daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6301
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
I do think the brazilian committee HAS something beneath their sleaves... I'm expecting nothing less than OUTSTANDING from their presentation, in which they've been working and rehearsing for the last two months! It will include, among other things, a short film directed by renowned brazilian filmmaker Fernando Meirelles, who's films been nominated to the Academy Awards several times! The olny thing I'm really worried, like colleague TEBC said, is Lula's speach. Hope he doesn't say anything stupid
I've felt for a while now that Chicago had the edge and Rio would have to win it in their final presentation by doing such a great job that the voters are left thinking, "how can we not take the games to Rio." I've seen Fernando Meirelles' work and think he's fantastic so I expect great things from the videos.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM   #6302
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Yes. Los Angeles.

I liked the videos with the people, but I thought it lacked that one great image. I would have killed for one of the video to finish with a medal ceremony at Millennium Park, then zooming out to see how great the park looks, then the skyline behind it.
Chicago presententions began here at 3:45, Rio only at 7.. and the announcement only at 13!! I will take some red bulls to stay awake!!

What would be a great and emotional video: American olympic champions doing things around the city!! Like Shawn Jhonson helping an old lady cross the street, Michael Jhonson playing basketball with kids, Soldier Field Full of people, Phelps doing something too.. would be great.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6303
ryebreadraz

Here comes Tokyo...
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6304
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
That is funny because I though they didn't play up the diversity in the videos as much as they might or could. Those shots are selective shooting, Chicago is one of the most diverse nations by both race and ethnicity in the world.

I am guessing that Rio will play up their racial diversity with their selection of people photos/video.
I don´t think so, Rio is more mixed culture than Sao Paulo for instance, Sao Paulo is really multicultural. Even though it is possible that Rio will use the Black/White/Coloured/Indigenous people. There are not many Indigenous in Rio´s people but they are very brazilian "brand" so it may be used.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6305
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I know he is a very busy guy but considering how committed he has been to Rio's bid and for diplomacies own sake I am a bit surprised he hasn't tried to take some crash course English lessons over the last few years. It would be a skill that would serve him well beyond this event.

I'm glad that Madrid is going last to be honest.
The president of Brazil - and I'll say that with all the applicable courtesy, is an ignorant. He was born very poor, never graduated college, worked as a lathe before coming into politics. He doesn't have the "smarts" to take a high-league intellectual position, nor ever will, I think. But he's a charismatic figure, VERY MUCH. And has a sense of what's good and what's not, what's fair and what's not, and the most important thing, he's REALLY committed to the people's cause and the nation's interests, in every decision he makes, almost "altruistically" (not so much, though). For the technical sides, he has an excellent team of advisors who help his decision making...

Haven't that said, for more he'd be willow to learn even javanese to help the bid (and he "indeed" speaks english), he would do and does it very primarily and without elegance, it just looks bloody awkward and there's a big chance he'll end up compromising himself.

So, for that matter, I think is more appropriate for him to talk in the language of his knowledge and experience and doing it beautifully and with soul and excitement than trying to deliver something he's not. I at least hope he follows that path, ‘cause no one knows what they're preparing, though, ultimately, it would be nice to conciliate both aspects...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6306
ryebreadraz

All of the members of Tokyo's delegation are in uniform. Those on stage, with one exception, all have uniform (albeit different uniforms for men and women) and each member not on stage have their own matching uniform.

It's actually a bit disconcerting, as if an army is marching in.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM   #6307
TEBC

They started very well with this girls discurse.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6308
TEBC

I can hardly understand what he is saying!!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6309
ryebreadraz

There wasn't much I will take from the opening speech by the girl, but it did a good job of setting the tone of the presentation.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6310
TEBC

He is so boring!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6311
Wey
Recursive

English lessons to IOC members...

Seriously
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM   #6312
ryebreadraz

I already don't want to vote for Tokyo if I'm an IOC member.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6313
Wey
Recursive

Is he that new and weird prime minister they've just ellected??
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6314
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I already don't want to vote for Tokyo if I'm an IOC member.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6315
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

It would help with these presentations if they were allowed to dim the lights. It looks like they are speaking in a university lecture hall.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #6316
TEBC

great video though
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6317
ryebreadraz

Great video. Maybe Tokyo could do an hour and 10 minutes of video as their presentation?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6318
TEBC

"Japanese are not good in showing their emotions!!"
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6319
Wey
Recursive

I'm liking very much the whole japanese-feelings thought! It's a reality, and it's approach is a display of commitment and openness

Liked the video very much! The music could be better
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #6320
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Video was ok. Both Chicago and Tokyos videos have been too clinical and faux-drama for my taste. Mediocre music to go with both as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016