daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6841
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

Congratulations to RIO DE JANEIRO from sLOVEnia
Capital78 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6842
angola25
Uberaba/MG

Likes (Received): 239

CONGRATULATIONS RIO DE JANEIRO, CONGRATULATIONS BRAZIL!!!!!!

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #6843
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I think initiating financial retaliation would be the worst possible thing the USA could do. It would play right into the hands of anti-American sentiment.

Also, calling the voting process "corrupt" is a bit hyperbolic. How is it corrupt that they vote for the city they want to vote for? What needs to be changed is getting them to want to vote for a US city not the voting process itself.

Even though I think it will be a waste of time given the current world wide sentiments I wouldn't doubt some US city will want to bid on 2020 (though I'm racking my brain on what cities would be viable candidates since Chicago's $450 billion wasn't enough and only LA and New York are richer). Whether the USOC will go along is another matter.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6844
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4360

CONGRATULATIONS RIO DE JANEIRO

from Thailand.
napoleon no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6845
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Despite the utter shock that many people felt not only in the US but across the world of Chicago's abrupt exit from the bidding process, there is only one thing I can say.

RIO DE JANERIO

Congradulations. The more deserving city won. Your time is now. I'm 100% positive that a city as beautiful and unique as Rio will put on a Olympic event that will be remembered for generations to come.

image hosted on flickr
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6846
Dubrovnik
Architectural Digest

Likes (Received): 2582

Dubrovnik no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6847
plasmalover

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
a lack of respect for the Olympics.......

These IOC members have to be the most self-important assclowns in the world. To lobby these people like they are important for a sporting event.....
Again, I hate to sound like a sore loser (because I would pick Rio over any other city beside Chicago), but this vote was a complete slap in the face to the U.S..
But you are sounding like a sore loser. I'm an American and I hoped for Chicago to win, but I also knew that Rio would give a good fight and they did. What did the Chicago bid in was probably due to LA 1984, Atlanta 96 and SLC 02; that an 3 Olympics in 30 years, now tell me what other country has had that many Olympics? Also, the IOC is probably not very happy with the USOC opening their own TV channel that takes away profit from the IOC. The IOC has mentioned many times that they want to spread the games to different countries and this time, they stuck to it.

Congrats to Rio, you guys deserved it!

Last edited by plasmalover; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
plasmalover no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #6848
soup or man
Avant Garde

Please for heaven's sake. This is Rio's moment. Can we not start with the negativity?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #6849
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Congrats Rio, this is your moment, and enjoy your party .

Commiserations to the other cities, it was heartbreaking just watching the reactions of the crowds in Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago - but they should all be proud of their bids, and the outstanding qualities of them - their cities made this one of the closest run contests in history. After watching the bid videos I for one am definitely heading to those cities some time in my life - they were utterly amazing.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6850
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I think initiating financial retaliation would be the worst possible thing the USA could do. It would play right into the hands of anti-American sentiment.

Also, calling the voting process "corrupt" is a bit hyperbolic. How is it corrupt that they vote for the city they want to vote for? What needs to be changed is getting them to want to vote for a US city not the voting process itself.

Even though I think it will be a waste of time given the current world wide sentiments I wouldn't doubt some US city will want to bid on 2020 (though I'm racking my brain on what cities would be viable candidates since Chicago's $450 billion wasn't enough and only LA and New York are richer). Whether the USOC will go along is another matter.
They already hate us, we have nothing to loose. It's not like they’re going to vote for another American city next time, no one is going to want to vote for an American city because they're going to think no other IOC members are going to want to. It's not going to change any time soon. Our cities don't need the Olympics to be sucessful. If Chicago can't even get to the final round is useless. That's the best possible bid we can put forward! The money we spend on bidding is just going to be a waste.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6851
OEincorparated

Likes (Received): 47

Go Rio!

Finally it's the United States turn to suffer.
OEincorparated no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #6852
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Onn, you're being stupid. Would the IOC be anti-Japanese if they'd gone out first or anti-Spanish if they'd gone out first and would you support retaliation from them? Pipe down and stop being such a poor loser. Chicago was unlucky that it was the first city out, but one had to be unfortunately.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #6853
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

hey c'mon I dont think it was so much anti-American sentiment, more pro-South America-holding-it-the-first-time sentiment that tipped the scales (The US having held the Olympics as recently as 2002 didn't help either). -Just look at the final score, with Rio getting twice the votes as Madrid, and before that more than twice Tokyo's. In short there was no real contest, it was always going to be Rio, especially after the first round. Those who voted for Chicago and Tokyo almost all voted for Rio.

Look at the scores - this was always going to be a Rio versus Madrid contest from the start.

Round 1

Chicago 18
Rio 26
Madrid 28
Tokyo 22

Round 2

Madrid 29
Rio 46
Tokyo 20

Round 3

Rio 66
Madrid 32

In other words it's not the close-run first choice that wins the contest, but what the officials put as their second choice. This worked in the same way when London won for 2012 - more people initially wanted Paris and even madrid before London, but as cities were eliminated 'second choicers' picked London before Paris.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #6854
plasmalover

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
They already hate us, we have nothing to loose. It's not like they’re going to vote for another American city next time, no one is going to want for an American city because they're going to think no other members are going to want to. It's not going to change any time soon. Our cities don't need the Olympics to be sucessful. If Chicago can't even get to the final round is useless. That's the best possible bid we can put forward! The money we spend on bidding is just going to be a waste.
Naw.. Just because the US didn't win this time doesn't mean that the Olympic games will never come back to the US. Have some perspective, the US has had more Olympic Games (summer+ winter) than any other country. It's just time for other countries to host and Rio is an awesome place to visit. You know, you can't win them all.. I'm sure we'll win either 2020 or 2024.
plasmalover no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6855
soup or man
Avant Garde

I'm going to make a bold statement.

DC 2020
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #6856
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

To american:

Which could be the cities for 2020?

San Francisco and then?

I think in 2020 or in Europe or in India.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #6857
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

wow, go for it, that would be amazing. Id love NYC or San Fran though, they would have amazing bids

provided in my personal dictatorship:

NYC holds something up on a skyhigh event, as befitting its skyline status (anyone check out that stadium some students proposed on top of several skyscrapers?).

San Fran does open air diving with the stunning backdrop of the Golden gate Bridge.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6858
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
I think in 2020 or in Europe or in India.
Maybe Africa (South Africa or Tunisia or Egypt.....) before India.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6859
PauloLescaut

Likes (Received): 7630

Thank you guys very much! We WON. It's just!

PauloLescaut no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6860
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

Whatever, we'll just win all the medals again.

Seriously though, congratulations to Rio.
Kapow32 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016