Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo...
No team enters on a field to lose!
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #6118
zdaddy233

Quote:
Hahahaha... Why us and not Chicago?
Why 2020? We are applying for 2016, and so is Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo...
No team enters on a field to lose!
We need to wait til Friday before any of these discussions should really start.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #6119
CondeD

Quote:
We need to wait til Friday before any of these discussions should really start.
You're right...
And if Chicago wins, I will be more than pleasant to attend the games in Chicago, which is a beautiful city... no questions about it
CondeD no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #6120
zdaddy233

Quote:
You're right...
And if Chicago wins, I will be more than pleasant to attend the games in Chicago, which is a beautiful city... no questions about it
And hopefully i have enough $$$ to go to Rio in 7 years if they win. The most spectacular women in the world

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016