daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6321
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

And a french finale, who'd have wondered! I have the feeling that this dud's speach will be the high point in Tokyo's presentation...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #6322
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5791

Are we watching some kind of stand-up comedy?
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6323
Wey
Recursive

I'm liking this girl's enthusiasm very much! Karaoke

Japanese are really unexpectable.
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6324
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Tokyo's presentation is making it very difficult to stay awake until Rio's presentation.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6325
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Its the Japanese Pat Tillman!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6326
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Maybe I was too harsh on Chicago's presentation. Even looking past the language difficulties, Tokyo's presentation lacks focus and has all the charm and passion of a medium-sized accounting firm's quarterly report. The contrived effort to show excitement and humor are falling flat. It just isn't translating well in English. And is "Olympism" really a word?

So far:

Chicago - 7.5/10
Tokyo - 6/10
DFDalton no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6327
Wey
Recursive

I see they're emphasizing A LOT the humane, emotional aspect of the bid, which is PRECISELY their weakest point, very cleaver...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #6328
Wey
Recursive

Ohh, how futuristic!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6329
TEBC

Im lovin the videos.. but wtf is this crap music??
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #6330
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

That was a good Tokyo video, perhaps the best one yet.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6331
ryebreadraz

Great video. If Chicago had Tokyo's videos then their presentation would have been outstanding.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM   #6332
TEBC

They are doing very good!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM   #6333
Wey
Recursive

"Robots, passion, manga..."

LMFAO!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6334
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olymp...100209.article

In Copenhagen, Obama makes pitch for Olympics
Obama makes final pitch for Olympics

Comments

October 2, 2009
ASSOCIATED PRESS

COPENHAGEN---- In a hometown pitch for the world's biggest sporting event, President Barack Obama lobbied Olympic leaders to give the 2016 Summer Games to Chicago, saying the U.S. "is ready and eager to assume that sacred trust."

The president and his wife, fellow Chicagoan Michelle Obama, put their capital behind an enormous campaign to win the Olympics bid. Never before had a U.S. president made such an in-person appeal.

"I urge you to choose Chicago," Obama told members of the International Olympic Committee.

"And if you do -- if we walk this path together -- then I promise you this: The city of Chicago and the United States of America will make the world proud," the president said.

Chicago, Rio de Janeiro, Madrid and Tokyo have been making their cases to the IOC for more than a year, but many IOC members were believed to be undecided about which city they would vote for Friday. Some said they might not decide until after the cities made their final presentations in Copenhagen.

Both Obamas spoke on deeply personal terms about Chicago, the city at the center of the world's spotlight so many times, including in November when Barack Obama won the White House and stood proudly with his family.

The president described Chicago as a place of diversity and warmth.

"Chicago is a place where we strive to celebrate what makes us different just as we celebrate what we have in common," he said. "It's a place where our unity is on colorful display ... It's a city that works from its first World's Fair more than a century ago to the World Cup we hosted in the nineties, we know how to put on big events."

For all the anticipation surrounding Obama's appearance in Copenhagen, his arrival at the IOC meeting was decidedly subdued.

The 100-plus committee members, who had already been warned not show bias during the presentations, sat silently as the Obamas walked into the Bella Center with the rest of 12-member Chicago delegation.

Michelle Obama gave a passionate account of what the games would mean to her father, who taught her as a girl how to throw punches better than the boys. She spoke of fond memories of growing up on the South Side of Chicago, sitting with her father and cheering on Olympic athletes.

She noted that her late father had multiple sclerosis, so she knows something about athletes who compete against tough odds.

"Chicago's vision for the Olympic and Paralympic movement is about so much more than what we can offer the games," she said. "It's about what the games can offer all of us -- it's about inspiring this generation and building a lasting legacy for the next."

The president anchored the U.S. charm offensive.

He referenced his own election as a moment when people from around the world gathered in Chicago to see the results last November and celebrate that "our diversity could be a source of strength."

"There is nothing I would like more than to step just a few blocks from my family's home and with Michelle and our two girls welcome the world back to our neighborhood," Obama said. "At the beginning of this new century, the nation that has been shaped by people from around the world wants a chance to inspire it once more."

After the Obamas' comments, the U.S. delegation fielded questions from committee members, and at one point the president jumped in. He said he envisioned that the Chicago games would allow the United States to restore its image as a place that, at its best, is "open to the world."

He emphasized that the White House and the State Department would put their full weight behind making sure international visitors "feel welcome and will come away with the sense of the incredible diversity of the American people." And Americans, he said, will be reminded of their links to the rest of the world.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6335
TEBC

Chicago 7,5/10
Tokyo 9/10
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6336
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Chicago 7,5/10
Tokyo 9/10
I don't think nearly as high of Tokyo. The videos are outstanding, but the rest is very poor IMO and I wouldn't rate it above a 6.5.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6337
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I don't think nearly as high of Tokyo. The videos are outstanding, but the rest is very poor IMO and I wouldn't rate it above a 6.5.
Yeah... but I liked some of the informations.. maybe 7.5. Its too soon to give grades cause I need to wait all presentations.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #6338
Lightness
En travesti

Likes (Received): 62

Having seen Michelle Obama make the case for Chicago I've got to say I'm strongly in favour of Rio.

George Jean Nathan
Lightness no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #6339
ryebreadraz

Tokyo was already playing from behind as Chicago and Rio were the frontrunners and I didn't see anything in the presentation that would catapult Tokyo forward. I think they're all but eliminated at this point.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #6340
TEBC

Where should go Tokyo´s votes? Probably Chicago?

And Madrid probably Rio?
TEBC no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016