daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6381
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutooo View Post
He is just saying other countries already hosted the olympics games, but Brazil didnt
Then he implies that the other countries would not welcome the games the way Brazil would and that they would not show the same passion. There's no need for it. The point could have been made just the same by focusing only on Rio and how it would welcome the games.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM   #6382
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wey View Post
I think you're really taking out the worst side of the whole thing...
I just think it's a classless move. Every other bid was sure to focus on themselves and while there were plenty of opportunities to take shots at the other bids and show why they are superior in comparison, they did not. They stayed focus on their own bid and I wish Rio would have done the same. An outstanding presentation nonetheless, but I don't like them doing that.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6383
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Yea, its called guilt. Pick us not because we are the best games but because its "our turn". It is fine to feel that why but to make a plea put on others? Rather weak.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6384
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Sorry, but bidding is a competition. It's proving why you can host the best games in comparison to the rest of the bidding countries. The city that could host the best games is the one that should host and while the amount of money one could generate is not in the spirit of the Olympic movement, to ignore it as a factor is foolish. Money always plays a part, rightly or wrongly.
NO!!! It shows we've never had the chance, nor the conditions, which now we have!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6385
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Sorry, but bidding is a competition. It's proving why you can host the best games in comparison to the rest of the bidding countries. The city that could host the best games is the one that should host and while the amount of money one could generate is not in the spirit of the Olympic movement, to ignore it as a factor is foolish. Money always plays a part, rightly or wrongly.
Or that is your way of seeing things. But even if you want to see things from that kind of pragmatic perspective, then you should acknowledge that it all ends up in realpolitik. Which, in a way, is exactly what Lula is doing.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6386
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Was that the first video to get claps? Well done.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM   #6387
ryebreadraz

Quote:
NO!!! It shows we've never had the chance, nor the conditions, which now we have!
Which is why you're one of the favorites now, but to act as if not having hosted the games alone means you should have now is not right. The Olympic bidding process states that the goal is to award the games to the city that could best host the games and exemplify the Olympic spirit, while pushing the Olympic movement. Having never hosted the games, Rio can certainly push the Olympic movement, acting as a a good reason for why it should host, but not THE reason. It takes more than that. It is one part of a very good bid, but that alone cannot be the reason for hosting.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM   #6388
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
It is not the other cities or the IOC's fault that the conditions haven't been right. The chances has always been there if the conditions were.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM   #6389
Wey
Recursive

Quote:
Which is why you're one of the favorites now, but to act as if not having hosted the games alone means you should have now is not right. The Olympic bidding process states that the goal is to award the games to the city that could best host the games and exemplify the Olympic spirit, while pushing the Olympic movement. Having never hosted the games, Rio can certainly push the Olympic movement, acting as a a good reason for why it should host, but not THE reason. It takes more than that. It is one part of a very good bid, but that alone cannot be the reason for hosting.
Then we agree
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6390
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Props to Rio though. Good speakers, even with the disadvantage of speaking mostly in second langauges. Better videos then Chicago and Tokyo though not that much better then I expected. Bonus for having the cutest speaker so far.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6391
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áporo View Post
Or that is your way of seeing things. But even if you want to see things from that kind of pragmatic perspective, then you should acknowledge that it all ends up in realpolitik. Which, in a way, is exactly what Lula is doing.
The difference is that the other bids never did acknowledge the money factor. Chicago could have walked up there and said, "choosing us lines your pockets with billions of dollars more than any other bid." It would have been completely true, but doing so would have been classless and had they done so, they would have been hammered. President Lula made an equally classless move. The IOC members are aware of the money involved, Chicago didn't need to mention it. The IOC members are aware of the comparisons between the two, it didn't need to mentioned.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM   #6392
Wey
Recursive

I may be biased to say this, but: BEST PRESENTATION SO FAR!!!

God, I'm so excited!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM   #6393
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It is not the other cities or the IOC's fault that the conditions haven't been right. The chances has always been there if the conditions were.
But nobody disagrees on that. It's true, we didn't have the means before. That's why we insist: now we do, so have faith on us.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #6394
ryebreadraz

A very good presentation on the whole. I was not a fan of President Lula's speech, but outside of that, I think the presenttion was well handled. I was expecting more from Fernando Meirelless video though, but that could be because I had extraordinarily high expectations due to my appreciation for his films. I think that Rio exemplified why it is such a technically sound bid, although I'm sure the financial and security aspects will be questioned now.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6395
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Quote:
The difference is that the other bids never did acknowledge the money factor. Chicago could have walked up there and said, "choosing us lines your pockets with billions of dollars more than any other bid." It would have been completely true, but doing so would have been classless and had they done so, they would have been hammered. President Lula made an equally classless move. The IOC members are aware of the money involved, Chicago didn't need to mention it. The IOC members are aware of the comparisons between the two, it didn't need to mentioned.
Exactly, they didn't need to mention, they are not risky choices on emerging countries. Rio, on the other hand, did need to.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6396
Wey
Recursive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Props to Rio though. Good speakers, even with the disadvantage of speaking mostly in second langauges. Better videos then Chicago and Tokyo though not that much better then I expected. Bonus for having the cutest speaker so far.
The languages I see as a good thing, sign of their compromise with university

And who is that "cutest speaker"?
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM   #6397
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

Who is him to tell that the other cities would not be so passionate about the games as Rio? I hope the members of CIO are clever enough to see it
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6398
ryebreadraz

49,000 rooms? I believe Chicago said that they would have 75,000. Is Rio expecting a lower number of visitors or do the have alternate accommodations planned? I believe the cruise ships are included in that 49,000 number.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6399
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áporo View Post
But nobody disagress on that. It's true, we didn't have the means before. That's why we insist: now we do, so have faith on us.
You get the games just whenever you are deemed first ready, even if (theoretically) your bid is not as sound? That a stretch to ask others to base a selection on.

All that means when you have the right conditions is that you should be allowed to throw your hat in the ring an earn it against others who also have the right conditions. Others shouldn't be penalized because a given city/nation wasn't ready before but only because they provide the best bid.

Anyway, if someone gives me a million dollars to throw it all or nothing on one bet I am putting it on Rio. They were proactive, effective, and direct at addressing concerns of their bid. They at least equaled and probably surpassed Chicago's presentation.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6400
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
The languages I see as a good thing, sign of their compromise with university

And who is that "cutest speaker"?
The 20 something Olympian gal. I mean not great looking but above average.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016