daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6361
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Impressive speaking from this second speaker, especially when you take into account that English is his second language. Where was this type of speaking from Tokyo?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM   #6362
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

guilt guilt
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #6363
ryebreadraz

No shock there that they mention the games have never been in S. America. Specifically pointing out the number of games hosted by the US could be seen as taking a shot at the Chicago bid, which could hurt Rio's chances as it could be a sign of a lack of tact.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6364
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

OMG!! This video, just perfect!!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6365
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

How many more times I wonder they going to mention it hasn't been held in South American. I put the over/under at five.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM   #6366
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Smart or dumb I am not sure. Taking a direct shot at private finacing of the games.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM   #6367
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

It's funy to see how most of you are talking as if it was only between Rio and Chicago. You should show a little more respect for the other bids, because you could get a great surprise at the end of the day, i hope so, because both, Rio and Chicago are showing themselves so arrogants and sure about them in the final election. Madrid and Tokyo are great cities, with great bids too. Rio is using a false feeling (victimism?) to win this race, and Chicago is using the Obama's figure to catch the attention. The others two are showing only what they are offering in terms of organization, technical viability..etc. Just get down a little bit please
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM   #6368
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Smart or dumb I am not sure. Taking a direct shot at private finacing of the games.
I don't think it was so smart to mention right off of the bat. Financially, Chicago presents the safest bet and biggest potential revenue and considering that Chicago is Rio's biggest threat, I'd have stayed away from money talk so early on or really, altogether.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #6369
ryebreadraz

Why would Rio bring up television? Yes, you're up to #3, but the US is far and away #1 and with the TV rights for 2016 yet to be sold, a Chicago hosted Olympics would caused the TV money to skyrocket even further. They just put into the IOC members' heads Chicago's greatest strength.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #6370
ryebreadraz

Great use of languages from Rio. English, French, Spanish and I assume we'll hear Portuguese before long as well.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #6371
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

I'm liking VERY MUCH of Rio's presentation!

Overall, it's the best so far, IMO
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #6372
ryebreadraz

A very technically sound presentation so far. They're doing very well to establish that part of their bid. There isn't much emotional or spiritual elements so I guess they're relying on bringing the games to S. America for the first time to cover that part.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6373
Wey
Recursive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
A very technically sound presentation so far. They're doing very well to establish that part of their bid. There isn't much emotional or spiritual elements so I guess they're relying on bringing the games to S. America for the first time to cover that part.
The emotional part is yet to come, with Meirelle's video, I think...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #6374
ryebreadraz

This woman athlete looks like she's angry as she speaks. Not that I think she is, but that's what it looks like.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM   #6375
ryebreadraz

More applause for the speakers or committee members of the Rio bid than any other city's bid. Maybe a sign?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #6376
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Likes (Received): 21

I really don’t get how you people can’t understand that (at least in theory) the Olympic movement is all about world integration through sports.

Of course the right to host the games should not be awarded to countries or cities which are not capable to handle them, but as long two cities, countries, continents, prove they can, it’s totally logic that they should be awarded to the one which hadn’t had the chance before.

Rio is not trying to compete with the US to say that we are stronger, richer, or that we are going to make more revenues, the Olympic Games shouldn’t be about that. They are just trying to show that Rio can make it to a good standard.

Everyone is already inclined to bring the games to Rio, so the committee is just trying to prove that they can handle it. They are not trying to compete with Chicago or any other candidate city, that would be just dumb.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #6377
ryebreadraz

President Lula specifically taking shots at the other countries bidding. A poor move IMO and showing a lack of class. No other bid mentioned the other bids and some of its shortcomings. Everyone else focused only on their own bid and I with President Lula would as well.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6378
gutooo
neonico

Likes (Received): 1497

He is just saying other countries already hosted the olympics games, but Brazil didnt

Flickr
Twitter YouTube

gutooo no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM   #6379
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áporo View Post
I really don’t get how you people can’t understand that (at least in theory) the Olympic movement is all about world integration through sports.

Of course the right to host the games should not be awarded to countries or cities which are not capable to handle them, but as long two cities, countries, continents, prove they can, it’s totally logic that they should be awarded to the one which hadn’t had the chance before.

Rio is not trying to compete which the US to say that we are stronger, richer, or that we are going to make more revenues, the Olympic Games shouldn’t be about that. They are just trying to show that Rio can make it to a good standard.

Everyone is already inclined to bring the games to Rio, so the committee is just trying to prove that we they can handle it. They are not trying to compete with Chicago or any other candidate city.
Sorry, but bidding is a competition. It's proving why you can host the best games in comparison to the rest of the bidding countries. The city that could host the best games is the one that should host and while the amount of money one could generate is not in the spirit of the Olympic movement, to ignore it as a factor is foolish. Money always plays a part, rightly or wrongly.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6380
Wey
Recursive

I think you're really taking out the worst side of the whole thing...
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016