daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #661
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu
Londons had it twice.Why again?I think my prediction will be correct.It's Paris,with Madrid as an outsider.
London have only had it once I belive....and come 2012 it would of been 64 years ago!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #662
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

two
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past...GT=1&OLGY=1908
http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past...GT=1&OLGY=1948
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #663
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu
Londons had it twice.Why again?I think my prediction will be correct.It's Paris,with Madrid as an outsider.
Madrid had had it once already and it wasn't long ago (Barcelona 1992)

London has had it twice but on both times it has rescued the games when they couldn't be held elsewhere for whatever reasons. They were also a long time ago. If I remember rightly Paris has had it twice as well.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #664
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRS
Madrid had had it once already and it wasn't long ago (Barcelona 1992)
u meant SPAIN
kony no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #665
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Yeh I meant Spain, it's a bit late here and I'm tired.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #666
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 840

I'm currently listening to 'Proud', lol (The official London 2012 anthem, for those not in the know)...was wondering, do other bid cities have anthems or songs for their ...well, bids? Proud really does some up the London games package I think.
ferge no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #667
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
If the three European cities don't stop bickering among themselves, they will knock each other out and New York will win easily.
Yes you exactly right. Madrid wont get it.
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #668
PreGy
(T pr0viNcia

Likes (Received): 30

If we remember what a Olympic is, Madrid is the best place for Olympics 2012, without doubt. Next, far away, Paris, then London (last one had'em twice and lose votes). NYC and Moscow can't compare with those three cities in the "Olympics theme".
"Carthagineses, Romanos, Mercenarios y tropas auxiliares. Damas y caballeros. En estos tiempos confusos, tiempos de desorientación y orfandad, tiempos en que muchos a quienes conocemos bien no saben ni quien fue su padre, Cartagena, la antigua Carthago Nova, la antigua Qart-Hadast, la antigua Mastia y quizá la Tharsis bíblica, demuestra cada año, por estas fechas, que sabe perfectamente quienes son sus padres, sus abuelos y los abuelos de sus abuelos." Arturo Pérez-Reverte
PreGy no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #669
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Paris has had them twice, Spain had them in 1992. London bailed the olympic movement out twice, saving the games.
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #670
PreGy
(T pr0viNcia

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Paris has had them twice, Spain had them in 1992. London bailed the olympic movement out twice, saving the games.
EEUU got them several times last twenty years, last one in Atlanta 96
"Carthagineses, Romanos, Mercenarios y tropas auxiliares. Damas y caballeros. En estos tiempos confusos, tiempos de desorientación y orfandad, tiempos en que muchos a quienes conocemos bien no saben ni quien fue su padre, Cartagena, la antigua Carthago Nova, la antigua Qart-Hadast, la antigua Mastia y quizá la Tharsis bíblica, demuestra cada año, por estas fechas, que sabe perfectamente quienes son sus padres, sus abuelos y los abuelos de sus abuelos." Arturo Pérez-Reverte
PreGy no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #671
Citrus-Fruit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Please can we have a bit of common sense in this thread.

Madrid are now the bookies 4th favourites slipping from number 2 after the IOC visit.

The likelyhood of giving Spain the games again is tiny.

Moscow, also held the games recently in 1980, they have been experiencing political problems over the years and recently a top brass official had a close shave with an attempted assaination while the IOC were visiting.

NYC have had major problems with thier stadium but now is all sorted, IOC are still worried with security but I think they can hold a very succesful games, although the Atlanta games will be a big dent in thier chances, considering it was classed as one of the worst organised games ever staged.

Paris - were on top at the first IOC's evaluation by a long way, but they have been pegged back by both NYC and London, it has lost out on the last 2 bids but poor presentations for the 2008 Olympics could still be looked down upon by the international olympic commitee.

London had only been 3rd/4th favourite for a long time after the first IOC's evaluation, now as reported it is the joint favourite in what has been said to be the closest faught battle for the Olympics ever. It has the best Olympic Village plan, stadium design etc and has backing from both the Sydney and Athens olympics.

The voting I think will be like this.

Moscow unfortunately will head out in the first round.
Followed by Madrid
Then it will be extremely close between the next 3. but London will seem to have India's, South Africas and most of the Oceania votes and should make it through to the final 2 which will also include Paris.

From there I ahvent got a clue what will happen, NYC and Moscow could vote for London but Madrid would be more likely to vote for Paris.

Its to unpredictable however, and I still think the only 3 that have a really outstanding chance are NYC, Paris and London.
Citrus-Fruit no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #672
urbanphx
custom user title.

Likes (Received): 0

New York City, period. The simple fact that it has yet to host the games just boggles my mind. Even if another city has a better chance overall, I feel like it's almost paying past dues when it comes to NYC.

It's between New York, London, and Paris - Speculation of others ends there.
urbanphx no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #673
urbanphx
custom user title.

Likes (Received): 0

New York's, overall.

Considering that most people would have absolutely zero idea that the particular ribbon's placement in the London logo is supposed to represent 'the path of the Thames', it just carries no weight with me.

Madrid's is fairly unoriginal, too.

Moscow's is okay.

But behind NY, Paris' is second to me.
urbanphx no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #674
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

LONDON 2012 LOGO ON LANDMARKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit
Does anyone have images of the London Logo highlighted on its landmarks?

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #675
_keen_
Friend

Likes (Received): 3

London - old. Paris - very playfull and warm !
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #676
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

i am assuming everyone has looked at the fantastic set of videos on the london2012 website

sport at heart is especially good, plus good old sue telling us all about the bid

http://www.webcast.ukcouncil.net/hosted/london2012/

have a look
brummad no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #677
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Likes (Received): 1

If you want a better understanding of this whole thing go to GAMESBIDS.COM

Im going to stay up all night watchin the IOC presentations on ESPN and NBS on the night of July 5th.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #678
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Here's Mandela's vote: ... LONDON

Mandela backs London bid
06/04/2005 15:06 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Former President Nelson Mandela is backing London's bid to host the 2012 Olympics.

"There is no city like London," the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize winner said in a statement on Wednesday. "It is a wonderfully diverse and open city providing a home to hundreds of different nationalities from all over the world.

"I can't think of a better place than London to hold an event that unites the world. London would offer something very special to the Olympic Movement, including great new sporting facilities and a legacy for generations to come."

London is competing against New York, Paris, Madrid and Moscow in the highest-profile bid race in Olympic history. The International Olympic Committee will select the host city on July 6.

"Nelson Mandela's backing for London 2012 is a powerful indication of the breadth of support that our bid is receiving all over the world," British Sports Minister Richard Caborn said at a news conference.

Caborn and bid chairperson Sebastian Coe met on Monday with Mandela, who did not attend the news conference. The anti-apartheid leader has been a strong advocate of using sport to unite people.

Old April 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #679
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

we love you nelson!
brummad no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #680
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

New York is the cultural and economic center of the world, no one can beat that. New York 2012
SDK4 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016