daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM   #6401
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Prince Albert sure likes his legacy doesn't he?

I'm shocked that nobody questioned Rio on security and their budget, which has been challenged by those who have read the bid. I'd like to hear a response from the Rio delegation on the subject because some good questions have been raised about security and budget, but could easily be explained away.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6402
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

Likes (Received): 21

Of course not! That's a plus. Rio's bid is sound enough. And on top of everything, we have the plus factor.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6403
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Yea, i am getting tired of that question myself. Legacy? To throw a good party, watch some sports, and not go into debt. What else does he f'n want.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6404
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

I totally agree with him. I believe legacy to be one of the most important items. We would make a much better world with more Barcelonas.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #6405
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5760

10/10

Jus perfect.. Best presentation so far!! With a lot of passion from soul and heart! And showingall the guarantees needed to host!! Rio will get it!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #6406
ryebreadraz

I don't think the guarantees question was answered so well. They basically said that they would fulfill their obligations because they wanted to and had to, but I think the IOC is concerned with being able to fulfill the obligations on budget because of the criticism regarding costs that the Olympics can received. There are numbers and facts to support their claim that it can be done, yet they didn't use them. I equate the answer to Chicago's legacy answer. A chance to make a major impact and they let it slip away.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #6407
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
10/10

Jus perfect.. Best presentation so far!! With a lot of passion from soul and heart! And showingall the guarantees needed to host!! Rio will get it!!
I agree that it was the best presentation, but I wouldn't say that it was by far and certainly would not give it a 10. If I gave Chicago a 7.5, I'm giving Rio an 8. Very good, but a few missed opportunities.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #6408
Áporo
turbilhão dicotômico

I believe the most significant difference between our points of view, is that you guys see the Olympic Games as a great party, and we see them as an opportunity of renovation. You see the event, we see the legacy.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #6409
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I don't think the guarantees question was answered so well. They basically said that they would fulfill their obligations because they wanted to and had to, but I think the IOC is concerned with being able to fulfill the obligations on budget because of the criticism regarding costs that the Olympics can received. There are numbers and facts to support their claim that it can be done, yet they didn't use them. I equate the answer to Chicago's legacy answer. A chance to make a major impact and they let it slip away.
The answers part was BY FAR the worst one!

They ran out of focus on two questions... gosh, how much I HATE Sérgio Cabral!!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #6410
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

OK, I'm reading here Rio's presentation was great, whilst the general consensus on the Gamesbids forums is that it was a bit of a trainwreck - even the Brazilians on there are saying they're dissapointed with it. I'm at work so I missed it, but it's weird how two different forums are coming to completely different conclusions.

I mean, I just read this on Gamesbids from one of its most informed and respected members after he'd watched Rio's presentation:

Quote:
I honestly though Rio would just absolutely blitz this - that they had done their homework and knew how to work the room. That was a stonishing. I am.. I am... almost crying from laughter, shaking in horrorr and aghast!

As a long time Olympic watcher, former media representative and having worked for a number of bids in a consultative position I am amazed.

That may have cost the Brazilians 2016.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #6411
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áporo View Post
I believe the most significant difference between our points of view, is that you guys see the Olympic Games as a great party, and we see them as an opportunity of renovation. You see the event, we see the legacy.
The problem with relying on legacy is the history of the Games has shown a poor legacy of cost overruns and unfulfilled guarantees. Legacy is nice speak, but more often than not, the Olympics have left a poor legacy so that term leaves people weary.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #6412
TEBC

"Rio presentation is concluded. Both President Lula and Carlos Nuzman were empassioned and inspiring. It was a very good presentation."

http://twitter.com/gamesbids
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #6413
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
OK, I'm reading here Rio's presentation was great, whilst the general consensus on the Gamesbids forums that it was a bit of a trainwreck - even the Brazilians on there are saying they're dissapointed with it. I'm at work so I missed it, but it's weird how two different forums are coming to completely different conclusions.
I think the posters here are more emotional with regards to the bids, while those over on GamesBids are more practical. You could argue which is the better approach, but I think it explains the difference.

The Rio presentation did well to address the technical side of the bid that will leave the legacy so many want and exemplified Rio's beauty, while making sure to note the fact that, in their opinion, it's time to come to S. America. If Rio could do what they say they will do, the Games would be extraordinary and the country would be better off for it.

I think where the Rio presentation fell short is answering the questions that have dogged the bid, specifically regarding security and financials, which is something that the people on GamesBids, who spend an extraordinary abount of time reviewing bid after bid, games after games, will focus on, especially withe the cost overruns plaguing London and Vancouver. I think in a time of global economic uncertainty and the criticism the Olympics have come under for the debt they cause, people who follow this each and every bid want to see the safe bid that they know can be done well, even if it doesn't reach for the stars.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM   #6414
Carlos Teixeira

Likes (Received): 101

well done Rio... great videos... lot ofs emotion moments...
Carlos Teixeira no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #6415
TEBC

Quote:
OK, I'm reading here Rio's presentation was great, whilst the general consensus on the Gamesbids forums is that it was a bit of a trainwreck - even the Brazilians on there are saying they're dissapointed with it. I'm at work so I missed it, but it's weird how two different forums are coming to completely different conclusions.

I mean, I just read this on Gamesbids from one of its most informed and respected members after he'd watched Rio's presentation:
GamebidsForum are know for the great number of people against Rio´s bid. Including a lot of brazilians. They are not the best to answer how it went.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #6416
TEBC

President Lula's Empassioned Remarks Highlight Rio 2016 Olympic Bid Presentation
Friday, October 2, 2009 7:12am EDT GB Editor
Font size:

Rio de Janeiro presented their 2016 Olympic bid to the IOC third, at 12:05 PM local time in Copenhagen. A summary follows.

IOC member from Brazil Joao Havelange took the stage first. He shared memories of past Games that he participated in.

"I dream of history being made in 2016, the first Games in South America"

Havelange asked IOC members to help celebrate his 100th birthday at the Rio 2016 Games.

President of the Brazilian Olympic Committee Carlos Nuzman took the podium next. He described his past and experience in the Olympic movement. He said he dreams of seeing the whole world in Rio.

"Our economy is dynamic and strong and ready to host the Games" he said.

"Yes, Brazil is ready, Rio is ready. Ready to host the Games of certainty..."

"We are members of the same team that delivered the 2007 Pan American and Parapan-American Games"

Nuzman then showed his now-famous map of Olympic Games spread throughout the world with the exception of Africa and South America. He made a plea to send the Games to South America for the first time.

A video was presented showing various athletic and cultural events happening in typical Rio style. Images of the 2007 Pan Am Games were added.

Sergio Cabral, Governor of the State of Rio de Janiero took the stage and reminded IOC members that Rio was voted happiest city in the world by Forbes Magazine.

Cabral outlined financial plans and goals for the 2016 Games. He said they were ready to start immediately. Transportation improvements are to be completed prior the start of the 2014 World Cup.

With respect to security concerns Cabral said "changes are happening, and happening as the result of sport".

He said policing changes were made as a result of hosting the 2007 Pan Am Games.

He concluded "our people are ready".

Henrique Meirelles, President of the Central Bank of Brazil took the stage and outlined the economic situtation in Brazil including investments and employment. He reviewed the validity of of Rio 2016's finacial plan.

Meirelles said Brazil has the 10th largest economy of the world and will soon be 5th.

Eduardo Paes, Mayor of Rio de Janiero said that the World Cup in 2014 would be used as a springboard for a magnificent Olympic Games in 2016.

He then reviewed the Games masterplan emphasizing short transportation times. A 3D flyover provided a view of the venues planned for the Olympic Games.

He emphasized the valuable legacy venues will provide empasizing that the Olympic Village will provide much required housing and other facilities will be valuable for business.

"Rio 2016 will help change the face of Rio, for visitors and residents for years to come."

The Mayor reminded the IOC members that public support in Rio is 85%.

Brazilian athlete, Sabel Swan, helped develop the venue plan and emphasized that is was designed for the athletes.

She introduced legendary football player Pele and described how he was transformed by sport.

She introduced three other Brazilian athletes and described their accomplishments were recognized.

President Lula of Brazil took the podium. He spoke about millions of Brazilians following the bid on television.

"We are a people passionate about sports and passionate about life"

"I honestly believe it is Brazil's time."

He said that Brazil's bid is the only bid from a country that hasn't hosted before. He said that to the others, it is "just another Games".

"For us it will be an unparalleled opportunity."

"The opportunity now is to expand the Games to new continents. It is time to light the cauldron in a tropical climate."

"The Olympic Games belongs to all people, all continents and all humanity."

"Rio is ready, give us this chance and you will not regret it."

President Lula concluded his emotional remarks.

Another video showed Brazilian culture.

Carlos Nuzman took the podium once again.

"The Olympic flame has always burned the brightest when it has brought people together and marked a new chapter in history."

"Give hope to all cities who inspire to host the Games."

Questions were taken from the floor.

Carlos Nuzman addressed a question about doping - he said Rio will investigate doping matters and exchange information. He said the rules of the IOC regarding doping will be respected.

Carlos Osario answered a question about accomodation and described a flexible plan that addresses the needs of the IOC. The Mayor of Rio, responding to IOC criticism that cruise ships couldn't be reserved seven years out, assured that this would not be a problem.

Prince Albert of Monaco asked what legacy was most important to Rio's bid. The Governor of Rio responded that Rio provides the best legacy of the four cities in terms of infrastructure, transportation, enviroment and quality of life but he said the greatest leagacy will be self-esteem for all Brazilians.

IOC Member Austin Sealy asked how the IOC can be certain that there is no risk to the delivery of the Games. President Lula fielded the question and ensured the committtment of the Federal Government and said that Rio will have the opportunity to deliver more than what was promised.

The meeting was adjourned.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic...216134728.html
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #6417
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
GamebidsForum are know for the great number of people against Rio´s bid. Including a lot of brazilians. They are not the best to answer how it went.
In fairness, the biggest complaint you hear from the GamesBids posters is that Rio shouldn't have even made the shortlist because Doha scored higher in the evaluations and that the technical evaluations were not worthy of an Olympic host. I think there is an argument to be made there. It's not one I would agree with, but it would raise questions as to the IOC's evaluation methods if the city with the fifth highest score did win the Games.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #6418
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:

Oh please! That has the weight of a plum.

I want to hear what the MEDIA VEHICLES have to say, exclusively!
10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #6419
RobH

Likes (Received): 10294

No, people on Gamesbids with Rio logos in their signatures are saying the same thing. There is a general feeling of let-down over there, which has nothing to do with bias.

I'm not talking about the site's news page, I'km talking about Rio supporters in their forums. It's weird how differently they saw this compared to Brazilians here.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6420
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I think where the Rio presentation fell short is answering the questions that have dogged the bid, specifically regarding security and financials, which is something that the people on GamesBids, who spend an extraordinary abount of time reviewing bid after bid, games after games, will focus on, especially withe the cost overruns plaguing London and Vancouver. I think in a time of global economic uncertainty and the criticism the Olympics have come under for the debt they cause, people who follow this each and every bid want to see the safe bid that they know can be done well, even if it doesn't reach for the stars.
Brazil almost made it sound as if it was a lock to not face economic turmoil and they put forth as proof that they seem relatively unscathed by the latest economic crises and have solid growth. This would seem extraordinary short term memory give the periodic economic difficulties, currency wrecks, and ruinous inflation at times over the last sixty or so years. It is good to be optimistic that one may finally be over the hump to count on it without reservation is risky.

A good five year or even ten year economic run doesn't make a fortified bullet proof economy be it a Brazilian, American, or British one.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016