daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM   #6121
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeD View Post
Hahahaha... Why us and not Chicago?
Why 2020? We are applying for 2016, and so is Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo...
No team enters on a field to lose!
True, we can't make Rio drop out. But I would not bet on them winning either.
Onn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM   #6122
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
Why would you wait 8 years? Make bigger plans, get more funding, and go back for a near guaranteed victory for 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
What about 2020? Wouldn't Chicago getting 2016 make Rio 2020 all the more likely? Chicago is about as good as a bid any country can put together. I doubt any other city is going to put up as fierce of resistance next time around.
Because there's a little thing "rotational politics" that the IOC highly treasures (though fail to admit it) and 2020 is almost a guaranty to return to Europe, and SA may be getting fierce and strong as well to the dispute.

Pardon the cliche, but it's now or never.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:22 AM   #6123
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
Because there's a little thing "rotational politics" that the IOC highly treasures (though fail to admit it) and 2020 is almost a guaranty to return to Europe, and SA may be getting fierce and strong as well to the dispute.

Pardon the cliche, but it's now or never.
You don't know that. Although I agree the IOC seems to prefer European cities over everyone else, and a European city could weasel it's way in. But I highly doubt it. Africa also may not be ready for 2020, and the Middle East will certainly NOT be ready. So South America may be the go to continent. I seriously do want Rio to have an Olympics, if Chicago wasn't facing them I would be supporting Rio all the way.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM   #6124
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Only about thrity-six hours until the vote is in and the petty gibing is over.

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 1st, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM   #6125
Becker22

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=zdaddy233;43912196]First off, the Olympics should never be political. Its a shame its becoming that way.

But since we're at it, a better gauge of this topic is Income per Capita, as it more accurately describes the environment of the average person and the spending power that they are able to secure. Taking that into account, here are where the 4 host cities lie on World Banks list:

#3 - United States $37,500
#17 - Japan $28,260
#35 - Spain $22,020
#86 - Brazil $7,480

this shows that on a whole, people of Brazil are considerably worse off financially than that of the other 3 countries. Remember, even if this is fully paid by the government, that cost will always trickle down to the citizens, and the poorer they are, the more difficult it is the carry that load.

well, if u take a look around...[2008 World Bank - Income per capita]

-> Brazil ranks #64 - $10,296
-> China ranks #89 - $5,962

So, regarding your statement China wouldn't be able to host a great event too. You can't convince me with this argument at all.
Becker22 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:21 AM   #6126
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
You don't know that. Although I agree the IOC seems to prefer European cities over everyone else, and a European city could weasel it's way in. But I highly doubt it. Africa also may not be ready for 2020, and the Middle East will certainly NOT be ready. So South America may be the go to continent. I seriously do want Rio to have an Olympics, if Chicago wasn't facing them I would be supporting Rio all the way.
With all your bashing that you showed this last week??
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM   #6127
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Only about thrity-six hours until the vote is in and the petty jibing is over.
And the 36 hours after will be heaps of sore losers lol, I still want Rio to win but if its Chicago than so be it
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM   #6128
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
With all your bashing that you showed this last week??
We can't all be perfect like you.

I will fully support Rio if it wins, and I think it is a beautiful city that I would love to visit one day. My personal dislike is the representation on these forums. I also think Chicago should garner this one. The city needs it, deserves it, and is ready.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM   #6129
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Likes (Received): 347

no sorry! We can't even think to be perfect like you!! You are the biggest economy, the biggest country, the most powerfull, the most political, the most rich, you have oprah ... we are just ignorant of the third world, potential terrorists... sorry

"...Igual que el trébol campero crezco sin hacer barullo,
me apreto contra los yuyos y así lo aguanto al pampero."
Mares de Morros_XXI no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6130
eduardo mora

Likes (Received): 4076

Rio de Janeiro
eduardo mora no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6131
Gerardogt

Likes (Received): 269

R
I
O

Becouse of the world cup 2014 and the olympic games 2016, Brazil it's gonna be recognized as a potential counterpart power in the south, it's gonna take few years, but Brazil have the people, the natural resources and the attitude to show that in the south part of our continent, things can be done with excellence!

Last edited by Gerardogt; October 1st, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Gerardogt no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6132
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Becker22;43913622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
First off, the Olympics should never be political. Its a shame its becoming that way.

But since we're at it, a better gauge of this topic is Income per Capita, as it more accurately....

this shows that on a whole, people of Brazil are considerably worse off financially than that of the other 3 countries. ..... it is the carry that load.

well, if u take a look around...[2008 World Bank - Income per capita]

-> Brazil ranks #64 - $10,296
-> China ranks #89 - $5,962

So, regarding your statement China .... h this argument at all.
Pegging the Income per Capita in USD is not reflective of the std of living, with a lower per capita income in Brazil, the question should be - Stadndard of Living, do they get 3 square meals, proper accomodation, conveyance and medical fallbacks? Yes they do and with comfort.

So in a country like China, though it may be low, the people are able to meet their ends peacefully.

In some discussions the Mc Burger is considered for the Economics of the society, check for the socio economic statures as compared with the cost of a Mc Donald Burger,
US - The burger alone would be USD 3 to 4.00 (Am not sure, as I haven't had it for a while)
Singapore - It is SGD 2 = USD 1.33
India - It is INR 30 = USD 0.66

Your crap about the Per Capita Income is highly misconstrued. With USD700,000 if some one can get a house at Bay Area, USA; at a similar/popular location somewhere in China/India it would cost them around USD 200,000.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6133
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...-olympics-2016

Chicago's architecture stands tall for Olympic 2016 bid

The windy city won't need to wow judges with ambitious building plans for its 2016 Olympic bid - it's already home to some of the most forward-thinking architecture on the planet, as David Shariatmadari discovers on a city tour

David Shariatmadari guardian.co.uk, Thursday 1 October 2009 09.27 BST

As anyone following the race between Chicago, Madrid, Rio and Tokyo to host the 2016 Olympics will have noticed, Chicagoans aren't short on civic pride. It spills over into sport, politics and industry, but starts with the city's architecture. Chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper, after all, and home to some of Frank Lloyd Wright's best houses. In the second half of the 20th century, Chicago became known as a showcase for the international style, and its office blocks and plazas were imitated around the world...............
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6134
The Patel

Likes (Received): 1

Go Chicago

I hope Chicago gets it... Oprah.. Obama.. will get it.
The Patel no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM   #6135
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...s-chicago.html

Michelle Obama's Chicago Olympics pep rally

September 30, 2009 | 3:52 pm

...........MRS. OBAMA: Thank you, everybody. So, as my husband would say, we are fired up and ready to go in here. (Applause.) It’s a good thing. Well, first let me begin by thanking my dear friend, my chit-chat buddy, Oprah Winfrey. She talks about me coming here without hesitation..............
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM   #6136
JR Nazareth

"I can guarantee that no country today has so sure about his future as Brazil has its. Brazilians are clear that Brazil is experiencing a kind of magical moment of opportunity for growth, the soundness of its economy and improving life of the poorest people. And this is Brazil's 2016 we want to show the IOC delegates and win their votes. " Lula

Also on Thursday, Lula will hold talks closed with IOC members in a hotel in Copenhagen, pausing only for lunch with Queen Margaret 2nd.

Lula greets the president of the International OIímpico, Jacques Rogge
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6137
JR Nazareth

On the eve of the election, Brazil join forces to lobby days in Copenhagen

Delegation green and yellow goes hunting for votes for the Rio de Janeiro

Rafael Maranhão
Direct from Copenhagen
Agency / Reuters

Lula greets the president of the International OIímpico, Jacques Rogge The hunt for votes began long ago, but never so many canvassers gathered in one place with so many members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Thursday, at the Marriot Hotel, in Copenhagen. The vote on the eve of the Olympic Games of 2016 is a day of lobbying and persuasion. The Brazilian unit is headed by Pele and President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who arrived at the hotel at about 9am (4h GMT) to meet with IOC President, Belgian Jacques Rogge.

Also on site are the president of the Rio 2016 and the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB), Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the governor of Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Cabral Filho, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Eduardo Paes, and the Minister of Sports Orlando Silva. Athletes and former athletes, such as Hortência, Torben Grael, Cesar Cielo e Daiane dos Santos, would join a bike ride organized by the City of Copenhagen, but were moved to the Marriott to join the group.

- This lobbying is intense. Is now stronger than ever - said Cabral.
All IOC members are staying at the hotel. One of them is an important figure in the Brazilian campaign. The honorary president of FIFA, Joao Havelange, is from the beginning of the week campaigning on the site, meeting with voters and rivals such as King Juan Carlos of Spain, who supports the candidacy of Madrid.
- I believe the majority of IOC members arrive with their vote already decided. But this kind of meeting is important to avoid last-minute changes and to the choice of the votes in the later stages, when the city of choice for some may already be eliminated - as a delegate of the International Olympic Committee, asking not to be identified.
Only on the evening of Wednesday, other members of the Rio-2016 dinner with about 20 delegates. The meetings sometimes last late into the night.
- You do not just talk with the delegation, speaking also with his wife, family, advisors. It is a slow process - says Pele

On Thursday, the mission of winning the support of women in some IOC members was that of the writer Paulo Coelho, who has a lunch meeting with 70 people. With the right signings in the books that will distribute, translated into the most different languages.

The day of lobby finishes with the opening of the Olympic Congress, on the evening of Thursday, the Opera House in Copenhagen. The result of such hunting votes will be revealed on Friday and will last for the next seven years.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esport...+COPENHAG.html

Pele is one of the main Brazilian representatives in the struggle for votes for the Rio

Last edited by JR Nazareth; October 1st, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #6138
JR Nazareth

The day in Copenhagen
01/10/2009

Lula international conference to press

Brazilians who are part of the bid committee of Rio de Janeiro walk bike through the streets of Copenhagen, Denmark

Last edited by JR Nazareth; October 1st, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM   #6139
Yrmom247
Parabolic

The anticipation is flipping killing me. AHHHHHHHHHHH
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM   #6140
rsol2000

Likes (Received): 8656

Rio!!!!!!!!
rsol2000 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016