daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM   #6141
JR Nazareth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 187
Likes (Received): 0

Lula remembers Barack Obama and says: "Yes we can"


President uses the phrase U.S. and says that oil in the pre-salt ensures investments


Of R7, with information from the Agency BrasilTexto:

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva defended the candidacy of Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympic Games on Thursday (1) in Copenhagen, Denmark, and repeated the phrase that Barack Obama used when he ran for president of the United States of America . Lula said "yes we can", stating that Brazil is able to receive the competition.


- That said the mouth of an American is very beautiful, because we never said we were in Brazil we used to say we can not, we are poor, as if we were inferior citizens. This time, we look at the world and say, 'yes, we can and we will hold the Olympics'.


Lula spoke with IOC President Jacques Rogge, and said, "Yes we can"


Lula and Obama are the main figures of the dispute between Rio and Chicago. The Brazilian president arrived in Copenhagen on Wednesday (30) and was met by Pele, Cesar Cielo, Torben Grael, and other athletes. Already the U.S. surprised to say the second (28) that will go to Denmark to support the U.S. on Friday (2), the day that the International Olympic Committee will decide the city.

Madrid and Tokyo also are in contention for hosting the 2016 Olympics, but Rio and Chicago are considered the favorite cities. The vice-president of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Jose Maria Odriozola said on Wednesday (30) that the capital Rio de Janeiro is the worst application. Lula said he did not agree with campaigns that criticize other cities.

- I do not think I be ethically speaking ill of the other cities at the expense of my country and other cities. I want to speak well of Rio de Janeiro and proudly say that the city is prepared.

Lula also used the performance of the Brazilian economy to defend the candidacy of Rio The discovery of oil in the pre-salt on the coast of Brazil is guaranteed investments, the president said.

- Everybody who follows the economy knows that Brazil is now in a better position than many developed countries. Everyone knows the significance of the discovery of the pre-salt and that this represents the possibility of investment in infrastructure. I can guarantee that there is today no country in the world that is so sure of their future as Brazil.

http://esportes.r7.com/esportes-olim...enhague-7.html
JR Nazareth no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM   #6142
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsol2000 View Post
Rio!!!!!!!!

that ain't nuttin

My Kind of Town


__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 1st, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #6143
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

I have a better one







__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM   #6144
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
With all your bashing that you showed this last week??
Out of sheer sympathy, of course. Not that they’re ready, I still don't believe that either way. But I think Rio deserves the Olympics over Tokyo and Madrid.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6145
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Looks like Madrid is getting a late day push...

Olympics 2016: Late money for Madrid but momentum with Chicago

Just when it looked like a clear two-city race, bookmakers have seen late money for Madrid to spring a surprise by winning the vote to stage the 2016 Olympcs.

Chicago remains a firm favourite following Barack Obama's decision to travel to Copenhagen, closely followed in the betting by Rio de Janeiro.

However, Ladbrokes report some last-minute support for the Spanish capital to sneak up on the rails unnoticed while the big two battle it out.

"Chicago remains the favourite but punters, buoyed by London's shock victory last time, have switched their attention to one of the outsiders," said spokesman Nick Weinberg.

Their odds on Madrid getting the nod have been cut from 16/1 to 9/1, while the Windy City heads the market on 4/6, Rio has been eased out slightly to 7/4 and Tokyo is now a longshot at 25/1.

Coral also still have the American bid as clear favourites at 8/11 ahead of tomorrow's announcement in Denmark.

"Chicago has always been favourite to win the vote," said spokesman David Stevens. "And the news that President Obama will be flying in to support the bid saw their odds shorten further."

William Hill, meanwhile, are offering 9/4 that Chicago hosts these Games and Obama is still president at the time they take place.

"Chicago has attracted all the serious money, particulary since it was announced that Obama was flying to support their bid," said spokesman Graham Sharpe. "Punters obviously believe it's a done deal.

"We have seen a little support for Madrid in the last day or so and their odds have been cut from 16/1 to 10/1, but if money talks the Windy City will breeze in."
http://www.bettingpress.com/category...-200910010006/
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #6146
JR Nazareth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 187
Likes (Received): 0

Lula presents Act Olympic Games Rio 2016 the President of IOC

Posted at 01/10/2009 at 11h57m
O Globo



COPENHAGEN - President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva gave, on Friday, in Denmark, the President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, a copy of the project of creating the Olympic Act. The document confirms and complements 64 guarantees federal government related to the River project for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games in 2016.

The Olympic Act was approved by the Senate in early September. In June, the matter had been passed in the House of Representatives. Before the meeting with the IOC president, Lula attended a news conference about 150 Brazilian and foreign journalists in the Danish capital.

For the Olympic Act, the government reinforces the commitment to support and make the investments necessary to achieve the Olympics, where the Rio de Janeiro is chosen. The guarantees are the exemption of visa for foreigners accredited and the creation of a regulatory agency of transportation and traffic during the event, for example. The guarantees include legacy projects of transport infrastructure and investment in public works, said the site of the Rio 2016 bid.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/rio2016/...-767859668.asp


Lula with the IOC President Jacques Rogge

Last edited by JR Nazareth; October 1st, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM   #6147
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,195
Likes (Received): 5785



TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM   #6148
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,758
Likes (Received): 864

__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #6149
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,195
Likes (Received): 5785

Thousands Expected At Copacabana To Watch IOC Vote
Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:37am EDT GB Staff
Font size:

About 100,000 people are expected at Copacabana beach Friday to watch the International Olympic Committee (IOC) vote for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Rio de Janeiro city officials have also declared Friday an optional public holiday so more people can participate in the festivities and support the bid, reports the Associated Press.

There will be several live concerts at the beach beginning Friday morning until the host city announcement.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic...216134716.html
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6150
Wey
Recursive
 
Wey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: São Paulo/Uberlândia
Posts: 11,170
Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
No longer, we're almost 24 hrs. from the final announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Thousands Expected At Copacabana To Watch IOC Vote
Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:37am EDT GB Staff
Font size:

About 100,000 people are expected at Copacabana beach Friday to watch the International Olympic Committee (IOC) vote for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Rio de Janeiro city officials have also declared Friday an optional public holiday so more people can participate in the festivities and support the bid, reports the Associated Press.

There will be several live concerts at the beach beginning Friday morning until the host city announcement.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic...216134716.html
Huh...

Weird, I had heard the number 1 million from brazilian sources... we'll, there's only one way to truly find that out.
__________________
1 ∀x∀y[∀z(z∈x⇔z∈y)⇒x=y] ____2 ∀x[∃a(a∈x)⇒∃y(y∈x∧¬∃z(z∈y∧z∈x))] ____3 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n∃y∀x[x∈y⇔(x∈z∧∅)]
4 ∀x∀y∃z(x∈z∧y∈z) ____5 ∀F∃A∀Y∀x[(x∈Y∧Y∈F)⇒x∈A] ____6 ∀x∀w_1∀w_2...∀w_n[∀x(x∈A⇒∃!y∅)⇒∃B∀x(x∈A⇒∃y(y∈B∧∅))]
7 ∃X[∅∈X∧∀y(y∈X⇒S(y)∈X)] ____8 ∀x∃Q(x)∀z[z⊆x⇒z∈Q(x)] ____9 ∀X∃R(R well-orders X)
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6151
JR Nazareth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 187
Likes (Received): 0



JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6152
JR Nazareth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 187
Likes (Received): 0

If Rio wins, will have a big party to celebrate ...

We are confident in the work that the Comite Brasileiro is doing, parabens Nuzman ...

www.rio2016.com.br
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #6153
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,758
Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
No longer, we're almost 24 hrs. from the final announcement.
Ok fine. 1 1/2.
__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM   #6154
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,195
Likes (Received): 5785

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Nazareth View Post


I would like to see other cities places. Anybody knows where people will wait for the result in Madrid, Chicago and Tokyo?
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #6155
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,195
Likes (Received): 5785

Exclusive: Coe - Race for 2016 is best there has ever been
Thursday, 01 October 2009


By Mike Rowbottom in Copenhagen

October 1 - Sebastian Coe (pictured) believes that the race for the 2016 Games is the best there has ever been – and too close to call.

The chairman of London 2012, who masterminded an unexpected victory over the favourites, Paris, when the last Olympic venue was determined four years ago in Singapore, said all four of the current bidding cities could host "a great Games."

He told insidethegames: "The contest was very close in Singapore, but without wanting to infringe Olympic etiquette I think it was very clear that it was close between two, perhaps three cities, and that there were two weaker bidders.

"For that reason, I think you can safely say that this is a stronger overall bidding process than we saw in Singapore.

"In Copenhagen on Friday you just know that actually any one of these four cities could deliver a great Games.

"I don’t think, being honest, we could have said that about all five cities in Singapore.

"Right across the board, city for city, this is probably the highest quality final run-in we have seen."

Not surprisingly, Coe was unwilling to say who his money would be on.

He said: "Even if I was made to do that I would not have a clear idea about it.

"This is a very, very close competition.

"I think the decision will depend on the presentations, and the mood music."

London’s final presentation, involving youngsters who underlined the city’s emphasis on the benefits success would have for the nation’s youth, was widely viewed as being decisive.

But the diligent efforts of the then Prime Minister, Tony Blair, in his last-minute lobbying of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members was also seen as being highly influential.

Coe acknowledged the power of the Blair factor – but denied that the presence of a leader of state at the decisive Session was now obligatory for any city with serious Olympic ambitions.

He said; "I don’t think you can say that bids will now be at a disadvantage if they cannot offer a head of state in support.

"I don’t think IOC members would be sitting there and saying that cities would be at a disadvantage because there wasn’t a head of state or a President there.

"There is no template in these campaigns.

"Of course having the Prime Minister in Singapore was helpful...very helpful, because first of all he was there, and that showed a national commitment, a national political commitment.

"All those kind of guarantees are always very important.

" It wasn’t just that he was there, and that he spoke to the IOC members – he had 33 or 34 carefully choreographed one-on-one meetings with IOC members.

"It wasn’t just that he appeared in the presentation, even though he wasn’t able to stay for the result because he had to fly back to host the G8 summit in Scotland.

"It was also because at that point he was very well briefed, and really understood what the bid was all about.

"His was a long association, and every time we asked, he was there.

"So of course it will be important for bidding cities now – but it’s also important for leaders or prime ministers to understand what their campaigns are all about."

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #6156
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,195
Likes (Received): 5785

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Exclusive: Coe - Race for 2016 is best there has ever been
Thursday, 01 October 2009


By Mike Rowbottom in Copenhagen

October 1 - Sebastian Coe (pictured) believes that the race for the 2016 Games is the best there has ever been – and too close to call.

The chairman of London 2012, who masterminded an unexpected victory over the favourites, Paris, when the last Olympic venue was determined four years ago in Singapore, said all four of the current bidding cities could host "a great Games."

He told insidethegames: "The contest was very close in Singapore, but without wanting to infringe Olympic etiquette I think it was very clear that it was close between two, perhaps three cities, and that there were two weaker bidders.

"For that reason, I think you can safely say that this is a stronger overall bidding process than we saw in Singapore.

"In Copenhagen on Friday you just know that actually any one of these four cities could deliver a great Games.

"I don’t think, being honest, we could have said that about all five cities in Singapore.

"Right across the board, city for city, this is probably the highest quality final run-in we have seen."

Not surprisingly, Coe was unwilling to say who his money would be on.

He said: "Even if I was made to do that I would not have a clear idea about it.

"This is a very, very close competition.

"I think the decision will depend on the presentations, and the mood music."

London’s final presentation, involving youngsters who underlined the city’s emphasis on the benefits success would have for the nation’s youth, was widely viewed as being decisive.

But the diligent efforts of the then Prime Minister, Tony Blair, in his last-minute lobbying of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members was also seen as being highly influential.

Coe acknowledged the power of the Blair factor – but denied that the presence of a leader of state at the decisive Session was now obligatory for any city with serious Olympic ambitions.

He said; "I don’t think you can say that bids will now be at a disadvantage if they cannot offer a head of state in support.

"I don’t think IOC members would be sitting there and saying that cities would be at a disadvantage because there wasn’t a head of state or a President there.

"There is no template in these campaigns.

"Of course having the Prime Minister in Singapore was helpful...very helpful, because first of all he was there, and that showed a national commitment, a national political commitment.

"All those kind of guarantees are always very important.

" It wasn’t just that he was there, and that he spoke to the IOC members – he had 33 or 34 carefully choreographed one-on-one meetings with IOC members.

"It wasn’t just that he appeared in the presentation, even though he wasn’t able to stay for the result because he had to fly back to host the G8 summit in Scotland.

"It was also because at that point he was very well briefed, and really understood what the bid was all about.

"His was a long association, and every time we asked, he was there.

"So of course it will be important for bidding cities now – but it’s also important for leaders or prime ministers to understand what their campaigns are all about."

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
With less then 24 hours for the announce, I would just like to congratulate all 4 cities for one of the best bids process ever. And I´ll be very happy with any of them winning. All 4 deserves the games for many different reasons. It was an amazing jorney. Thanks u all.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6157
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,758
Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I would like to see other cities places. Anybody knows where people will wait for the result in Madrid, Chicago and Tokyo?
In Chicago, there will be events at Daley Plaza.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-62989907.html
__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6158
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Daley Plaza in Chicago, across from City Hall in the heart of the CBD (Loop)

image hosted on flickr
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6159
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD
 
the spliff fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: london
Posts: 7,986
Likes (Received): 6222

Rio got x-factor imo

Izan Petterle, www.nationalgeographic.com

www.agoravox.com

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com

http://cache.virtualtourist.com

www.somejokes.com

www.bestpicturegallery.com
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM   #6160
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
With less then 24 hours for the announce, I would just like to congratulate all 4 cities for one of the best bids process ever. And I´ll be very happy with any of them winning. All 4 deserves the games for many different reasons. It was an amazing jorney. Thanks u all.
Agreed.
Onn no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu